It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

During Debate McCain refers to Obama as.."THAT ONE"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I agree with a few others here.

I was a little surprised, but it was because everyone was trying to be so eloquent and formal. The phrase "that one" broke the formality.

The media made a big deal out of it because they want to bash the GOP candidates. They also scored the debate as even.

I scored the debate, and it came out 3 for Obama, 5 for McCain.

You go back over it, and you will see the score, also.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jim Scott
I scored the debate, and it came out 3 for Obama, 5 for McCain.

You go back over it, and you will see the score, also.

Oh yeah?
That is too funny.

I have watched it now three times from start to finish (I watched the first one 3 times as well). And I whole heartedly do not agree with that score.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   
OMG he REALLY called Obama "THAT ONE"??!? McCain is obviously a high ranking klan member.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

post by dgtempe
Does this bother anyone else?

Yes I can say this did bother me. And I picked up on that statement right away! Good ears my friend! And good looking out!

I am a firm standing Rep. yet I know in my heart my party has lost its way a long long time ago. And the bar has been lowered.
Its a shame how things have played out..
And I will leave it at that.. No need to get into any types of agurments here, or push anyone away for having a thought.
Thats what made this country such a great place at one time.
But right now, its not all that great of a place.. But then again we are lucky. There are many other places much worse off.
But we are headed to that 3rd world country if things keep up at this rate.

BTW--DG.. I like your new avatar!

[edit on 9-10-2008 by zysin5]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I think the debate was a study in childish politics and the "that one" comment was simply an on stage friendly jab at Obama.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Obama won the debate. There is no doubt in my mind. As for the "that one" comment.... My grandad used to say that a lot. When I heard it in the debate I thought... wow.. I haven't heard that in a long time!

It's a grouchy old man reference.
i.e. someone in the family asks which grankid spilled the milk on the counter and grandad replied while pointing "THAT ONE!"

LOL..

John McCain = John McGrumpy

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Massgirl

Obama won the debate. There is no doubt in my mind. As for the "that one" comment.... My grandad used to say that a lot. When I heard it in the debate I thought... wow.. I haven't heard that in a long time!

It's a grouchy old man reference.
i.e. someone in the family asks which grankid spilled the milk on the counter and grandad replied while pointing "THAT ONE!"

LOL..

John McCain = John McGrumpy

When he said "That One" he said it with a smile on his face. So how is that being a grumpy old man? I dont know where any one gets that McCain is grumpy. He never seems grumpy to me. He just seems like a serious man trying to take care of serious business. Can someone give me an example of his grumpiness?

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
In spite of being zapped a few times for hurting the feelings of some on this debate about the "that one" remark, (I stand by those blotted statements). I will try to explain what offends me here, and be more "politically correct" for the sake of some.

There is nothing wrong in that McCain referred to Obama as "that one". What "that one" means is to bring a sharp laser beam front and center attention to Obama. That is it. (So far no feelings hurt?) OK, let's go on. In responding to this, the poster calls into question McCain "childishness", and praises Obamas "breeding and education", as if this is to imply somehow that McCain is lacking in maturity and intelligence. McCain has both and in my opinion not only knows what he is talking about but how to say it. (Ok so far...?) OK, to finish, I repeat. "That one" means, "look at him because it's his fault". Think about that.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simplynoone
I think what bothers me the most about McCain is his constant bragging on himself.
He keeps saying I have a record of this that and the other ..
The I word comes up way to much...

Along those lines...

McCain also like to answer questions with the phrase "I know how to fix that."

I'm not fond of that. I want to hear how He proposes to fix "stuff."

That's what I like about Obama. He tries to explain what He proposes.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
McCain was nice to refer to Obama as "That One" even if he did mean it in the most cynical way possible.

If Obama wins, I will ever refer to him as 'President' or even 'Mister'. I will be calling him the "Chief thief Obama".

Nothing at all wrong with that title, as I've heard so many people refer to President Bush as far worse.

[edit on 9-10-2008 by sos37]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
McCain is a good politician. He knows that people will get caught up in all of this nonsense, and during that period of time he can relax as he won't have to work as hard to gain the attention of his constituents. The people that get so caught up in all of this happen to be, and very unfortunately, those intellectuals that would usually provide the firm opposition, those that would disagree with his platform. So when things get dry for him, he cracks a joke and everyone jumps on the opportunity to prove him immature and denigrating. But in the end, all we've accomplished is let McCain's poorly thought out agenda slip under the radar for a few weeks of respite. This was the same tactic used a few weeks ago when the liberal media both highlighted and attacked Palin and her daughter's pregnancy. This tactic has the double irony of actually gaining greater support from the Republican party's conservative base, who would assuredly despise all the gossipry that occurs on these boards, political blogs and in the general public alike.

