It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If there isn't room for everyone, who should live?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Let's say the human race reaches its population limit and there is no longer enough space or resources for everyone to live comfortably. Which groups do you think should be sacrificed first to make room for the rest of us? Basically, I'm curious as to which positive traits you value the most and which negative ones you think are least desirable for society and your species.

I probably haven't thought of every group that deserves consideration, but here's a start:

- People with commutable diseases
- People with very low IQs and/or some form of mental retardation
- People serving long prison sentences and death row inmates
- People with a history of serious health problems in their family
- People with severe physical defects and/or handicaps
- The elderly
- Unclaimed orphaned children
- Homosexuals
- The obese
- Lunatics
- People who require regular medical attention and/or prescription drugs
- Members of certain ethnic groups or religions (please explain if you choose this option)
- Illiterates
- The unemployed

So, who do you think should be the first to go?

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Do you have something against homosexuals? Becuase the way I see it is if we reached a population limit than it would be better to have homosexuals around because their not breeding.

Seriously why is there so much hatred over something so miniscule.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
This thread makes me very uncomfortable. Nothing positive can come from it.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FeedMeACat

First off, there is no 'room' problem on this planet. Have you ever taken a drive across the United States? There is so much land that is NOT developed yet that you can drive hours on end at 65 and see one or two small towns of less than 500. Sure, there's not much out there but the ROOM is definitely there. Also, water wouldn't be much of an issue if the corporations weren't allowed to dump their toxins into the rivers and lakes. You see, the people in charge there should be on your list.

Also, unemployment huh? What happens when 1,500 school teachers, many of whom are great, intelligent people, get laid off because the schools can't afford the gas to drive the kids to school? Yup, just whack them. They don't have a job.

You see, it's hate filled and not well thought out posts like this that I try to avoid. I know I am proliferating the hate by responding and adding more replies to the thread. Just think it out my friend and you may be surprised at what you find. You are being lied to and you are swallowing it like candy.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by FeedMeACat

They should be put on death row if they're serving a life sentence.

- Homosexuals

They don't reproduce so they're good!

- Lunatics

They'll reduce the population by killing people and/or theirselves.

- Members of certain ethnic groups or religions (please explain if you choose this option)

Certainly not. Besides, they start wars which cleanse the world of over population.

The first? All of these would be the first to go according to my answer about religions and war.

P.S- Not MY opinions. Just facts.

[edit on 8/12/2008 by ParaFreaky]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by theendisnear69
Do you have something against homosexuals? Becuase the way I see it is if we reached a population limit than it would be better to have homosexuals around because their not breeding.

Seriously why is there so much hatred over something so miniscule.

I don't have anything against homosexuals, but I figure some people would want that particular gene bred out of the human race if we were sacrificing certain groups for the good of the species. Even if we're out of room now, who's to say we won't colonize the stars or the oceans at some point? It would be no good if everyone were gay and therefore not breeding.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by dariousg

First off, there is no 'room' problem on this planet....

You see, it's hate filled and not well thought out posts like this that I try to avoid. I know I am proliferating the hate by responding and adding more replies to the thread. Just think it out my friend and you may be surprised at what you find. You are being lied to and you are swallowing it like candy.

I never said there is a "room" problem. The question I posed is purely philosophical (which is why it was posted on this particular board). I don't see why you think my question is filled with hatred either. I didn't state any level of hate (or even dislike) for anyone. I just threw out some groups that I thought people would say contribute little to society.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Which groups do you think should be sacrificed first to make room for the rest of us?

That means you don't belong to any of the groups you mentioned?

I probably haven't thought of every group that deserves consideration

So what makes you worth the saving?

and what would you do if your own son was socially handicapped but skilled enough to be a carpenter for example?

I really don't see much point for this thread, you should work for government, they are good too in dividing people ..

Edit- spelling

[edit on 12-8-2008 by Grey Magic]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
You fail to understand the problem, overpopulation. The people you offer up are neither the problem nor the solution. The problem is the group that is reproducing is not regulated in any way. China being the sole exception, they use taxation as a fiscal club to regulate their population growth. We neuter pets to prevent unwanted pregnancies, why not, you get one child, then both parents are neutered. This gives everyone a chance to continue their bloodline. Compare the enviromental footprint of a family with one child versus a family with eight or more children.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I humbly apologize then. I took your 'title' to mean something else then. You see, it's a common problem that was discussed thoroughly in my MBA program. Writing clear and concise subject titles and such will avoid misunderstands.

