It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Stocked Up Yet? Time Is Running Out

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Towgunner0352
My food storage Is a rife and a 9 mil. I plan on finding the guy with the al gore, democratic bumber sticker on their car and take their stuff. I will give them a reason to hate guns

My food PROTECTION is an AK-47 loaded with hollow points and a Kimber .45 loaded with hollow points. Careful where you plunder, dude. Check and mate.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Don't know if this was mentioned, but in addition to all other stuff to stockpile, you may want to have on hand water purification tablets (sold in the camping section of most stores like Walmart or Target)to kill parasites if you don't have a purification system or a large backstock of water. You may have to wind up utilizing a stagnant water source (breeding ground for Giardia). Also bleach for cleaning, and adding I think 16 drops to a gallon of water will make it drinkable bacteria wise, but won't kill parasites. Have plenty of trash bags and a 5 gallon bucket with a toilet seat on top, in case you can't flush your toilet at some point (mainly for those on well water). Also, powdered milk is good to keep around. Most boxes at the cheap stores make 2-4 gallons of milk when reconstituted.

Also good, mini tanks of propane fuel and a propane stove, which are pretty inexpensive, kerosene lanterns are cheap, and you can also buy candle lanterns with 9 hour candles for about 15 bucks.

[edit on 17-10-2008 by chickenshoes]

[edit on 17-10-2008 by chickenshoes]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXMACHINEGUNDLR
I am now "good to go". Have about 18 months of food, meds,and everything else..............I EVEN BOUGHT 2 SETS OF SNOW SHOES! And I live in a place where it has not snowed for 200000 years.

Dud yeah it sounds like your set for anything , at least all youhave nothing to fear now for about a year and a half form when ever the meltdown starts to get bad..

I too am prepared but have nothing near that stash, I got about 6 months worth.. a bunch of ammo and then at that point the supplies like seeds and such to go independent of the system, growing my own food and rising my own livestock.. or using those items for trade.. But I am set and comfortable with what I have and that is piece of mind and that it the key, not panicky when it does hit the fan.. that could be the single best thing to say for being prepared.. you not out trying to stock up when every one else is, you at home hunkering down safe and sound and putting the final prep together.. or your bugging out to your safe zone while every one else is driving to stores for supplies..that are in short supply.. your one huge step ahead of every one else.

However i add more ammo every week and more supplies as i see them go on sale so my stach does get bigger slowly... the snow shoes are a good idea for me.. im in a place that has had snow in the last 9 months and like clockwork it always comes every winter.. But yeah dude your setup quite well.

Oh do you have solar panels? I do.. great idea so you can power those flashlights and a readio etc.. got a 45 watt panel and battery charge controller for 200 bucks online.. cant go wrong..

[edit on 17-10-2008 by E-ville]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by E-ville

Oh do you have solar panels? I do.. great idea so you can power those flashlights and a readio etc.. got a 45 watt panel and battery charge controller for 200 bucks online.. cant go wrong..

[edit on 17-10-2008 by E-ville]

Not sure if you know, but with the solar panel setup like what you use only get so many charges per battery pack, so have extras on hand.

[edit on 17-10-2008 by thiscountryboycansurvive]

[edit on 17-10-2008 by thiscountryboycansurvive]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   

I am now "good to go". Have about 18 months of food, meds,and everything else..............I EVEN BOUGHT 2 SETS OF SNOW SHOES! And I live in a place where it has not snowed for 200000 years.

Well if Yellowstone blows its top (which is overdue and quite possible) Vegas area is estimated to drop 5 degrees average temp. 5 degrees may not sound like much, but it would make it snow where once was 120 degree summers

Now the 64 dollar question...

Do you know how to walk in them

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by E-ville

I am waiting for Amonix to make home size small units

www.amonix.com...

