It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mini 14, Bushmaster or Kalashnikov...which makes the most sense for all around survival weapon?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Illahee

You linked in a site that carries my favorite overall combat rifle in the first linked site. FN/FAL Imbel .308

For the money this is one of the best rifles for combat made. It has a well bedded upper and it is chambered in a standard NATO round. These have a very good accurate rapid fire rate for a semi-auto.

AKs are not bad rifles and neither is the Mini-14 or the Bushmaster but if you want one combat rifle that will get you accurate shots out to 400 meters the FN/FAL is the rifle.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I found my next rifle. Check out this Romanian Bullpup AK Rifle, 7.62x39 caliber The price they list is $499 and it is chambered in the same caliber as the AK and with the bullpup design this one should be fun to shoot up a bunch of surplus ammo.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Due to a recent burglary, the only rifles I have left is a sporterized 1903 Mk1 and an off-brand $100 junior-sized 410. The 1903 is the ugliest piece of gun you could ever see, and the 410 looks like a toy, so the bad-guys went for the flash. Unfortunately, my M25 'Whitefeather' was in the cabinet.

However, my 'ugly stick' 1903 shoots just as well, or better, than my whitefeather did. And there i at least a $3000 difference in the two. I also have a .308 barrel for my 1903 that takes takes minutes to change out if needed.

The 410 is my first gun (christmas present at age 6) so it's the one that was worth the most to me. I'm not sure what a Whitefeather goes for now, but I'm glad it went instead.

My current plan is to get a modern M1A carbine, and a glock .40. .30-06 is the round for me. and the .40 is what I'm familiar with.

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I prefer my Saiga AK-47 but would love to get an M-2 grenade launcher. It can launch 6 hellfire grenades 2 football fields,thru a steel door and take out all personnel in the room with one shot.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
So I finally made my choice today fellas.

Out of all of the research and getting advice I finally decided to add a new addition to the collection. I placed the order through my FFL dealer here locally and should have it in hand within 7-10 business days.

I passed on the Romy in favor of the Bulgarian model....better reviews and higher quality componants. It only cost a little more for a better product. I cant wait to take it out for a spin.

Bulgarian AK-47 SSR85C2 7.62x39

[edit on 10/15/08 by BlackOps719]

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by UFOTECH
AKs are not bad rifles and neither is the Mini-14 or the Bushmaster but if you want one combat rifle that will get you accurate shots out to 400 meters the FN/FAL is the rifle.

How accurate is accurate? I do recall hitting a full size human silhouette target with an AK from 400m. Not easy, but doable.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I think it has more to do with who is firing the weapon and how accurately it has been sighted than it doors what brand of weapon being used.

But I give you props, 400m with any AK is dead eye.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Good choice on the AK! I hope you get lots of practical and reliable use from it.
I personally chose an all weather Mini-30. Longer range, accuracy, and American made. I actually use it yearly as a sort of varmint rifle. I would use it to hunt for a meal any day. I wouldn't take bets on it working properly if buried in mud for a few days though, like I would on your AK.
Good catch!

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
But I give you props, 400m with any AK is dead eye.

Thanks, I don't quite deserve it:
a) probably a lucky shot

b) the weapon was indeed well sighted because at 100m there was just the first bullet hit right away
c) I was in prone position with the weapon rested

Congrats with your purchase. I miss this baby.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

Thanks.. I am plenty excited...I feel like a little kid on Christmas..haha.

This will be my first and only AK...I used to own an SKS but that is not the same animal. I have several other rifles and a couple of shotties and hand guns, but this one is already my favorite by far.

I have always admired the sleek look and the design quality. I figure if I am to only carry one weapon into the fray it will be this one. It even comes fitted with bayonette.

I will never die from the lack of ability to fire back..that is for sure

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I have the Bushmaster M4A3, its an excellent carbine, I have shot about 800 rounds through it and it has not jammed/double fed once (and I shoot the cheap wolf ammo) the SOCOM II is an excellent battle rifle but in a survival situation, I think I would prefer my M4 with possibly a .17 HMR for small game

Sailor

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
Thanks.. I am plenty excited...I feel like a little kid on Christmas..haha.

I never liked the kick, though. Too rough for me.

It even comes fitted with bayonette.

