It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 249
<< 246  247  248    250  251  252 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

I know analysts expectations, and I have seen Citi's projected via Pandits memo (around 19 billion first two quarters)..

the whisper number is actually positive 7 cents.. go figure right?

lets see how this arbitrage plays out..

my order was never filled anyways, but im extremely interested in what is going on..

btw, i wouldnt put a dime in the market anyway tomorrow, about 1000 headlines to mull over before 9am

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought
reply to post by stander

Celebs more than welcome. When we hit 5,000 posts I suggest a minute's silence - to preserve a fitting atmosphere of solemnity - then we let loose with our images of what the last six months' chaos has meant.

Incidentally, can you, or somebody else, tell me why the Nasdaq is currently doing a right angle?!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/826c6637aa2e.png[/atsimg]

Source

In my opinion there are two reasons. One: most middle and lower class individuals just received there income tax checks in the first quarter of the year. The average return is $1800.00 per family and the American's just pumped back into the system over the last quarter. Two: the stimulus package is just now reaching the state governments hands; this will also have a temporary effect on the market. Temporary is the key word here. I predict by June 2009 everything will bottom out, oil prices will skyrocket and the Government will step in and say the stimulus package did not do what they thought it would that the economy was just to far gone, then they will start federalizing everything from the banks to hospitals to maybe even the food supply. You will have a bunch of uneducated people say well poor Obama tried, he gave us a lot of money it just wasn't enough and it was too late, then the government gets off without to much uproar from the American citizens. People will actually be grateful for the federalizing of our economical and social systems, because everyone will be scared out of there skin.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Melissa101

that chart is not correct, i watch the ticker all day

there is an obvious mix-up with data if that is the intraday NASDAQ

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melissa101

Originally posted by pause4thought
reply to post by stander

Celebs more than welcome. When we hit 5,000 posts I suggest a minute's silence - to preserve a fitting atmosphere of solemnity - then we let loose with our images of what the last six months' chaos has meant.

Incidentally, can you, or somebody else, tell me why the Nasdaq is currently doing a right angle?!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/826c6637aa2e.png[/atsimg]

Source

In my opinion there are two reasons. One: most middle and lower class individuals just received there income tax checks in the first quarter of the year. The average return is $1800.00 per family and the American's just pumped back into the system over the last quarter. Two: the stimulus package is just now reaching the state governments hands; this will also have a temporary effect on the market. Temporary is the key word here. I predict by June 2009 everything will bottom out, oil prices will skyrocket and the Government will step in and say the stimulus package did not do what they thought it would that the economy was just to far gone, then they will start federalizing everything from the banks to hospitals to maybe even the food supply. You will have a bunch of uneducated people say well poor Obama tried, he gave us a lot of money it just wasn't enough and it was too late, then the government gets off without to much uproar from the American citizens. People will actually be grateful for the federalizing of our economical and social systems, because everyone will be scared out of there skin.

I hope you are not serious.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Serious, yes I suppose I am. What do you find so amusing? No people will not literlay be scared out of their skin, but they will be scared and grateful (many uneducated folks anyway) to see the federalization. I think we will see a strat to this in June and run to the end of 09 maybe into 10. What do you see happening?

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
S&P 500 -3.90 857.60 4/16 11:28pm
Fair Value 861.62 4/16 10:00pm
Difference* -4.02

NASDAQ -10.25 1341.75 4/16 9:59pm
Fair Value 1351.40 4/16 10:00pm
Difference* -9.65

Dow Jones -29.00 8034.00 4/16 11:45pm
===
Hang Seng 15,885.18 11:48PM ET Up 302.19 (1.94%)
Nikkei 225 8,922.19 11:43PM ET Up 166.93 (1.91%)
Taiwan Weighted 5,950.42 11:43PM ET Down 46.75 (0.78%)
===
Gold $874.25

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Treasury May Retain Grip on U.S. Banks With Warrants After Share Buybacks
www.bloomberg.com...

Stiglitz Says White House Ties to Wall Street Doom Bank Rescue
bloomberg.com...

April 16 (Bloomberg) -- The Obama administration’s plan to fix the U.S. banking system is destined to fail because the programs have been designed to help Wall Street rather than create a viable financial system, Nobel Prize-winning economist Joseph Stiglitz said.

“All the ingredients they have so far are weak, and there are several missing ingredients,” Stiglitz said in an interview. The people who designed the plans are “either in the pocket of the banks or they’re incompetent.”

The Troubled Asset Relief Program, or TARP, isn’t large enough to recapitalize the banking system, and the administration hasn’t been direct in addressing that shortfall, he said. Stiglitz said there are conflicts of interest at the White House because some of Obama’s advisers have close ties to Wall Street.
More at Links...

An Open Challenge To The States
market-ticker.org...

I'm stunned.

