It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Stocked Up Yet? Time Is Running Out

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
yeahhhh sumthings up....was shopping this weekend and prices are higher...skipped a bunch of stuff waiting for a sale.....maybe this shipping finance issue is real.....i don't think i can stock enough toilet paper tho to go with the rice and beans

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Yup and the shelves at Food 4 Less on Friday were noticeably not full with 10 pound bag of spuds $4.65 :wow;

POTATO SHORTAGE BOOSTED PRICES
June 22, 1920, Tuesday

Shortage of old stock and the active demand was the cause of the high prices obtained for the new crop potatoes, according to a review just issued by the Department of Agriculture. The old crop potatoes were selling at two or three times the prices of previous seasons and the new crop started high, the average being about double the prices of last year.

Now this....

Potato Shortage Halts Chip Production
Posted: July 2, 2008 03:27 PM

A potato chip company in Snyder County has run into a shortage of its main ingredient, potatoes.

Chip production has come to a screeching halt at Middleswarth Chips.

The company was notified two weeks ago there would be a potato shortage and now the folks at Middleswarth have practically run out.

"Right now it's quiet here. We don't have potatoes to manufacture," said Jeff Goff, Vice President at Middleswarth.

Without those potatoes, the deep fryers and bagging equipment sat idle at the Middleswarth plant in Middleburg.

The chip maker relies on 400,000 pounds of potatoes per week to churn out its crispy product.

FEAR MONGERING EH?

HA See how long you can live without your French Fries

Potato Shortage? Let the Chips Fall Where They May
Thu Jul 31, 2008 at 04:20:22 PM

This week, when I went to my local King Soopers looking to pick up a couple of bags of Lay’s barbecue chips, I found the shelves virtually bare. This happens periodically in my neighborhood. Every time there’s a big sporting event, the threat of natural disaster (tornado, flood, rainstorm, hail of toads, whatever) or even something really good on TV, the store will sell out of potato chips like there’s a rumor of weed being hidden in the bags. This time, though, it was something more serious. Serious enough that the store management had gone to the trouble of hanging signs from the shelves explaining the shocking lack of deep-fried potato products. It read as follows:

“Due to a shortage of ‘chipper’ potatoes in the Midwest, some potato chip items may be temporarily out of stock. Please look for this item to return soon. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patronage.”

blogs.westword.com...

That article further added this comment...

I, of course, immediately stole one of the signs and went home to inform Laura that the end-times truly had drawn nigh. I mean, I can put up with a lot of things. Economy in the toilet, gas at four bucks a gallon, wars and rumors of wars on the front page. To quote the good doctors Stantz, Spengler and Venkman from Ghostbusters, fire and brimstone coming down from the skies, rivers and seas boiling, forty years of darkness, earthquakes, volcanoes, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria! I’m cool with all that. Frankly, the 24-hour news cycle and too much late-night cruising around the high end of the cable dial have more or less numbed me to all that. But a ****** potato shortage? As an Irishman and a gastronaut, I consider that something straight out of my nightmares.

[edit on 19-10-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I actually went to Sam's Club today and purchased some extra things that have a shelf-life through either 2010 or 2011.

Not bad really.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
guess what ? nothing is going to happen. nothing ever happens. we all want to be a part of history. we all thought y2k was going to be IT. and now, it ain't gonna happen. so stop spreading fear. stop spreading ignorance. it's only as bad as you make it.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by governmentsecrets
guess what ? nothing is going to happen. nothing ever happens. we all want to be a part of history. we all thought y2k was going to be IT. and now, it ain't gonna happen. so stop spreading fear. stop spreading ignorance. it's only as bad as you make it.

So the economic experts, analysts, and financial gurus are just "joshing" with us by indicating we will be a prolonged recession, or entire depression?

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by governmentsecrets

Everybody who just lost pretty much half their life savings and more, myself included, would tell you otherwise.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by thiscountryboycansurvive

Originally posted by E-ville

Oh do you have solar panels? I do.. great idea so you can power those flashlights and a readio etc.. got a 45 watt panel and battery charge controller for 200 bucks online.. cant go wrong..

