posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:18 AM
I just occurred to me that it's probably within the parameters of this thread (or at least the OP's intent) to discuss other ways of NOT getting the
flu besides getting a flu shot.
1. Do wash your hands a lot, but avoid antibacterial soaps and sterilizing cleaners. Your immune system needs exposure to microorganisms in order to
2. At the beginning of flu season, take some echinacea for about 3 weeks. It boosts your immune system naturally.
3. Eat a healthy diet and make sure you're getting enough of the essential vitamins such as C, E, and the B complex.
4. Stress can not be underestimated as a cause of illness. Getting worried, upset, "stressed out", frustrated, etc. is very likely to lead to
physical illness such as a cold or the flu. Try to avoid stress or deal with it, don't allow yourself to be stressed, especially not for days or
weeks at a time.
5. Investigate herbal remedies and keep them on hand for when you feel a flu or cold "coming on." Many of them really work, and quite well. Large
doses of Echinacea and garlic, taken together, can often ward off a virus before it gets a good foothold in the body, and products such as Zinc
lozenges and Zicam can help, too. I have gotten the flu within the past few years, but I was only "down" with it for about 36 hours and then I
switched over to the "getting over it" stage - due, I'm absolutely certain, to the stuff (echinacea, garlic, zinc, stress vitamins) I took at the
first twinge of symptoms.