Are You Stocked Up Yet? Time Is Running Out

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19 >>

join

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Did some trading/selling. Got 300lbs rice, 500 cans Ranch Beans, 120 MREs,500 cans tuna, 200 cans veggies and fruit and 2 cases multi vitamins for a bunch of crap canned food and a old Chevy motor with about 800K miles on it. I did well.
Also got a Casita travel trailer to stash on a 322 acre hill country hide out with well water. BRING IT ON!

Also got a roll out solar charger and another generator. Hell if the world turns out fine, I got a great hunting setup.

And 4 can openers.

[edit on 22-10-2008 by TXMACHINEGUNDLR]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I can confim that the meat choice in my local market was mighty slim.
Also, A friend of mine buys "consolidated foods" off pallets (same type stuff BIGLOTS has) and the supplies have all but dried up... but for 3 reasons.
1. Less availability of food shippers.
2. more main stream grocers have started carrying closeout/non-brand food specials so they can offer affordable food options.
3. grocers are no longer sending back nearly expired food, they are keeping it, and selling it at closeout price. This is a highly controversial process and the fact that it is happening at so many chains, means that they are getting a bit desperate.

Of course i live in cattle country, so if meat supply dried up, I could always go buy from a farmer, and field dress the damn thing myself.
Even after whatever temporary fixes our goverrnment works out, we will still have food difficulties, due to cost.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by sosuemetoo

What I'm also seeing is a lot of quality issues. Rusty head lettuce, wet rotting carrots, soft fruit rotting from the inside, splitting bananas, and rotting onions. This is not a supplier issue since I don't use just one supplier. This is industry wide in my region.

I wonder if you live in the same area I do. We've been seeing it for a while now. Even if the produce looks perfect at the store, it has been going bad SO much quicker now. For example, cucumbers will only last a couple days, lettuce that looked good but was clearly spoiled when eaten (rusty head? don't know quite what that is). I find it both comforting and frightening to know that I am not the only person who is seeing this.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Here is another money saving idea. Instead of cooking one meal at a time, cook as much as you can fit in the oven, then freeze the remainder in freezer bags. You will save energy, as roughly the same amount of electric or natural gas will be used for, say 10 meals, as for one. When you are ready to eat the frozen meals, take what you need out a few days early, and thaw them in the frig, then merely heat them up, which can be done either in a microwave or a small toaster oven. We buy chopmeat and chicken when it is on sale,in bulk. Last week, a store in our area was selling split chicken breasts for 79 cents a pound. We bought 15 pounds, baked them in our electric oven, let them cool and placed 2 breasts in each freezer bag, marked them with the date frozen and contents, then froze them. We did the same thing with the chop meat. We got lean chop meat for $1.49 a pound, made 25 burgers in the same oven as the chicken, took them out when cooked, as they cooked quicker than the chicken breasts and processed them as above.

Of course this is also a time saving method. When you are rushed, just take out what you need from the freezer, place them in the microwave on defrost, put in the weight(we make 1/4 pound burgers, so 4 to a pound, figure 3.4 lb per chicken breast(with bone), then when defrosted, heat them in a toaster over. The burgers can be heated in the microwave, but the chicken may be rubbery, if heated in the microwave.
Hope this helps.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by LazarusTheLong

grocers are no longer sending back nearly expired food, they are keeping it, and selling it at closeout price. This is a highly controversial process and the fact that it is happening at so many chains, means that they are getting a bit desperate.

You are right, and in fact, I have caught our local grocery store, taking meat back on the last sell date, and repackaging it, with a new date, and placing it in the meat bins again. The reason I know that is that I was in the store one day and saw a steak with a very odd bone shape on it, and it was the last sell date item. It didn't look great, so I bypassed it. Two days later, I was in the store again, and the exact same piece of steak, with the exact same weight, was back on the shelf with a new date, a reduced price, and that brownish color, as happens when the meat is getting old. Of course, red meat is no guarantee that it is good, as grocery stores put red dye in the meat, as you know, to make them look fresh. They may also be treating the meat with carbon monoxide to accomplish the same thing. The meat may look good, but most likely will harbor very dangerous bacteria after awhile.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
Here is another money saving idea. Instead of cooking one meal at a time, cook as much as you can fit in the oven, then freeze the remainder in freezer bags.

We have been doing that for years... mostly because the wife hates cooking

No seriously it's just more convenient for us as we all have different shifts.

But on that note... there are certain times of year you get real deals. So for those who have freezers...

St Patrick's Day.... corned beef briskets... they are always on special (dirt cheap) at Lucky's and others

July 4th... Smith has had hot dogs by the case lot for years at 50 cents a pack

Thanksgiving and Christmas... look for the turkeys... Smiths has them 25 cents a pound for a week ... thats 5 buck for a 20 lb turkey... usually one per person... but if you have 3 or 4 family members

Cook the turkey and cut it up... the breast can be sliced for sandwich meats. We cut ours into quarters just right for one meal.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Okay some good news finally

Here in Vegas I bought gasoline yesterday at 2.99 and Rebel has Ethonol for 2.49

Seems the Arabs are getting worried now...

