It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Stocked Up Yet? Time Is Running Out

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by thiscountryboycansurvive

A lot of kids today do not learn traditional values or skills. They play video games and do not learn how to plant a tomato plant or make a wooden box to hold something. They watch a lot of bad movies/tv shows and internet garbage (edit: sorry not this site or the people on it!), but don't read a good book.

Ah, that's where GRANDPARENTS come in. I've gardened for almost 50 years. I tried like heck to interest my children, when they were growing up, but to no avail. Guess what, though, EVERY one of my grandchildren LOVE to garden with me, and they know more about gardening than their parents. In addition, I've taken my older grandchildren fishing so many times that they catch more fish than me, but my kids never bothered to take them.

I truly believe that grandchildren are God's gift to grandparents, and visa versa.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
i would also like to add bread dried in a paper bag lasts a very long time vs plastic.(crutons)

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

There is a documentary that airs every once in a while discovery/history channel about that and its old enough to have people who remembered it and their kids awesome show. I'll try to find it for ya!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   

why not solar panels. in a different thread i touch on a company in michigan that has this technology. a full coil of stainless and their compound/process creates a very long rolled roofing material. 8 watts per square foot!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bluewaterservant

I'm all for solar

The only thing I was saying was on the growing house have solar power for the growing lights and food year round. Sorry I should have went deeper in my comment.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by thiscountryboycansurvive]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Thanks. That would be great. I appreciate it.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by uplander I'm wondering when you all think this coming crisis will occur?

The thing about being ready for it means it doesn't matter when. But little signs are already out there. Just came back from the Grocery store here in Vegas...

The shelves are not packed as they used to be on a Friday before the weekend... A 10 pound bag of potatoes a month ago was 1.95 and today it was 4.65

Total Meltdown? I doubt it... but already the convention industry is showing a 25% attendance drop of companies Shipping is getting expensive... they are tightening belts. SEMA is coming end of Oct... registration is down 30%

That means less contracts for us and thus less money. Power and gas just had a 25% increase this year. I am getting a Franklin wood burning stove as a supplement I have three Mulberry trees that produce a LOT of wood in a year

Next spring I go for solar panels. We already put in a gray water system for the garden

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Heres the link to the show title. They are selling the dvd but if you do a search on your cable/sat listing to see when it comes on again.

shop.history.com...)

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOFreemason
I thought I read on Money.com that the credit markets were finally "thawing" a bit. Anybody know if this is true or not?

I posted this before all the GFL stuff flooded the board...

This IMO is a film everyone should have a look at...

Money as debt
A short film by Paul Grignon

Google Video Link

MONEY AS DEBT

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   

yes i have eaten an onion sandwitch on toast very good.
simplicity is always best.
being grateful is the most important

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Good night to all and I have to say as a skitish mountain boy I've been peeking in here every once in a while to get a feel for the website and I'm sorry I waited so long to start to get to know you (my first day posting
) but I really enjoyed myself and I hope I am welcomed back. May morrow bring us all good tidings!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   

no applogy needed bro i understood you completely i was just filling in some info to back you up!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Any one here ever here of Radient Heat and Hydronics?

Hydronics... If you have a house and a swimming pool you can do something amazing.

You need copper tubing, freon, a compressor and a solar pump...

In your home you put a valence around the wall (to capture drips) Then run your tubing around the room... the other end of the tubing you run a coil on the bottom of your pool... (or the side)

What happens here is you turn your house into a refrigerator.
As water is 200 times more efficient at cooling than air is, the heat that rises in your house is absorbed by the freon in the tubing.... then 'dumped' into the water of your pool. The heat thus dumped heats your pool water as well

Don't have a pool? An air coil still works, but water is more efficient. Takes almost no power to run as your circulation pump is solar powered.

Install cost from a Phoenix company a few years back was 5-6 thousand,

Radient Heat
Pipes in the floor to reverse the process in the winter to provide heat

www.radiantec.com...

advancedhydronics.com...

Get off the GRID NOW

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Thanks. I'll check it out.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Just a few thoughts
1- Honey lasts forever and is very nutritious ( plus the bees are reduced in numbers so get it and support your local beekeepers, by USA and Canada honey please), but I would also get spices chai spices are very healthy, tumeric if your so inclined even better get bees!! I have always wanted too and you are saving our crops if you do. I think that is worht something too!
2- Salt can be used to cure meats the old fashioned way
3- We import sooo much stuff from China that we don't need to (for example Garlic, what we can't grow our own here ridiculous, it is just China cheap)
4- My husband works in the office of a major trucking company and Walmart and other stores are still shipping tons of stuff in North America so the within Canada/USA stuff will be fine and we have had descent crops this year so we should be fine food wise
5- If you all by way more than you need you will cause a shortage because that's the way these things get started!!

That being said I always keep a large bag of rice, a large bag of flour, a few cases of soup, veggies, etc. because it is cold in Winnipeg over the winter and it feels safe to have a well stocked cupboard.
The USA and Canada have kept a diversified agricultural base and good thing too, I think we need to get used to shopping for things grown here more often. If the price of fuel goes up I am sure at some point the price for locally grown should be equal to stuff imported from asia anyway.WHich is good and bad.

Oh and if your getting beans get corn too, I hear your body absorbs the protein from the beans better when eaten with corn!

Happywpggirl

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Hey guys, one thing ya'll need to do is buy some heirloom seeds and nuts since the ones you get from stores won't reproduce.

Two sites to check out:

www.rareseeds.com

www.heirloomseeds.com

Also, try and find some nut trees, almonds, peanuts and pecans are critical.

-Lahara

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
A few grains of rice put into a small salt container work wonderfully for keeping salt from clumping due to humidity. We do this regularly when filling up the salt shaker.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I would advise everyone to stock up on cold hard cash too. Don't leave
too much in the banking system. The ATM machines in Chicago today
had the "Withdraw" button grayed-out. Went to Target tonight and their
Card-Swipe wouldn't work...kept timing out. I had to leave my items
at the store.

The credit crises seems to be mutating into a cash shortage at financial
institutions. Hopefully the banking system internals are starting to
improve like Treasury Secretary Paulson said they are this evening.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
A very good read from the land up over,Argentina.I would recommend everyone to read this.goldismoney.info... relevant to this thread.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Just an observation, but with your econemy as it is, is this not just scare mongering to get people to go out and spend cash?

If the whole country are scared into panic buying, does that not provide the econemy with the extra boost it needs and is what your government has hoped for all along.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join