It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Views' Counter is Lying

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Funny one, this. When I posted this thread I noticed the 'Viewers' was listed as 0, (which struck me as odd as I thought every thread went automatically to a mod or two). Now that I've been out a few hours & come back I check back & see that there are 3 replies, but still 0 viewers!? Any suggestions as to what's up?

Many thanks.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The counter is shut down for now due to some server problems. No big deal, as it really serves only to let people know how many folks cared about a thread enough to click on it.

I expect it'll be back soon.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

What? My life depends on it.

I feel so insecure...

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

A cookie and a glass of cold milk might go a long ways in making things better. It works for me.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Cheers. I feel much better after that.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by NGC2736
reply to post by pause4thought

A cookie and a glass of cold milk might go a long ways in making things better. It works for me.

you mods are some of the brightest buy goofiest guys on ATS

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Works for me too, as long as there's 2 ounces of Kahlua in it too (gently stirred).

The thread views are important. I recognise that it's a great measure of how popular a thread title can be. To be able to come up with a title that grabs attention is a fundamental tool in getting your OP read.

Now, as far as the text in the OP goes, that's what can get replies, so a good combination of both title and informative text in the OP win both views and replies.

No doubt the views ticker will be back.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DirtyHarry

Maintaining a sense of goofy humor is a job requirement. You didn't think they chose us for brains did you?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

When you're answering a question in your position as a mod and using a bit of information "normal" members weren't privvy to (ie: a server is down), why do you still use the little "The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion." box? Are we to assume that you just fed us a line about the server and really have no idea what's going on?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Didn't you read that part about not being chosen for intelligence?

I sometimes ignore that box thing, unless I'm yelling at people to simmer down and stop calling each other names.

Besides, as a techno idiot, I just assume it's server problems. I'm like those grease station monkeys from the old days who looked under the hood and then drawled in a Gomer Pyle voice, "Shezam, I think you're gonna' need a whole tune up to ever get this going again."

Personally, if the damn computer doesn't work right I usually give it a solid thump or two, drink a beer, pee, and when I get back it usually runs.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I hope the "views" come back soon. A lot of times it feels like one is posting into the void, so views are encouraging in a way. I always watch them carefully. They are a small but important part of the experience on ATS.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
ok : you are NOT your post count / thread views / flags / stars / applause / ATS points

if any of these thing really ` matter ` to you - seek professional help

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

I already did. My shrink said I'd be OK as long as the views counter didn't go down.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought
reply to post by NGC2736

What? My life depends on it.

I feel so insecure...

Here's a virtual hug with some Oreos and milk.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by _Volt_

Wow! That felt so good. I feel so secure it's making me weep.

There's only one response:

Mods: I no longer need the views counter.

I'm FREE.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
This is a very complex website. I know almost nothing about HTML, CSS and that sort of stuff, but whoever is the webmaster on this site has got to be one gonzo geek.

Having said that, I just want to convey my best good wishes for the speedy return of the views feature. Often the only thing worth reading in a thread is the views count.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Well the view counter has now disappeared.
Good riddance!
I was tired of dealing with how many people ignore me.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
This is a weird thread.

Anyway. Mods, if something like the view count is down then why not send out an automated u2u telling people? It would avoid these types of threads.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
It also says the views for my topic is zero and the same for this topic. What is going on here?

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
OMG. Can't you all see that this is SO's version of NLP? That he is deliberately dumbing us down to get us used to ATS without a view column? Don't you think he is tired of that view column? Don't you think he'd much rather not deal with that view column when he has to put up with Springer?
Wassa matta with you peoples. :shk:

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join