It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vice Presidential Debate- Palin vs. Biden: The Thread

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jadette
There was only one point in the discussion really worth noting:

When asked what the Vice President would do, Palin answered and said that she would use the powers that the constitution would give her, to control congress and ensure that her and McCain's policies would be enabled.

And if that doesn't scare you, you haven't been paying attention.

I agree, what was she thinking? I’ve stated since the day she got into the race and I began researching her that she reminded me of Dick Cheney. Tonight she just confirmed my worst fear. I don’t think the woman is as incompetent or malicious as some make her out to be however I have to hope she must have not understood fully what she was stating or we are in big trouble if she is elected. How can one fight against “bigger government” and then make statements like that?

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

That's where I disagree with all the Palin stuff.

I dont think she is knowledgable enough to handle the VP less alone the presidency.

She did good at talking points, I give her credit for that but I dont think she is ready to be handed the job.

Just pointing it out.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Jadette

One of the biggest outrages of the last eight years has been the Executive power grab that's been going on.

Congress don't seem to agree with you. Otherwise, Congress would reclaim what they feel is rightfully theirs.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Man I'm pissed. I subscribed to this thread (but hadn't replied yet), kept telling myself to TIVO it, forgot anyways, and ended up missing it!

Now I'll be stuck hunting down You Tube videos.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Palin V Biden

Biden kept her at bay pointing out facts. Palin used soccer and hockey mom more then she used any other word. Well, except Maverick. Finally Biden stomped on her when using Maverick to bash McCain.

I'd have to say it is a win by Biden.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Jadette

Yeah I thought I heard that comment but english been my second language I thought I might heard something that wasn't right.

Good!! that means that my english comprehension is getting better

Thats a really awful point to male specially now with Dick Cheney sitting in the WH.

I dont know what she was thinking with that comment.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

You have to realize that the Congress was under Republican control for 6 years during this administration. And now with democratic control there has been more compromising, but for the 6 years before it was anything goes.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
reply to post by jam321

You have to realize that the Congress was under Republican control for 6 years during this administration. And now with democratic control there has been more compromising, but for the 6 years before it was anything goes.

And in support of that, Bush only vetoed one bill during the first 6 years, and 12 bills in the last two.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Congress has been alarmed by it. Even conservative congressmen.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

has nothing to do about reps or dems. This is about executive and Congress. If the Congressional branch felt that the executive branch was trying to expand its powers beyond what the constitution allows, the Congress has every right to remedy that situation via legislation or through the judicial system. Since Congress has failed to do so, one must assume that the executive branch is is within their limits. I seriously doubt that the Congressional branch would allow the executive branch to have more power or vice versa, regardless of who controls Congress. Washington is all about power and both branches are constantly confronting each other for that power.

edit" As far as Palin remark I will have to read up on that.

[edit on 2-10-2008 by jam321]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
This thread isn't about the previous administration, or the "Do Nothing Democrat Congress" or any of that. It's about tonight's debate.

Please stay on topic.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
could she have been wearing a wire

www.opednews.com...

is it possible, she needed to do well and many people seem to think she did.

could she have cheated?

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by robertnesta

Dang, It didn't take long for people to start slamming Palin again.

No, she didn't cheat.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Allow me to add something here... This election has EVERYTHING to do with the last administration and mess that this nation was put through. And about the congress.. 6 out of these 8years the congress was controlled by the Republicans. This mess could be traced back towards the first few years under bush during the republican congress. Its only now the rightwingers are making a big deal about congress because the democrats are in. And lord knows howmany times any proposal from the democrats were either vetoed or were not cooperated with by the rightwingers.

And as for this debate, we're finding our selfs in partisan talk and the only way we'll know the impact of either VP candidate is in the following days to come.

[edit on 2-10-2008 by southern_Guardian]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Common J, you know better than that, ITS ABOUT POLITICS!

