It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Television: Awakening The Reptile Mind

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
It's pretty funny how everyone is soo above television in order to prove they're completely individual! I'm so much myself that I'm not even brainwashed by television like you are!
If you're wondering why people get angry when they hear you don't watch television, that's why. It sounds VERY arrogant, like you think you're way better than all the billions of people on earth, as well as your friends, who watch television.

And saying the "people in power" did this to us on purpose, lol seriously... I think whoever invented television was pretty benevolent in their purpose. I'm pretty sure they were trying to do the world a favor, don't be so ungrateful. The history channel as well as the science channel have many great shows. Well, most of you wouldn't know that because you don't watch I guess!

What would be more impressing, is being able to watch television and still be yourself. Which I think a lot of people have done. Yet who is to say what is people's true selves or not..

The concept of television is theater, which is not new, in an electronic box. Not just one show, but hundreds to choose from. It's not something demonic, however it can effect people.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I haven't watched TV ( except wherever someone had one on while I was there ) for over two decades. The reason I quit is still not clear... instinct, maybe.
Even so, I am ( and suspect always will be ) influenced by the TV I saw before that.
I used to think that TV was a tool of gut- level advertisements ; 'get this car and get that girl ', etc. I now know that there is more to it than that.
Some formulas I've noticed :
1. The person with the least rigid,most opened mind is a damn idiot... a loser. Think ' Gilligan's Island '.
2. The family is to be disrupted or destroyed, so that mom will go out and get a job and a credit card, I suppose.Think of those shows where dad is a fool whenever he is around. Mom is sensible and strong.

And so on.

Here's one of my strangest TV stories for ya...
I was camping at a very remote campground in the spectacular Gila wilderness of SW New Mexico.
I was angry that some bastard in a large RV was running his generator on this otherwise quiet afternoon.
I finally decided I would go over and give him a piece of my mind.
A window on the RV was open, and as I approached- I realized it was a very old couple sitting together watching TV.
Naturally, I gave up my idea of cursing them.
As I turned to walk away, I heard an announcer say, ' stay tuned to The Nature Channel for more of...'.

These people were actually watching The Nature Channel in the middle of a wilderness area !

What the hell ? I thought...

My kid doesn't have a TV ( except for movies ) and I find some reason to not let him stay long at freind's houses who do have them.
I only hope it helps.
Deep down, we all know that our own ' programming ' is too short, and that it's stupid to spend our time watching TV.
But, we do.
What's up ?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
What about computer monitors?

At least 60 percent of my waking hours are spent in front of my laptop's 4:3 LCD screen and my development box's widescreen LCD monitor, and I imagine quite a few of the people who post here are in a similar situation.

Of course there aren't as many commercials, especially with Adblock running, and most of the content is static except YouTube videos or the occasional game.

At night my wife and I watch movies on her laptop (the kiddo sleeps in a bedroom too near the living room for watching on the plasma screen) and the only ads seen are the occasional product placement in the movies themselves (Mac logos, bag of Doritos, can of Coke, etc.)

Do computer monitors have a similar effect? I searched on Google a bit and did not find anything relevant.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Vikturtle

I have not watched any t.v for about 4 months, and i have noticed i have been more motivated and find it easier to concentrate, also my self image has improved, I tryed to sit down and watch recently and i was discusted with what was on.. almost every two minutes someone was pushing opinions, and dont get me started on advertisements

Materialism and Consumerism is Everywhere but cutting tv and mainstream news out of my life has cleared my head of forcefed opinions to finally make up my own mind about things.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Exactly! I have told several people that I don't own a TV or watch one. I sold mine back in the 80's. Several people have snapped, "How do you get your news?!" When I tell them I read the news instead of listening to it, they look at me like I'm from the back side of the Moon. I try telling them it makes a big difference in someone talking at you, giving you prescribed information, or you actively seeking out information from multiple sources and reading it. I can tell they think I'm some kind of nut.

When I do catch some show on TV, at work, I can't hardly stand it. It is mindless junk. Even the educational shows seemed so dumbed down they are worthless.

When people want to discuss their shows and I have no idea what they are talking about, sometimes they will CONTINUE telling me about a show I have never seen or heard of.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
The internet can be compared to a TV as well. People are addicted to it and never leave forums. I limit my time both on the TV and Internet.

[edit on 24-8-2008 by Optix]

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vikturtle

I turned off my TV completely for six months at one time, it was amazing how my outlook on life changed and how my self-image improved. Strange, though, how people reacted when they found out and I couldn't discuss their programs with them. Some even seemed a little angry about it.

www.americanchronicle.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-8-2008 by Vikturtle]

so use that to your advantage, seem a little worried that they DO watch tv. Personally I treat TV addicts just like heroin addicts, with a respect that allows them to understand the issue and hopefully help them realize they have an addiction problem.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
if tv is awakening our reptile mind then my advice is to avoid reptiles, because whenever i watch tv even sporting event's i end up with rage and disgust wich can only be described as untrue...

