It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we get the flu vaccine?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Hi eveyone. I'm trying to get a general idea of overall societies opinion of the flu shot. ATS is the perfect place to do this, since we have members from all over the world on here. Honest opinions only please.

At the place where my wife and I both work, they give us a half day off work to go and get the shot. Yesterday a memo went out to us all advising us that the program has started again and giving us location and time details to get the free shot. We're in Calgary. A city of about 1.1 million people. There are 3 locations to get the vaccine for free this year. None very close to where we are.

I got it the last 2 years. No problems with either. I had never recieved it in my life before that time and was sick with the flu only once in the previous 5 or 6 years before my first shot. I have several friends that refuse to get it and last year, exactly one of them got the flu. That's exactly how many friends I have who got the flu DIRECTLY AFTER getting vaccinated. So now I find myself on the fence again.

Do you get the flu shot? Do you think it's overhyped and unnecessary? Our toddler son is in a very big and busy daycare. I think maybe we should get it for him but what do you think?

I'm starting to think maybe it's good to get it for babies and toddlers and maybe the elderly and those with weakened immune systems, but probably not really needed for healthy adults (ie; the bulk of society). Do you think that's about right?

Opinions and thoughts, please.

[edit on 10/16/2008 by Static Sky]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
In a word: NO.

There is no evidence that increased antibodies reduces one's chance of getting a disease.

See this thread and look for the vids I posted:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
NO NO NO NO NO

The flu shot is a crap shoot. They make the current flu shot out of what was most prevalent last year. There are many strains of the flu each year because the virus is constantly morphing and changing.

I have a 6 yr old who has NEVER been vaccinated and he is healthier than all his friends combined. Never had an ear infection, no allergies, no asthma (sp?)

Do a little reading on vaccines in general.

You never know what else is in those shots.

Google spanish flu and do a little reading there.

Stay healthy, be well, and DON'T DO IT!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

Good link. Thank you for that. But it is known that a flu vaccine contains the 3 most likely (according to scientists predictions), strains to spread across a region in any given year. It's also known that once the human body defeats a particular strain of flu virus, it is immune to that strain, at least for a time. I have no doubt the flu vaccine works (though is not flawless-some do get sick just from it). I just wonder if it's really necessary for healthy adults.

And I understand that there are risks involved. Besides the aforementioned sickness that can be caused by it, there are of course the chemical and mercury concerns, as the thread you linked us to seemed to cover pretty thoroughly. Can I assume you won't be getting one then? Thanks again for your input.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I get mine every year.
I almost never get the flu and if I get it, it's usually mild.

I say get the shot.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ThatDGgirl

Hi ThatDGirl. I've done loads of reading on it and that's why I'm asking for other peoples opinions. For every article that sais don't, another sais do. For every one that claims dangers, another claims likewise. I want to know how many of our members are doing it and how many aren't. I'll put you on the 'no' side too, then. Thank you very much for your input. Be well.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I read an article on MSNBC today that states even some healthcare workers are refusing to get the flu shot. I have never had a flu shot and I have never had the flu. I've known many people who got the shot and always get the flu afterwards.

There's plenty of good information on how to boost your immune system naturally by eating high-potency organic food. Check the Health News link in my sig.

Stay away from junk food, fast food and processed food. None of it has any nutrition.

If you're not eating crap that suppresses the immune system, you can fight off common illnesses like colds and flu.

Plus if you DO feel like you're coming down with something, take some natural supplements like echinacea... much safer and more effective than flu shots manufactured in a lab with who only knows what sort of toxic chemicals.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

A vote for 'yes'. Thanks for your opinion Wildbob77. I've had no problems in the 2 years I've had it either. But I know others who have. Take care.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I have read before that the flu shot would be a perfect way to implant "chips" in everyone....no one would know they were getting one.
Before you write me and call me names, I just said I have read that before, I didn't say it was fact......

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by annestacey

Very good advice, whether we're talking about vaccinations or just day to day life. I try not to eat too much junkfood and my job gets me plenty of excersize. But just to make a small point, I've read that many supliments can harm you, too. And I've read tons on the other side. It's hard to know what to believe anymore. Cheers for your good advice.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by scrubsnstuffkim
I have read before that the flu shot would be a perfect way to implant "chips" in everyone....no one would know they were getting one.
Before you write me and call me names, I just said I have read that before, I didn't say it was fact......

No I've read that too. I don't buy it but yah, I've read it. I guess in theory it could be a good way, but so would many other things we're exposed to all the time. Dentist, acupuncture....Or they could just offer everyone some money to do it voluntarily. That could do it, too. Peace. And thank you for the flag.

[edit on 10/16/2008 by Static Sky]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I would agree the answer is NO ... if you are eating a balanced diet and extra vitamin c then there should be no need for it. Your body is going to fight it without help.I do not take any medicine if it isn't made by nature and i have not had any major problems in the past...i know what is good for my body and my body is my temple noone is going to make me corrupt it if it isnt natural ...if you do get the flu then you should let your body fight it .... Im not a doctor but i use a hot tatti (tea with an alchol in it) and lots of sleep to help my body fight it and it has worked just fine all my life.

Again im not a doctor and you should listen to your gut on what is best for you

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by scrubsnstuffkim

The needle is way too small to inject a chip. So, I can't agree with that one.

An rfid chip is like the size of a grain of salt.

