It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War in Georgia

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

To win the PR and information war. That is what Saakashvilli has been trying to do from the start.

False offical Georgian claims so far:

5 Russian aircraft shot down (only 2 in reality).

60 Russian Spetznaz killed by Georgians in Tskhinvalli.

News on the 9th that Georgian troops were still holding Tskhinvalli, when in fact they were quickly retreating south.

News that Tbilisi was bombed. In reality only the airport was bombed, outside the city.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Everyone hold on for a minute.I saw in the news bombed houses etc.
Maloy are you sure about the military targets?

If i'm wrong i'm waiting for the info but i really doubt i can be wrong on that.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Oceanborn

Yes houses were hit back 2 days ago, likely by accident. Air strikes were against Georgian troops all around the city, staging their last attack on Tskhinvalli on the 9th. But nothing from the current "fight" as of yet.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Apparently, "activity" is occurring in Gori.
Sky cannot confirm the so called "massive attack", but reports have been confirmed about Georgian forces being "dugged in" and taking up positions in Gori.

[edit on 10-8-2008 by infinite]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Abkhazia has intense fighting too, but we are not getting any reports on British and European media. Any update?

Georgia is not respecting its own ceasefire either. They've simply moved to Gori and shelling Russian positions from there.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
OK- LATEST RUSSIAN UPDATE IS FINALLY IN:

Russian news source Lenta.ru states that Georgian military positions in Gori are being shelled by Russian military (however it again relies on Georgian sources). Georgian positions are also shelling and firing at Russian positions in S. Ossetia from Gori. No Russian tanks in Gori at this point.

Basically it looks like both sides are trading heavy artillery fire. That is why it seems like there is a "battle for the city". Even Georgian sources do not confirm that Russian tanks are in the city.

The Russian defense minister did not confirm nor deny the above claims.

lenta.ru...

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Well,in one hand i understand that they wanted to protect their soldiers but in the other hand an air strike in a city is definatelly gonna end up with civilian casualties.

Anyway,i heard in the news that the russian side said that they're willing to listen to peace talks.Is it true?

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oceanborn
Anyway,i heard in the news that the russian side said that they're willing to listen to peace talks.Is it true?

Only if Georgian troops cease fire. Also Russia stated that it is unwilling to talk with Saakashvilli because he murdered thousands of civilians in Tskhinvalli. If there are peace talks it would have to be done through a third party moderator.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
So now it gets even more interesting.Russia did offer to listen so it's up to Georgia.

Let's see how things will go from now on.

Once again,good job guys!

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Well sounds like this conflict is simmering down which is good.

Fingers crossed! (ps - i feel really #ty for the civilians who pay for their govt's actions.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by damagemouse

May I ask, where did you get the notion that this is simmering down? I haven't heard of reports of troops going home or a cease fire.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by damagemouse

Really?

Both sides shelling each other in Gori isn't signs of the war slowing down. Georgian forces have no intention of a cease-fire and, according to reports, have forced Russia out of South Ossetia into Gori.

We've probably got another week of this.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I would say that Geogia wtihdrawing its troops and agreeing to a cease-fire means things are simmering down. A lot fo you on here are kids and dont know a lot about how these things work, but usually things on the battelfield take a lot longer than the agreements on paper. Its juts a matter of time- and yes it will be simmering down.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
An American in Georgia telling reporters on what is happing there...www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I shall post the following link yet again:

streaming.visionip.tv...

They are broadcasting about the situation non-stop, recaps every now and then and new LIVE stuff every now and then as well.

According to them Georgian soldiers have indeed fled the capital but there might still be mines / snipers left (Russians are clearing it now.)

I also have to ROFL at that part where you see Georgian President having a phonecall with someone else, where he's pointing at the map saying how georgian forces retreated out of the region.

He said something like "When they finished the task of clean.. they're out now."

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
There are unconfirmed reports in Russia questioning the state of mind and wellbeing of Saakashvilli. Georgian undisclosed sources close to the president have supposedly said that Saakashvilli was in a state of severe psychological stress, and is possibly on the verge of a full nervous breakdown. He was seen shaking when he got back to Tbilisi. It could be just overexhaustion as he just came back from visiting troops near the front line.

Maybe it is nothing more than Russia starting its own spin, to prove that Saakashvilli needs to be removed from power.

In his televised addresses for the last 2 days he did seem somewhat stressed out anxious. When was his last televized appearance? If he is ready to break - what will that mean for the conflict and for Georgia?

Perhaps it would be better for all sides involved if he was immediately removed from power by the Georgian parliament, and a temporary government composed of members of Georgian Parliament placed in power to begin conducting peace talks with Russia.

I have a hard time seeing Saakashvilli remain in power for long after this.

[edit on 10-8-2008 by maloy]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by maloy
Perhaps it would be better for all sides involved if he was immediately removed from power by the Georgian parliament, and a temporary government composed of members of Georgian Parliament placed in power to begin conducting peace talks with Russia.

Perhaps it would be better, but *will* it happen?
The last UN Security Council debate that I followed on Russia Today showed most countries blaming either both sides, or mostly Russia.

Also funny how they only talk about the military action, and not about the supposed casualties that are taking place.

4 Debates long I have heard the same stuff.
"We are deeply concerned"
"You must cease-fire"
"Russia has gone too far" or "Russia has gone too far and Georgia has gone too far"

If you ask me these debates are leading nowhere, and as I see the situation down there there won't be anything special happening very soon.

[edit on 10/8/08 by -0mega-]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by -0mega-
Perhaps it would be better, but will it happen?

Massive opposition protest is gathering right now in Tbilisi, to protest Saakashvilli. Russian reporter and cameramen trying to film the gethering were beaten up and chased away by a pro-Saakashvilli mob. Lots of people on the streets of Tbilisi. Looks more and more like a possible civil outbreak.

The last UN Security Council debate that I followed on Russia Today showed most countries blaming either both sides, or mostly Russia.

Who cares about the Security Council. It is stamped with a huge VETO across its head.

Also funny how they only talk about the military action, and not about the supposed casualties that are taking place.

Georgian civilian casualty figure still stands bellow 100. Georgia is not releasing info on military.

4 Debates long I have heard the same stuff.
"We are deeply concerned"

Were they concerned when Georgia leveled Tskhinvali and its civilian population?

"You must cease-fire"

Quote of the day - usually used to indicate that Georgia is getting ready to shell enemy positions with artillery.

"Russia has gone too far" or "Russia has gone too far and Georgia has gone too far"

Far? Tskhinvali is only 30 miles from the Russian border.

If you ask me these debates are leading nowhere.

Bingo. They dance around the real issue - WTF is Georgia going.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
With ''too far'' they meant the actions of the russians.

Georgia reports about Russia attacking civilian locations right? Well that's what they mean with ''too far'', that russia is no longer on just a peacekeeping operation. (According to those at the UN)

And with concerned they meant "the russian & georgian actions" of violence.

[edit on 10/8/08 by -0mega-]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by -0mega-

I know what they mean. I am just replying ironically to show how retarded these arguements are.

new topics

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join