It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sudden death after arrest may be new syndrome

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Sudden death after arrest may be new syndrome

news.yahoo.com

MUNICH (Reuters) - Young men who die suddenly after being arrested by the police may be victims of a new syndrome similar to one that kills some wild animals when they are captured, Spanish researchers said on Tuesday.

Manuel Martinez Selles of Madrid's Hospital Gregorio Maranon reached the conclusion after investigating 60 cases of sudden unexplained deaths in Spain following police detention.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Only sudden deaths with no clear causes were included and autopsy reports were checked to exclude the possibility of mistreatment or past serious medical conditions

I wonder if they included being hit with a tazer as a "clear cause" or if they ruled that as just part of being arrested? I also wonder if this will lead to a change in policy, with "scientists" suggesting suspects be tranquilized before the cuffs are slapped onto them.

Imagine cops in Spain running around with mini blow dart guns... "Excuse me sir, I just need to check your-" PFFT!" "Hey, what hit me in the neck you bast...." -suspect slumps down into heap on sidewalk- "OK, cuff 'im!" Heck, they might even be able to get sponsorship, Mutual of Omaha presents COPS narrated by Marlon Perkins.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

The post was very interesting. The comment was pure genius, glad to see the site has a sense of humour. Great post.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

60 cases of sudden unexplained deaths????

I would be more inclined to believe a syringe full of potassium chloride than death due to stress.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Thank you for that. I rolled laughing at your imaginative post. I have never heard of people dying from the shock of arrest, but I suppose if you are sooooooo guilty that your system cant handle it..."gaahh" overload.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
The American police are going to be all over this, they can call it Sudden Terrorist Death Syndrome. That way the persons death can be used as proof of them being terrorists and not worthy of public sympathy.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Actually if you read throught the article

Catecholaines (like adrenenalin) can cause problems at higher levels. This (again as the article states) scenario is also found with trapped wild animals. They begin to produce an overdose of the chemical and die from it.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Then, why is it that this is new???
Germany is known for it's police-state tactics!
Spain probably has a patriota activa dos!

[edit on 2-9-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
Then, why is it that this is new???
Germany is known for it's police-state tactics!

Its NOT new. But now they seem to have found the cause for the sudden death issue

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Alright, how many of these have you heard of in the U.S.?
Usually it's that the inmate hung himself with his shoelaces!

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Ok, now for some reason I can't understand this, but I thought that's what going into shock was????

Also the thought of someone going into shock after being arrested only strikes me as a possibility if they were on something, and probably a good bit of that something

Seriously though, adrenaline levels being high and sudden death sounds like someone who went into shock to me. Which is usually caused by sudden trauma, like being stabbed in the guts with a 7 inch knife >.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Excessive tasering could be another cause for increased adrenalin...

Until the Police State started kicking up a few more notches, you never really heard of this, did you?

Even just the thought of being arrested nowadays, knowing how brutal the police are getting, could be enough to cause the same thing...

Is everybody thinking now?

[edit on 2-9-2008 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Having been locked up I can tell you from personal experience that "something" does happen. It is not a something that can be easily described though. And I'm not talking about a few hours in the drunk tank at your local station here either. I mean when you are stripped, given a jumpsuit and locked in your cell not knowing how long you will be there. I never had any fear of it beforehand, like most people have. But I can tell you that a little piece of me died that day when the cell door slammed shut. But I guess you really would have to be there to understand. Like trying to explain to someone what it is like to be robbed at gunpoint, shot at, to serve in the military, etc.

(By the way, I was found not-guilty at trial and freed.)

EDIT to add: And YES, this will be all the rage here in the States with the police. Now they won't even have to stage a suicide.

[edit on 9/2/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
In my opinion, large scale/heavy weight attention needs to be used to force this issue into the public eye.

If the Medical Community were to 'inject' (pun intended) this new 'doctrine' into the legal mainstream; we will have dropped yet another notch in legal standing.

It may be true that animals are prone to paralytic terminal shock.

However the word "Sudden" is being misused in the phrase "sudden unexplained deaths". The 'sudden' applies to the 'sudden' appearance of this phrase in our vernacular (because it is 'suddenly' an unsettling recurring result of some citizens' encounters with police authority.)

You may not remember the phrase "Excited Delirium", which was the 'state' many dead people were said to be in, when they had been recently 'Tazed.' The Medical Community 'rejected' the concept of such a 'state' in the late 19th Century (when it was first contrived as a possible reason someone would just 'up and die.') However, the Police-minded re-invoked it as a 'viable' defense to these inexcusable occurrences of death-by-arrest. Rather than address the issue of the behavior of the Police, the sought legal shelter. It eventually failed. The Police were not held liable, but the Tazer manufacturers were. They lost millions.

The Police-minded are quite adept at recovering from their last crushing defeat in court. There changing the angle to have the deaths considered natural phenomenon, thus offering them 'reasonable' relief of liability.

This is a bad thing.

The fact that we never had to suffer such tragedy frequently enough to have liability be an issue is testimony enough that the art of 'Policing' is devolving somehow.

For more "Tazer" related info see A Debate: The Taser, Should It Be Banned?

[edit on 2-9-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
It makes sense to me, some people experience way more stress than others. I wonder if any of them had served in the military, or been abused, been in any previous situation that would have caused them to have PTSS, which would account for such a high level of stress under duress.

I'm curious about something though. Was the study based on men because it doesn't happen to women, or because they don't think it happens to women ? Ok something else, if it only happens to men, or more frequently to men, why is that ?

Yep the cops over here will have a field day with those findings, if true. They can do all kinds of things to people that intensify stress levels and get away with any deaths resulting from poor treatment being considered as just another sudden death case.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I've heard of this before...In old medical studies...I think they call it copsbeatyaitis. Which similar to copstazeyaitis..Which has the following symptoms when over used by irresponsible idiots with badges:

Death, severe death, and more severe death...May also cause death.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
I've heard of this before...In old medical studies...I think they call it copsbeatyaitis. Which similar to copstazeyaitis..Which has the following symptoms when over used by irresponsible idiots with badges:

Death, severe death, and more severe death...May also cause death.

Don't forget the equally omnipresent 'Death by restraint' - it also happens way more than it should.

posted on Sep, 2 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

And one more point I would like to add to my previous post. Maybe the police should stop and think twice before they even arrest anyone. I don't think they have any idea how traumatic it can be for someone who has led a sheltered or innocent life, like your average sheeple.

I am reminded of the video where the woman was strip-searched and left naked in a cold cell. I don't think those cops really have any idea what they did to this poor woman.

(This video is not suitable for minors.)
www.youtube.com...

After something like this, it would not have surprised me at all if this woman actually did commit suicide. Or that her own mind might do it for her, creating another one of these "unexplained" deaths as the result of sever mental trauma.

As a side note, I am also reminded of something I once heard about people who jump/fall off of a building or a bridge. I heard that they actually die before they hit the water/pavement.

[edit on 9/3/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Listen closely.

Young, healthy males do not just keel over dead without a PHYSICAL cause. Any doctor will tell you that.

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
This "syndrome" could possibly be brought into attention, because the numbers could be increasing "in the near future" and they don't want us to fear the deaths. Sounds like "the syndrome(or cover up excuse)" could be used against us. The masses will believe the experts. It could be a possible NWO tool.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join