It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

During Debate McCain refers to Obama as.."THAT ONE"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
lETS try to have a little discussion about this in a nice manner.

Scuse me, but who does McCain think he is referring to another Presidential candidate as "That one" meaning Obama, who happened to be the person he was referring to???????

Did anyone catch that one?

I was uphalled at McCain in this small meeting with Obama right there next to him saying something as this!!!

Never in my years of watching these debates have i ever seen such contempt directed towards an opponent.

Say what you will, but Obama demonstrates breeding and education as opposed to a jab such as this- as if Obama was an "it", insignificant and having no rights to be properly directed to as "my opponent" or better yet, even as "the senator" or simply Obama.

I saw something that was childish and very improper from McCain last night and although he did take some quick glances this time at Obama (had to this time or the crap would fly) it is not the way a supposed man of McCains caliber should conduct himself in a debate.

This is my observation. Sure, take pot shots, bring up and dig up all the bad things about your oponent, i can see that. But to make Obama look o the eyes of the world as "THAT ONE" IMO, is not necessary and its just not acceptable.

Shame on McCain. I realize the bar has been lowered for presidents, at least it seems it now for years but civility, especially in this country, who is trying to lead by example, inspite of economic problems , should be practiced as it always was before.

Folks, diplomacy is very important, especially during these times. I am just floored that that man had the gull to take such a cheap shot on a very important night.

Does this bother anyone else?

AGAIN:
I will say i am just looking at this from the outside. I reside in the USA but i have lost all faith in government and i DO NOT HAVE A FAVORITE.

I am known as a liberal- forget that. I am nothing, just sitting on the fence as usual, hoping for a good leader. I have no preference. I consider them both for my vote.

Thoughts? And please no flaming.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I think this was covered on TV last night (forget which channel).

Referring to one's opponent as an inanimate object (that one) is exceedingly weird and reflects poorly on McCain.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I am trying a new tack... just ignore posts like fromabove's... they serve no purpose and are little more than static since nothing I can say that will change their minds.

McCain comes through the second debate sounding just as surly and petulant as he did in the first debate... more and more the man looks less presidential material and just looks old and tired and desperate.

Repeatedly polls have been saying that the voters want a real discussion not just attacks and the man seems incapable of delivering while Obama says just enough to evoke a positive response and it is serving him well.

[edit on 8-10-2008 by grover]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

You are right. I was offended. It is a personal shot and he was way out of ine.

*snip*

This is worth looking at again. Look at this answer by this poster.
This is what America the beautiful is now thinking, at least some.

Mod Edit: Removed political trolling post quote.

[edit on 10/8/2008 by maria_stardust]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
all i saw was two senators pretending to be more presidential than the other guy.

these guys aren't presidents, presidents are leaders, strong and opiniated take charge kind of guys.
they tell you "this is what needs to be done and this is how we are going to do it"

Putin would be a good example of a presidential person, i don't mean his ideas but how he is a born leader and his people respect him and adore him.
(yah...i kinda have a thing for putin...sorry)

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I didn't notice it, but then again I found the debate so terribly boring that I turned it off. That said, I'm all for anything that makes Obama supporters unhappy. I'm sorta mean like that these days.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I think the problem is that everyone expects too much political correctness when people speak. Generalizing is not a filthy thing.

Perhaps McCain could have used another term or phrase. But the thing to remember about both candidates is that they are human.

Humans do make mistakes..even miniscule ones like saying "that one".

Cheers!!!!

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

"Ties to terrorists" is a term applicable to a person who is being indoctrinated by an Al Qaeda or IRA emissary and is either providing them with some sort of help or is contemplating such actions. These are ties. In case of Obama, that's just a load of crap. Oh yeah, I know he's a secret Muslim. Right.

However, your attempt to derail the thread with OT has been duly noted.

That grumpy old man resorted to insults because that's all he got on Obama.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Youknow, i , like Grover, have about given up

My point is that they can bring up things on each other, they can dig up dirt, they can fight for their agendas, they both want to be president. They can get down low and bring up all the oponent's faults, etc.

BUT TO SAY "THAT ONE" IS totally detrimental and if you think McCain is all THAT, YOU SHOULD BE PISSED YOURSELF. Because he is digging his own grave with such innuendos.

Got it now?

Ex

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   

If you can prove somehow that what I said was wrong, I will opologize to you for saying it. Otherwise I stand by what I said. I know the truth hurts, but that's what it is, the truth. People buy his bill of goods for reasons beyond common sense.

No there is no truth in your statement ,
as well as seeming to be incapabile to even grasp what those words
" The One " even suggests,
but then maybe you do and that my friend is called
A Bigot and Racist ,to gloss over such a fraudian slip,
if not a deliberate slap in the face ,
says a whole lot about you, fromabove.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I think what bothers me the most about McCain is his constant bragging on himself.
He keeps saying I have a record of this that and the other ..
The I word comes up way to much .

Someone who is truly great need not brag on themselves ...
It is evident in the way they live their lives and the things that they do .
They will be an example ..and everyone else will do the bragging for them.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I'm Canadian but did watch a little bit of the debate.(not sure why:lol

I found it to be very 'heavy hitting' from both sides.

I didn't see the comment you mentioned in this post but I did find McCain to be a bit of a bully. What I found most annoying was that in the 30mins or so that I watched it, he brought up his war experience in every rebuttal.

Its like dragging a dead horse, everybody knows its there but no one wants to ride it.

One point of the debate that jumped out at me was when they were asked about going into Pakistan after terrorists.

I thought both responses were well relayed, but I found McCain turned Obama's words around to make it seem like he said he would 'attack' Pakistan, where it was clear he hadn't said that.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I want to know who in God's green earth was filtering/selecting the questions? I mean holy crap, was that the BEST they could do for questions? And all either of them did was repeat (ad nauseum) the same sound bites. I swear, if I heard McCain say 'my friends' or reach across the aisle/table ONE more time....

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Actually I do not think that either of them is ..."all that" to begin with.

They both do the same thing, dig up the dirt and throw it as far as they can.

But you know what? Thats politics in America baby. Swing low, fling high and duck the inbound.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
who cares. there all a useless waste of skin in my book.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I too watched the debate last night. As I am undecided who to vote for as yet. I did notice McCain's referal that you are talking about. I also notice how Obama, when first responding to a question, didn't even aknowledge the lady that asked the question. He answered immediately with the word "Look". Instead of aknowledging the person and thanking them for their question. Sounded a bit combative to me.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I didn't have a problem with his comment at all. "That one" "this guy" "him over there", whatever, it all means the same thing. I think people who claim to be offended by this are reaching.

This was not an inappropriate comment as far as I'm concerned. I don't care what they call each other, I just want to know who is going to lead this country the best.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join