You help me I help you, there is no denying that Cheney crooks where all over Congress twisting arms and scaring Congressional members to get away with anything they want it, war, spying bill, EVRYTHING GOES.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Do nothing democrat congress? Uh, they do stuff, but Bush Vetoes everything. So not their fault.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I think she did a wonderful job at showing many of us that she is a decent human being and as she said had only been at it for about 5 weeks. She spoke about them ("east coast politicians") vs. small town Alaska and while I understand that she was trying to draw a contrast and suggest she was more in tune, it made me think that she sees America as a place deeply divided and as VP she needs to view it as one. Joe followed up brilliantly by pointing out his grass roots and small town background as well. I'm glad she also pointed out that she actually did know what a VP does and neutralized that earlier slip up.

All and all (and I'm bias of course approaching this from a progressive world view ) I think both were classy and spoke well. With Biden I felt he seemed "a natural" and knew very precisely the subject matter in depth and what he was talking about, whereas I sorta' got the feeling that Sarah had spent a lot of time with coaches prepping for many of the topics.

I was very annoyed with her habitual use of hollow cliché’s however, and am wondering how that will play with folks. I'm feeling like more and more people are learning that hollow cliché’s and empty slogans are just shallow and for the most part baseless...

At the end did anyone notice how Joe really made an effort (what looked very genuine to me) at meeting Sarah's family and though I couldn't hear what he was saying, it looked as though he was complimenting her. I think they both acted very cordial and professional.

Another thought: The Sarah we saw could have almost been a democrat. Several times I was thinking "she's running as a Democrat!". Of course the reality of the platform she is representing is drastically different, but she and the coaches know that the Democratic party platform right now is leaps and bounds ahead of the Republican one in terms of new voters and polling data so to me it was obvious that they were trying to appeal to folks who are more inclined to vote Democratic, but perhaps, don't know enough (or care much to put forth a whole lot of effort to find out) about politics and such to make the more educated differentiation.

Something else that stood out to me was her facial expressions and body language when it got to the “gay marriage” issue. I suspect (but of course could be wrong) that she really wants to be pro on this, however being a Republican can’t afford to break ranks and risk all those right wing Christian votes. Of the entire debate, this is when she came the closest to blushing, loosing her place and acting like she has in past interviews…I don’t know if anyone else noticed that or not? I think Joe was successful with his explanation of the importance of civil and Constitutional rights and equality insofar as that was concerned and Sarah’s position seemed to more reflect something within a church setting which he wisely pointed out was different from that of civil law. She then worked hard to take it back into the realms of that “sanctity of marriage” label the Christians love so much.

Anyway, I respect her and thought she did a good job. Joe was kind and I felt very honest, and yet stern. I read somewhere that she appeared like an animal of some kind that might leap out and try to tug at the pant legs of a passer by, and I think that really sums it up, at least for me...I think she needs to focus on her State and work at becoming a bit more knowledgeable on National and International affairs. The team who wins will be thrown to the wolves, and it's a nasty pack, and she failed to get me to believe she is ready at this point in her career to take them on.

Aside from all this cuddly warm perception stuff, I strongly disagree with her on policy and would rather that she avoid the cliché’s. I'm still for Obama and Biden.

*** 28 pages...wowsers!!!!***

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   

You know what, and I was thinking about this the other day, as much as I like and as much as I know that McCain policies are very much similar to those of Bush, I would wish that they drop the line of "McCain is Bush", and I tell you why.

It might be right, they might have a point but is getting old, and people at some point are going to turn a deaf ear to that and will no longer hear your message.

They have already establish that point, I think is time to move on and talk more about the issues which is what people are dying to hear IMO.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

As far as I know there is only one person who has tried to restore Congresses Powers. Ron Paul.

Separation of Powers Restoration Act (Introduced in House)

HR 864 IH

107th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 864

To restore the separation of powers between the Congress and the President.

source

Now I will work with you. I am sure they twisted arms but there were also many Dems who went along with the ride. And since the Dems took over Congress they have had plenty of time to reclaim those powers and have chosen not to . As a result, if they snooze they lose.

Unbelievable that only Ron and a few others have tried to reclaim their rightful power. Paul has sponsored many other similar legislation.

posted on Oct, 3 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I find it amazing and disheartening that on a board that is overwhelmingly against the "Main Stream Media"has no problem when it supports their personal view.One thing Biden was right about this is the most important election in a long time. Both candidates for POTUS have glaring weaknesses, Obama's experience and McCain's age are just the start. As this economic,banking,credit and mortgage crisis has shown our vote now can have far reaching consequences.

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join