These are the new super concentrator cells. We already have them here in Nevada... two small ones in town, a huge solar farm just outside and Nellis has the largest solar power plant in the world ( but they keep it for themselves
)

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by traderjack

don't say eating meat is healthier than fruit veggie,nuts and grain diet.
if you are inclined to eat meat than do so but i would suggest to all people to start to wean yourself from anything that you must kill to eat. i had to wean myself from eating meat and flesh everyday in my hard times and found i am healthier leaving meat and flesh out of my diet execpt fish and lamb(they are treats to myself a few times a month). they have already released mad cow to most all animals that you would normally eat. brain autopsy is the only diagnosis for mad cow. the appetite is the basis of all greed and one must control appetite or it will control you!
simple diet is best and easy to maintain. but one must wean themself of meat eating or else you might have to start to cannibalize if shtf! also most important is"DO NOT PANIC" you will end up dead if you panic remember"there is always enough"

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by moxee
We have been stocking up on emergency supplies for the past four months.Every time you go to the store pick up a extra bag of rice and beans store them in a cool dry container in your home.Not the tastiest of fair but it will sustain life . Also stock up on plenty of ammunition for all of your weapons. If you don't have a firearm get one while you can and learn how to use it.
Keep this in mind"there is only a 72 hour supply of food at your local market at any one time. If you wait until their is a emergency it will be to late. Plan now for what is coming!

+1 on the above!! I make a habit of doing that every time I go shopping: an extra couple cans of veggies, a couple extra bags of lentils, an extra bottle of ketchup, an extra can of olive oil, etc....

Even for those broke folks out there you can stock up (slowly or quickly) on basics like pasta, rice, dried beans/legumes, peanut butter. They're relatively cheap and will keep your tummies full for a long time. All you diehard meat & potatoes types are gonna have to change your ways. Learn to make and eat multi-cultural food like Indian, Oriental, Hispanic. These folks have lived for centuries on cheap eats--and it tastes good, too!

Almost anyone--even apartment dwellers--can grow veggies and herbs in containers. If you have a yard, use it! Plant a victory garden. Seeds are cheap and the food they produce is nature's miracle.

We have several chickens, too. You can't beat an egg for complete protein. No hunting and messy butchering required. You can keep a few chickens in vertical pens in your basement or garage.

As far as barter items:

-Alcohol is good, lasts forever and can even be produced at home.

-Extra ammunition can be used as currency, especially the popular rounds like 22LR, 9mm, .45ACP, 30-30, 30-06, .308, .223, 7.62x39, and 12 gauge shotgun shells.

-Tobacco. All forms. Snuff, cigarettes, loose tobacco.

-If you can still find them, pre-1965 silver coins will likely be highly desirable and readily accepted for goods and services.

[BTW, my local coin dealer is out of gold and silver coins--even "junk silver". TOTALLY OUT!! He's taking orders for 2.5 months out!! WTF!!! I waited too long and that ship has sailed
]

-Medicine and medical supplies

Good luck to all who dare to prepare!

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by zippy1958

i must admit if i had the money i wold have also. but since 2001 my money and all my earned mony go out in this order: firstly -child support to maintain my freedom that i do have. fuel to drive 70 miles to work on weekly basis at $4.00 a gal= 1/4 of my take home pay.food to sustain me so i may work. rent. but as long as i do the next right thing everyday i must say i am here now at this point in time. simplicity is the best way to live even if you have an abundant money source. simplicity in prepraring for these types of events happining.if one has a lot of money to prepare keep it simple(not related to quantity)

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

zorgon: this might help!

www.uni-solar.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I just watched a troubling news show on the Democracy Now news show and it was talking about world hunger food riots (they did bring up the U.S. as possibility in the future) but the gentleman named Raj did a book called stuffed and starved. He was talking about how the U.S. is causing a lot of the issues because in the free trade agreement of course not free, but when the U.S. sends grain, rice and other things it has a USA flag on it and only USA carriers can deliver it and only home grown here.

If a kid is starving in Haiti what difference does a flag on the @#$%^& BAG MEAN! His website is below check it out. I need to cool off for a while and do some more research. I know he mentioned issues that sounded close to what we have here of small farmers getting driven out of business. Yeah Big Agriculture Biz is good, how about big GOV Agriculture Biz is good. I'll let you know if I find anything.

stuffedandstarved.org...

Cool off period commencing!

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
There was second part of the story one of the head of the farmers in the south said the credit issue will probably bankrup a lot of farms, i.e. no seeds, fertilizer, etc.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
To all the farmers will benefit from this if you can give it a chance, not much watering or fertilizing required....
www.fungi.com...

Watch this video you will be glad you did....

[edit on 17-10-2008 by meadowfairy]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
we've heard things for awhile, but someone was right on the replies. if there is money to be made, someone is going to make it.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaginD
Thanks for the heads up. I just took some notes on the flour and dried beans. I think everyone should contribute something to this thread. We need to give each other tips on what we need to stock up on. Make sure every one knows what they need. I just ordered a lot of vitamins. I have 2 bottles here already, but if push came to shove and we ran out of food vitamins would come in handy BIG TIME. Starred and Flagged

Long term if this recession turns into 1929 part 2, you might want to
get seeds that have not been mutated by monsanto via genetic
modification.

