It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane warning to New Orleans.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiamanicusThere is that, plus i just heard on the radio that New Orleans gas stations are running out as well and they may not be able to get more until after the storm gets here, permitting the storms arrival does not disrupt that. So....now what if they have no gas? Is everyone supposed to walk hundreds of miles in hurricaine weather? Or will you not blame them this time for being caught in it?

Here is the way I look at it. Natural disasters are NATURAL! They happen. Always have and always will. People living forever is NOT natural. Everyone will die eventually and in cases like this, it is a matter of those who have a will to live will get their arses out of the path of this hurricane no matter what they have to go through to do so.

I am not trying to sound harsh, but it is not like we just found out that this hurricane is headed this way today. They have had time and those who want to insure their safety have or will do so by any means necessary.

To rely on and/or blame anyone else, PARTICULARLY since this is a 2nd go round w/in a 5 year period is idiotic. They still have time.

If it were me and I was stupid enough to wait around until the last minute to fill up my tank w/ gas only to find there was none left, then I wouldn't be writing out this post and those travelling on Interstate 10 in the direction of baton rouge would see an out of breath white girl running her arse off or hitching a ride.

[edit on 30-8-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Katrina was the biggest mistakes the Government ever made in our great Nation! The powers that "be" are gona make sure they are not embarassed again, aren't they? I hope the people of NO have a way to evacuate their families safely. This looks like a killer storm.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Too bad the government has to keep all those UFO's they have hidden away such a secret. They could fly those in and beam up the areas of people needing to evac from harm. Or do it during the hurricane as it hits land ... take them back to one of the "secret" bases to do mind and other probes on them.
( Trying to figure out why in the world they would stay when a Cat 4-5 storm is pounding on them )

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey
A lot of people who would stay behind are those with pets. Most shelters do not allow animals and many people will not leave their pets behind. I did see on the news where the evacuation transportation is making arrangements for pets as well and I am SO glad to see that.

But please keep in mind it's not just the crazy people who would stay after being told to evacuate. I would never leave my pet behind for any reason.

The state knows this. There are selters that are open that will take pets this time around.

I am in BR and I think we are going to be hit pretty hard by this storm. Original projections had it coming straight through BR.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Breaking:

NEW ORLEANS MAYOR ORDERS EVACUATION OF CITY'S WEST BANK STARTING 8 A.M. CDT (1300 GMT) SUNDAY DUE TO HURRICANE GUSTAV

(AlertNet)

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma

Originally posted by TiamanicusThere is that, plus i just heard on the radio that New Orleans gas stations are running out as well and they may not be able to get more until after the storm gets here, permitting the storms arrival does not disrupt that. So....now what if they have no gas? Is everyone supposed to walk hundreds of miles in hurricaine weather? Or will you not blame them this time for being caught in it?

Here is the way I look at it. Natural disasters are NATURAL! They happen. Always have and always will. People living forever is NOT natural. Everyone will die eventually and in cases like this, it is a matter of those who have a will to live will get their arses out of the path of this hurricane no matter what they have to go through to do so.

I am not trying to sound harsh, but it is not like we just found out that this hurricane is headed this way today. They have had time and those who want to insure their safety have or will do so by any means necessary.

To rely on and/or blame anyone else, PARTICULARLY since this is a 2nd go round w/in a 5 year period is idiotic. They still have time.

If it were me and I was stupid enough to wait around until the last minute to fill up my tank w/ gas only to find there was none left, then I wouldn't be writing out this post and those travelling on Interstate 10 in the direction of baton rouge would see an out of breath white girl running her arse off or hitching a ride.

I am not saying anyone should be blamed for the hurricaine. I am just saying that it is really simplistic to think that each and every person in New Orleans has the means to just get up and leave and has a place to go and a way to sustain themselves why they are there. Can you just pick up and go away for a month tomorrow? will your job just wait for you? Do you have the money and supplies and a place to go? Ok, if you can do all that, how about when several hundred thousand people around you are attempting to do the same thing? Do you think things might get difficult? Hotels/Motels fill up, gas statios run out (not everyone waits until the last minute, some have to drive much farther than one tank will get them, others cannot even afford one full tank of gass) roadways will be clogged so gass will burn much faster anyway as you sit there idling. I am not saying that everyone is innocent and deserves pity for staying but I think it is really simple to sit wherever you are and just assume that everyone can just pick up and take off in case another big one comes.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
It looks to me it just took a northern turn after blasting Cuba. Looks like it is more on course for Miss or Alabama. And there's another one on its tail. Gulf coast living is beautiful. But not at this time of the year.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Ray Nagin:

"This is the storm of the century... the mother of all storms. We've never seen anything like this before ... People need to be scared of this ― very concerned ... Those who choose to stay behind will be alone and without help; there will be no services or anything like that."

- Mayor of New Orleans. (Reported on Sky TV)

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Tiamanicus

First off, as widely unpopular as this view may be, for ppl to be investing their life and money to live there is idiotic in my opinion (mind you, one of my closest friends' family is from there, but they at least have the sense enough to high tail it over here... just found out I will be opening up justamomma hotel for a couple of them and I am saying that to say I am not completely heartless and unsympathetic).

IF you are going to live and invest for your future on the coast in a "bowl" of sorts that is already soggy with swamp land, then I already am questioning your sense of reality.

If you agree that they have had experience now under their belt as to the reality of their living arrangements, adequate warning that a likely repeat of what happened 3 years ago on the way, and the resources to get out made available to them (there is plenty of help in alternative methods of transportation being made available to those who cannot get out on their own), then what are you expecting of me other than pity?

