It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane warning to New Orleans.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

I'm sorry but I don't understand why you're NOT leaving.
Are you prepared to stay in your home and do you have neccessary items like an axe to cut thru your roof when the water comes in?
I hope you'll be safe.
I'll pray for you.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

I'd bet my life on it

Sorry I could not resist the joke.

I have my plan, my back up plan, and my back up back up plan. I have read all the available data, seen the projections and the coverage in this area has been non stop for days. Today was the big day for the news though, all day long it was non stop weather info and suggestions. Non Stop. No regular programming on TV, just the local news talking heads.

If this thing does make landfall as a Cat 5, I will leave about an hour ahead of it going North East while this storm moves North West. There is even some speculation that once it makes landfall it will actually do more of a U-Turn and follow the coast line into Galveston TX. No word yet on who will get the direct hit, but everyone knows it is coming. It is my belief that New Orleans will get the glancing blow. Lake Charles will get the direct hit.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicaRose

I dont need to leave. This storm will weaken some as it gets closer. It will weaken to Cat 1 status within a few hours of making landfall. This is not another Katrina, Rita, Andrew or Hugo.

I have taken every precaution there is to take. I have food, water, tools, a gun. A car if I do need to leave and access to a generator should I feel the need to use it. I refuse to panic. You really can not predict a hurricane, you can only make an educated guess as to what it will do. I have made mine, yet I am still prepared in case I am wrong. This storm will slow down and spend almost a full day off the coast, if it strengt6hens in that time to a Cat 5 again, I'll leave. If it sits around a 4, I'm not going anywhere, and I will be here to greet any ignorant looters.

as a side note: They expect power to be out up to 3 weeks. For me the more interesting story will be in the aftermath, not the actual storm.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Mr Wendal,
You have a lot more courage than I would have in this kind of storm.
I'll be thinking about you.

[edit on 30-8-2008 by MagicaRose]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ezziboo

It seems to me that Lousiana state officials are doing everything in their power and then some to prepare for this event. If I were a Louisiana state official, I would just expect the government leaders to trip on their own shoelaces like last time. When people's lives depend on government agencies that have ALWAYS been ill-prepared for a major catastrophe, putting all your faith in those agencies seems pretty absurd.

No major disaster relief effort in the U.S. has ever been a screaming success... Its good to see that the leaders in Louisiana have their head on straight and are doing as much preparation as possible now.. Because if worse comes to worse they don't want another Katrina replay and being absolutely dependant on organisations that failed the victims of Katrina in 1995 is not really something these people can put much faith in (and understandably).

-ChriS

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
You may drive NE, but you do realize that the NE quadrant of all hurricanes is the strongest right? You're better off going due norht if possible.

Originally posted by MrWendal
reply to post by jpm1602

I'd bet my life on it

Sorry I could not resist the joke.

I have my plan, my back up plan, and my back up back up plan. I have read all the available data, seen the projections and the coverage in this area has been non stop for days. Today was the big day for the news though, all day long it was non stop weather info and suggestions. Non Stop. No regular programming on TV, just the local news talking heads.

If this thing does make landfall as a Cat 5, I will leave about an hour ahead of it going North East while this storm moves North West. There is even some speculation that once it makes landfall it will actually do more of a U-Turn and follow the coast line into Galveston TX. No word yet on who will get the direct hit, but everyone knows it is coming. It is my belief that New Orleans will get the glancing blow. Lake Charles will get the direct hit.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   

reply to post by MagicaRose

I dont need to leave. This storm will weaken some as it gets closer. It will weaken to Cat 1 status within a few hours of making landfall. This is not another Katrina, Rita, Andrew or Hugo.

I thought Katrina hit as a Cat 3 and then weakened to Cat 1 soon after. Gustav might hit as a Cat 4 and in a worse place than Katrina. This could be much worse. Either you know something the experts don't, you're in denial, or you're just hoping for the best

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
What if the residents of the recent floods in the Midwest were treated like this? Get out or there's no help for you?

And yes, Thank God the doors to the superdome aka hell, will be locked. Let's not repeat that mistake.

I feel for all of these people down there trying to rebuild their lives.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asherah
What if the residents of the recent floods in the Midwest were treated like this? Get out or there's no help for you?

And yes, Thank God the doors to the superdome aka hell, will be locked. Let's not repeat that mistake.

I feel for all of these people down there trying to rebuild their lives.

