It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The governmental Database known as Facebook.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
It's pretty funny because all you have said here is that Facebook is a governmental database. As some other dude made the point of, they have more than enough records to track you down now, without Facebook, and people (including dominant groups) know that alter-egos are more common on the net than your true self, even if you've got a page with your name on it.

A few of my friends, for instance, say yes to every, single party they are invited to via Facebook. So, according to the government, my friends have been to about three parties every night for the last six months - bit inaccurate, considering one of them (the one that says she wants to go to the most parties) is still at school.

So Facebook knows my best friend is overseas at the moment. So does her travel agent, the airport, the airline, the other airport, her credit card holders and a million other paper trails.

I mean, if you really wanted to state that the government has a database on everyone, then analyse paper trails (something we willingly gave in to over many years), write a real paper about it, stick it in a journal, be credited. Stating that Facebook is the source of all evil when it comes to centralised governmental databases is not only an ignorant denial of the truth, that is, that we are already being followed by 'the government' in a million other ways, it is a simple cop-out stab at authority from a blogger with a grudge against authority who needs to form strange ideas about a social networking site being the center of the whole world's information on people in order to make sense of the world around him/her. Go do some real study. (Check my PS - I realised this of myself, too. Lots of people have issues with authority - deal with them before you look like a moron)

Anyway, back to the point, the funny thing is that you only say here that Facebook is a governmental database. No evidence, no links, not even any back-up claims. Just 'Facebook is a governmental database'.

What's WORSE than Facebook, I think, is that in order for Europe to even keep nuclear weapons (weapons that belong to America), they must give every ounce of their citizens information to the American government - THAT is iffy. Facebook is mostly just that - a face that people put on for the world, not reflective at all of that person. If you want to know someone, look up their paper trail. You will learn very little to nothing from a heavily moderated, alter-ego site.

It's called PARANOIA and it can take over. Not everyone is out to get you. Maybe Facebook isn't everyone's forte, no problems. I mean, I bet you saw that flash slide-show that everyone else on the net saw, about how that woman used to work for the government and then she bought Facebook or something - fact is, some dude from a college designed it, THAT is why so many people like it, because it's from the people, and it happens to work for the people. Regardless of who runs it now. It's a waste of valuable neuron connecting to even let the Facebook stigma cross your mind.

Welcome to the global village, you'd better get used to it (and apparently, you're not gonna like it).

P.S. I used to be a MASSIVE scout of Facebook's evil. For about two years there. Then I went and used my Facebook account and I realised how inaccurate of me this account actually was. How no one could possibly gather any real information off there, unless I was planning 'terrorist' networks. They really would need to check my paper trails to know me, which is what they do anyway. I just don't think that 'Andy couldn't have committed this murder because he was at 'SATURDAYZ @ DA BALLROOMZ' according to his Facebook' would stand in court. Just a hunch.

BTW I found this in your Terms and Conditions, maybe you should take your own advice - 'You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate'. I'd definitely categorise this blog under 'misleading', maybe even 'false' and 'inaccurate' for the lack of evidence.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by dodgygeeza

If you have a government issued ID, or ever paid taxes, or registered to vote, if you have a credit card, a library card. a blockbuster card an internet account, a cell phone etc. The governemt already knows everything about you anyway and facebook doesnt require you to put it any personal info it is optional.

I really wouldnt worry about facebook in the grand scheme.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Facebook Profiles Out Narcissists

www.livescience.com...

Facebook profiles can tell you more than just peoples' birthdays and what movies they like — they can reveal the self-adoring, a new study suggests.

Researchers at the University of Georgia gave personality questionnaires to nearly 130 Facebook users and analyzed the content of their online profiles. They also had untrained observers look at the profiles and rate how narcissistic, or excessively egotistical, the owners of the profiles were.

The results of the study are detailed in the October issue of the journal Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin.

The researchers found that the number of friends and wall posts (messages left by the owner of the profile or friends) that a person had on their profile correlated with how narcissistic they were. Study leader Laura Buffardi, a Ph.D. student in psychology, said this is similar to how narcissists behave in the real world, forming numerous but shallow relationships with others.

Narcissistic Facebook users were also more likely to have glamorous, self-promoting pictures for their main profile photo, while others tended to use snapshots, the study found. The untrained observers also noted the differences in photos and amount of social interaction.

"We found that people who are narcissistic use Facebook in a self-promoting way that can be identified by others," Buffardi said.

Narcissism hampers a person's ability to form healthy, long-term relationships, said study co-author W. Keith Campbell.

"Narcissists might initially be seen as charming, but they end up using people for their own advantage," Campbell said. "They hurt the people around them and they hurt themselves in the long run."

In the past, research has found that personal Web pages are more popular among narcissists, but this doesn't mean that all Facebook users are narcissists.

"Nearly all of our students use Facebook, and it seems to be a normal part of people's social interactions," Campbell said. "It just turns out that narcissists are using Facebook the same way they use their other relationships — for self-promotion with an emphasis on quantity over quality."

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Yep. I figured this out looong ago. What I did was slowly started removing my information so that when they did backups, they would slowly replace my real information with the fake information I was putting in. After a month or so , I closed the account. I will never be an active member of face book again!