I would rather reserve my pity for those who really deserve it than to pass it out on fortunate souls who choose to be in and/or stay in harms way.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tiamanicus

I am just saying that it is really simplistic to think that each and every person in New Orleans has the means to just get up and leave and has a place to go and a way to sustain themselves why they are there. Can you just pick up and go away for a month tomorrow? will your job just wait for you? Do you have the money and supplies and a place to go?

Hi Tiamanicus.

Please don't take my words the wrong way, but...if people stay, will their jobs be waiting for them? At this point, I'm not sure their jobs will even exist anymore because NOLA and other areas are at serious risk of severe flooding. Their jobs are at risk of being 10' under water.
No, not everyone has the means to get up and leave. However, LA has already taken that into consideration. Everyone in the danger zone is able to get on a bus for no cost to them and go to a shelter, again at no cost to them. Many shelters allow pets, so family members of the animal persuasion are not forced to be left behind. At the shelter cots and food will be provided. The evacuee needs only bring themselves, some bedding, medication and other personal effects, and things like that.

If Gus does not create catastrophic damage, everyone will be given a ride back home when the danger is over. Their jobs are certainly secure if this is the case, because the entire area is shutting down no matter what.
If the worst happens and people are displaced for a month, we'll see a repeat of the situation after Katrina, where evacuees are provided with federal funds for shelter, food, clothing, etc. HOPEFULLY a better plan is in place for this so we don't see the debacles from three years ago.

I see no drawback to evacuating and taking advantage of the services LA is providing to do such if one is in the danger zone. I really don't. All I see is a much greater chance of survival.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Hi Mike,
A National Guard convoy rolled past my house at about 5:30 this afternoon, headed into New Iberia.

FYI: my baby brother is in the Guard...2nd LT w/the 256th

Thank you for your service to Louisiana (**salutes Mike**)

Ezzi

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Yikes...that does not sound promising. This mother could make katrina look like a good rain. There is 'no' global warming. I will never ever forget seeing the entire gulf encompassed by katrina.

Originally posted by chips
Ray Nagin:

"This is the storm of the century... the mother of all storms. We've never seen anything like this before ... People need to be scared of this ― very concerned ... Those who choose to stay behind will be alone and without help; there will be no services or anything like that."

- Mayor of New Orleans. (Reported on Sky TV)

[edit on 8/30/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Just heard on the news they sent an entire unit from Ohio down there. 750 men I believe. There will be no shortage of help this time around.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Did you say wabbit. And alligator tail on a stick? Cajuned of course. I'm all ears. I just loves me bunny. Almost to cute to kill and clean....but they are yummy as heck.

Originally posted by niteboy82
Well, I just got back from dropping off a friend at New Orleans Int'l Airport and an amazing amount of transportation is being provided for people. I wish I would have had my camera ready in order to put some pictures up of just how many buses there were. Needless to say, the help is here, the buses are already leaving to bring people out. Everything looks like it is going in motion.

St. Bernard Parish has declared a mandatory evacuation, with a 24 hour curfew set in place starting I believe at 4pm CST. Boards are going up, and my neighborhood is more and more like a ghost town.

Time to empty the refrigerators, if anyone wants all this leftover alligator, crab, deer, rabbit, and beef, let me know.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Jeez they are saying this is going to hit as a Cat. 5.

I cant imagine what that would be like to live through.

You all be safe now.

Nite, Im so glad you are heading out of town for this one.

This has to suck for you all having to pick up and leave your homes. How do you decide what to take and what to leave? Ug my heart goes out to you all.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Heard the same Mrs's. I have a strong feeling this could become quite ugly indeed. Cat 5 is just ungodly. Yes, I would not be sitting around to ride this one out.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I can understand where some of you are coming from about this being a nasty message etc etc etc, but in reality that is just not the case.

I live here... I can say with 100% certainty that EVERYONE has heard the warnings. There is no possible way that anyone has missed it. TV, Radio, you name it. It is everywhere. It is all people are talking about. You can not stand in line to buy something without the person next to you asking if you plan to leave or stay.

Katrina and Rita are still very much in the minds of everyone who lives here. Gas stations are out of gas, there is no bread at the grocery stores or Walmart. Every isle looks like it has been looted. I can walk outside into my drive way and see homes boarded up, and the majority of my neighbors have already left. At 4am today they are opening up every lane of traffic on the highways the go north. No one will be able to get in, everyone can use any lane they choose to get out.

They even have very specific rules for returning home and those have been plastered everywhere as well. Bottom line is this.... the Government is telling us to get out of the way of this storm. Evacuations are mandatory. Should you choose to stay, you better be able to take care of yourself. Personally, I have problem with that at all. I dont find it rude, nasty, or wrong in any way and I am not leaving.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

This storm WILL NOT hit as a Cat 5. It will hit as a Cat 4 at best and is expected to drop to a Cat 1 within a few hours of making land fall.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
For your sake Mr Wendall...I hope you are right.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
And in reply to someone who mentioned that there is no gas and are we expected to walk.... NO. Buses have been running all day long and are continuing to run and take people out of the area. If anything it has been a pretty smooth process. Even pets are allowed to be taken. The wait to "register" has only been a couple hours. Several thousands of people have already been evacuated by FEMA and local agencies. It is very clear to anyone who lives here that they refuse to look like fools again. Getting people out of this area has been a top priority and everyone has been given notice and opportunities to leave. I expect my area to be a repeat of Rita, the police went door to door and encouraged (in some cases forced) everyone to leave.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join