It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane warning to New Orleans.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   

news.sky.com

Police in New Orleans will be issuing a stark warning to residents who fail to flee the onrush of Hurricane Gustav: Get out now or you are on your own.

Police with bullhorns plan to go from street to street to tell citizens that there will be no shelter of last resort and the doors to the Superdome will be locked.

(visit the link for the full news article)

CX

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I'm not sure how to feel about this one.

I can understand that there comes to a point where you are putting others at risk if you do not evacuate like you have been asked, but where do you draw the line?

What if there are people who genuinely have'nt heard the warnings or did not realise they were as bad as predicted? Do you just leave them for being ignorant?

Emergency services have to respond to anyone who needs help. Many of those times are for people who really do not deserve it, whether because of thier own stupidity or other reasons, however they still have to be rescued.

news.sky.com

[edit on 30/8/08 by CX]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX

I'm not sure how to feel about this one.

I can understand that there comes to a point where you are putting others at risk if you do not evacuate like you have been asked, but where do you draw the line?

What if there are people who genuinely have'nt heard the warnings or did not realise they were as bad as predicted? Do you just leave them for being ignorant?

Emergency services have to respond to anyone who needs help. Many of those times are for people who really do not deserve it, whether because of thier own stupidity or other reasons, however they still have to be rescued.

news.sky.com

[edit on 30/8/08 by CX]

Good find... If they don't get out BUSH won't help them...

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX

news.sky.com

Police in New Orleans will be issuing a stark warning to residents who fail to flee the onrush of Hurricane Gustav: Get out now or you are on your own.

Police with bullhorns plan to go from street to street to tell citizens that there will be no shelter of last resort and the doors to the Superdome will be locked.

wow ! thats a really nasty message for a govenmnent to be sending to people with another possible disaster looming.

fair enough they all have to evacuate .. but their will always be some who cant, esspecialy if the evacuation happens as fast as it done last time!

Talk about no room at the in!

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
On one hand, yeah.. seems pretty harsh. Then again, look at what happened in 2005 to the Superdome. Kind of seems like the lack of disrespect and complaining is warranting this attitude of "We are giving you advanced notice to get the hell out." Hell, if they want to leave, they have had plenty of warning. They have legs, don't they? And those that can't due to disability I am sure will be taken care of.

CX

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma
They have legs, don't they? And those that can't due to disability I am sure will be taken care of.

I'm sure we all thought they would have been taken care of last time.......i guess thats why people are worried again this time.

CX.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Wow you see what value people get for the illegal income taxes.
Leave or we wont help you!

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

Yes, but I don't think last ppl REALLY were able to face the reality of what could happen. I seriously doubt that those who can't up and leave on their own will be left behind. What more can they do than what is being said in the article? You can't force ppl to leave and considering that reality should have sunk 3 years ago, I can understand their stance.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

As can I.

There is nothing else I can imagine them doing to make people aware that the offer is there to take them out. They are doing everything but dropping to their knees and begging people. Government representatives are constantly bombarding the airwaves with messages of how to sign up to be brought out (dial 311), they are going door to door to let people know, they are providing gasoline to people who run out of gas while evacuating. There is little else that they can do.

There is going to come the inevitable moment when tropical storm force winds will render emergency operations null. At that point the time on your own is going to begin, and trust me when I say, it is not fun.

The only area that I could see staying behind with a degree of relative safety are those in the French Quarter. I personally would be safe in a building there, with proper supplies, but I have a responsibility to those I love to make sure I am out and safe.

I can only hope that everyone heeds the warning.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   
niteboy,
Please be safe and godspeed to you and yours over the next few days. Gustav is now cat 3 and strengthening. Please let us know when you are safe and make sure that you and your loved ones are ok. Our thoughts will be with you!

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I don't buy the argument that people are unaware. Sure there is ignorance at all levels but look where you live. Communication these days is everywhere, cell phones, TV, radio. I'll bet those who had no idea are probably too busy watching american idol. Its a matter of priorities. I saw one woman interviewed on tv saying it can't happen again because of what they went through with Katrina. Time to wake up.

I live a fair distance from New Orleans and its clear to me, as early as Wednesday this week, that I'd be getting the hell out of there. Those who choose to stay deserve little sympathy. It's obvious someone upstairs doesn't want New Orleans to be on the map come next week.

brill

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Louisiana finally has a competent Governor, the buses are ready, and he actually has a plan. Government can warn people, but if they refuse to heed the warnings...they are on their own.

72 hours before landfall, and nursing home occupants are already being evacuated, that would have been unheard of 3 years ago.

The sad thing about Katrina is that the people who relied most on Government were the most affected by their absence. But isn't that the Democrat way? Keep the people dependent and wanting more.

I fully expect to lose power for a few days..so see ya'll after the storm!

