It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gustav strengthened to a Category 5 Hurricane(Current sustained winds 150mph)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
im wondering what the katrina speculation is on this.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Michael Pait

What do you mean, exactly? I guess I am trying to find out a bit more about your question to see if I can give my 2 cent opinion.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mtmouse32

I have been following along at a discussion board populated by professional and hobbyist meteorologists, and they have been having a pretty informed discussion about this storm. You can find them at www.easternuswx.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Shallower waters are usually warmer. Not always, but most of the time. Less water depth for the sun to heat.

[quote The waters are shallower and cooler near the coast, so he's going to lose strength once he's closer to landfall.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
So it's already getting past Cuba and still Cat. 4. So will it probably strengthen now since the waters are shallower & warmer?

In this CNN report the mayor is calling this the "storm of the century". I thought Katrina took that title.
www.cnn.com...

I hope it doesn't hit New Orleans because the Economic repercussions will be huge. Oil prices will surge (when they're supposed to fall after labor day) and not to mention damage could be catastrophic, why even rebuild.

[edit on 30-8-2008 by asmall89]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by mtmouse32

What do you mean, exactly? I guess I am trying to find out a bit more about your question to see if I can give my 2 cent opinion.

A lot of ppl forget katrina came ashore as a Category 3.

en.wikipedia.org...

If this thing comes ashore as a Category 4 it will be worse than
Katrina, or if it slows down and stalls over New Orleans.

Also New Orleans was hit by the left side of the storm where
the winds are heading back out to Sea.

The right side as they are coming ashore are a lot worse, and
the sotrm surge is highest there.

If it hit just West of New Orleans as Cat 4 or higher, you might see
the river dikes fail, and if the entire Mississippi river comes rolling
through there, words will not even suffice to explain the disaster.

This image best explains just how bad of shape they are caught
between the giant lake and the giant river.

Katrina was not worst case by far.

If something like the Hurricane Wilma or Gilbert comes ashore,
I don't know if they could rebuild the city.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

I meant to post this as the image, my apologies.

en.wikipedia.org...:New_Orleans_Levee_System.svg

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by mtmouse32

were are they gonna relocate all those people

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I don't know what to say, anymore.

It tore my heart out, three years ago, to see what happened.

Looks like Cuba took a hard hit too....wonder how they are coping?

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Category 4... Category 5.... Category this or that.

You know what Category this hurricane really is?

Category "Duuuuck!"

It really doesn't matter what the talking heads from the various alphabet soup agencies are calling it. It's a huge storm, and a huge threat, and anyone in its path would do well to get out of its path.

Let's all hope that everyone in danger is willing and able to find safety this time, so we don't have a repeat of the Katrina disaster.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation
Category "Duuuuck!"

A few minutes ago on the news here in Vegas they say the storm will be bigger than Katrina and is heading for New Orleans. They are loading buses right now and in the morning will shut down inbound hyways and use all 8 lanes to evacuate...

For anyone who actually cares about the people that live between Gustav and Hanna with Invest close behind....

One thing about my research is I have a huge database at hand of satellites to tune in on

You can track them live here

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

Gustav
www.ssd.noaa.gov...

Hanna
www.ssd.noaa.gov...

Invest
www.ssd.noaa.gov...

What happened a few minutes ago was weird as the Beast formed to Devour the Keys...

Its live right right now but will refresh later so I did a screen capture as well

Live
www.goes.noaa.gov...

Hanna with a Mean Streak following behind Gustav

This is going to be a triple whammy...

Anyone thinks its funny needs to be transported right into the heart of it

[edit on 31-8-2008 by zorgon]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Shallower waters are usually warmer. Not always, but most of the time. Less water depth for the sun to heat.

The Loop Current (and a free floating eddy or two) changes things. The waters near the northern Gulf coast are cooler than the deep waters within the L.C. and its eddies.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Oh, its funny alright, funny as in suspicious.

What are they on, the 19.5? Look for pentagonal and hexagonal patterns in the eye too...

And fill up on gas! The big four will use this as an excuse to spike prices around $5.00/gallon!

Hey, its going to be the GOP legacy, so there might be a silver lining after all!

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
WOW...Gustav sure did look ferocious as it ripping through the communities of Jamaica...OH MY GOSH!

Linky

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I believe I stumbled over a prediction once on the web that was given after Katerina saying that there will be a second hurrican hitting New Orleans and that one will be stronger before other importand world events happen. But I can not remember where I read that prediciton anymore.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by g210b

Yeah. I stumbled upon an elderly gentleman who apparently knew a great deal about Scriptural prophecy. I probably couldn't find him again if my life depended on it, because it was at JackintheBox.

Let me rephrase that, to read from elderly gentleman to old homeless black man no one would give the time of day to. This seemingly worthless piece of human garbage as labeled by our society in reality is carrying the keys to understanding the mysteries as preserved in the most holy Christian text, so I gave him about an hour and we sat down to a lively discussion of current events.

And he said, everything this administration has been doing, has already been predicted, down to the very detail of the words used, and all this mess will come out between September 22 and October 4th. I tell you, this rang a bell, and I am not easily given to end-o-world scenarios.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I just wanted to post this Infrared satellite view of the Hurricane. I've watched a lot of hurricanes move across the gulf but I've never seen one move as fast as this. This is a 5 hour time loop from around 5:30AM this morning. Wunderground

I hope they're not going to get caught out by how fast this thing is moving now, they might not have enough time to get everyone evacuated.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I have been hearing lately that these planes (jets) that has been spraying constantly, I think it was called "cloud seeding", and I have heard before that in weather modification, they are able to stop rain, make it rain, cause fronts etc... If this is TRUE, WHY won't they try to calm down these HUGE hurricanes? When a tropical storm just forms, why not try to 'seed the clouds' and try to disable it some? I'm sure they know how to do things like that. I just was wondering why they don't try to lessen these category 3,4,5 hurricanes . I never hear of anyone even trying to. I realize this might be considered a stupid question but if they do know how and don't do anything, well, you know what that makes them look like.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   

In the US, the city of New Orleans has begun enforcing a mandatory evacuation order for coastal districts, or parishes, Emergency officials have warned people in vulnerable areas not to try and ride out the storm.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Mandatory evacuation in New Orleans. Man this is gonna be massive

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join