It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The governmental Database known as Facebook.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
i dont have a facebook.. or a myspace... i use livejournal, and i have no details, no pictures...

just an outlet for stuff i find on the web really, and you can make private entries as well...

my girlfriend is always bugging me about creative a myspace account or facebook.. and i've always felt the were an abomination for some reason but could never put my finger on it, now i know why.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Yeah, I just did one because my classmates are trying to reconnect and classmates rots at this point, and myspace is more kids.

Realistically though, I gave up worrying about it a few years back. They already know whatever they want to know, so what do I have to hide?

A few years back, I tested this theory (when I had nothing anywhere on the internet personal about me) with a fellow ATSer from another country. After a long time of private chatting, and his claims that he had access to info, I challenged him by giving him my full name. Within half an hour he spewed back my entire life, from my maiden name to where I grew up and everything I did in the 40 years I'd been alive.

It's out there folks, if the Russians have it the US surely does. (This particular member was from Russia).

So don't kid yourselves about privacy, it was lost a long time ago, regardless of whether or not you want to play on Facebook or any other place.

If I had kids though I definately would keep them off of any of these sites. Found my 12 year old nephew on myspace. He had graduated High School, was earning 7 figures and gosh I was so proud to know him.

Then my sis gets him a new cell phone and he posts the number on the top of his page (she didn't have a clue and his page was public). He probably hates me now for ratting him out. Oh, now this post makes me realize I better go look the kids up there -
(Not really funny)

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
They already have our DNA, what do they need with Facebook?

Plus, I think FB is actually cool

Originally posted by d11_m_na_c05
Seriously who uses these sites besides 12 year olds acting 30 and 30 year olds acting 12?

I'm guessing some of the people who come on here do

[edit on 27-9-2008 by Amelie]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by dodgygeeza

Your right. I suppose there is alot our there that we know that we don't post. I learned about this about six months ago and closed my account. I didn't expose too much of myself personally though I did include a few close companions, freinds, relatives. That's enough information for one to gather on you to do what ever they like.

This is done more than one knows. Most of the time, your friends have no idea they have spoken to someone (not just online though at times in person) who has an alterior motive to their acquaintance.

I closed my account; only opened it in the first place because someone I knew asked me to. I hardly used it anyhow...kinda silly for someone older than say 30 eh?

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by dodgygeeza
Everyone is afraid that the government has a national database with every detail about you on it. Actually, we created it for them and without a shred of work on their end!

Yes, you are right. The Facebook might be a governmental database.

But consider this: if you have nothing to hide, if you are thoroughly a good person, if you are nice to other people and if you have a clean criminal record - then being on Facebook should not be a problem.

Only when you do some shadow business, take part in criminal activities, etc - only then you should be worried that the governemt will start tracking you on Facebook.

But if you have nothing to hide, none of this should be a problem.

Do you have anything to hide?

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
well to pick on facebook is a little arbitrary. a government can track and monitor its citizenry through any number of websites and applications on the internet, including this site. I have a facebook and myspace page; but unlike many ignorant/immature people who use them I don't post pictures of illegal activities or anything like that. If you just use it as the simple social networking sites they are then you really have nothing to worry about.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spooky Fox Mulder

Everyone is afraid that the government has a national database with every detail about you on it. Actually, we created it for them and without a shred of work on their end!

Yes, you are right. The Facebook might be a governmental database.

But consider this: if you have nothing to hide, if you are thoroughly a good person, if you are nice to other people and if you have a clean criminal record - then being on Facebook should not be a problem.

Only when you do some shadow business, take part in criminal activities, etc - only then you should be worried that the governemt will start tracking you on Facebook.

But if you have nothing to hide, none of this should be a problem.

That would be true in a world in which only good and trustworthy people were in government and law enforcement. Wake up and smell the fascism.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by bricmpt
That would be true in a world in which only good and trustworthy people were in government and law enforcement. Wake up and smell the fascism.

I am one of the good and trustworthy people in government, my Dear.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
It's a ridiculous popularity contest. I don't think it's anything so sinister as a vast government conspiracy.

I have a facebook account. I'm not proud of it, but it's pretty low key. Minimal information about myself. Being 20, many of my peers rave about the greatness of facebook. I resisted it for a long time, but the urge to keep it touch with friends and family was too great to resist.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Gee, this thread has had a dramatic flip-flop since I visited it last several hours ago.

Suddenly the pro-facebook/myspace posts are flooding in

Undoubtedly genuine opinions of course

But a conspiracist might conclude that damage control just sprang into action

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock6
Gee, this thread has had a dramatic flip-flop since I visited it last several hours ago.

Suddenly the pro-facebook/myspace posts are flooding in

Undoubtedly genuine opinions of course

But a conspiracist might conclude that damage control just sprang into action

Are you suggesting that I'm COINTELPRO? LIBEL!!

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spooky Fox Mulder

OR...

If you post anti government material at a conspiracy forum

No but you do... your true identity and the impersonation of a federal agent...

They frown on that you know

I am one of the good and trustworthy people in government, my Dear.

Yeah a good and trustworthy TAXPAYER... government needs all those they can get... after all those secret programs are expensive

[edit on 28-9-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monger
Are you suggesting that I'm COINTELPRO? LIBEL!!

Are you?

And you can't sue an avatar

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I couldn't agree with you more. It's not only social network websites that put you vulnerable, I think potentially any personal information you put anywhere on the internet has the same consequences.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by dodgygeeza

I agree, I also think google is the same too. they got seed money from the CIA to start google.

Facebook and Myspace do sell your info to gov and colleges and even companies.

this is why they tell you to know that once info you put on the these websites it would not be private anymore.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   

I'm going to guess that most people here have a Facebook profile. A lot will potentially have every ounce of information that could possibly ever be needed to track you down and find out who/what is dear to you. After all its the "cool" thing to do now isn't it?

And now you know Rupert Murdoch paid millions of dollars for that site.

And no, you'd be wrong. I am not listed ANYWHERE on facebook.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 02:24 AM
link   

I would constantly warn my students not to use myspace or facebook, since employers routinely check such sites, when they receive an application from student graduates. The problem is that the student will never know that they were not considered for a job, because something that waved a red flag was in such a site, placed there by the student.

I have face book and myspace accounts to cover my fake persona's.

I only use one email account in my real name and that is with family.

Everything else on the Internet is a false persona that can not be traced back to me by anyone trying to do a employee background check, security check ETC.
Believe me after working as a federal security officer i know how the gov does background checks.

But they add lest get the right info on you most of the time.

Background checks by non gov employers are seldom as accurate.
but why make it easy for them.

Just try to look-up ANNED on google.

When i worked as a mine superintendent i had a PI do a background check on me as a test to see if i could trust the background checks they were doing.
they failed.

NAME "*************"
LOC "************"

PS one of my persona's is a really weird pervert. likes to wear diapers. LOL

[edit on 28-9-2008 by ANNED]

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
dude cookies tell everything about your surfing habbits, they are in windows and linux, and the governement records every url that gets visited from a US hub.

Facebook is the least of your worries.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I don't think facebook which serves as a social networking site is in any way a "government database". I personally think that view is silly. If they want a database on you, a good one, then they already have it. Not everyone has a facebook. The people you need to look out for are internet predators, not the government. It wasn't like the government was secretly conspiring for years and years to develop a networking site to watch the people and then suddenly...Facebook! Their [gov.] databases aren't "social networking" at all.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join