[edit on 9-10-2008 by cognoscente]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

President Bush got those nicknames based on actions that actually happened, you're basing nicknames on actions you think might happen if Obama becomes President.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
In spite of being zapped a few times for hurting the feelings of some on this debate

Did you get a chance to see my response to you before my post was also zapped?
fyi If they were zapped that probably means don't talk about it

There is nothing wrong in that McCain referred to Obama as "that one". What "that one" means is to bring a sharp laser beam front and center attention to Obama. That is it.

You are correct. That was its purpose.

Throwing the microphone at him would have also achieved that same goal. Doesn't make it a good approach.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
McCain was nice to refer to Obama as "That One" even if he did mean it in the most cynical way possible.

If Obama wins, I will ever refer to him as 'President' or even 'Mister'. I will be calling him the "Chief thief Obama".

Nothing at all wrong with that title, as I've heard so many people refer to President Bush as far worse.

[edit on 9-10-2008 by sos37]

I swear if this whole thing does not stink of some deep seeded koolaide racism.

BTW president BUSH is the worst president in history... He earned it. worked hard at
it, put big money first and now we have this. I revel in the fact that your vote will be considered the worst vote in history. THE children will hear of the tyrant and the radical
pseudo nazi denial that infected AMERICAN voters.

I am amazed you still love BUSH - he's on permanent vacation...

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

It is a low blow to have someone standing around you and in the setting they were in and refer to his much despised opponent as "that one"

I dont know where you come from, but its very poor taste, imagine McCain running for the presidency of the United States and he is definatly UPSTAGED by a man, a calm man with manners, and colored to boot.

This is at the bottom of Mc Cain NOT looking at him in the first debate (how rude) and the second debate was full of Bush-like psychosis, so plain to see that this little man is full of contempt for "that one" because he is DESPERATE and he knows Obama has it all over him.

Money, you can have all the money in the world, but if you are not a good person, with good intentions and good at heart, it means nothing. McCain IS THE SECOND COMING OF BUSH.

And darn it YES< it is about racism. Rick Sanchez of CNN had a spot today about this very subject. The Bradley effect, and how people will say they will give Obama the vote, but in the end they may not. Why? Skin color!!!
This is why Obama is called a Terrorist, a Muslim, etc, BECAUSE THEY CANT SAY WHAT THEY REALLY WANT TO SAY. " ITS THE COLOR, STUPID"

Mull that one over for awhile and tell me i;m not 100% correct.

You people would rather live under the worse tyranny in the world, than go with someone who looks different. What a shame. What a shame.

Think about this before its too late. Its time to THINK.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Thanks loam, I didn't watch the debate, maybe it was a play on "The One"

just kidding,

much to do about nothing, methinks

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

How can you people possibly even think about putting a man into the highest rank in the country that has only two years of political experience, and no military experience? The "Commander in Chief" with no military experience at all? Face it, this country has become a place of whiners and empathizers. I work for a company with a population of roughly 90 percent black people. They have all (roughly 70 people or so) said that they will vote for Obama just because he is black. Let's forget for a moment his lack of morals, his Muslim history, and his inexperience he's black so let's elect the man. Don't get me wrong, I'm no McCain fan either and I have always voted republican but he does appear to be the lesser of two evils and I see absolutely nothing wrong with his comment. Obama's campaign tried immediately to turn the entire election into a Jerry Springer nightmare as soon as Palin was announced on the ticket. If you are gonna complain, complain about something tangible. Not about "That One"

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Just wanted to add my two cents. I don't really care if McCain wants to refer to Obama as "That One". It could be a slip of the tongue, hidden meaning or just who he is. Bottom line is, lets focus on what matters most and that is us Americans

All this arguing amongst Republicans and Democrats won't help one bit. My party wins, then in about 4-12 years I have no doubt that the other party will get into office. If I believe My party cannot win or isn't offering what I really want and the other party is then you bet your balls I'm switching sides. The bottom line for me is, If McCain wins then he's still my President and will be fighting for ME and YOU, If Obama wins its the same. The President is not for the Red State and for the Blue State, he/she is for the United States. I can just hope my party wins and if the other does I hope my core values and beliefs are considered.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I think this is quite ridiculous enough yet... with these kinds of attacks and the inability to actually say anything of relevence from either candidate only one thing made the debate more pathetic than it was

Worse than either candite imho

was the people answering questions... remember that old woman who could barely read her cue card... and kind of shook with that ..."I got you now" kind of face when she stammerd through it...

it was pathetic honestly, the people asking questions seemed mentally handicaped

So... i'm just so disgusted and appalled...

When McCain was going off about "not telegraphing his punches" Thats when I think he should have made his point with a sudden Bruce lee move...One inch Punch right to Obamas Larynx just to prove his point

We all know there is going to be an NWO, so why get all the innocent people of the world involved?

100 Man Battle Royal of the worlds leading politicians...This is seriously what I wish to see... here's the play by play in my fantasy debate/Battle Royal..

