It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Static Sky's Cipher Game

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Hi everybody. I'm creating this thread as an ongoing cipher solving game. I've been corresponding with the Mods to get the game backed by them, in order to give prize points to the first successful solver of each cipher to post the correct solution in the thread. I'll be using a wide range of code types. Some will be pretty simple and some will be very hard. I'll be entering new ones periodically and without warning. So if you're into this kind of game, you'll want to keep an eye on this thread for new ciphers.

You are allowed to work together but it's a bit of a gamble because points will not be shared. Only the first member to post the correct answer on this thread, will get paid the points. If you decide to team up with another member and alternate who gets to collect the points, you may wish to use U2U's to keep it between yourselves. I have no problem with this but the rules remain the same.

-All ciphers I post to be solved, will start with a 500 point prize. The prize on each cipher will increase by 100 points for every day (full 24 hour period, not by date), until it is solved (correctly posted on this thread).

-As I said, only the first member to correctly post the answer on the thread will get the points. Individual prizes can not be shared.

-Please do not post your own ciphers on this thread, as they will not be backed by points and will likely be removed.

-There may be more than one active cipher running at a time. The same rules apply to each of them.

-Please do not U2U me for hints. I will not respond. If I decide to give a hint, I will only do so on this thread, as to be fair to all players.

-Mods/Supermods, etc, are welcome to play. I am the only one who has the cipher key and solution beforehand.

-Any discrepancies will be solved by me, to the best of my ability, in the interests of fairness. I may ask for Mod assistance as I see fit.

-Have fun, be nice and check in often. I hope you enjoy the game.

Please understand, this will be a learning process for me as well. It's hard to guage how hard the members will find each cipher, so I think the accumulative point system will decide it best. That's all for now. I'll post more instructions, clues and rule clarifications or changes as the need arises.

Thank you. I really hope this turns out to be as fun as I think it will be. The first cipher will be posted sometime later today. Just so you know, I'm in western Canada, on Mountain Time. Good luck to all and have fun!

-Static Sky

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Looks great, Static Sky...

This should be kind of fun..

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Awesome. Thanks MemoryShock. I'll definitely get the ball rolling sometime later today. Game on everybody!

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Alright. The first cipher. It's not too crazy. I'm going to simply call it "Alpha". I don't expect it to last very long but we'll see.

ALPHA

KILTIVHH ZH HFXS
RH YVHG NVZHFIVW
YB KVIHKVXGREV DSVIV

IVUOVXGRLMH LU GSV KZHG
YVGIZB GSV WRHGZMXV
UILN GSVIV GL SVIV

Best of luck, everyone. As of now, this one is worth 500 points and counting.

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
You'll notice that in the Alpha Cipher, I've given spaces in the sentances and even differentiated between the two paragraphs or verses for you. I won't always be so kind.

[edit on 9/8/2008 by Static Sky]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Yea I never knew you could give points out or something like that..

anyways this is what the cypher reads from my end, but for the puzzle of words I have to think for a while

PROGRESS AS SUCH
IS BEST MEASURED
BY PERSPECTIVE WHERE

REFLECTIONS OF THE PAST
BETRAY THE DISTANCE
FROM THERE TO HERE

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
The points wil be administered by a super mod...

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
o serious, I have been out of BTS too long I never this was happening an such. Very Good indeed....

well MS what do you think about the clues?

I mean I am thinking of a car mirror, Objects are closer than they appear.. i have no idea

[edit on 8-9-2008 by ragster]

posted on Sep, 8 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I'm actually unclear on whether or not the intention was to create a riddle out of the words. I think they are just good points of ponderance. I could be wrong...

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Well done, Ragster. I'm not suprised you nailed it pretty easily. There is no deeper meaning. No riddle to Alpha. As I said, I'm learning here, too. The first few are sort of a test. I'm trying to see what's hard and what's easy for those who will try to solve the puzzles I post. I will weave it all into a greater riddle once I think I can see the solvers limits.

As MemoryShock said, the points will be awarded by a Supermod. They've been won by you now. But just for the benefit of anyone who was working on it, (as well as for my own knowledge), can you please tell me the key you used to solve it? How did you crack it? Though I admit it was pretty basic. I ask this in the hopes of being able to properly challenge you in the future.

Well done all the same.

I'll try to post a new cipher sometime tomorrow. Work is busy so likely in the evening. Be well.

-Static Sky

[edit on 9/9/2008 by Static Sky]

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

And you're of course, exactly right MemoryShock. Just a little something I came up with to offer as a cipher solution and nothing more. A mild allusion to a mirror to reflect the nature of the key to the Alpha cipher. I'll let Ragster have time to show you the mirrored alphabet I used to encrypt this, if he would. I'll show the simple technique I used for it, if he doesn't. But judging by the lack of time it took him to crack it, I think he'll have an easy time showing how I/he did it.

Again, well done, Ragster!

And a HUGE thanks to MemoryShock for helping me get this thread approved by the staff. (This is how I'm able to offer point prizes, just so everybody knows). Peace.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
unlike the great minds of the ATS game that just finished I often had a hard time cracking these codes, they were shifting or had to do with a keyboard, but when it came to codes like this, simple decryption programs do the trick in split seconds... i admit it takes the fun out of it... but yea, i am nothing special...