I guess it also depends on the mood of the reader. I was instantly put into a bad mood simply from the title.

Then the thought of singling out anyone for elimination got to me as well. Sorry if I upset you in any way. Just trying to explain why I responded in that way and why you will probably get more responses like that.

link   

Originally posted by FeedMeACat
Let's say the human race reaches its population limit and there is no longer enough space or resources for everyone to live comfortably. Which groups do you think should be sacrificed first to make room for the rest of us? Basically, I'm curious as to which positive traits you value the most and which negative ones you think are least desirable for society and your species.

I probably haven't thought of every group that deserves consideration, but here's a start:

- People with commutable diseases
- People with very low IQs and/or some form of mental retardation
- People with a history of serious health problems in their family
- People with severe physical defects and/or handicaps
- The elderly
- Unclaimed orphaned children
- Homosexuals
- The obese
- Lunatics
- People who require regular medical attention and/or prescription drugs
- Illiterates
- The unemployed

You should be the first to go!! :p

Homosexuals can adopt the orphans and obese people can eat the elderly. Thats two birds with one stone right dur!!

link   
I'd get rid of the people who wanted to get rid of people. You want a less populated earth, depopulate yourself.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Does it really matter? No matter who we get rid of, they're all going to reoccur in the future and we're probably going to overpopulate the world again. *Shudders*

[edit on 8/12/2008 by ParaFreaky]

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   

You should be ashamed to even think that people should be sacrificed to make room for others. This is like Nazi Germany all over again. Sacrificing people to make room for others is counterproductive and would put humanity on the wrong path with focus, resources, and efforts misused. Overpopulation should be a motivating factor and a reason for increasing education around the world so that human innovation can solve problems such as these. One solution that we have been working on is colonization of space and education would only help speed the process. Remember, to survive adaptation is key.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
what would you do if your own son was socially handicapped but skilled enough to be a carpenter for example?

I don't believe I mentioned people with social handicaps as candidates for elimination, so are you suggesting they ought to be included? And just to be clear, what exactly do you mean by that? People who are shy or have trouble adapting to social situations? I don't see why they should be sacrificed, especially if they posses marketable skills (like carpentry, as you suggested).

As far as the other element to your question, whether I'd be willing to sacrifice my own son (and, by extention, I suppose you'd ask the same about the rest of my family members or friends) for the good of society, I don't see any reason why not. It would be pretty selfish to think I'd get special privledges.

I really liked the post about how the obese people can eat the elderly!
What a solution.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
There is more than enough room to double or triple the population....but hypothetically id get rid of the west...EU...America blah blah....use more resources than anyone else.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
The ppl who even consider exterminating human life to address overpopulaion should be the first to volunteer to go!

Then we need to start letting the earth control population by natural selection. Quit trying to predict bad weather, quit trying to use antibiotics to prevent disease, quit trying to overcome famine. This was meant to control population in a natural way so that we prevent having to discuss things such as who should stay and who should go.

My two cents

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
All this talk of "no room" is bunk. A little algebra will show that the entire human race can fit inside a 1x1x1 mile cube or a 30x30 mile square with some head and elbow room to spare. The square is about the size of the county I live in.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
To be honest, this thread wasn't going to go anywhere from the start. I think a lot of people have got really up in arms about this, giving its connotation to Nazi's and Eugenics.

However I don't think OP was suggesting we make a plan and start killing off people, its just a thought experiment, and personally I feel its a very interesting one.

So let me rephrase it in a slightly less risque way.

"What human traits do you value the most?"

But then the answers to such a question are rather evident - Compassion, Intelligence, Adaptability, Competence, Humour and Imagination.

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Any and all religious people should be the first go, especially those of religions who forbid the use of birth control.

Retards should go.

Anyone serving prison sentences of 5 years or longer should go.

Ethnic groups that show to be of lower intelligence should go.

Anyone convicted of rape, child molestation, animal abuse, or murder should go.

The mentally ill should go.

I'd also advocate anyone who disagrees with me should go too, but I might have a hard time getting that one accepted.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join