It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

11 dead in soccer witchcraft riot

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   

11 dead in soccer witchcraft riot

www.abc.net.au

Eleven people have been killed in a stadium riot in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo after a soccer player tried to use witchcraft to win a local match, United Nations-backed Radio Okapi has reported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I have heard of drug cheats in sport but this is ridiculous!

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Well, maybe they really sucked and were just willing to try anything. I find it amazing that in this day and age there are people that still believe in such things to this degree.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by MorningStar8741
Well, maybe they really sucked and were just willing to try anything. I find it amazing that in this day and age there are people that still believe in such things to this degree.

Practitioners of witchcraft would probably say "I find it amazing that in this day and age there are people that still don't know or believe in the wisdom of old".

Don't assume you have it all figured out. No one does

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Denying Ignorance works wonders.. Really...... I could add something really mean here but hey.. TO Deny Ignorance is a science on this site apparently.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded

Denying Ignorance works wonders.. Really...... I could add something really mean here but hey.. TO Deny Ignorance is a science on this site apparently.

I am sorry but I cannot tell if you are being agreeable or derrisive?

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
well they say witchcraft only works if the person(s) the spell is being cast on believe it. it worked in this case, even though not in the intended way. it sure affected those guys. ooga booga! how silly

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   

i agree that it seems childish and irrational for people to believe in something as controversial as witchcraft. And your view is well placed and i can see some truth to your statement. I would like to put in, although i may be wrong, that there could be some substantial truth to their belief, and i believe that, although i have been wrong many times in the past, that witchcraft is one of many ways to unknown powers that are all but forgotten by our society today. I also believe that there are many false, corrupted ways of trying to control things, that not only do not work but are counter productive to our society, and therefore i thank you for pointing this specific detail out. i only hope that you can consider the idea of these peoples beliefs as having some core value or substantial merit. If i have done at least that then i have succeeded with this post.

Thank you for reading
Tankthinker

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Witchcraft?
Maybe it's something the next manager of Newcastle Utd should consider!

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reddupo
Practitioners of witchcraft would probably say "I find it amazing that in this day and age there are people that still don't know or believe in the wisdom of old".

Hawwwwwwwwwwwwwww haw haw haw!

No, you're right, it was majick!

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I thought Magic was a basketball player...

There will always be people who believe in witchcraft... unfortunately, it's the superstitious nature of the masses that causes it.

People will always want to believe that there's more to this world than can be tested and proven.

We see it in all cultures... in Voodoo, Witchcraft, and even Islam and Christianity.

Unfortunately, that which does not exist, cannot be directly dis-proven... it doesn't mean they have enough credibility to make them worthy of serious contemplation... it just means they have about as much credibility as the Easter bunny, Peter-Pan, or Tooth-fairy.
(I can't point at something that doesn't exist to claim it doesn't exist.)

But then again, I see all forms of religion in a rather satirical manor... so I suppose you might call me biased.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by tankthinker

I agree. It seems like it would be alot easier to just remote view what the outcome would be first.. That way you know whether or not you're wasting your time.. It's One idea. I have seen first-hand that witchcraft/wicca/spellcasting (whatever you choose to call it) can have very real, very obvious effects.

I practiced Wicca for 2 years and although I decided to move on, there is a very real aspect to what some people refer to as "witchcraft". I think the only reason people even call it witchcraft is because it is a broad term they can associate to many different religious and spiritual ideaologies when they really have no idea what they're talking about in the first place. I almost see it as a derogatory term designed to be used by people who don't even know what it really means.

If people actually studied and read up on Wicca (without practicing it), for example, people would realize that it isn't some kind of evil spell-casting voodoo practiced by teenaged goth-girl wannabes.. There WERE some nutty people I ran across who studied and practiced Wicca but there are some pretty nutty Christians I've met over the years too
!! That really can't be avoided no matter what spiritual philosophy you're talking about though..

Witchcraft is a silly term to most people because of what it implies, not because of what it actually means. And what people THINK it means draws up negative images and negative emotions.. For many reasons (obviously).

-ChriS

[edit on 16-9-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
There will always be people who believe in witchcraft...

Yes. Including our leaders.

I find it amazing that people still believe they engage in occult practises "to wind down" and "for fun".

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin

Hawwwwwwwwwwwwwww haw haw haw!

No, you're right, it was majick!

I'm not saying it was. I am saying down with arrogance. History is full of discoveries that people did not even imagine before they made. We do not know what wonders the universe holds, there might be some lost truths within the practice of alchemy, witchcraft, magick, .ect. Who knows? What makes you think you know so much? Because you've never read a news article about it happening?

We are in a culture that puts emphasis on the physical world. Some cultures, such as Indigenous Tribes who practice shamanism put emphasis on the non physical spiritual realm. Both cultures would see eachothers views as "less than desirable". I can tell you right now though that we can agree that one is more abrasive and destructive to the planet and the people.

When I see arrogance it shows me that really we're all just monkeys with an extra layer of brain.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Really? Seriously? Magic is not like UFOs and bigfoot. If it actually exsists, someone who can perform it need only step forward and do so. I will wait right here.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Really? Seriously? Magic is not like UFOs and bigfoot. If it actually exsists, someone who can perform it need only step forward and do so. I will wait right here.

If only things were so black and white. If a person casts a good fortune and luck enchantment on themselves and that day finds a 20 dollar bill laying on the ground, is that confirmation bias or magic? Who knows? Like a poster said above these things cannot be proven or disproven.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   

I'm not saying it was. I am saying down with arrogance. History is full of discoveries that people did not even imagine before they made. We do not know what wonders the universe holds, there might be some lost truths within the practice of alchemy, witchcraft, magick, .ect. Who knows? What makes you think you know so much? Because you've never read a news article about it happening?

No, I'm saying it was not magic because ancient knowledge is not lost - it is simply reinvented as science, for that's all magic was, or ever will be.

However, you carry on believing we don't know what we're doing, even though the LHC will be primed to discover the Higgs boson in a few months. But yeah, we don't know anything about anything, right?

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Reddupo

Actually, in order for me to believe in it, it has to be proven. There are plenty of good days and bad days and I doubt anyone dedicates 24hrs a day to cursing and blessing me. How can you say you are certain there is magic with absoloutely nothing to base that belief on? Nothing!

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   

reply to post by Reddupo

How can you say you are certain there is magic with absoloutely nothing to base that belief on? Nothing!

I am not saying that at all. I am saying there are certain topics like this which NO ONE can be certain. I haven't even formulated my personal belief on this. It just needs to be known that a believer has no way proving it is true, a non believer has no way of proving it is not true. Thus there is no reason for arrogance as both sides have the same weight.

Actually, in order for me to believe in it, it has to be proven.

Pick someone you love. PROVE you love them. Somethings are not tangible and cannot be subject to the standard means of evidence.

Originally posted by C.C.BenjaminHowever, you carry on believing we don't know what we're doing, even though the LHC will be primed to discover the Higgs boson in a few months. But yeah, we don't know anything about anything, right?

You're arguing my statement of we don't know everything (not anything) with a theoretical particle that may or may not be discovered?

[edit on 16-9-2008 by Reddupo]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join