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by drock905

Yet another perosn missing the point. Forget the government and think of ID theft. If you understood your system you would be far more fearful of giving out information so freely. ID thieves are becoming the growing criminal sector.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

There is an even bigger theft going on right now. It is the theft of Democracy in the US by Congress, with this "bailout"(translation-SELLOUT) that will be ramroded through Congress tomorrow. All dissent in the House has been silenced, and no real debate will be allowed. The MSM is going along with this scam, dutifully mimicking their masters' talking point tht the bill is NEEDED to avoid a disaster. The Bill ITSELF is the real DISASTER.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I dont think its something facebook users really have to worry about. i mean who really cares if they know were you live and what you like. What are they ganne do? Come kidnap you??

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I was seriously thinking tonight about adding a thread like this. It's so true.
I'm a university student in Canada, and there are some under-agers here in my residence. They got in trouble from our RA for posting pictures of themselves drinking, in residence... when he wasn't physically there to catch them. Needless to say, most of them have blocked him as a friend.

It just got me thinking about how I've heard countless times, about people who have gotten in trouble with the law about stuff that has been "incriminating" on facebook.

I don't know if it was intentionally developped fo spying, but it can definately be added to the ever-growing list as a means of control, and bring us one step closer to a police state...

GOOD POST OP!

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Clould be useful to them, but I think they have way more advanced ways to spy on us...

I personally use my facebook account mostly for conspiracy propaganda, trying to inform my ignorant friends as much as I can..

I am not afraid to present my ideals, conspiracy theories online along with my pictures, personal information and so on..

CHECK THIS OUT!!!!!!

In my country (croatia) high school kids throughout the country have used the facebook to organize a couple of huge protests with great success!!!!

Couldnt that adults and intellectuals cannot make better use of facebbok while high school kids managed to rewrite country's laws to benefit from them!!!

Their last protest was organized because schools dont have AC, and it was too hot for them to go to school!! So thanks to facebook, they organized protest, didnt go to school for one day and now the country made investment plans to put ACs in schools!!!

Thats what you get when you fight!!!

Kids are great examples in this case while the adults prefer to use facebook to flert, spy on each other, spread gossips...
shame...shame...

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
conspiracy thearey, when the govt gets hacked into by someone what is the outcome. we hire them. now what?

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
In my opinion, why would your information be so important to them? If anything it would be people trying to steal credit card numbers, etc. that I would be worried about. Don't you guys think the government has enough crap to deal with instead of looking at your facebook profile?

-No1169n

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I am not in Facebook nor any other social personal/friendship network. Not planning in next 70 years or so. Probably felt what it is from beginning.

I recommend to all of you who are considering to join in to Facebook or any other government database
Think Twice

Bless

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Man, I love ATS but sometimes you guys just go to far with this paranoid crap. sheeesh.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Facebook is not something you are forced to do, its just something losers need to do along with myspace to get e-friends because they're too fat and lazy to go for a walk and meet real people.
I highly doubt the government (or 'they' as some of the paranoid people here call them) are interested in keeping a database of what crappy band you like and what your cat is called.
Those that are paranoid of such rubbish have a simple option of closing their account, unlike on this site, hmmm.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I used to have a MySpace but got rid of it. Never even seen what a Facebook page looks like. I'm more than happy to steer clear of all that BS. Aside from the privacy issue, I despise the notion that someone can be conveniently summed up by a few pre-determined categories and photos, like some kind of neat consumer package. Facebook and MySpace have inevitably replaced a lot of real-life interaction. I like to think I've got a little more depth than can be assertained from a single generic web page but because of how ingrained Facebook and MySpace have become in youth culture, there's no way of avoiding being judged - at least partially - by the content on your page.

Yes, private information might be available to the Government/NWO elsewhere, but come on, let's not make it easy for them! The internet is a useful thing but we are still organic creatures and we shouldn't allow ourselves to be reduced to an easily-abused set of data bytes.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 05:29 AM
link   
i may be old fashioned though i dont understand the facination with face book. if i wanted to stay in touch with someone i'd call them, go around their house or email them. putting personal pics on a wesite is not my thing.....

regarding its a tool for tracking.....i beleive people are loosing annoniminity via their own doing.....the governments are alittle smarter than faceboook, myspace ectect

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Facebook, MySpace etc. are encouraged because they condition people (younger people most often) into surrendering their privacy.

It's then so much easier for governments to introduce ID cards, etc.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   
i really couldnt care less what the government sees from my profile. all theyll learn about me is what music and films i like as theyll already know where i work

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Gee, you folks sound a bit paranoid. I had to look up Facebook, cause I never heard of it. Don't get out of the cave much these days.
Not interesting imo

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
I agree with the ones saying this is too paranoid- c'mon they already have all the basic info they need for "tracking you".

I have a myspace profile and I couldn't care less if they are gonna check that and find out stuff- I mean what are they going to do??, come and hunt me? LOL

Besides I believe, their worries are about controlling the big mass of people- and eventually someone who is really "agitating" them to wake up- but not just demanding and talking about the truth- but the one who becomes a referent for the masses, a leader to follow and look up to. And someone in that position does not exists yet. In that case, it's probably better to keep anonymity.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join