What if the residents of the recent floods in the midwest were treated like the victims of hurricane Katrina in 2005?! No sane person ever wants to see a repeat of Katrina... But for the people of Lousiana it isn't just a matter of whether or not they get federal aid in the form of disaster relief if the situation goes from bad to worse. It is also matter of trusting the government and disaster relief organisations to do thier jobs when the lives of people in Lousiana depend on it. That didn't get that done after Katrina, so how can Louisiana citizens have much faith in a system that largely hung them out to dry after one of the biggest natural disasters in American history?

People shouldn't be forced out of their homes.. If the citizens of any state know what's at stake during and after a hurricane it is the citizens of Louisiana. If people choose to stay in their homes, noone should have the legal authority to say otherwise. These people have Katrina burnt into their memories. They know how bad it can get..These aren't ignorant people who are unwilling to relocate because they don't understand how grim the situation really is. If people decide to stay behind and weather out the storm, its because they made a conscious decision to do so well-knowing that it could cost them their lives.

It might sound suicidal to us, but people have their reasons. Forcing people out of their homes and trucking them off to a some FEMA camp isn't exactly a great prospect either. Have you seen some of the FEMA camps out there? Constantina wire? security systems and turnstiles? Some of these places look more like concentration camps..

-ChriS

[edit on 31-8-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I agree with you Chris. My emotions are running high about it. I have zero ties to Louisiana, and have no friends or family there. But my heart goes to these people.

Someone mentioned in this thread that, they basically couldn't understand why someone would choose to live in an area that continually has hurricanes, and an area already devastated at that. This person said they had no sympathy for them.

Well, that would be like telling someone who lives in tornado alley to find a safer place to live. Or someone like me, who grew up near the banks of the Missouri to go further inland so I won't be caught in a flood. (I also grew up with tornados) Or the people who live in California because the big earthquake might happen. Or the fires.

What would the citizens of the recent midwest flooding do if someone told them not to go back - and recover their homes? That they shouldn't be living in an area that could flood again?

My home is my home. I would want to be able to go back to it and rebuild. Despite the devastation. And it truly brings tears to my eyes to think that if NOLA is hit as hard as they say it will be, will it be forever lost? So much work has already been put into rebuilding.

It is unacceptable to me! Unacceptable that we cannot rebuild this city and fix the problems. It's on the people to get out of harms way when the storm comes.... and to take the help offered, but it's still on the government to offer aid to rebuild their city, rebuild the levees properly.... do it right. If we can blow billions of dollars to rebuild cities in another country, then why not a city in ours?!

Rant over!

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
In response to all those blaming everyone but those CHOOSING to live there, if you expect the government to be responsible for the natural disasters and those choosing to live in a spot that is unkind to the residents living in those areas, ya best hope that I don't catch you ranting how the government is taking too much control of your life.

Are we not intelligent beings who are capable of taking our own lives into our hands? Why do we expect others (gov't etc) to be responsible for our bad choices and blame them when bad things happen as a result of our choices?

I do not live in New Orleans and yet I know that it is a) sitting on the coast which makes it a possible target to hurricanes, b) it is basically a bowl.. meaning that it is lower than the surrounding land levels, and c) has little ground mass to soak up rain fall.. thus it is prone to disaster.

Where is the sense in blaming others (even gov't) for the ppl's personal decisions to live in a death trap?

I appreciate Mr. W's perspectives on life and I doubt he would disagree with me when I say that due to the complaints of the last time around, NO ONE has been left with an excuse to have pity brought upon their decision to stay!!

I live in A,TX and it has been a good part of our news today.. if I have adequate warning without even being in the "major" pathway of this storm, I see little room to blame our officials.

Quit blaming our gov't and quit expecting them to take pity and pick up the slack for our personal choices. PLEASE!! Like I said, all those who are blaming or expecting from our government to bail us out and make life peachy keen best not be caught complaining about the "police state" etc they are finding themselves in or I will be sure to refer you back to this thread
*said in a sticky sweet tone*

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

I understand your argument and it is one I've heard many times.. But you can't ever avoid the factor of natural disasters no matter where you live on the planet. You CAN minimize the risks of a hurricane, for example, based on where you choose to live. However, you can never statistically rule out the possibility of a natural disaster occurring where it normally wouldn't, and some kinds of natural phenomenon occur globally anwyay. It just doesn't make sense to me why you would move your family away from your home, your job, your life, and move to a part of the world where there might be just as bad a potential for some other kind of natural disaster.

