It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mini 14, Bushmaster or Kalashnikov...which makes the most sense for all around survival weapon?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by reluctantpawn
I will say it again in a "survival" situation you can't beat a .22 rifle. If it is defense situation that is a different story.

respppectfully

reluctantpawn

It is one of the best weapons for a defense situation. Accurate enough for aimed shots out to 200 yards and still have the power to kill a man. It's quiet enough so in the same situation it would be very hard to locate your position.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I won't argue that but did not want to open that can of worms. Most people will not be shooting bear' elk or deer. I think squirrels, rabbits, and birds will be the easiest prey. For me why hunt at all, when trapping is a better use of time and materials. Too many people just don't realixe what it takes to live in the bush.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by reluctantpawn

Well i'll open it for you
To optimize survival people need to learn to do both trapping and hunting.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I will agree. I will also saythat the lowly .22 long raked up a lot of kills in Vietnam. It is indeed a most versatile round.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Yep, carlos hathcock made most of his 93 confirmed kills with a modified ruger 10/22.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I had a chance to buy a silenced 77/22. But man the tax stamp was hard to swallow. It was however a very sweet firearm. All you heard was the trigger snap.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   

How much was the stamp?

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
www.ableammo.com...
For all you AK fans check out the bullpup

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
www.ableammo.com...
For all you AK fans check out the bullpup

A buddy of mine has one he built with the kit and it ended up being spendy as far as the kit and time when he could have bought a complete one much cheaper. He said the magazines are kind of a problem and only the tanker mags were very easy to use with it. I never shot his, so I couldn't say either way.

The bull pup is a cool look though.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis

How much was the stamp?

Its always two notes for the hush puppy. I heard they may revamp the whole tax thing a bit so its cheaper and then ban more guns at the same time. You need Daniel Webster to read the laws for you these days.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by reluctantpawn
I won't argue that but did not want to open that can of worms. Most people will not be shooting bear' elk or deer. I think squirrels, rabbits, and birds will be the easiest prey. For me why hunt at all, when trapping is a better use of time and materials. Too many people just don't realixe what it takes to live in the bush.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

Exactly....I think most of the shooting will be done at the two legged variety of critter. It would be nice to have a good rifle that could be used well for each purpose, but I agree that trapping and above that fishing would be a better way to go. Not to say there wouldn't be deer and larger game that would be abundant but tough to trap.

This is when having a .22 would make no sense.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

In all honesty I don't remember but I believe it was three hundred above the cost of the rifle. No class 3 licennse required. I didn't know at the time that a license was not required for a silenced weapon.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   

The .22-250 shoots a lot faster and flatter than a .223 but is 2 to 3 times more expensive to shoot. Oh and get a Savage Tactical, they're a lot more accurate and a lot cheaper.

I should have been more specific, it was the 700P. What range would a police tatical .223 be used for? Mainly Urban? 300yrds?

I've owned a BDL in .270 and found it very accurate.

Thanks!

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Illahee

I was thinking about getting a bullpup stock for my mini-14 but it said in the catalog that certain mags won't work in it. I didn't want to risk my 30 rounders not fitting and then having wasted $100.
The last time i checked here in Idaho it was $200 for the pemit with no liscence requirements.

[edit on 3-8-2008 by Anuubis]

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinktip

Most swat snipers are trained for shooting no more than 100 yards. In an urban setting most shots are about 30 or 40 yards so a .223 would be fine.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
for small game a 20 ga. is pretty hard to beat as well for
Survivalists . or a sweet 16. if you load your own not too expensive

I have so much ammo for the .20 I don't perceive ever needing anymore

I have a woods .22 semi auto pistol and a star semi auto.22 as well
I don't really care for the .22 they are accurate and cheap to fire but
not my bag.

trapping and snaring is the best way to go for gathering food.Silent
your catching supper while your getting the fire wood gathered up.

and don't forget the mainstay fishing line and hooks
line and hooks and a coil of rabbit wire and a 12ga is a nice combo

cord tied to 1 gal Javel bottles appropriate length of fishing line and 4 hooks per rig
you will catch plenty of fish

bit it depends on where you live I wouldn't eat the fish in many places.polluted rivers and lakes i would have to be next to starving to eat them.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by solo1

The only problem with a shotgun is you have to get close. You won't always have that option. And if your going to be that close anyways you're better off using a bow or crossbow. A lot more quiet. If your shooting at game all the time with a rifle or shotgun then they will eventually move to a different area.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

The 7.62x25 mm Tokarev is the hotter Russian version of the 7.62 Mauser. It will push 85-90 grain .308 caliber bullets at about 1600 fps vs. the Mauser's 1400 fps. The original smokeless pistol cartridge, the .30 Borchardt is the father cartridge of the 7.62 Mauser, 7.63 Luger, and the 9mm/.38 ACP family of cartridges.

If you get a chance to pickup a CZ-52 or TT-33 Tokarev pistol, you should do it. It's got a bit more muzzle blast the 9mm but recoil is pretty mild compared to .357 Magnum or even 9mm+P. Surplus ammo for it is dirt cheap. Wolf Ammo now loads hollow point ammo for it as well. The cartridge is pretty versatile. I load 100 grain .308 Speer Plinker bullets to about 1300 fps in it and they work darn good and just about any game out to 50 yards.

A couple of friends have the .45 Springfield XD's and they love them. If I were to buy a .45 ACP pistol, I'd go with one of the numerous Gov't Model clones like a Kimber. Just like the heft of the gun as compared to any of the polymer guns.

[edit on 3-8-2008 by crgintx]

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by crgintx

Yeah, but the 1911 clones usually cost more for a good quality weapon than an XD. Plus half the capacity in the mag. If i was to buy a .45 based on cost and quality i would get a Ruger p-series. My brother in law had one and it shot very nice.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

There are an estimated 1 million black bear living in North America. Most are shy around humans but young males are often forced by older bears into regions where they will contact humans. As one wild life biologist put it, anyone who generalizes about black bears is an idiot. They are unique individuals and should be treated with the respect you would give an African lion or tiger. They are the apex predator for most of North America. I saw a recent bear harvested in the mountains of NC that weighed in at over 800 lbs. There was a larger one harvested along the Texas-New Mexico border in the mountains that was a cattle killer that weighed in at over 900 lbs but this was nearly 100 years ago. If I recall correctly, black bears have killed more humans on record than any other wild predator in the US over the last 100 years. Grizzlies get all the attention but black bears are the nice guy serial killers who live next door.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join