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Television is both a drug and a programming tool.

Use it, but don't abuse it.

Buy buy buy, do do do and act act act.

Yeah, I've been camping too and seen RV folks all climb in the motor home after dinner to watch videos while the rest of us sit by the campfire and watch the stars and talk. Then they complain about us staying up too late after their movie's over and they run to ranger Rick to file a noise complaint.

That's why I prefer backpacking in the back country & mountains rather than staying at a public camp ground - no generators & less bs.

Maybe we should have 12 step programs for learning how to unplug the TV.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I don't watch TV as much as I listen to it. If only radio had more interesting programs to listen to - - instead of 10 songs played over and over.

Some people like background music - I like background talking. I now have XM radio in my car - and use internet radio.

The think that concerns me is Energy. Because I believe we are energy - everything is a form of energy - - how does the energy of electric appliances affect us?

Is it really what we choose to watch - and/or is it the electric energy interfering with our own energies?

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Television creates a flood of dopamine in a manner not unsimilar to taking a small amount of meth amphetamine or coc aine.

I personally limit my television now to occasional movies and science shows for the most part, currently I have no Tv whatsoever

But here is yet another thread that ties into directly the Toxic Overload theory I posted the other day

Toxic Overload

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Point taken, but i do disagree.... The one factor through all ages is "Alcahol" not TV.... Peoples all over the world have been doingthe most awfull things way before TV was invented. Booz has fuelled more hatred, self destruction, wars etc than anything...

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Well every culture in history has had some form of entertainment, even in simple plays, including the samurai, and of course the Shakespearian era in Europe.
The reason it has survived so long is because people enjoy watching it, so it makes sense that industry was built out of this and has become the powerhouse it is today, its because its what the people wanted.

BUT, there is a lot of crap out there today... mindless junk that people just sit down and watch because its what they have been injected to do.
BUT, I wouldnt trade anything for those fine artwork performances that provoke emotions that you have never experienced before.
Those films that make you think, or ask questions about.
The films that show you man at the most extreme points that I would never want to live, but am so heart bent watching it happen to someone else.
Stories of love, or heroism, or philosophy... just the movies that may bring a tear to your eye...

I would not give up all the crap that comes from entertainment, if meant giving up those few films that are true art forms... those films that actually interact with our "reptile minds."
Its why I chose to work in the industry...
so trust me, I know how much JUNK is out there, but lets not forget about the ART at the same time.

Thanks for listening,

-Odessy

posted on Aug, 25 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   

All my friends that I consider intelligent and bright, which is a small sum, don't watch T.V. at all. I on the other hand watch T.V. but it's either History, Discovery or Comedy Central. I usually look up sources online and match them up to Discovery though, sometimes even they make stuff up or try to scare people into believing somthing.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
The trick with any medium of communication is not in and of itself.
But the one interacting with it. To devoid any wonton effects one must
diligently and willingly use ones own analytical left brain and start sensoring that which is coming in with analytical reason of truth to the reality being purported.
Because there in lies the problem as once one as situated there oneself in front of the Rhombic square. They go in to a passive input only mode.
Hence no discipline of the mind can be had without willing intent.
Therefore those who wish to be sheeple will yield to the passive thought-forms whereas ones who do not will have happiness, joy and peace of mind

When one has reached transcendance of the Matrix Cube. They will be able to get up with complete ease and be able to switch of the TV whenever they so choose with no ill-affects of.. what if's

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
TV Programme.

TV Programming. Tv Programming. Tv Programming.

I think it was Marilyn Manson who once screamed 'God is in the TV', and it was Neil Gaiman in Small Gods, who wrote about the new Gods of the internet, television and such taking over the minds of mortals and destroying the values of yesterday.

I myself limit myself to animal/nature documentaries and comedy.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

'I'm not having a TV that pours Lizards into my house'

(Just watch the clip).

[edit on 9-2-2009 by mr-lizard]

[edit on 9-2-2009 by mr-lizard]

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
To project something that is essentially internal will only result in the circular route of the Blaming "evil" game.
Instead one should take there own responsibilty to change the scenery through mindful intent. Then the desired behavior will naturally follow.
Hence control the head and the body will follow

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Strange, though, how people reacted when they found out and I couldn't discuss their programs with them. Some even seemed a little angry about it.

Can't help but laugh a bit - but not a good laugh.
You wouldn't believe some of the responses I get from people in the States when I tell them I don't get their *favorite program* here where I live. (Like everywhere in the world should have All American sitcoms or Reality shows)
Typical reactions range from stunned, to non-belief, to down right insulting - and yes, angry.
Not only sad, but a bit frightening.

Then when I tell them I'd rather go to the beach or go out and explore all the artifacts and ruins here I get an even more negative reactions.

I've even asked some of them if they've bothered to visit their local museums or touristic spots - places of interest - and the response is almost always *Why? I live here*.

peace

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join