It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goodbye all, LHC going live tomorrow

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
does anyone know where to see this thing live? I heard there was going to be a webcast.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Appears they have changed the Time again

LHC First Beam - 10th September 2008 - 9am CEST (GMT+2)

I guess that's 20 minutes from now unless they delay it again.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
An hour, actually. 9 am will be midnight on the west coast of north america.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
We are going to have to deal with one of these kins of threads about once a week until the LHC does come online, followed by every little shake or twitch the Earth gives afterwards being blamed on the LHC and a sign of DOOM! or soemthing.
Upshot is, it'll probably replace HAARP as a >blame everything on this device< on the threads here. Followed by a few decades of random LHC is actually a weapon threads, something is being hidden, ect.
Though to cap it off, for me, will be when past 2012, the LHC will be credited for having prevented nibiru's disaterous return.
At which point, I hope someone digs up my post and quotes it.
(RS TOTALLY CALLED IT!)
I will probably be dead from intense liver failure, just from being to close to to many people who drink.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Umm didnt you hear?
We are all dead.
Deal with it.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Well I make it 7 GMT now so I guess +2 it should be now.

Unless I'm reading it wrong of course
Definitely 7 GMT now though I'm on GMT time.

Still here that's a good start anyway.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Seems like a lot of bother and expense for a little tiny black hole. A giant toy. And when they make a little one... what then?.. Gotta make a bigger one. and a bigger one.
Fireworks, guns, cannons, missiles, rocket ships.
People have been crying wolf on the endtimes for so long now, how can we take any of it seriously? I can't. I didn't buy supplies in 1999, and I am not buying supplies now. And especially not in 2012.
Someone may be right, but we will never know.... it's time to accept that.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

Well, see, they're not trying to make a black hole, they are trying to get a understanding of what whent on at the Big bang. the idea being, you understand the beginning, you can make a bit more sense out of what's going on now, stars, galaxies, ect.
Few folks have said quiet possibly the best thing that'll happen is that thye find something that'll make them turn science on the side, and erase the chalkboard agin.
(For those of you that say science rejects change.)
The tiny black hole bit is a theroy. However, with that theory, is that if the LHC does produce the miny Black Holes, then they are naturally forming in the atmosphere, due to pretty much the same proccess.
LHC will replicate the proccess, while removing variables until introduced.
The things we could learn possibly could change our status from teenage parasite to succesful kid who looks after his/her mother.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

Yes it's not a toy.

If they get something good out of this experiment, it could possibly change life as we know it.

Because our understanding of science could all change and it's possible that this change will bring in new inventions, theories and ideas to the world. Who knows, time will tell.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hardee
Well I didn't think I would be here saying this. As you all know the LHC goes live tomorrow at 8.30am my time and there's little we can do to stop it.

I'd just like to say, as a heartfelt person - in December 2007 I had a severe case of depression and a failed attempt at suicide which took me as low as one can. Thankfully in the last eight months I managed to recover and I managed to make those days the best of my life, I tried to treat every day like my last. But alas I am so sorry this had to happen. I hope whatever it in the next life, I can lead a happier one.

I am so sorry all our lives have to end, people playing with science was not meant to happen. The big bang will destroy what I believe is a freak planet, one where life is able to go on with the conditions exactly right for animal life. Us as humans had to destroy it, and for that we must pay the ultimate price.

?...these particles crash into each other all the time...we just cant take photos of them in the atmosphere...thats why we need this machine..to make them crash into each other in an exact place were we have placed 'cameras' to take images of what happens....

theres nothing happening in this machine that doesnt happen every day many many times....

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Your gloom and doom theories are based on what? Why should I buy that we are doomed based on your post, versus the collective brilliant scientific minds at CERN, who say there is nothing to worry about?

I think it's going to be just fine. Leading scientific research doesn't equal doom. Don't let ignorance frighten you into thinking the end of the world is neigh. It's gonna be fine.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Ok Radio 4 just said it's an hour away from now I'm giving up trying to track when now.

I know nothing disastrous will happen today anyway I was just hoping the thing broke down on the webcast

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teknikal

I know nothing disastrous will happen today

england are playing croatia....so it might.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Everyone should know that they are only sending particles
around as a test today ,"Not to Collide them",that won't happen for some weeks. So take it easy,and everyone keep cool.news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 10-9-2008 by tarifa37]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider
reply to post by seagrass

Well, see, they're not trying to make a black hole, they are trying to get a understanding of what whent on at the Big bang. the idea being, you understand the beginning, you can make a bit more sense out of what's going on now, stars, galaxies, ect.
Few folks have said quiet possibly the best thing that'll happen is that thye find something that'll make them turn science on the side, and erase the chalkboard agin.
(For those of you that say science rejects change.)
The tiny black hole bit is a theroy. However, with that theory, is that if the LHC does produce the miny Black Holes, then they are naturally forming in the atmosphere, due to pretty much the same proccess.
LHC will replicate the proccess, while removing variables until introduced.
The things we could learn possibly could change our status from teenage parasite to succesful kid who looks after his/her mother.
could. that is the part that scares me.. but I am not watching the clock about it. I hope they all know what they are doing, because I will never understand it. I dropped out of chemistry, and physics was not an option, I took geology instead.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Yeah, I'm in Australia and they're saying 5.30pm our time.

Not sure how many hours ahead of US time we are?

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hardee
I am so sorry all our lives have to end, people playing with science was not meant to happen. The big bang will destroy what I believe is a freak planet, one where life is able to go on with the conditions exactly right for animal life. Us as humans had to destroy it, and for that we must pay the ultimate price.

Hopefully when this is turned on in arpund half an hours time you will look back and have a laugh about how wrong you and some others were about this

Head up mate

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by SolReka

Of all those senerios, the only one that would ever make it to the public would be the oops black hole destroys world.

The others would not be disclosed I'm betting

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
For your edification and viewing pleasure:

Large Hadron Rap (LHR)

There's nothing to worry about, as others have mentioned. They are basically just smashing together atoms to tear them up and see what's inside. I have only a basic understanding of what they are doing, but from what I can tell it's all very standard physics. I don't know how the media managed to blow this up into a big spook story about the apocalypse, while simultaneously marginalizing all other science-related news as they do every day.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Yeah, usually I'm pretty mellow about upcoming technology, but this one, the more I read about it and the possibilities, shucking the DOOM! stuff of course, the more excited I get about it.
This'll be launching a rocket, getting to the moon, one more step till we get there sort of thing.
Seabass, keep in mind thayt the idea is based on a theory, that is based on a theory. it's possible, but if it does happen, it coninuosly happens in our atmosphere as well. And, since i'm still here probably, I'm going to say it's not a huge threat.
As for figuring it out, you'd be amazed how simple things get when you explain to someone to dumb it down enough. (Speaking for myself here, I've known some very patient people, and i'm pretty sure i've still got it wrong.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join