It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War in Georgia

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I would like to address the accusations of bias and russian propaganda.

The facts speak for themselves.

1) the 1992 peace agreement obligates Russia to maintain a peacekeeping force in South Ossetia and to mediate between South Ossetia and Georgia.

2) 60-70 percent of the population in South Ossetia are russian citizens.

3) Georgia started shelling the South Ossetian capital before Russia sent troops into South Ossetia.

4) Georgia moved troops into South Ossetia, killing russian citizens and russian peacekeepers, before Russia sent troops into South Ossetia.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by aaa2500

I think everyone who knows the facts already know the truth about what's going on. Everyone else will continue to view this from their side of the spectrum.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The US is in kind of a hard place with this one; Georgia is an American ally with (yesterday) a couple thousand troops in Iraq. Troops that have had training by the US forces. I can see how these newly trained troops would be very self-confident, and wanting to win a scrap with Russia. They attacked, and Russia responded. I do not know what is going down with Iran and Israel, but they WILL attack Iran, and probably a bunch of others simultaeously. It will be over before any major players can get involved. The key Israeli's are saying this. And when that happens, IMO the supply of terrorists and weapons into Iraq will vanish.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
You know, if it wasn't so serious, this would be funny

Georgia Move fails to halt raids

Meanwhile, there the US clashed with Russia at the United Nations Security Council, accusing it of seeking "regime change" in Georgia.

The US ambassador to the UN, Zalmay Khalilzad, quoted Russia's foreign minister saying Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili "must go".

He asked his Russian counterpart, Vitaly Churkin: "Is the goal of the Russian Federation to change the leadership of Georgia?"

Pot....kettle....black........

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I just seen on the 10 o'clock bbc news a bbc news crew being fired upon by a russian plane. Nobody was hurt but whats all that about?

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

Well,
Skynews is reporting claims that Russian tanks are travelling south of South Ossetia, probably on route to Gori.

Maloy maybe right about Russian heading to Tbilisi

[edit on 10-8-2008 by infinite]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I'd be very surprised if Russia continues into Gori. Very bad news if they do.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Th0r

All I know is that the tanks have travelled outside South Ossetia, reports earlier in the day suggested Russian troops were heading to Gori. Georgian forces are taking up defensive positions.

Russia has been bombing Gori throughout the day, so it is not surprising if the Russian army plan to take the city.

[edit on 10-8-2008 by infinite]

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Just as an aside - to our american friends - what you are feeling and experiencing now about this conflict is what alot of people around the world experienced and felt when the invasion of Iraq began. Uncertainty, fear and a whole load of speculation about motives.

This may indeed be Russia's Iraq. It looks like a land grab for geo-political reasons, with a convinient back story based on "terrorism".

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Most reports state that Russian Tanks are moving towards Gori where the border is, but not that they have already crossed the border.

Alternatively the Russian side reports that Georgians are engaging in provocation warefare, by concentrating quick artillery strikes against Russian possitions. If they are firing from Gori they need to be taken out, which is where the air force comes in and recent reports of bombing.

www.rosbalt.ru...

All thats left to do and sit and watch.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Skynews:

Georgia Interior Ministry report Russia has launched a massive attack on Gori, think we've just found were the tanks were heading.

There is nothing we can do. We invade Iraq and America will need Russia to deal with Iran. In other words, basic terms, Georgia is alone.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Links!! Please provide links!

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Th0r

Its breaking,
you'll have to turn it on to Skynews if you're in the UK.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Skynews:

Georgia Interior Ministry report Russia has launched a massive attack on Gori, think we've just found were the tanks were heading.

There is nothing we can do. We invade Iraq and America will need Russia to deal with Iran. In other words, basic terms, Georgia is alone.

Can you provide the links?

If this is true I was wrong. But I not see them attacking the city, because they won't be able to hold it without an all out war.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I just tuned to Sky News AUS and they said the same thing, but maybe just hearsay at the moment.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
According to sky news they are relying on the Georgian Information Ministry. A lot of good that will do them.

Aren't there BBC and Reuters reporters in Gori? Where is their footage? Where are their updates?

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by maloy

Sure:

The Georgian city of Gori is under "massive" attack from Russian artillery and planes and ground forces are preparing for an assault, a Georgian interior ministry spokesman has told the AFP news agency.

Skynews

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by maloy

They've fled. Hours ago.

BBC and Skynews reporters have relocated to Tbilisi. We'll have to wait and see if the Georgian reports are true.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by maloy

Honestly, what would be the benefit of saying you are getting attacked and no one is attacking you?

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Well I wouldn't rely on the Georgian Information Ministry releases just yet. To them a Russian air strike against military targets is "massive attack on the city".

And once again - Westerners seeing tanks on the move could easily confuse Russian and Georgian tanks. They are on the same road, headed in the same direction.

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join