"Ahmedinjad issues a low blow to Al gore and oh... look at that Putin has George Bush in a sleeper hold... wait Cheeny has a chair.... the referee doesn't see, He swings at Putin and Misses sending Olmert and McCain over the top rope... what a Blunder on the part of Dick... wait.... a Giant Booooo from the cowd... it's Hu jinato entering the ring with Kim Jong Il.... KIm is spitting some kind of Green poison into the eyes of Cheeny he's blind, Cheeeny is down! Putin has him up and oghhhhh noooo cheeny is powerslamed by Putin down to the ground from the top rope, bring the ambulence! Cheeny might be seriously injured...

The crowd is going wild it's Barack Obama coming in to replace Cheney he enters he's headed over to al Gore... Ahmedinjad has Al in the Cobra Clutch...wait oh no , Obama is helping Ahmedinjad, We knew it, Al Gore is out of the ring... Bush and Tony Blair are all the west have left in the ring.... this is going to be bad the others are closing them into a corner, Obama is boxing around like Mohamed Ali...

What? whats that? OH MY GOD Sarah Palin with Garbage Can Lid off the top rope.... SARAH PALIN from 20 feet in the air...what intestinal fortitude... Ahmedinjad is out cold... he's trembling Sarah Palin shocker off the top rope ... OOOH Sweet Chin Music From Sarah Palin to the Jaw of Kim Jong Il... he's over the top rope Sarah Palin has Taken out the Axis of evil with 2 heart stoping Moves, the crowd is going berzerk ladies and gentlemen... wiat... Hugo Chavez just snuck in behind Palin and hit her with some sort object she's stunned....

Suprisingly Gene, King Tufugu of Somoa has silently managed to stay in the ring for the last 30 minutes...yes, the Big Samoan with no ties to anyone and despite his age is hanging in there through the whole match....we could see the world run by The Somans in a suprise victory...

oh wait...whats this Mugabe and Pope Benedict are entering the ring... the Pope has Sarah Palin up on his shoulders and they are fighting Chicken style a rake to Chavez eyes by Sarah Palin.... but oooooh Hu Jintao hits her from the top rope and her and the Pope both tumble out of the ring, Putin has Tony Blair in a figure 4 and he taps out..... OH the Palin Suprise didn't help the West for very long...

Only Bush remains in the ring, Ahmedinjad is back on his feet they have him surrounded, Bush is throwing punches in every direction but there are simply too many of them... he is up, Putin has him by the neck...Putin has waited 8 years for this! Bush is over the top rope Putin is in the center of the ring... Putin, Ahmedinjad, Hu, Hugo, Barack Obama and now Osama Bin Laden has entered the ring... they just tossed the Somoan King out.... there is NO one left...there is Only One person left due to enter the ring.... we have a few seconds here Gene before the last person comes down... it looks like Putin and his allies are going to win the day...even if it's someone who is pro West, how could they ever hope to defeat the crew assembled in the center of the ring...

Here it comes, OH MY GOD... the Crowd is electrified... people are crying gene... he's running to the Ring... GOVERNOR SHWARZENAGER of the Great State of California is running to the ring! The crowd is going wild... No Last Name Neccessary It's Arnold, the Governator is in the Ring!

He tackles Hugo with a football slam, has him up Good God he tossed Hugo Chavez 10 feet in the air Hugo is out.... Ahmedinjad has Arnold in a sleeper hold but arnold breaks it instantly, he Monkey Flips Ahmedinjad into the turnbuickle! Catches him, Power slam over the top rope Ahmedinjad is down and out! Mugabe tries sneaking in on Aronald but over the rope he goes with a Giant Boot to the Face... here Comes Obama and Osama to Double team arnold... Arnold gives Osama the DDT, DDT to Osama... the Crowd is sing the American National Anthem! Everyone is on thier feet, Obama goes down to a Back Drop Lariat...who would think such a big man could pull of that move he is Obama and Osama each on One arm and lifts them in a double choke hold...up and over the top rope... Obama and Osama are down and Out....Hu Jintao comes off the top rope... arnold doesn't see him....wait he turns he Catches Hu in Mid air 450 Splash out to the hard floor... HU is OUT...

It's Just Putin and the Governator left, the two toughest men in politics... Putin lashes out with what appears to be some sort of Daeth strike, arnold is down on one knee... Putin with a series of kicks and chops to the Governators Head... The Governator is bleeding,Putin has the Governator in a sleeper hold... Arnold is going down, Arnold appears to be out... Putin s going to the top rope, he's going to add insult to injury... he doesn't want to just win he is going to punish Arnold... he leaps ...a swanton Bomb from the top rope.... but Arnold Moves he's out of the way...Putin goes down Hard Arniold is up he has Putin in a firmans carry he is spinning him around , hurls him at the turnbuckle catches him ...Putin is up above Arnolds head...this could be it! This could be it! Putin Goes out! Arnold wins it, Arnold wins it...the new leader of the world is Arnold Shwarzenagger

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I thought it was awsome.

reply to post by dgtempe

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join