[edit on 17-10-2008 by E-ville]

Not sure if you know, but with the solar panel setup like what you use only get so many charges per battery pack, so have extras on hand.

[edit on 17-10-2008 by thiscountryboycansurvive]

[edit on 17-10-2008 by thiscountryboycansurvive]

My system is just a mini versioniof a full blows home system the batteries are lead acid type, they do have a shelf life / Use life but five+ years should be good for a while.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by SEEWHATUDO

I would buy some seeds and grow in your apartment or yard would be best. Like carrots, whatever, the best hope is to have your own.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Im telling you the wacko stock up people have invested in tinned food and dry goods sales and production.
Why else would they be constantly be telling people to buy now buy now buy now buy now.
They are making a killing.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Interestinggg
Im telling you the wacko stock up people have invested in tinned food and dry goods sales and production.

Stock market crashing... yet food companies are up

SHHHH stop telling everyone

Silly Grasshopper

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Aislin

you are the first one to use the magic words on planning a garden:
HERITAGE SEEDS.
as most of you should already know most of our food supply has been tainted by genetic modification. the majority of plants, seeds and foods that we buy with the anticipation of them producing foods will just NOT WORK.
they are tainted with suicide genes that allow the plant to grow, but never to germinate.
thats why if you purchase seeds, cuttings plurs or whatever make certain you buy from a company that guarentees the product will produce and also are true heritage sites.
BUY A GENERATOR
it will give you additional time to eat thru the refrigerator before it all spoils when our power is cut off.
kilbasi and smoked sausage last almost forever, comes pre-cooked and is excellent to add to beans and rice to give it some pizzaz.
FIRST AID KIT, a good one you put together yourself is the best thing to have on hand.
that's mt suggestions for now, will add more as i think of them.
chow

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by eventHorizon
while being prepared sounds about right,
i doubt fears of food shortages will materialize.
the age of global economy has arrived, and
like it or not, current troubles will not destroy it.
we might have a recession - yes, but collapse
of global trade including agricultural products -
not likely...just my honest opinion...

It is a ways off, but go watch "Crude Awakening"
on google video and you will get an idea of what is
coming eventually.

We had a preview of it back in the 1973 oil crisis
here in the US.

It was quickly alleviated, but think what it would be
like if it is not fixed in short order.

We have a good supply of natural gas, but oil peaked
in 1973 and has been downhill domestically ever since.

Per T. Boone Pickens and many others the World peaked
around May of 2005, and has been on the decline since.

The movie Crude Awakening will give you all the details
you need from many very professional and scholarly ppl.

This thread is more appropriate than most ppl know.

May I recommend the site: www.survivalblog.com...

Good Luck to you all, and realize that food riots overseas could
at some point reach these shores, and it will likely coincide with
the collapse associated with the over $516 trillion derivatives
collapse just around the corner.

$516+ trillion USD derivatives collapse looming

This will make the so called housing bubble look like child's play.

Again...

Good Luck ...

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by goathead
reply to post by governmentsecrets

Everybody who just lost pretty much half their life savings and more, myself included, would tell you otherwise.

The worst is yet to come:

$516 trillion USD derivatives bubble about to pop

When this baby tumbles, it will make fannie mae and freddie mac
look like child's play.

Hold on to your hat dorothy, its gonna be a bumpy ride ...

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Yeah these ppl writing for the Wallstreet Journal are totally
full of it when they say the $516 trillion USD derivatives
bubble is about to pop.

All those financial ppl are as honest as an Enron accountant...

Oh wait .... Oh Snap !

If you say it isn't true enough maybe it will go away !

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by tsloan

Originally posted by MOFreemason
reply to post by redhatty

I thought I read on Money.com that the credit markets were finally "thawing" a bit. Anybody know if this is true or not?

Yes it is beginning to flow again.
I was just approved for a loan on a house. Look it's not as bad as the dooms dayers here are spitting. If your a sub-prime cedit holder...yea it's bad cause your no longer able to obtain loans you can afford. But the majority of those people should have never been extended credit in the first place.

