It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane warning to New Orleans.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I worry about the paranoid and severely mentally ill folk in New Orleans. It's hard to even get them to trust social workers enough to give them a sandwich, how are they to trust them to get on a bus to evacuate? The homeless also. Those with very limited means.

The fact is there will people that will be there when the storm hits no matter what. Does anyone know what the plan is to help these people? No shelters? What about after the storm?

After "Browney, your doing a heck of a job!" --Pres. Bush I have little faith in these guys and FEMA...looks like we might be doing Red Cross fundraisers again this fall...

Our hearts to the poor and those left behind...I hope it doesn't flood this time...fingers crossed!

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I am glad the message is so strong. If you think about it from the other side, the rescue workers lives are important as well and if there are a bunch of stupid people who decided to "ride it out" and need help, somone is going to try. For everyones safety, they need to listen. the same mistake will not be made this time.

niteboy82- are you going to go down to Pat O'Brians for a hurricane, or are you just gona pack up a bail?

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
I believe they are much better prepared this time, considering past debacles. Looters and henchmen will be shot on site.

I beg to differ. If everyone else is gone... who's going to do the shooting?

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

There is already an entire Army national guard Infantry Brigade Combat team on the ground in New Orleans. They are expected to hunker down in New Orleans through the storm and maintain security. Blackwater is also deploying contractors.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Stay safe MikeboydUS.

And know that we appreciate everything you do! My group did our part and we're clearing out, and got rid of any sort of flying debris to make sure your part can be as easy as we can personally make it for you.

Best wishes, and again stay safe!

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
People KNOW they have to get out. Thank God we have Jindal in office now...he has already made all the preparations for people that have no way to evacuate themselves. Thousands of buses are on stand by. This morning I saw a scene from the convention center in NO with lines of people being evacuated by bus. They also have trains to take people out. I agree 100% that if you don't get out you are on your own....there is no excuse this time, you have free transport. Heck, as I sit here typing this, I can hear the military helicopters overhead. This has been going on all day.

Edit to add: Gustav is a Cat 4 and hasn't even crossed Cuba yet. Bands reaching all the way to the Florida/Georgia line. It has gotten much larger in size that originally thought. At first it was onlt supposed to be a small, powerful storm, now it is so large the entire Carribean appears to be under cloud cover.

[edit on 30/8/08 by quaple_pouge]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
A lot of people who would stay behind are those with pets. Most shelters do not allow animals and many people will not leave their pets behind. I did see on the news where the evacuation transportation is making arrangements for pets as well and I am SO glad to see that.

But please keep in mind it's not just the crazy people who would stay after being told to evacuate. I would never leave my pet behind for any reason.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by quaple_pouge

This is really really scary. They didn't redo the leveys either did they? I know they were repaired, but I mean shouldn't they have been redone...if this storm roars across as a cat 4 or 5 and hits New Orleans, she will surely flood.

Are they expecting it to flood again / the levies to break?

I'm going right now to look at the satelite photos...I wish I were there able to help someone to get out...what a mess.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
This is going to be one nasty storm. I only wish I was in good health, as I would go down wherever it does hit to help.

The psychological toll these folks from NOLA must be going thru, I don't even want to imagine.

But what I worry about most though, is that if NOLA doesn't get hit, all the folks who evacuated this time might not next time. They will do the ol' "Oh, you said it was going to to hit us last time too, and it didn't then - why will it now?" routine.

Saw a woman being interviewed on MSNBC this morning who was refusing to evacuate herself and large family.. Her excuse? "Oh, we just got hit 3 years ago. It's IMPOSSIBLE for another hurricane to hit us so soon".

OK.............

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I just read 150mph sustained winds in Cuba. They evacuated some 200,000 people...then the rains to come in the night means one thing...flooding. These poor people on the island of Cuba...our hearts go out to them.

Can you imagine 150 mile per hour winds? gusts probably around 180pmp. Unbelievable! I bet the waves are huge. Yeah, this might make Katrina look like cheese and a bottle of red wine out in the park.

I also read that $billions have been spent on the levies and that they were repaired but only to survive a 100 year storm...Katrina was considered to be a one in 350 some odd year storm. Gustov may roar into shore Monday much stronger... (I found the articles on Theweatherchannel.com they have some amazing video) ABC news is now saying that McCain is suggesting that maybe the RNC convention be postponed due to Gustav...

Also keep your eyes on the photos of the eye itself and see if we see that 5 pointed star-pentagram like thing pop up again that Richard Hoagland has pointed out...it tends to only happen with the 4's and 5's. Not sure what to make of that...I think it was Ivan that had the most promanent one.

[edit on 30-8-2008 by skyshow]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
FEMA says Gustav soon to be rated Category 5

WASHINGTON: The government's disaster relief chief says Hurricane Gustav is growing into a monster Category 5 storm.

The storm that hit Cuba Saturday could reach landfall along the U.S. Gulf Coast as early as Monday afternoon.

Federal Emergency Management Agency chief David Paulison told reporters several times at a briefing Saturday that the storm was strengthening into a Category 5 hurricane. Gustav was a highly dangerous Category 4 storm Saturday afternoon.