I used to live in Tornado alley right in the crosshairs of some of the worst weather in the U.S. I went to high school in a small town in Northeastern Oklahoma and it was our home. People have an attachment to the places where they have grown up, gotten married, lived for X years, or where people have alot of family nearby. People don't sit in one geographic location ignorant of what can happen.

This might sound crazy because people KNOW what can happen yet they choose to live there anyway. But leaving your entire life behind and moving away because of what MIGHT happen also seems kinda nutty. You could have a meteor fall on your head just as easily as you can have a tornado destroy your home. It all depends on luck.. People don't see the possibility of the worst-case scenario as justification for relocating their families. It's not that easy. people have jobs, family, friends, etc.. All close to where they live. It would seem a little crazy to just leave all of that for no good reason other than you are afraid of getting hit by a tornado.

You have Tornadoes in the midwest, Hurricanes and pacific ocean thunderstorms on the East Coast, you have massive fires and earthquakes on the West Coast, and all kinds of really bad weather and anything else I've forgotten in between. I live in Alaska these days, but even here the earthquake and volcanic activity is everywhere and the 50 below weather can be pretty sketchy..

These things just can't be avoided and no matter where you live you aren't necessarily statistically safer than you would have been if you didn't relocate in the first place. And I honestly would rather live here in Alaska where I call home than anywhere else in the world because I love this place.. Living in one location and consciously deciding to do so is also an important part of having a stable family and marriage.

I grew up as an Army brat and I've lived all over the world. I watched that always moving around affect our family and it eventually led to my parents getting divorced. After I graduated from high school I joined the Air force and moved around the world for another 6 years. Worrying about what natural disasters could directly affect my life and those of my wife and kids is not the kind of thing I ponder every day of my life. We decided to live here and this is our home. You take the good with the bad and move on with life. There isn't any place on the planet that isn't at risk for some kind of natural disaster. You can't even live underground and be completely safe..

-ChriS

[edit on 31-8-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

*raises hand* I lived in tornado alley as well (loved it btw.. I am a danger junkie I guess). Still, never ONCE would I have blamed ANYONE for the disasters that we DID go through while living there. My (now ex) husband and I CHOSE to live there bc of the lower cost of living and the higher wages he would be receiving, not to mention the family he had there.

If you make the choice to live and/or stay somewhere for WHATEVER reasons, they may be reasons valid to your life, but that doesn't mean they are valid to the rest of us when bad things should happen as a result and certainly don't deserve pity when you have been given every possible means to escape looming disaster.

Should a meteor fall out of the sky and hit my house, I would hope that ppl would not pity me but rather see that *I* was blessed for having the chance of life on this earth.

I just look at things differently than most, I suppose. I am grateful for what I have now and don't blame others when bad things happen. I understand reality, nature, and life and accept that things happen that are out of my control and if something bad should happen as a result of a choice I made that was in my control (regardless of my reasonings that may appear noble) than I have no one to blame but me.

[edit on 31-8-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma
reply to post by Tiamanicus

First off, as widely unpopular as this view may be, for ppl to be investing their life and money to live there is idiotic in my opinion (mind you, one of my closest friends' family is from there, but they at least have the sense enough to high tail it over here... just found out I will be opening up justamomma hotel for a couple of them and I am saying that to say I am not completely heartless and unsympathetic).

IF you are going to live and invest for your future on the coast in a "bowl" of sorts that is already soggy with swamp land, then I already am questioning your sense of reality.

If you agree that they have had experience now under their belt as to the reality of their living arrangements, adequate warning that a likely repeat of what happened 3 years ago on the way, and the resources to get out made available to them (there is plenty of help in alternative methods of transportation being made available to those who cannot get out on their own), then what are you expecting of me other than pity?

I would rather reserve my pity for those who really deserve it than to pass it out on fortunate souls who choose to be in and/or stay in harms way.

[edit on 30-8-2008 by justamomma]

ok fine. Blame them for living there. I can see that. I guess I just do not accept the people that blamed them for not getting out fast enough last time. Afterall, they were told the levies would hold. I just heard so much blame about those stupid people that wouldnt leave when it was really easy to say from NY. I get what you mean and you have a point.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by anachryon

Originally posted by Tiamanicus

I am just saying that it is really simplistic to think that each and every person in New Orleans has the means to just get up and leave and has a place to go and a way to sustain themselves why they are there. Can you just pick up and go away for a month tomorrow? will your job just wait for you? Do you have the money and supplies and a place to go?