It take a pretty good sized needle to inject it.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

I like my tatti's on the rocks but I hear what you're saying. Would you consider getting it for a toddler if you knew that not getting it for him would pretty much guarantee that he gets the flu this year?

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I've never had the flu shot before and it seems that every year I end up with the flu, thanks to my 4 daughters who seem to be resistant to it but bring the germs from school home to me!

I just met with my Doctor a few hours ago and because I had a high fever earlier in the week and brain surgery last May, he felt I would be better off having a flu shot than going through another year of being ill for three weeks with influenza. I agreed with him and they jabbed me with a needle and I have now had my flu shot.

The needle they used was ultra small so I find it impossible to believe they could have put a chip in me but with technology as it is, I guess maybe they could have.

If I develop any odd side effects I'll let you all know!

Jemison

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
A lot will say "I get the shot every year and I don't get the flu, so I would get it if I were you". The chances of getting the flu is pretty rare and dieing is really rare, so I don't think its a big issue. Sure, getting it would suck, but that's life. Can't protect yourself from everything I figure.

Some years they completely miss the strain of virus that will be most prevalent. They have to try and predict which will be the biggest threat but they can be really off at times. The flu vaccine only works against like 4 of 100 strains or something I believe I read awhile ago, go look it up if you want because its probably off.

Most of the required shots have mercury taken out, but flu vaccine still uses it. If you decide to get it, you can ask for a vaccine that doesn't have mercury which it what I'd recommend.

In general, stay away from anything that is mainstream healthcare, a lot of it is pretty nasty stuff. Focus on natural treatments, eating right, exercising ect. A lot of people want a pill or something to protect themselves, while this is easy and main stream medicine is more than willing to comply, you're much better off exercising and that kind of thing to maintain health. I wouldn't be surprised if exercise was just as effective against the flu as a vaccine, all opinion of course. But I believe people that rely on mainstream medicine to cure themselves will be very sorry eventually. Stay as far away as you can and the healthier you will be (unless its an emergency
)

[edit on 16-10-2008 by ghaleon12]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Good thread StaticSky.

I used to get the flu shots when I was a kid. I didn't really have a choice. At that time, we considered it more like choosing when to be sick, when the inevitable virus ran through the children, us being the vector of contamination. I was always told that it was an intert form of the virus that we were innoculated with. I didn't notice that the flu I got was any worse or easier than what everyone else got. I'm certain it's improved over the years.

Once I was older -- about 10, I objected, and my parents didn't force me to get it. Yes, I frequently get a flu, although it's been at least three years since I've gotten it. The most important thing about avoiding it, IMO, is avoiding people who are sick, avoiding things they have touched, washing your hands a lot when around sick people, and trying to not touch your face when you've been around sick people. The CDC recommendation is that people at higher risk of complications from the flu get shots:

People who should get vaccinated each year are:

Children aged 6 months up to their 19th birthday
Pregnant women
People 50 years of age and older
People of any age with certain chronic medical conditions
People who live in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities
People who live with or care for those at high risk for complications from flu, including:
a. Health care workers
b. Household contacts of persons at high risk for complications from the flu
c. Household contacts and out of home caregivers of children less than 6 months of age (these children are too young to be vaccinated)

www.cdc.gov...

I have a couple of personal thoughts about the flu shots. One, I think that with the speed that antigens shift, often what we're getting as an innoculation has shifted beyond that, and thus the shot is ineffective. I know that friends of ours that have gotten flu shots still got (some kind of) flu.

Some health professionals believe that flu shots are related to Guillain-Barré syndrome: www.lauricidin.com... Also, I believe that all but a few million of the vaccinations probably still contain thimerisol. I personally believe that thimerisol is linked to autism in children, despite it's being declared "safe" by the FDA. Why, oh, why, would anyone (a) introduce mercurial compounds into a human being on purpose and (b) not tell anyone?

Which leads me to the bottom line for me. I just don't trust the drug companies anymore. I think it's too much of a business, and I don't trust governments and their tinkering with additives and other things. I may be paranoid, but that same paranoia has saved my bacon a time or two, and thus I have no direct evidence that leads me to distrust it. See how that works? A true paranoid can use their own circular reasoning to reinforce their beliefs.
I got really leery last year, when the medical community seemed to be really pushing flu shots, with little signs like "get yours now! Not many left" etc. Maybe that's just sales.

Okay, sorry for the novella. Obviously this is something I ponder about this time of year as people line up at one of the two places here to get shots.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I got my annual flu shot 2 weeks ago. Haven't had any problems so far.

I am also up to date on all my adult vaccines.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Lots of great thoughts. Thanks a lot everyone. And argentus, terrific post!
Thanks for the links. Very well thought out. I'm glad to see both sides making their cases and I hope I get some more thoughtfull arguements. I need to decide in the next week if I'll get it. My wife is choosing to get hers. But we still need to decide on our son. She wants it. He's in daycare and will likely get sick if I convince her to skip it. tough call.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
NO.

And that's coming from the Plague Doctor.

I think everyone else has covered why... it would be redundant for me to go on about it.

I will edit to add my anecdotal opinion... I think the flu shot, paricularly, has the effect of absolutely destroying the human immune system... like making it weak to everything except what it has been specifically vaccinated against. (if that.)

I was not vaccinated as a kid other than a few things. I rarely if ever get sick now, but those who have had the flu shot seem to be chronically sick.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by asmeone2]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join