It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mini 14, Bushmaster or Kalashnikov...which makes the most sense for all around survival weapon?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by crgintx

Here's a link to the latest bear attack and it was only 150 lbs.

cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com...

[edit on 3-8-2008 by crgintx]

[edit on 3-8-2008 by crgintx]

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by crgintx

Yeah it's been all over fox news for the past couple of days. Black bears are a scavenger by nature and a predator by need only. The only reason that there were more deaths by them is because there are more of them than any other predator combined.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Yeah, but the 1911 clones usually cost more for a good quality weapon than an XD. Plus half the capacity in the mag. If i was to buy a .45 based on cost and quality i would get a Ruger p-series. My brother in law had one and it shot very nice.

I picked up a Kimber Custom II 2 months ago......no complaints.
I may get the .22 conversion for it. .45ACP is .40c.round in bulk.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinktip

Get it from cabelas and you can get it for about 31 cents a round.
And you get free ammo cans as well. 38 cents for lead round nose.

[edit on 3-8-2008 by Anuubis]

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

The tax stamp is federal and it may be only two hundred. It has been several years ago that I saw the rifle.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by reluctantpawn

They probably added a hundred or so as fees for the paperwork etc. I'm trying to keep things to the point that if I moved back to Kalifornia I would only need to sell off a bit of ammo and some magazines to remain in compliance there. My assault style rifles are registered there already. Can't bring anything new, but the two I have are fine for weekends at the range anyways. Not those fancy awesome looking sort of rifles, just different enough to come under Kal-commie control according to the paperwork.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
A guy brought his 30 year old Mini 14 to the shooting range last weekend. The bolt was rusted shut. We broke it open with a hammer, using a glove to avoid scratching it. We then sprayed on a little lubrication and didn't even bother to clean it. The rifle fired flawlessy all afternoon. It was plenty accurate too. It does have a lot of kick, but I think this guy's gun should say something to you all about the reliability and durability of the Ruger Mini 14. I'm pretty sure that's the next rifle I'm going to buy.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Illahee

I'd rather stay here in idaho where i have no limits to what i own.
With a federal permit or class 3 FFL i can own automatic weapons if i want.

posted on Aug, 11 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

just some info the mini 14 is mil spec it is rated out of the factory to fire 5.56 and 223

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

Not to hijack, didn't semm necessary to start another thread....

Anuubis or Others.....Can you give me a crash course on the .220Swift?

Winchester Model 54 Target Bull.

I know it's a hot round.....Nasty kick?, Rounds expensive?, I heard reloading can be tricky becuase cracked brass can be an issue?
Burned out rifiling? (all rumors, I need facts

I'm looking for a 500yrd varmit rifle........

Any other info appreciated. Thanks!

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
The .220 Swift at full load is a barrel burner. If you want a round that will reach out farther, I'd go with the 6.5 x.284 Winchester or even the 6mm Remington or Winchester over the .220 Swift. The 6.5 mm bullets in 140-142 grain and the 6mm bullets in 105 grain weights are going to have a lot less wind drift than even the heaviest .22 bullets driven at 3600+ fps which is difficult even with an Ackley Improved Swift. A shooting buddy uses .105-120 grain bullets in 6.5mm in the new .260 Remington(6.5mm x .308 Winchester) with very good accuracy out to 600 yards. For varmint hunting, long range accuracy is far more important than velocity. The Swift was a far more difficult cartridge to wring accuracy from than its main rival, the 22-250 Savage which nearly matches its ballistic performance with a much smaller case and shot very accurately right out of the box. Another very accurate varmint round is the 6mm Benchrest which is based on the .308 case but is shortened to 1.5 inches in length.

Alas, so many cartridges , so little time!

posted on Aug, 12 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinktip

The .243 is a good cartridge. I don't know how they are past 500 yards, but up to that point they are very accurate. A cartridge that is really good but harder to find weapons chambered for it is the 6.5 mm Grendel. It has the balistic properties of a .308, but recoil is only slightly higher than a .223.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Stick with Bushmaster but use aluminum upper and lower receiver

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
reply to post by himself

Frank DeSomma cured the cleaning problem with the FAL style gas piston upper. Check out the P-415/416's at pof-usa.com. But the only problem is the price. As far as parts for a mini-14, they are everywhere. You just have to look. Tapco has a very nice stock that gives it the feel of an AR. I have one on mine and i like it, and it's only a hundred bucks.

Thanks.
Either I've been hacked or the forum has been hacked, so I have not been responding lately.

I appreciate the reference.

Lost two computers to sudden internet active/death lately so am a bit paranoid.
Sorry.
Hope I just have bad wiring or lightening strikes nearby.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by himself

Hopefully the government isn't hacking in. Wouldn't surprise me if they aren't trying to mess with us survivalists. You know they would never do that

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I'm partial to bolt action rifles for several reasons.

In a situation x..Say War in the homeland, you don't want to be seen, at all, ever. So I'd stick it out with my Browning BBR .270 win with silver tip bullets. It has a ten x scope and the rifle itself is extremely accurate up to 250 yards. The bullets can be used on small game and can also be used larger game as it is a good mid-sized round with very common availability. American gun, durability is very good provided you have a simple cleaning kit.

[edit on 21-8-2008 by projectvxn]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I like my Savage M111 30-06 also. But if you get in a situation against multiple targets and need multiple shots quickly, then you'll want a semi-auto with high capacity also.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

You may have one advantage that they don't, concealment. I would only take a shot if one or two got too close to my camp and I would have people constantly watching.. I'm a survivalist in many respects, there are plans in the works for me, and if you live in a similar area you may be able to use the advice..I say the more ideas out there the better.

Personally I would have a long range weapon like the AR 50, with a p-90 as a sidearm(Yes they are small enough that this is doable.)

posted on Aug, 22 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I have the advantage of knowing about fifty square miles of mountains that surround the town i live in like the back of my hand. I hunt every possible minute i can.

My weapons consist of a Savage 111 30-06 with a Tasco mag 4 4-16by40 scope for long range, a Ruger Mini14 with a Tapco collapsible stock and a crapload of 30rnd mags for CQB, and a Ruger P95dc 9mm for really close out to 150yds. And a whole lot of ammo.

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join