Oil falls below $70 on U.S. recession fears

LONDON - Oil prices fell below $70 a barrel Wednesday as investors shrugged off a looming OPEC production cut after company forecasts suggested the U.S. may be headed for a severe economic slowdown that would crimp demand for crude.

Light, sweet crude for December delivery dropped $2.63 to $69.55 a barrel in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange by noon in Europe.

The November contract expired Tuesday and fell $3.36 to settle at $70.89. Last Thursday, that contract had declined as low as $68.57 a barrel, the lowest since June 2007.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Gee Zorgon, are you sure we're not related? We are doing all the same things. Our store has Turkey breasts at 79 cents a pound, every so often, we freeze them, cook one at a time, have a meal, the cut the rest for Turkey sandwiches also.
Another item- fresh hams go on sale around New Years, and again, of course, around Easter. We do the same with the hams.

We have a huge freezer and two refrigerators, and lately they are packed with specials and meals we prepared.

Keep those great ideas coming. This is one of the best threads in a long time.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Yes, it is great. We have gas at 2.47 now. For those that are not aware of it, you can go to gasbuddy.com , type in your zipcode, and it will list the stations, lowest to highest prices in your area.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by sosuemetoo
One week, my 10# Red Wisconsin Potatoes were 4.99. The next week they jumped to $6.99. The week after, they were a whopping $8.99

Thanks for that
Potatoes are an important indicator. A shortage triggered the Potato famine that caused the Irish to migrate and was also a key issue in the depression.

[edit on 22-10-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Gee Zorgon, are you sure we're not related?

Well I see your avatar wearing a robe... I could use a new monk in the organization

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   

reply to post by LazarusTheLong

grocers are no longer sending back nearly expired food, they are keeping it, and selling it at closeout price. This is a highly controversial process and the fact that it is happening at so many chains, means that they are getting a bit desperate.

You are right, and in fact, I have caught our local grocery store, taking meat back on the last sell date, and repackaging it, with a new date, and placing it in the meat bins again. The reason I know that is that I was in the store one day and saw a steak with a very odd bone shape on it, and it was the last sell date item. It didn't look great, so I bypassed it. Two days later, I was in the store again, and the exact same piece of steak, with the exact same weight, was back on the shelf with a new date, a reduced price, and that brownish color, as happens when the meat is getting old. Of course, red meat is no guarantee that it is good, as grocery stores put red dye in the meat, as you know, to make them look fresh. They may also be treating the meat with carbon monoxide to accomplish the same thing. The meat may look good, but most likely will harbor very dangerous bacteria after awhile.

I worked in the meat department at a grocery store when I was in undergrad. My manager would take all the cut meats (steaks, etc...) and make us cut it into chunks and put it back on the shelf as "stew meat" and get another day out of it. The "stew meat" that didnt' sell was then ground into "ground sirloin" and sold at premium. So a stake that expired was reincarnated two times to three days more out of it. This was illegal and unethical but i needed the job so I did was I was told. Makes you wonder whats in the clearance sale ground round?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by CeltAngel
I wonder if you live in the same area I do.
Land of Lincoln...Illinois, USA.

lettuce that looked good but was clearly spoiled when eaten (rusty head? don't know quite what that is). I find it both comforting and frightening to know that I am not the only person who is seeing this.
If you check the bottom of the head of lettuce, near the stem, that is where you will see it browning... or what we call "rust."

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sosuemetoo

Well, I'm in the southeast, which to me makes it more interesting that it's been seen in more than one area of the country.

On the lettuce - yep. I recall that part clearly. Now I know to look for it specifically. Better yet, work on growing some of my own :-(

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Symbiote

Originally posted by ezziboo
...(don't forget the cat litter...sand is pretty cheap...

Kill two birds with one stone.

Eat your cat.

Well, I'll discuss your suggestion with the cats, but I don't think they'll go for it...besides, the coyotes around here tell me that cats taste terrible.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by The Oak

No problem... just hang that old beef out to dry.

Out here we call it "jerky"

Chicken... now THAT would be dangerous

Back in Toronto in China town they would hang a duck by the neck until it rotted off... THEN the duck was ready to eat...

They call it Peking Duck

[edit on 22-10-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by CeltAngel
Well, I'm in the southeast, which to me makes it more interesting that it's been seen in more than one area of the country.
Even more interesting is that we are experiencing the same issue you described on the cucumbers. Until last week, mine were coming from Michigan. They are now coming from Georgia.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Well I see your avatar wearing a robe... I could use a new monk in the organization

Are you SCA?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by The Oak

his was illegal and unethical but i needed the job so I did was I was told. Makes you wonder whats in the clearance sale ground round?

Maybe the butchers dead cat?

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
There's no need to stock up food, regardless of whether stores run out of supply. There is a perfect food: Grass
It has many advantages. It is:
1. Free
2. Fresh
3. Almost unlimited supply.
4. Amazing taste

new topics
top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19 >>

join