They are called heirloom seeds, and can be a little hard to come by.

The offspring seeds of these plants can be planted in turn and
forever over and over.

With GM seeds they are sterile in short order so you have to buy more
from the seeds supplier, making you dependent upon them.

With cheap seeds you can grow a victory garden like they did
during WW2 and feed most of the ppl that live near you.

A garden can be cheap, but it does require a fair bit of labor.

Dehydrating you vegetables and storing them underground
and keeping them cool makes them last longer.

Some good details here:

Food Shelf Life based on Temp and Storage methods

We face some very daunting possible scenarios:

1) Something goes VERY wrong with Obama's election

2) After Obama wins, Israel decides to attack Iran and que WW3.

3) The cross border skirmishing between US and Pakistani troops
goes full tilt, que WW3.

4) Russia, Georgia, or another former soviet Bloc country go
bonkers and a cease fire is not reached, que WW3.

5) Another ship like the Iranian ship the Somalia pirates captured sets
off a major dirty bomb in a major port killing thousands, que WW3.

6) Army of Aztlan attacks the US, que 2nd American Revolution.

7) Due to various reasons Bush declares martial law and and he
enacts Directive 51... Directive 51 and FEMA

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
For those of you who think you'll retreat to some National Forest, secluded lake, or hunting area and "live off the land", you may want to rethink your position. I am sure that a thousand other people in your community have the same idea.

It won't be long before all the wild game and fish are gone and then what? Even stockpiling food isn't a sustainable lifestyle. What if the problems go longer than your food supply?

So you've gone out and purchased 100 lbs. of flour (and probably not even the right kind), do you know how to store it properly and make bread from scratch where you live? By the way, that's enough for a family of four for less than 3 months. Baking bread is different for every location and can take many, many attempts even with a good recipe.

Do you know how to cook rice? Have you ever canned before? Do you own a pressure canner and all the supplies needed? Do you have recipes that aren't on the computer? More than 99% of my relatives and friends don't own a decent chef knife or a way to sharpen it but think they will have no problem feeding themselves.

Even if you have plenty of heirloom seeds (most are only good for one to two years by the way), you'll still need the skills to garden. It isn't a matter of sticking it in the dirt and waiting for it to get big enough to eat. Tell me, do you know how to let a carrot "go to seed"?

What you need to do is adopt a partially sustainable lifestyle now. Learn to bake your own bread, learn to cook everything from scratch, learn to garden, home brew, shoot a gun, reload ammo, do your own home repairs, can and store food, and so forth. When it matters, you aren't going to have the luxury of making mistakes that you could afford to be making now. If you are living it partially now, transitioning to it full time won't be such a shock. Or failure.

I considered myself a very accomplished cook, and then I took a six month course with a professional chef and realized I didn't have a clue. Most people can barely bake a cake from a box mix, much less debone a turkey, make their own cheese or brew beer or wine.

Most people don't know the difference between fresh herbs and dried seasonings, which herbs go with what foods, or how to inject fat into a lean piece of meat to make it more edible. Have you ever killed, cleaned and cooked a rabbit? How about a chicken? Do you think because your survival depends on it you're suddenly going to be blessed with these skills?

If you are really serious about thriving in the economy over the next year, you'd better start now acquiring some essential skills like yesterday. I've spent the last three years doing so and I don't feel near prepared.

And don't think people who have prepared are going to spend a lot of time teaching others how to do this stuff, lending their equipment, or being charitable with their excess. All the people I know who have prepared have worthless nephews, lazy brother-in-laws, air-headed sisters they have to take care of as well. And honestly, I'm more likely to ban together with other people who have prepared because they have far more to offer than people who don't have a clue.

Besides, most people who have prepared don't talk about it to people who haven't, so it's unlikely you'll know anyone who does have their act together on this.

