It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Television: Awakening The Reptile Mind

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Television: Awakening The Reptile Mind

www.americanchronicle.com

Studies have also shown reduced activity in the higher brain or the neo cortex, the most highly evolved part of our brain responsible for reason, memory and cognition, while viewing television. Whereas the lower brain, the limbic system, shows increased activity. The limbic system is responsible for regulating our emotional state and mood; it is associated with feelings of anger, fear, rage, sexual arousal, pleasure, and sadness and is often referred to as the "reptile brain". The limbic system is also part of our natural "fight or flight" instinct and cannot discern the truth of what is being viewed; to the reptile brain it is all reality. And interestingly enough, the limbic system is also where many psychiatric disorders are hatched. So the harmless entertainment that the average household spends hours a day pursuing is not so harmless after all.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I turned off my TV completely for six months at one time, it was amazing how my outlook on life changed and how my self-image improved. Strange, though, how people reacted when they found out and I couldn't discuss their programs with them. Some even seemed a little angry about it.

www.americanchronicle.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-8-2008 by Vikturtle]

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Theres a lot of people who always knew this! And its not just children who can't distinguish fantasy from fiction on television. What a powerful tool for abuse by those in power!

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vikturtle
Strange, though, how people reacted when they found out and I couldn't discuss their programs with them. Some even seemed a little angry about it.

I get that about not watching the news or horror/cop shows. I don't watch any news whatsoever !!

I don't need to see/hear who killed, raped, stole from, or invaded.
Nor do I want to watch movies/shows of the same.
I'm sick of violence.

Yet people think I'm nuts for wanting no part of it.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

When you consider it, the abuses are so outrageous, yet there is very little protest. It's rather frightening how we have been so well trained to accept things, it doesn't speak well of the future.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Misfit

Yeah, I get that too when I'm not familiar with the lastest Headline Murder. I always figure those things are distraction cause there are so many murders with deep roots that are not spoken of, I guess the world is a stage or perhaps a magician's act with a lot of "slight of hand".

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Very interesting thread.

I'm gonna have to come back to read it all.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
TV is indeed the banal scourge of our Society today.
MY friends you are best advised to not invest in its fancy imagery of smoke and mirrors where the subtle mind is proved to be a haven for discordant thoughts of unbecoming and of the true happiness and joy that there is to life.
Why cant we put a petition in for a World NO TV day. As there is all sorts of other frivolous World.."this and that" Days. Why cant we have one that will mean something on a grander scale?

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I don't watch any TV at all, and I'm dumber than a box of crap. I'm also chronically depressed and have absolutely no positive self image... at all.

So there's got to be some other cause besides television. Perhaps it's reality? I would nominate reality as a good reason for the "reptile mind" to be in hiding. Reality sucks.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation

I'm dumber than a box of crap

I think this particular one-liner will be ok

Library !!

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Vikturtle

To be honest I don't really watch much TV these days anyway, every I need to do I use the internet. I read the news, check my emails, do my banking and watch programs on my computer.

Every now and then I will sometimes watch TV if I know theres a good film or documentry on.

I think most people should try and reduce the amount of television they watch, if you ask me it encourages people to be lazy and lets face it, its hardly brain stimulating is it??

Look at people who where born in the era when TV wasn't available or theyre familys could not afford it. They needed to actually do something with their time to stay occupied so they had hobbies, or went outdoors and did something physical.

In my oppinion people from that generation seem ALOT quicker, and sharped minded than the majority of our generation today.

They didn't sit there and watch TV all day, they would create electronic circuits, or collect and learn about coins/stamps. Definately more productive than sitting around all day.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Misfit

I always want to know about the news and whats going on in the world, and sadly that involves murders, rapes etc But I do agree that through the use of the media these things have, as someone has already said, become accepted by the general population.

The constant exposure to stories of such negative natures cannot be doing us any favours...