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
It does seem a bit harsh, but I completely understand the point in it. If I am not mistaken they had fair warning with Katrina that it was going to get really bad and a lot of people didn't listen. It just seems to me that if you know a bad hurricane is headed right for you, you would get your butt out of the way. They may not want to lose everything they have again but that is preferable to possibly losing your life because you are too stubborn to evacuate. There is no way anyone in the path of this particular hurricane is unaware that it is coming and it's another bad one. I don't see anything wrong with telling them there won't be anyone left to help them this time if they don't evacuate.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Louisiana state agencies (Dept of Social Services, Dept of Health & Hospitals, Office of Emergency Preparedness, Homeland Security, etc.) have all been on "active alert" status since Wednesday. Pre-disaster plans were set in motion on that day to prepare for mass evacuation & shelter operations.

There are tons of resources available for those needing transportation assistance to get the hell out of New Orleans (or any where else in the danger zone, including where I live in south central Louisiana, about 20 miles from the coast) to various shelter locations (including pet/livestock evac & shelter), food, water, etc.

These resources are also available for those who are self-sufficient & able to "get out", so any member of this segment of the population who stays behind does so at their own risk (like me).

State agencies and non-profit organizations (such as Red Cross) have undertaken great efforts to ensure that anyone requiring help to "get outta Dodge" gets it.

The only people who will be "left behind" after pre-disaster preparation procedures are completed will be those who chose to do so or those who are so disenfranchised that they are unaware of current events...even so, local & state law enforcement & National Guard will "sweep" mandatory evac areas to spread the word to all that it's "go time" and assist those who need last-minute help.

Even so, I do worry very much about the elderly, disabled, mentally ill, homeless...hopefully, everyone who needs assistance will get it.

Love to all...stay safe.
Ezzi

[edit on 30-8-2008 by ezziboo]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Well, I just got back from dropping off a friend at New Orleans Int'l Airport and an amazing amount of transportation is being provided for people. I wish I would have had my camera ready in order to put some pictures up of just how many buses there were. Needless to say, the help is here, the buses are already leaving to bring people out. Everything looks like it is going in motion.

St. Bernard Parish has declared a mandatory evacuation, with a 24 hour curfew set in place starting I believe at 4pm CST. Boards are going up, and my neighborhood is more and more like a ghost town.

Time to empty the refrigerators, if anyone wants all this leftover alligator, crab, deer, rabbit, and beef, let me know.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

Niteboy, if you can find your way to Iberia Parish, my husband will gladly provide safe haven for your beer....

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
This is very simple. If you dont leave you stay at your own peril. In a free society you shouldnt have to rely on the government to bail you out you need to look out for your own safety and not rely on the government to do it for you. There is plenty of warning only an absolute moron would not know a hurricane is coming and to get out. People need to get out and not take chances. I dont want to here people snibble if they stay and something bad happens.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
"you shouldnt have to rely on the government to bail you out you need to look out for your own safety and not rely on the government to do it for you."

So what do people pay taxes for?
They should have at least built shelters for people to go in during the storm, and have some emergency management plan in place for afterwards.
Other than telling people to just leave there whole city.
Im sorry but this is pathetic and lazy in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ezziboo

During an evacuation, as I'm sure you know, you are supposed to take valuables with you. Beer is not an exception. I'm going to Memphis, goodness knows what dry counties I may encounter.

--

The track has shifted slightly to the East. Whether or not there is a direct hit, NOLA is going to feel this storm if the track stays. Another concern that I have is for the Northshore of the metro area (this is along Lake Ponchartrain.) When the surge comes through and water is pushed into the lake, once the storm stays on its track and moves further, it looks to me like a substantial amount of this water is going to push onto the Northshore area.

Prepare for the worst, and hope for the best, they say.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
It has been said that Camille killed more people during katrina then when it hit.
That is why so many elderly were behind, they dealt with the likes of Camille just fine. So Katrina shouldn't of been a problem. The only difference is despite warnings from engineers and environmental groups, the state kept selling of wetlands to oil companies and developers that kept Camille from destroying the city. The one barrier that has protected NO for centuries. 65% of the population that stayed behind said they had transportation out of the city.

There are actually towns in surrounding areas that did not have casualties because they practice their own evacuations constantly. They time them, they do roll call. They have it down to a science. And they didn't use a single person.

The government can give you warning, but you need to get your own butt out.
I am not going to wait for the fire dept to get me out of my own house during a fire if I have a choice, why should they get you out during a hurricane?
If your willing to wait for some automoton with a bullhorn to tell you what to do , instead of taking responsibility for your life into your own hands, then that is the risk you are willing to take, and you won't get much sympathy from me. Sorry.

But I think far more people are going to listen now, now that they realize that the state sold its own people out, and they are not as safe as they once were.

Glad there is a better governor there.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join