Washington DC's Pelosi (Speaker of The House) and many of the so-called "drive by" media are trying to play off the "Tea Parties" as some sort of right-wing partisan thing.

They're wrong.

I was one of the first to call for mailing Tea Bags to legislators.

Therefore, on February 1st, which is more than enough time for Barack Obama to be seated in his chair in the West Wing, I am recommending an act of peaceful, lawful and yet unmistakable protest.

That is, to mail President Obama one teabag. Nothing dangerous, nothing illegal - just one teabag.

Send one to your Congressman and one to each Senator.
More at Links...

Washingon Corruption: FRONT AND CENTER
market-ticker.org...

Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) blasted "tea party" protests yesterday, labeling the activities "despicable" and shameful."

"The ‘tea parties’ being held today by groups of right-wing activists, and fueled by FOX News Channel, are an effort to mislead the public about the Obama economic plan that cuts taxes for 95 percent of Americans and creates 3.5 million jobs," Schakowsky said in a statement.

I'll tell you what's despicable and shameful.

CHICAGO (AP) — The husband of an Illinois congresswoman pleaded guilty Wednesday to tax violations and bank fraud for writing rubber checks and failing to collect withholding tax from an employee.

Robert Creamer, a political consultant married to four-term U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky, could face four years in prison on the two felony counts when he is sentenced Dec. 21.

David Tice Says S&P May Plunge 62% To 325
zerohedge.blogspot.com...

[edit on 4/16/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Melissa101

I guess im not sure if you are implying that the intraday chart on the NASDAQ is reflecting that because of what you have said in the previous post..

But if you are talking future of the economy..? Markets "crash" and recover... take a look at the all time DJIA... plenty of action..

For the near term I am waiting for this consolidation to meet up with the 20 DAY EMA then we spike to the 200 EMA around 9000. Its all setting up.

EDIT : We will trend always if possible to ANTI-Nationalization of anything

Just like we are really not taking over AIG .. just selling pieces off and absorbing losses till then, hopefully we (tax payers) end up with a profit

Take a look - AIG just sold I believe a 2 BIL dollar portion of business I heard earlier this trading session..

Dont believe the hype when people say this market/econ will have everyone lined up in soup kitchens or live a totally different way of life. The global outlooks/trends are always changing like they did 100 years ago, 80 years ago, 60 years ago etc... we will get through whatever "this" is.

I mean hey, you just missed about 40% if you havent been dollar cost averaging - which you should prob. do, b/c we might (and prob will) test lows of 6500 range again

I invite you to pull up the last 80 years on the Dow ... roller coaster.. but guess what, you can basically draw a straight diagonal line up to where we are right now.. hang in there buddy

[edit on 16-4-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

"David Tice, the chief portfolio strategist for bear markets"

LOL - thats all that needs to be said

I wonder how short this guy is... take a look at how hedge's are bleeding lately...

Same thing with that wicked witch on CNBC Karen Finnerman.. damn she is so short most of this market ex. csco... hate her - heard her hedge is down HUGE and she has been pumping CROX from 40 to 2 dollars HAHAHA

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Better take care of that Citi Stock...2nd or 3rd lawsuit I've seen...

Citigroup Sued by Braintree for Selling Disguised Auction Bonds
www.bloomberg.com...

April 17 (Bloomberg) -- Citigroup Inc., which agreed to buy back almost $20 billion in auction-rate securities, was sued over claims that it sold the instruments as money-market investments even while it was under investigation.

The New York-based bank is accused by Braintree Laboratories Inc. of selling the closely held pharmaceutical company about $33.2 million in auction-rate securities last year that were described as money-market instruments.

“The June 2008 through August 2008 sales of auction-rate securities ran parallel to both Citigroup’s internal investigations into its fraudulent marketing practices and its negotiations with multiple government agencies,” the company said in its complaint filed yesterday in federal court in Boston.
More at Link...

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   

oh theres prob about 100 just like that lol..

the only reason I would go long on this (after earnings and resolution on the arbitrage) would be to close my eyes for twenty years..

i say this b/c now its not clear what is going on with arbitrage and if they are changing the conversation ratio on the preferred.. there are about 100 angles seriously to this stock right now that make it a "lottery ticket" like I previously said and basically untradeable unless you are an institution or an options monster

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
S&P 500 -4.90 856.60 4/17 0:56am
Difference* -5.02

NASDAQ -12.50 1339.50 4/17 0:34am
Difference* -11.90

Dow Jones -50.00 8013.00 4/17 0:54am
===
Shanghai Composite 2,508.51 1:01AM ET Down 25.62 (1.01%)
Hang Seng 15,805.01 1:01AM ET Up 222.02 (1.42%)
Nikkei 225 8,859.24 12:56AM ET Up 103.98 (1.19%)
Seoul Composite 1,319.00 12:57AM ET Down 17.72 (1.33%)
Taiwan Weighted 5,764.98 12:57AM ET Down 232.19 (3.87%)
*BAM*
===
Gold $873.63
===
Japan LDP unveils share price emergency plan
www.reuters.com...