AIG was a fraud or giant pink elephant EVERY banking institute knew was standing right in the middle of the room! Yet all the banks kept loaning people who had poor credit and no money down and no verifiable income these horrible loans and people with good credit because obssesed with living MTV life styles living on credit cards and using there homes as ATM's. And when AIG showed it's cards at the poker table they were holding a bluff and they had to pay the piper on all those insured sub-prime loans they dished out and bundled and sold off to other banks and leanding companies.

This is a "market correction" and this happened because of people living off of bad/over-extended credit and sub-prime loans. For the last 15 years home prices have soared drove up by a false demand on the consumer causing HUGE jumps in markets that never should have seen home prices jump. Banks loaned on these over inflated homes and then more homes began to be built and they had to be sold so they created a sub-prime market to move the empty homes off the market. And then when the douche bags at AIG came along they encouraged all banks to loan more and more with out having capital on hand to cover those sub-prime and variable loans.

Well AIG tanked and here we are...But theres not going to be a food shortage...I mean if not being able to get your favorite pizza crust or sauce for a week or two means food shotage then yea...Other than this it's more of the same. And if you take the time to investigate you'll see America has always had food shortages in spurts here and there my grand father was a farmer and when he had a bad year the local markets that he sold to that relied on his produce ..well became dry. It happens. The market will correct it's self and home prices will starting settling where they SHOULD have been in the first place yes it's bad people have lost their investments...but you cant always rely on a market for your future "IT'S A RISK"....RISK! And with risk comes faults and that means you have to take responsibility for your self. So I applaude all of the people who have the knowledge to live off the land in here thats great cause you have used knowledge to better yourself. I don't applaude those who scan the news and make scare tactics bases on media out-lets that are built for deception and slight of hand tactics to move the contry in a manner that government needs it to move.

Well, unfortunately one more lemon has to fall off the tree.

And it is a monster lemon.

That will prolly take the stock market to a low ppl have not seen
in a VERY long time.

What it will do to food and such I have no idea, but I'd bet on some
things not going as they are now to say the least.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Ok my paranoid ATS's what is the point of stocking up on food for a 1 possibly 2 years? Are you waiting for society to right itself? If such a thing was to happen then it has to be done via governments which means it will happen now. If on the other hand you are waiting for "the people" to stablise things then you will have a long wait because there will be lots of thugs with guns controlling an anarchic situation.

So basically: if there is stability you won't need to stock up on food. If there is no stability then you will need a lot more than 1 years, you will need a lifetimes supply which really means self sufficiency. You are better spending the time adopting a low consumer self sufficient lifestyle.

What will happen? Economic growth is unsustainable unless you have an infinite supply of resources (the capitalists forget to mention this awkward fact). Therefore the only viable long term economic model is one of low consumption high self reliance and re-use. This is the self sufficient economy. It is coming, the current crisis will kick start that change.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SEEWHATUDO
Yes we have to but we live off cash and with a family of 5 it is very hard to stock up AND keep food on the table.

Hit up Big Lots and Dollar General if they are near you. Canned goods are typically cheaper than Wal-Mart and they also carry some organic dry goods.

Think "$10 per paycheck" and spend it on 50-cents-per-can green beans, peas, etc.

Within a month or two you should have a 2-month supply of canned goods for a party of five.

A good rule of thumb is "1 gallon of water and 1 can of food, per person, per day".

[edit on 20-10-2008 by Symbiote]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Well 5 days after this fear mongering post stating that there are only 3 days supply left at stores and there is no shortage. I have to thank you all for helping the economy during these tough times by running out and making all these unnecessary purchases. Your help is greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Symbiote

Thanks for the info but how does a couple of senior citizens stock up on food on a small fixed income?

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose
Thanks for the info but how does a couple of senior citizens stock up on food on a small fixed income?

To answer that I would need a little more info on your situation... like do you live in a house, apartment or home?

but later today I will put together some thoughts on that... without straining a tight budget... but look foe a Fresh and Easy near you... they have amazing specials at the end of the day. You would be surprised... most of this is on fresh stuff... but not always..

[edit on 20-10-2008 by zorgon]

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join