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
***PLEASE NOTE; NEW RULES BEING ADDED HERE.***

reply to post by ragster

I must admit, I'm a little disappointed that you used software to solve it. But in fairness, I didn't say you couldn't so you still deserve the points for that one. (Not to mention your honesty. I thank you for that, very much). And I did say this would be a learning process for me, too. Which brings us to our first rule update....

***Please do not use software to solve these. It's a lot more fun (and fair for all players), to work through them rather than punch them into a program and wait for a solution.

***From this point forward, I request that all solutions be accompanied by proof of your work, in solving them. We'd like to see how you got your answers, or at least the key I used to write the cipher. (It also helps to prove you did it on your own). I think that if you really work your way through it, the 'key' to solving it should be easy to discern. For an example, I'll show the key for 'Alpha', in a following post, later this evening.

I still will be adding a new cipher to this thread in maybe 3-5 hours time, from this post. As an added interest to me now, if anyone who has crypto-solving software hooked up would like to run this code, I'd love to hear if it can crack it or not. Please inform me via U2U, or a simple post on the thread that sais something like, "My program cracked it, no problem", or "Ran it on my program and nothing." Please don't spoil it for those who really like doing these sorts of puzzles, so no solutions without the 'key', or shotgun demonstrations of how you managed to bust it. Much appreciated.

-Static Sky

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Okay. So the origional 'alpha' cipher looked like this.

Originally posted by Static Sky
ALPHA
KILTIVHH ZH HFXS
RH YVHG NVZHFIVW
YB KVIHKVXGREV DSVIV

IVUOVXGRLMH LU GSV KZHG
YVGIZB GSV WRHGZMXV
UILN GSVIV GL SVIV

In the second group of letters, you may notice GSV stands out. Third group in the first line, second group in the second line and 3 of 5 letters in the second group on the third line. This is a 'tell'. A group of letters that all but insist that this is a 'substitution' code. A 3 letter word that's used in 2 sentances and also serves as a half of another word. So we think....and?....but?....who?....can?....the?....

Can't think of too many words that are 5 letters long and start with 'and', and have the 5th and last letter in the word repeating what the 3rd letter was. (As you'll notice 'V' is the 3rd and also the 5th of 5 letters in the word in the origional cipher). Doesn't seem to wotk for 'but' either. Nor 'who'. 'Can' could then only be 'canon'. But 'the', could be 'there', 'these' or 'theme'. My money is on 'the'. So we know 3 letters and some sentence structure. It does unravel from there.

This example is the 'brute force' or 'shotgun' technique. Finding the 'Key' I used to write this. You would get it through successfully solving it through the shotgun method or by luckily guessing (read: trial and error). If you charted the substitution letters, you would be able to work it out to this....

A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M,
Z, Y, X, W, V, U, T, S, R, Q, P, O, N (This is the 'Key' to the 'alpha' cipher).

Each letter in the top row is the substitution for the letter right under it, in the bottom row, and vice versa. Using the alphabet like a mirror, you see? This is why the allusion to a mirror. anyways, pretty simple, right? 1 is subbed for 26, 2 for 25, 3 for 24 and so on.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Alright. Now for my new cipher. I'll call it 'Jester's Tester', or 'The JT Cipher', since I like the little 'smiley' they offer that I'm going to use at the end of each new cipher I post.

Jester's Tester

EoAeTrEtIeEhTnNsVoGtIiOkSoWkUo.T.wRnEuIyDnMhSuIyIgGiHtThMnIaTlK.t.S

I would like to know if code solving programs can solve it, so if you can find out, please let me know without killing the game. Thanks much. As of now, this cipher is worth 500 points and counting.

-Static Sky

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
As of about 20 minutes ago, 'Jester's Tester' is worth 600 points and counting. And I'll likely be posting another sometime over the weekend. Cheers.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
As of about 40 minutes ago, we're at 700 points and counting.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
In just a few minutes, "Jester's Tester" will be worth 800 points and counting. Does anybody want them? It's really not a very tough one, honest.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Awesome idea Static!!! I love trying to solve puzzles. Now im off to figure out this JT one. Hopefully I can get it before anyone else.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

I'm really glad to hear you're on board, QBSneak! Thanks for your time. I'm not sure how many others are after it right now but you've got a real chance here. I was starting to think nobody really cared for this sort of thing. (So thanks for the quick shout out to let me know you're on it, too). I mean, the mods are backing it and my buddy, MemoryShock is helping me ensure everything's on the level, so the points are real and so is my interest to keep it going. I just hope it takes off.

I also plan on adding another cipher tomorrow sometime. But "JT's" at 800 and goes to 900 points, in about 6 hours time. Anyways, thank you very much for your interest and, best of luck. (Clicked you onto my friends list, too. I hope you'll do the same). Be well.

-Static Sky

Also, I notice I've been flagged again for this thread. If that was you, thank you very much my friend.

[edit on 9/13/2008 by Static Sky]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join