Hi Tiamanicus.

Please don't take my words the wrong way, but...if people stay, will their jobs be waiting for them? At this point, I'm not sure their jobs will even exist anymore because NOLA and other areas are at serious risk of severe flooding. Their jobs are at risk of being 10' under water.
No, not everyone has the means to get up and leave. However, LA has already taken that into consideration. Everyone in the danger zone is able to get on a bus for no cost to them and go to a shelter, again at no cost to them. Many shelters allow pets, so family members of the animal persuasion are not forced to be left behind. At the shelter cots and food will be provided. The evacuee needs only bring themselves, some bedding, medication and other personal effects, and things like that.

If Gus does not create catastrophic damage, everyone will be given a ride back home when the danger is over. Their jobs are certainly secure if this is the case, because the entire area is shutting down no matter what.
If the worst happens and people are displaced for a month, we'll see a repeat of the situation after Katrina, where evacuees are provided with federal funds for shelter, food, clothing, etc. HOPEFULLY a better plan is in place for this so we don't see the debacles from three years ago.

I see no drawback to evacuating and taking advantage of the services LA is providing to do such if one is in the danger zone. I really don't. All I see is a much greater chance of survival.

Ok, now ask yourself if you can just get up and leave your job tomorrow because something "might" happen sometime soon. And you can just stay where ever until the coast is clear whenever that may be. Now that it is an official evacuation, that is different and of course they should all just go. I was referring to the idea that they shoul all just up and leave everytime there is a threat looming.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Ok, now ask yourself if you can just get up and leave your job tomorrow because something "might" happen sometime soon. And you can just stay where ever until the coast is clear whenever that may be. Now that it is an official evacuation, that is different and of course they should all just go. I was referring to the idea that they shoul all just up and leave everytime there is a threat looming.

If a massive hurricane was making a beeline for where I'm sitting now, then yes, I could get up and leave my job tomorrow.
They're evacuating New Orleans and other cities and towns in the danger zone. There won't be offices, shops, stores, restaurants, etc open to go work at.

Should someone in, say, the FL panhandle evacuate? Not unless their city/town officials recommend (or TELL) them to. Those aren't the people we're telling to get out.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by anachryon

If a massive hurricane was making a beeline for where I'm sitting now, then yes, I could get up and leave my job tomorrow.
They're evacuating New Orleans and other cities and towns in the danger zone. There won't be offices, shops, stores, restaurants, etc open to go work at.

Should someone in, say, the FL panhandle evacuate? Not unless their city/town officials recommend (or TELL) them to. Those aren't the people we're telling to get out.

Way to respond after only reading half of my post! I appreciate the thoughtful time and effort.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

I wonder if those Blackwater guys are there again. Will there be martial law. Gun confiscation, shoot to kill, curfews, etc.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:23 AM
link   

I have my plan, my back up plan, and my back up back up plan.

If this thing does make landfall as a Cat 5, I will leave about an hour ahead of it going North East while this storm moves North West.

I really hope that you understand the situation entirely and are talking about leaving an hour before the main storm arrives - ie: in the next 12 hours. This thing is about 400 miles across, will travel almost 400 miles in a day and the winds on even the outer bands of a Cat 4 Hurricane can reach up to 60 miles an hour. At 60 miles an hour, tractor trailers flip over and block the highways routinely, and police and emergency vehicles are grounded - they cannot respond if you are stuck on a highway in a hurricane.

Think very carefully about the time you will need to leave and the risks of traveling ahead of a storm, and not just the risks to you but the lives you might be endangering if you have to be rescued. There will probably be a deadline time announced for evacuation, whatever you think the storm is going to do, leave well before that time arrives or don't leave at all.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Mr Wendal. Being a home owner I'd be like a pit bull with a very bad attitude to any foe. I certainly do not have any disrespect for you desire to hunker down. A man's home IS his castle. I appreciate that. Fortuantly, I own two rather large dogs. One of whom almost jumped out the screen the other night to get at someone who attempted to breech my backyard. Just read your backup to me, and I had to laugh. Because I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the wood. Be well, stay well my friend.

[edit on 8/31/2008 by jpm1602]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join