During Debate McCain refers to Obama as.."THAT ONE"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Hey, dg...

I caught that, yes... I was not particularly offended by it, given the context of the sentence... he was talking about "which Senator voted for" some bill, and then referred to Obama as "that one", meaning, "that Senator".

I just took it for a McCain attempt at being "folksy" which did not come off very well...

But at least we can be glad he didn't take a page from the mutt's playbook and refer to Obama as "that Muslim terrorist there"...

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

I was uphalled too. McCain seems tired and old and not fit. Obama is fresh and collected and smooth and McCain must realize this.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I thought McCain was kinda creepy with his forced "folksiness". For being in his alleged "preferred style" of debate, he didn't come off very smooth at all. His "That One" comment was obviously contrived ahead of time, and he couldn't wait to bust it out. And he constantly steered his answers to a position where he could throw in the "zingers" that his camp has been raining down lately....pathetic, really, but I suppose there is a certain element in society that this type of politickin' appeals to...so sad.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Using the reference " that one " is something a parent would do describing their child when they are so angry with them they cannot say their name.

Its rude, insulting, condescending, and not becoming of any man who would be placed in the position of diplomacy on behalf of this great nation.

Peace

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
No offense, but don't we have bigger fish to fry, I mean to me this is a non issue and obviously as badly worded as it was, was not meant to be anything.

Look at the world around you, if this is what bothers you, IMHO you have far to much time on your hands. I personally do not care if he calls anyone, This One, "That One" or The Next One. Its a political debate with a lot of mudslinging from both sides. Lets stick to the issues and what the candidate believes in.

DG, seems to me you have plenty of other things against McCain to add this to your list =) You have to be running out of paper. Again absolutely no offense meant.

Just for the record I am so freakin undecided.. Dammit I haven't been this confused in a long time.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

This is so pathetic it's ridiculous. Should he had refered to Barack Obama as "sweetie" like Obama did to a female reporter ? Why doesn't BO refer to Presdient Bush as "president" ? Is that some sort of code word?

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Haven't read the thread yet because I didn't want to be influenced.

This reminds me of something my dad may have said when I was a kid. If I was doing something weird, he may have said something to my mother like, "What's that one up to"?

I was not particularly offended last night, but thought it spoke to McCain's age and his perception of Obama as a young kid foolin' around. (He is a young kid compared to McCain.) It was condescending and disrespectful, but I think Obama just laughs these things off, as do I. It speaks more to McCain's attitude than anything and I thought it showed his arrogance.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
*snip*

Did you see teleprompters during the debate? I didn't. I'm pretty sure they were not allowed there.

Obama was well spoken last night, and McCain didn't fare too well in that area. Therefore, he sort of snapped and said that stupid thing.

Mod Edit: Removed off-topic quote.

[edit on 10/8/2008 by maria_stardust]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
*snip*

It absolutely astonishes me that people can still say this sort of stuff after the last two debates. If anything, McCain has more trouble articulating without a prompter. As Buddhasystem said, the debates were not teleprompted, and who keeps coming out on top?

The GOP is losing this race and I think you are starting to get scared.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Deleted

[edit on 8-10-2008 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
In the context of the statement, I understood it as an implication that Obama and McCain were in the same class of folks---politicians---and 'that one' voted for the bill.

Listen carefully to how McCain sets up his point before the phrase everyone seems to be hyperventilating over.

McCain was merely distinguishing himpself as the politician who voted against the bill.

Non issue, imo.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by loam]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
*snip*

I personally don't care what gear and in what quantities he buses around the country. If he carries a vintage Moog synthesizer in his suitcase, that's also OK.

Fact is, he spoke extremely well without a teleprompter last night, and McCain didn't. How that makes Obama an "empty suit", is beyond me.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
*snip*

And that would be Obama's "terrorist ties", pray tell?

McCain's campaign now resorts to mud pies as their main tool, for lack of their own substance... So go easy on "shill" and "trash"...

Mod Edit: Removed political trolling quote.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
this is such a non-issue! The statement that McCain made last night that had me with my jaw open was something along the lines of "We will have to invade countries that we can't even find on the map..... errr, some Americans."

So far, I haven't seen anyone mention that statement at all, and it was the most damning in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Go easy??? Listen the only hope either party has of winning cleanly is smearing the other team.. It's pretty pathetic of both parties that they suck so bad they can't win a clean race which means both parties are losers!

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
The statement that McCain made last night that had me with my jaw open was something along the lines of "We will have to invade countries that we can't even find on the map..... errr, some Americans."

When he said that, I shouted "WHAT"?!?!?!?

I'm just not surprised by anything this man says.

From the transcript, he said, "There are challenges around the world that are new and different and there will be different -- we will be talking about countries sometime in the future that we hardly know where they are on the map, some Americans."

Ugh! WTH does that mean? :shk:

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join