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I think TV makes you more reactive and emotional while you are watching it, then you suffer from a kind of withdrawl afterwards, when you switch off the TV, where you enter a semi-depressed unemotional state. The TV programs you by manipulating your emotions while the lizard brain is turned on. Then when you turn off the TV and enter the depressed state the programming sticks with you and your emotions respond automatically to the programming you received, because in your depressed state you are less able to form new emotions. Only the old, programmed emotions are able to resurface. That's the main reason why TV advertising is so effective.

TV advertisments usually feature some kind of familiar social situation, so that real-life situations can trigger the pre-programmed lizard-brain response. For example, "Oh, here comes a pretty girl. She won't like me unless I smell like Axe body spray."

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
"Think of the press as a great keyboard on which the government can play."

— Joseph Goebbels

"The minority, the ruling class at present, has the schools and press, usually the Church as well, under its thumb. This enables it to organize and sway the emotions of the masses, and make its tool of them."

— Albert Einstein

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
There are some very good points made here about why doing other things than watching TV such as going outside and doing something physical is more productive, obviously.

However, how is somebody who's watching a show any different then the millions of people throughout history who go to a play at the theatre?

Do you think what you watch and hear at a theatre is just as harmful considering how realistic technology is today in a lot of homes that can reproduce that theathre visual/audio experience?

Is going to a theatrical play and seeing a beautiful women on stage trigger anything different then if you saw it on a TV? Or, is TV more harmful or triggering more of that "reptilian brain" more then it did for Romans watching people slaughtered in a colloseum versus watching a horror flick?

Aside from becoming less physical and maybe less social I don't see TV increasing any primitive parts of the brain anymore then what we already see out in the real world already.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Being in Alpha state isn't a bad thing, it just depends on what you do with it. For the purposes of brainwashing or marketing though, it can be like being hypnotized where Neuro-Linguist Programing becomes easier as does suggestive manipulation. Watching TV you can almost get an idea of who is regurgitating what they think is a "style" of TV/film, and who is using this stuff specifically to manipulate -cough-politicians and the news-cough-

Theoritically, that article just scratched the surface of possible "brainwashing" methods that the TV is capable of. Most people don't talk about the fact that you can have a subliminal track of both audio & video going at all times that may or may not even be traceable with recording devices. Especially when you get into quantum theory kind of stuff & emf fields.

Everyone just has to remember, when it comes to mind tricks. Once you know of the trick, it's pretty much useless. Kind like the old "I got your nose!" magic trick people do to kids. But once the child realizes...uh my nose is still on my face. It doesn't work to well after that. Same thing with a lot of the lame-ass voodoo the people with money and power might try.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I haven't watched tv for years, I don't see a point anymore... the media is the biggest brainwash i've ever seen and I want nothing to do with it, I'd rather read and learn factual information then watch senseless shows infront of the tv.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by zarlaan

I would have to disagree with your statement about live shows being the same.
the difference, on TV, especially commercials and TV shows that rely heavily on special effects, is what are called "technical events", zoom ins, fades, jumping camera angles, etc, all these are designed to disrupt rational thought. Time it yourself, watch the average commercial, they contain technical events about every 5 seconds. This is nothing more than hypnosis.

This is the reason the limbic system is stimulated-the technology, not the content-they are still selling the same crap they always have, soap, pain relievers, cars, etc.

TV is first and foremost a selling tool, an indoor, lighted billboard with bells and whistles. It tells you what to spend your money on.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
but do you think aliens and extraterrestrials are watching tv right this instant

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
^ Do you think so?

Do you think they project thoughts through the T.V used on a subliminal level to control your thought patterns?

Moving on with the topic, to me...T.V is the ultimate waste of time...in most cases. There are a few shows out there that put your mind into some serious work, doing some serious thinking, but, the funny thing is...most people choose not to stimulate their brains. They choose to be lazy, foolish and gullible.

Ahh...how humanity baffles me.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join