A Category 5 storm has winds greater than 155 mph (250 kph).

After Paulison's briefing, hurricane forecasters said the storm still was classified as Category 4 although it was intensifying rapidly. They are predicting it will grow into a Category 5 hurricane by early Sunday.

(International Herald Tribune)

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I live on the west coast of Florida and if this sucker turns to the right at all, I am headed to the Carolinas. I don't trust their forecast path, Hurricanes do what they want. If this storm does hit New Orleans it is forecast to be stronger than Katrina and nothing in that area will be left.

This would be a large Andrew in the worse place possible. Andrew had a small eye wall and it left nothing standing in Homestead. Katrina lost strength before it made landfall and one can only hope for the same this time around.

If you live near the coast of Louisiana, Mississippi or Alabama I would be leaving right now with plans to not come back.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

I've been watching all these threads carefully as I have family on the Gulf coast...God bless Cuba, and I hope they all are safe as they can be.

I was really intriqued by the pentagram issue....I had never heard of it before, and I found this image of Isabel. The website I found it on was a little weird, but assures that the image hasn't been altered. The star is quite clear in the eye.

files.abovetopsecret.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

[edit on 30-8-2008 by caitlinfae]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I will try to come back to one of the Hurricane threads later, as I am about to go on shift for 12 hour security detail. If I have any additional news, especially anything not covered by the mainstream media I will give updates about it on ATS.

If anyone has friends or family in the path of Gustav, I ask you to please tell them to get out. If they cant get out and dont know what to do please contact the State Police, FEMA, the Department of Social Services, and Red Cross so that they can assist in getting those people out of harm's way.

[edit on 30/8/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Well, as a person Who lives on the westbank of New Orleans , and is staying (reluctantly ), i can tell yall that......I'm pretty damn scared

I left for Katrina, and now it looks like we might get hit on the east side by Gustav ( katrina hit us on the western weaker side)

this time i just can't leave , i have no car at this time and a house full of comics and toys. now i know that's a retarded thing to stay for, but i'm not sticking it out at my house, I'm staying on the second floor of the Travelodge i work at.

we are checking in Entergy (power company), waist management, and some rescue squads, they have garanteed us food and supplies

and i'm packing my room with everything i can fit in it

but i'm also next to the Harvey Canal, which some say have a chance of overflowing..... I don't really know, but a bunch of tugboats all docked there this morning so maybe thats because they know something i don't

but damn we might get hit with the side that erased the Mississippi gulf coast

so if i survive this one, I'm thinkin i'm moving to somewhere else,

Hell, maybe out of the country given everything else going on,

I was born and raised on the WestBank of N. O. , and since Katrina it's completely deteriorated (socially, and economically)

I loved this place , truly........but after this i gotta let it go

Our Mayor Ray Nagan Has made this City a joke, our police are the most corrupt in the nation, and murders are top in the nation

If i had a car I'd left by now, but i don't have that option
and at least i get paid during the event for staying at the hotel

and i can't get my roomates to come to the hotel ( i got them a room, on me)
they think they can stick it out with a generator at the house, but that gonna be no good if the water comes in even a couple of feet

I'm not religious but if some one wants to pray, or even send a wish saved up on a birthday my way, or even a Quantum thought....I could sure use it

so i guess i'll be online at A.T.S. until i lose a connection

Show some quantum love, i need all the help i can get

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

no they haven't redone the levee's, in fact there was a big stink about how a group of state workers were cought putting NEWSPAPER in the holes of them

They about got there @$$es kicked by people in the area

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by goukilock

Gouki, there are buses that will take you out of the city. Comics and toys can be replaced. You can't.
Gus is looking like he'll make landfall as a cat 4 storm. Please get out.

Here is info detailing how to be evacuated.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by justamomma
On one hand, yeah.. seems pretty harsh. Then again, look at what happened in 2005 to the Superdome. Kind of seems like the lack of disrespect and complaining is warranting this attitude of "We are giving you advanced notice to get the hell out." Hell, if they want to leave, they have had plenty of warning. They have legs, don't they? And those that can't due to disability I am sure will be taken care of.

Miss. Gas running low

There is that, plus i just heard on the radio that New Orleans gas stations are running out as well and they may not be able to get more until after the storm gets here, permitting the storms arrival does not disrupt that. So....now what if they have no gas? Is everyone supposed to walk hundreds of miles in hurricaine weather? Or will you not blame them this time for being caught in it?

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by anachryon

Your right, but truthfully I can't leave my friends, I don't have family i talk to, there all i got, i don't know what i'd do if somthing happen to them

they have been the saving grace of living here the past few years

I simply can't abandon them when i'll have first stab at telling the rescue people where to go to help my friends

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by goukilock

Why will your friends not leave?

Look, I understand that there's still uncertainty over where Gus is going, but we're not talking about a rain event like Fay was. We're looking at a storm surge near Katrina levels as things look now, and we're looking at the very real possibility that Gus will slow down tremendously overland and pump a ton of torrential rain in the area. He's supposed to maintain hurricane force winds a full 24 hours after landfall. Gus is a nightmare in the making.

Please try to convince them, and yourself!, to get the hell out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join