It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The governmental Database known as Facebook.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Not too bad. An energetic four-page thread based on nothing more than a hunch. (See introduction.) And people say that FaceBook users are wasting their time!

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
yes the government already has you on file and know everything about you before facebook even came about. and the whole question thing is because they want to know what people like so they know what to put out.

reply to post by vesta

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Why would they need face book, if you have a job, telephone, electric bill, bank account or use a credit card they know everything they need to know about who you are and where you're at.

I don't give out true info to websites because it's none of their business, but I don't believe for a second that somebody who really wants to know doesn't know who I am.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by tdogg1

The information you describe is standard for everyone; however, Facebook goes beyond that and additionally supplies the following: your political viewpoints, associations(friends and/or accomplices), hobbies, special interests, sexual orientation, browsing habits, advertisements that attract your attention the most, the type of person you are, and the way you communicate. This is not a joke. Most people do not know this is happening, and if they do, they just don't care. These types of information grabbing websites will only become more malicious as time goes on. It is funny how nobody really questions why the site is "free". Just an ad funded site? I think not.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
An interesting topic...but completely ridiculous. I have myspace and facebook accounts. Maybe Im just not as paranoid as I apparently should be. But I find it quite difficult to believe the government requires sites such as these to track my every move. All of their glorious cutting-edge technology is less sucessful of spying on me and gathering vital info than a website that shows I like punk music, european sports cars and have a german shepherd??

Regardless, I make my profiles "private" which makes viewing them impossible unless I know someone personally and grant access. Maybe the majority of users who have all of the intimate details available for public viewing are being tracked by the cia, fbi and division 7 on a daily basis. And if so...who cares? I would be way more worried of THIS site for stirring up interest with the government.

As previously stated, there are countless ways the government and identity thieves are already extremely capable of obtaining any information they may be looking for...

now excuse me...I have to go check my myspace inbox...

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
you are absolutely correct, we have done it for them!

not just on facebook either, think of all the sites that we all belong to & the variety of informaiton that is on them!..

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
With all the concern about internet security and internet crime, it helps for one to know where to report it. This is the official site for those who are unaware. The more complaints about a particular suspicious site or user, the more attention or priority given to the case. Good site to save in favorites.

Internet crime complaint center

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
To be honest I think the government have access to a lot more details than they could get through Facebook. Although it certainly would be an easy target. Its the things you dont know about that you should worry about lol.

Here's something though. If you use the same username on multiple forum, blogs, websites etc. Put your username in Google and you'll find just about everything you've ever posted in that username! So if anyone was trying to find out something about you, they wouldnt have to spend long looking!

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by elohimscience

Interesting

Thanks for sharing that.

[edit on 2-10-2008 by dodgygeeza]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Saw this presentation a little while ago and figured this thread would be a suitable place to put it.

Privacy is Dead, GET OVER IT

It is many parts long, and each part is roughly 5 minutes long.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Funny that people are worried about Facebook, when people are probably telling a lot more about themselves on this site.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I think there are concerns with data privacy when it comes to Facebook but as long as your page is properly secured you shouldn't have too many problems. FB recently tightened privacy settings so there is no way the Government should legally be able to access this information. There are however always people that leave their profiles wide open to the whole world, they should worry more.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by j.bowen00
Funny that people are worried about Facebook, when people are probably telling a lot more about themselves on this site.

A point perfectly made.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I know this is an older topic but I wanted to add my two cents.
If you don't fill in all of the private information facebook thinks they need, if your posts are completely innocuous and give nothing away then they will "lock" your account for some manufactured infraction, complaint or suspicious activity. Then they email you (at the address you gave when you signed up) and ask you to upload a copy of a government issued photo ID.

I refused and can't repeat here what I told them. Then they said I could verify I was who I say I am by giving them a credit card number or a cell phone number! Again I refused in a very colorful style.

I then received an email that said I would no longer have access to my account if I refused to verify my identity with a PHOTO ID, cell phone number or credit card. WHY do they "think" they need that?

I told them they were welcome to the few photos of my dogs on facebook because that's all they were getting from me.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
thank god i was born paranoid.

i had an account in college because i pretty much had to in order to find out where the parties and music shows were at.. but i never had any personal info or photos of my face.. not even my full name.

and now its deleted... my myspace too, which i had customized into a bizarre art project/contact point, but their retarded redesigns turned it all into a completely unusable mess.

i still think its downright scary-crazy how people will complain all day long about the privacy issues and everything, they clearly know all about it, YET STILL CONTINUE TO USE IT!!!

i must have just missed when they handed out the zombie koolaid

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by BohemianBrim

I'm fairly certain my lack of information was their prime issue. There were no photos of me, or any other person. Just dogs. They aren't getting anything more from me than what they already have. If they have a use for images of my dogs .. good for them. They don't have, aren't getting, an image of me.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by BohemianBrim

one has to wonder how your alumni coped in the pre-internet era

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

well i was about 3 years older than all of them(i was always buying the beer)... and i got the internet(dial-up, i feel nostalgic thinking of that high-pitched screeching) when i was a junior in high school... so i dont think they ever had a chance to "cope".. lol.

posted on Aug, 16 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

That's scary.. they obviously have orders from up top to make sure every account is tied to an identifiable individual. Reminds me of Google+ and their real name requirement.

So glad I finally figured out how to delete my FB account. Of course just doing that probably puts me right at the top of the miscreant list.

It has come to the point in my generation at least that not having a FB account which you monitor and update daily is considered to be anti-social behavior.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join