[edit on 4/17/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
S&P 500 -4.90 856.60 4/17 0:56am
Difference* -5.02

NASDAQ -12.50 1339.50 4/17 0:34am
Difference* -11.90

Dow Jones -50.00 8013.00 4/17 0:54am
===
Shanghai Composite 2,508.51 1:01AM ET Down 25.62 (1.01%)
Hang Seng 15,805.01 1:01AM ET Up 222.02 (1.42%)
Nikkei 225 8,859.24 12:56AM ET Up 103.98 (1.19%)
Seoul Composite 1,319.00 12:57AM ET Down 17.72 (1.33%)
Taiwan Weighted 5,764.98 12:57AM ET Down 232.19 (3.87%)
*BAM*
===
Gold $873.63
===
Japan LDP unveils share price emergency plan
www.reuters.com...

The TW Index just jumped out of a huge wedge triangle pattern if you take a look.. up 5 weeks straight and really strong, a great move

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   

So...yer saying this...

Taiwan Weighted 5,707.69 1:15AM ET Down 289.48 (4.83%)

Is a good thing ???

OK

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Looking to the longer term right now, I am looking over S&P500 shares compared to their most recent earnings report, and we are seeing an ever increasing span between profit and price. Most are reporting losses, while stock prices are increasing. Even though we have seen a massive correction that has dropped the DOW and S&P beyond what I would have predicted as "worst case scenario" I have to say the S&P is highly over valued. I think we might see things calm down a bit as far as the rally goes this week, though I would not expect the DOW or S&P to drop anymore then a few points as a weekly average. But we should be seeing if anything a gradual correction of over priced shares to earnings soon. Spring for some reason is always a hot time for markets, kinda like.. rebirth if you will
but as we approach summer, I don't feel to optimistic.

Just some long term views of mine.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Its ok..

hang seng goes up and down 500-1000 points a day sometimes..

it needs to happen in order to go up again..

still green for the week too, impressive actually

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   

The Hang Seng might be able to absorb that at 15,805, but, the Taiwan weighted at 5,744 ???

Hang Seng 15,805.01 1:32AM ET Up 222.02 (1.42%)
Taiwan Weighted 5,744.18 1:27AM ET Down 252.99 (4.22%)

Hmmm...OK...you seem to be on a roll so, I'll relent...fer now...

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Looking to the longer term right now, I am looking over S&P500 shares compared to their most recent earnings report, and we are seeing an ever increasing span between profit and price. Most are reporting losses, while stock prices are increasing. Even though we have seen a massive correction that has dropped the DOW and S&P beyond what I would have predicted as "worst case scenario" I have to say the S&P is highly over valued. I think we might see things calm down a bit as far as the rally goes this week, though I would not expect the DOW or S&P to drop anymore then a few points as a weekly average. But we should be seeing if anything a gradual correction of over priced shares to earnings soon. Spring for some reason is always a hot time for markets, kinda like.. rebirth if you will
but as we approach summer, I don't feel to optimistic.

Just some long term views of mine.

I think they might be reporting losses y/y but havent really been dissapointing. So far I would say most major equities have been blowing out of the water, then selling on the news

BUY on RUMOR and SELL on NEWS

pretty stupid, but yeah..

I agree somewhat with you say though, and right now is a hot time for stocks - I'm just afraid of what happens to confidence in the market when/if we retrace these new lows.. could get ugly

EDIT : to add another small glimmer of hope we actually had a GREEN IPO for once, unreal huh? Rosetta Stone LOL

[edit on 17-4-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

no.. its def a % hit...

but not only what we "retail investors in USA" cant see, but there is most likely a underlying reason for that fluctuation...

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
And people wonder if the .GOV is in touch with their Employers ???

ABC: Obama 'Unaware of Tea Parties'
White House out of touch with 'cultural phenomenon' of tax day protests.
www.businessandmedia.org...
www.google.com...

Maybe he just doesn’t know that there are people who disagree with his massive tax and spend agenda. That would explain a lot. Perhaps the network media’s near silence on the “tea party” phenomenon has kept President Obama from realizing that hundreds of tax day protests will happen today?

“The White House says the president is unaware of the tea parties and will hold his own event today,” ABC’s Dan Harris said on “Good Morning America” on April 15.

Harris’s story was the first ABC News report specifically about the tea parties since Rick Santelli’s of CNBC’s famous rant calling for a Chicago Tea Party back in February. CNBC’s Joe Kernen referred to Santelli’s impact on spurring the tea parties as a “cultural phenomenon.”
More at Link...

Feeder Cattle 98.825
Pork Bellies 86.525
Lean Hogs 57.35
Live Cattle 85.125

new topics

top topics

<< 246  247  248    250  251  252 >>

join