Which, you know, doubles as a survival knife in a pinch (blade, saw and you can attach the sheath to form shears, good for barbed wire). Russian MP carry those on the belt as standard personal weapon.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
For what it is worth I think you made a really good choice. I have a sickness, I need guns to keep that sickness in check, so I try to have one of everything. However if I were to choose between the three you wanted the AK hands down would be my choice. I love my bushmaster, it is accurate, and has never once jammed on me. I love me mini 14 and mini 30, they are fun to shoot, but leave a little to be desired in the accuracy category and I have yet to find any mags besides the five round that came with it that dont jam. But if I were heading out the door in a survival situation I would grab my AK.

That isnt entirely true I would grab my SOCOM, but that wasnt part of your choices.

As far as ammo shortages, I have never had trouble finding 7.62 ammo, and it is cheaper then .223. Trying to find ammo in a SHTF scenario is a moot point in my opinion as you should have the ammo already when it hits the fan.

Get out and shoot that gun, shoot it and shoot and shoot. Sleep with it, become familiar with it, get to the point where you know every part of it, and you could put it back together in your sleep if need be.

keep it close at all times, the way things are going you may need it. I carry a different rifle with me sometimes, today was bring your M1carbine to work day
. That old girl spent sometime in europe in WW2, I hope that was the last of the action she will see.

posted on Nov, 10 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

The Ruger mini's should be considered extraordinarily reliable! The Garand style trigger group and mil-spec construction make these some "bullet slinging machines". However their downfall is long range accuracy. While more accurate than the ak's, they might not compete with the AR's past 200yds. (Not that i would be able to tell a difference, a miss is a miss). If needed for hunting, i muast recommend a mini thirty instead of a 14, as the .223 may not stop a dear, or other large game as effectively. Have no experience with the Kmini 6.8, but have heard great things about them!

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Actually, the question "which makes the most sense for all around survival weapon?" doesn't involve a rifle at all, let alone an "ugly, intimidating-looking assault-type" rifle. A 12 gauge pump action shotgun with 3 interchangeable barrels.........a 26 or 28 inch with choke tubes, a 24 inch rifled slug barrel with rifle sights, and an 18.5 inch cylinder bore barrel will both put meat on the table (small game to large) and amply provide for defense at ranges out to 100 meters.

A Mossberg 500 springs to mind as an affordable option. In the configuration I mention it can handle hunting everything from small game and birds up to large game at relatively reasonable ranges (in a survival situation, that includes things like sheep and cows). With slugs and 00 buckshot it is an effective anti-personnel weapon as well.

I sense, however, that you want some idiotic and intimidating-looking but otherwise useless assault rifle to defend yourself against the starving hordes. I see that you have settled on a Bulgarian AK. Best of luck to you. You deserve what you get.

posted on Nov, 20 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by RR98

Yes...and good luck lugging three different shotgun barrels around, not to mention 3-4 different types of shotgun shells for all of your various hunting/defending scenarios. Could get to be a burden when you are constantly on the move.

I actually own a twelve guage Mossberg because I understand what a great, versatile weapon that it is. But in a sit X where I could only grab one weapon it would be the AK. It offers reliability, a 30 round clip, will take down large game and serves as a superior weapon for defense. It is also easily field stripped and cleaned being that it has only a couple of main parts.

Not to mention that a shotgun is a very close range weapon and virtually useless outside of a small limited range of fire. I would rather not be right up underneath who or what ever I am shooting at if I have the choice. Good luck with that.

The only thing you lose out on with the AK is the ability to fire on small animals for food. This is why trapping and fishing are so very important. If you are relying on killing squirrels as your main source of food then you are in trouble already.

Nope, I like my odds. You do it your way and I'll do it mine.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
the bowie knife.
I am serious. It is much more useful than any of these guns.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by RR98

Shotguns weigh too much, and have more recoil than your average assault rifle. That is one reason why they were not one of the choices in this thread. Small capacity and low accuracy make them worthless in a survival situation unless your planning on staying in your house. You'll be screwed if you do though.
Another good choice for reliability and good accuracy is the Isreali Galil. You can get it chambered in 5.56 and 7.62 nato. A little more expensive, but theres a reason they are the most widely used assault weapon in history. They keep going with very little maintenance.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mahasvin
the bowie knife.
I am serious. It is much more useful than any of these guns.

I want to see you take down a 700 pound bull Elk, or a 400 pound Black Bear with your bowie.
My money will be on them and not you!

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

Tundra wolves eat mice, mate. Big elks are difficult to handle (no cars, remember). A bowie can make a hart or small deer. I will never challenge the bear. In case of close neighbourhood with aggressive bear I will rather change the camp.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join