If you are using this as a fall back plan, you need to get serious about it.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   

I am now "good to go". Have about 18 months of food, meds,and everything else. My wife has been pissed, I have spent tens of thousands on crap for 2 years now. I was getting between 3-12 packages a day and spending probably 1800 a week shopping online. Got a 2 room bunker on 32 acres in the middle of nowhere. If nothing happens I am going to have one hell of a garage sale.
Or I could open a high end camping store. No joke. I have more rice stored up than the VC did during the Vietnam war. Prob more 7.62X39 ammo too. Last time I counted 3400 cans of food. 452 days of MREs, water on a pump well. 3 backup pumps. 2 complete sets of tools, 2500 gallons of gas in a farm container, on and on. The more I type the dumber I feel. I wasted tons of money on what will turn out to be nothing. Hell I paid more for the farm diesel than it's worth now. Jesus....What a world huh. Want to know how OCD I am....12 can openers.....10 Blackhawk backpacks ALL THE SAME. And clothing for about 10 people. I bought so much crap from Moosejaw I have 145,671 points.
...........I EVEN BOUGHT 2 SETS OF SNOW SHOES! And I live in a place where it has not snowed for 200000 years.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TXMACHINEGUNDLR

You made me laugh! I totally understand. While I have not stockpiled to the extent (*yet) that you have, I do know the feeling because I have containers stacked in the living room, bedroom, closets, etc. I sometimes look at it all and wonder! BUT THEN I KNOW THE TIME IS COMING. I DO BELIEVE IT IS GOING TO HAPPEN & THE SIGNS ARE ALL THERE so I'll keep on looking for deals and ways to safeguard my loved ones when this time comes. In 1992 in LA we had riots and we were in lockdown at night. The first thing people did when this emergency was declared was leave work and run to the banks, run to the stores to get food and water, run to get gas, etc. Most of what people found were empty shelves, no food, no water left, ATMs out of cash, long gas lines. Some people would say being prepared for an emergency is relative to "hoarding" and is somehow "wrong", believing that it is negative and "takes from others". I look at it as planning ahead and being responsible for my family who won't have to run in panic for water/food/cash at ATMs that are already empty, etc. Better to be a part of the solution, than to be a part of the problem. What is good about you is (among other things) that you have planned ahead and you won't be one of the ones crying to others for help but will be in a position to be of help yourself, to your family and others, if you choose, when the time does come. You have an abundance of things that you might not personally have a use for but you have things that you can barter with and trade with. There WILL be a need for what you have, if not for yourself, for others. *And at a much higher cost at that time when so many may be out of work with no money. Someone on this thread earlier mentioned would those of us who planned ahead share with a neighbor or a friend or a family who might come to us (and come to us they will) - those who did not plan ahead. I can't see shooting a neighbor who's hungry so I have planned for extra to share with. *But the more people who are self reliant and think ahead, the better off we will all be. I too have bought extra things I might not personally "need" but I think of what might come in handy later. I buy extras of small appliances (I haunt all the thrift stores locally to get them cheap), handy tools, food items, (lot of 99 cent store items), batteries, candles, I have bags of material for clothes, pots and pans (esp. cast iron types that can be used for outdoor cooking & that will last years), ropes, clotheslines/pins, can opener(s), etc. Like you, I have extras of some things - but I think in terms of - what if someone comes and is in need and I were to give them canned goods, wouldn't they also need a can opener to take with them? If it is cheap and I can see a use for it, esp. if it is not electric, like a coffee pot that can be used over a campfire, I get it. I have studied a lot of the "Man vs. Wild" shows to see what I can learn, I plan on looking into vegetable oil conversions for a diesel pickup - for dual options as I believe we may be in for gas shortages. I'm still adding to the stockpile and looking to learn everything I can, believing at some point, that it will be up to us like-minded (and pioneer-like) individuals to get back to what made us strong as a country in the first place, using our own ingenuity and relying on our resourcefulness, we've gotten too fat and lazy waiting for handouts and looking to see "what we can get" instead of what we can give back. I believe we will re-create and rebuild our country after we go thru a very hard time and in one way, I look forward to it because to survive we'll have to band together like we did after 9/11. We're at our best and our strongest (and I believe our happiest), when we're looking out for each other and when we feel we're making a difference in life.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by RaptureMe2

I really appreciate your suggestions as I do everyone who is writing and adding their 2 cents worth, this is so constructive and positive!!

Note to your "pre 1965 silver coinage" lament. There ARE some places who still have this "junk" silver. If you are into it, check out Howard Ruff's book (I have the old version but it is still excellent!!!) "How to Prosper in the Coming Hard Times" (amazon books). There are some recommendations listed as to reliable, trustworthy coin dealers and one in particular I understand is very cheap and still has coinage. (and now is a good time to buy while the price is low!!) Good luck!

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join