It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gustav strengthened to a Category 5 Hurricane(Current sustained winds 150mph)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I'm all the way in Orlando and we're already feeling the effects of the feeder bands. It's been raining like hell since noon. For all those living in Loiusiana and Texas, don't trust FEMA, play it smart and start making the proper preparations.

Seems like Gustav will be another one that'll go down in the record books..

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by chips

I don't recall hearing Ray Nagin say that, but I am going to hope that he didn't add at the end at least.

Category Five is as high as they go. :shk:

Please Lord tell me that he isn't already gonna go batty on us, he needs to wait until after this passes through and then he can go to Bedlam for all I care.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

Heh, yeah, he said it was set to be a category five at least - but that it could get worse (although that's technically impossible!) He then said everyone should leave the city.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
The Director of the NHC said it was a Cat 5 and a special advisory should be given by the NHC within the hour. Its not my fault that some news agencies are slower than the local news in Louisiana.

[edit on 30/8/08 by MikeboydUS]

Recon is flying in now, so we'll get good wind readings shortly to confirm/deny. Early extrapolated pressure is down again.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by chips

Well, it could be worse, but for us peons - Cat 5 is the highest ... doesn't mean wind speeds, pressure, etc can't be worse. ( As a Cat 5 is wind speeds higher than ... )

Maybe with all these storms, they should be funny and make a Cat 6 and 7 just for grins and giggles. Then the news can say "The first Cat 6 storm hits mainland ..."

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I am amazed at the US Air force. I was stationed at Keesler for tech school and the C130's ther are Hurricane hunters. They leave a perfectly good warm building and fly right into the middle of a hurricane to find out more about it. Don't get me wrong, I am glad they do it, but that ranks right up there with jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.

I hope everyone gets out and is safe. You can always get more stuff, it takes a long time to build a new person. We are still working on sheep.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Per the recon flight as of about 10 minutes ago:
128kt sustained = 148mph. He's close to cat 5, but not officially there yet.

5pm update will tell more. He's about to cross Cuba, so intensification may be delayed until he's back over water.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   

They leave a perfectly good warm building and fly right into the middle of a hurricane to find out more about it. Don't get me wrong, I am glad they do it, but that ranks right up there with jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.

No kidding. To get beat around by high winds / rain / hail / hidden UFOs ... just to learn about a hurricane. Personally, if it looks ugly - it probably is.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by anachryon

Im expecting it to weaken to possibly a Cat 3 while passing over Cuba, but it will most likely return to Cat 5 after getting out into warm gulf waters.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I've just seen a repeated clip of Ray Nagin saying it!

He said:

"This hurricane is going to be at least a category five - and I'm no meteorologist. It also has the potential to get much worse."

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Not to be off-topic ( maybe it is - as its a question on information about the hurricane ) but where do you get your information? ( Just curious, as I'd like to look it up as well )

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
Im expecting it to weaken to possibly a Cat 3 while passing over Cuba, but it will most likely return to Cat 5 after getting out into warm gulf waters.

He's moving fast, I think he's probably going to stay cat 4 over Cuba. After that he'll pop up into cat 5 and stay there until several hours before landfall. The waters are shallower and cooler near the coast, so he's going to lose strength once he's closer to landfall.

IMO, of course.

Could you change the title of the post, maybe? People are panicked enough as it is and this could make the panic worse.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mtmouse32
Not to be off-topic ( maybe it is - as its a question on information about the hurricane ) but where do you get your information? ( Just curious, as I'd like to look it up as well )

I don't think it's off topic. We're talking about hurricane strength, right?

Dropsonde data

Historic data here.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Im waiting for the official public advisory due in about 8 minutes. I'll make updates after its released.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
5pm is out.

DATA FROM AN AIR FORCE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE INCREASED TO NEAR 150 MPH...240 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. GUSTAV IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON HURRICANE SCALE. SOME FLUCTUATIONS WITH AN OVERALL SLIGHT STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS...AND GUSTAV COULD REACH CATEGORY FIVE INTENSITY DURING THIS PERIOD. GUSTAV IS FORECAST TO REMAIN A MAJOR HURRICANE THROUGH LANDFALL ALONG THE NORTHERN GULF COAST.

THE MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE RECENTLY REPORTED BY THE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT WAS 942 MB...27.82 INCHES.

NHC

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
As I write now....(about 1700 EDT) watching CNN....Gustav is CAT 4.....but right on the edge, wind speed demarcation is 155MPH, I think they said....but a 'high' CAT4 is just as bad as a 'low' CAT 5.

I know we have ATS members who live along the Gulf coast.

AND in Florida, should the hurricane steer that way....

Take care, all......

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   

I changed the title to past tense strengthened, with the current wind speed to reflect the Cat 4 update, but it is a very high Cat 4 with 150 mph winds.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Im in louisiana and we are watching this one close. Hopefully the storm will weaken before it his land, but the storm surge is whats going to be bad if it enters the gulf at a cat5. Usually, they will weaken in sheer wind speed.....But that just makes it travel slower, and hang over head that much longer. Im about an hour north of New Orleans..

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I was flipping channels ( waiting on a show to start ) and went to "The Weather Channel" and they were talking about it.

According to their data / forecast / information, they are predicting it to reach upwards of 160 mph or more before it runs out of steam. Even if it downgrades to a 3 by landfall, its going to cause an awful lot of damage before the storm's eye reaches land.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join