It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Alien Structures on Eros And Miranda! Whodunit?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
Yes, I am consistent, but I have no problem in changing my mind if I find I was wrong.

Well when we get that saucer finished I will swing by and take you up there...

Gotta leave your camera at home though... wouldn't want 'them' to get upset

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I think there is a lot of imagination going on here...

Why the heck would such an advanced civilization only have one building? If they are intelligent- well, one of the marks of such is to be curious of ones surroundings- including, yes, telescopes, microscopes and travel. So if there are all of these smart creatures- where is the proof?

No towers, no communications, no observatories, no health centers or vehicles or even cultural huts. If they can dig- as in dig massive underground networks- where are their tools, their vehicles, their machines? If they can build a building 4km wide, where are their trucks, or fields of workers, or huts for the workers to live in? If they are mining something, where are the piles of rocks or minerals that they are digging for and where are the refineries to purify what is being mined? And if it is being mined, what for, as I don't see anything else around it? Take a picture of even the most rudimentary cities from a ways off and you can still detect evidence that there is life there.

I don't buy this... it is kinda like if someone orbiting earth took a picture of the grand canyon, the blue ridge mountains, or any other area where natural structures are abundant. That object could simply be there, be a subject of plate movements under the planet, volcanic eruptions, meteor or asteroid strikes (remember... less atmosphere= less resistance to incoming debris= they won't fragment or burn up and can do more damage).

Put me in the category of "I'd like to believe". But this isn't anything even remotely believable. I think if there are other creatures, they will be in an area where such complex proteins and amino acids can develop and be relatively secure from damage by radiation and atmospheric conditions. I.E., an area similar to Mars or Earth. Same distance from the celestial body, similar minerals and elements in the earth, the basic necessities.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Can someone please tell me the following information about this photo.
1 - Scale.
2 - Resolution
3 - Altitude taken at

Without this information, the picture is meaningless.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by neil wilkes
Without this information, the picture is meaningless.

Well perhaps had you read more of the thread you would have seen the links to the data...

However

The imager will take pictures of the entire surface of Eros that capture features as small as 4 meters (13 feet) across. This particular image, taken from an orbital altitude of 53 kilometers (33 miles), shows a scene about 1.8 kilometers (1.1 miles) across. Numerous craters and boulders as small as 8 meters (26 feet) across dot the landscape. The large, rectangular "boulder" at the upper right is 45 meters (148 feet) across.

Hope that helps you

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   

This photo, upsampled (smoother) 300% with PS,

contains this:

Post processing was done using Shadow/Highlight filter.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by barrystock

FANTASTIC!!!
And your a professional to boot

Mind if I ask the original source of that image?

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I like the SQUARE CRATERS on Eros...

September 26, 2000 -- In the pantheon of cosmic geometry, curves rule. Astronomy texts are filled with spiral galaxies, elliptical orbits, and ring nebulae. There are no chapters on triangles or rectangles -- after all, who ever heard of a square planet? Some of the simplest shapes, common in the handiwork of humans, are just plain rare in space.

Rare, but not impossible...

Last month, astronomers were studying pictures of asteroid 433 Eros when they noticed some unusual craters. Most impact craters are circular, but these were square!

science.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The building image is a seed vault similar to what we have recently constructed on Earth. They (Martians) picked a good spot for theirs, in time ours will also reside on the moon. The Eros vault is WIDELY known about and discussed throughout NASA. It is amazing sometimes how this info just doesn't get out there.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
"Boulderado"

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by barrystock

FANTASTIC!!!
And your a professional to boot

Mind if I ask the original source of that image?

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

That object on the moon looks like a satellite to me. Since 1982 we've lost quite a few of them I read somewhere, they get knocked out of orbit by junk or who know's what, sometimes the guidance systems go bad etc... and they jet hydrogen sending them out of orbit. If you look at that, it's looks like a solar panel has cuaght the sun's light just right and is reflecting from 3 panels .. 2 at top and 1 more, like the rest were broken. Maybe it's some private moon landing capsule from some weirdo millionaire who never wanted it public so he wouldn't get shot down.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by spikedmilk
That gravity part sounds fun - so i wonder, if it takes 5 minutes to fall off a cliff on Miranda due to weak gravity would the impact still be as hard?... hmmmm.

Depends on your velocity. Doing a face plant into rock at 100mph in space has exactly the same impact as here. Mass and inertia are the same, only weight is different.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

YES! I go for the more curvaceous solution. Like an igloo, maximum strength and minimum surface area; an ideal entrance lobby/air lock for the underground, but no tracks outside? Maybe abandonned a very long time ago. CJL

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Fathom

Hi Fathom! I've said it before and I'm saying it again! All material / pics have been duly acknowledged! Please check this out in the OP. Even the CG expert who has done all the hard work has been acknowledged! Thanks!

Cheers!

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

The first picture is interesting. Doesn't look like those obvious video-artifact things everyone talks about, esp. with that shadow there. That's what a real _object_ should look like. Don't know if it's Alien Buildings(tm) -- there's no way to really know that besides actually putting a lander there, but it's an unusual feature of some sort.

In the second picture though, those are just craters. I'm *VERY* sure that's what they are. It's an optical illusion. In the zoomed-out verson it's a little more obvious (at least to me) as you can see the crater rims. This "dome" illusion is something I've seen before looking at pictures of Mars... at first I saw them as domes yet the caption said "pits" and I was like "huh? Pits? Those look like bubbles or something..." but looking at them some more I could see that they were indeed pits...

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
I like the SQUARE CRATERS on Eros...

September 26, 2000 -- In the pantheon of cosmic geometry, curves rule. Astronomy texts are filled with spiral galaxies, elliptical orbits, and ring nebulae. There are no chapters on triangles or rectangles -- after all, who ever heard of a square planet? Some of the simplest shapes, common in the handiwork of humans, are just plain rare in space.

Rare, but not impossible...

Last month, astronomers were studying pictures of asteroid 433 Eros when they noticed some unusual craters. Most impact craters are circular, but these were square!

science.nasa.gov...

But wait... this could still very well be a natural phenomenon. From the same page:

"These square craters are not just novelties, they tell us something very interesting," says Andy Cheng of the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory. Cheng is the project scientist for NASA's Near Earth Asteroid Rendezvous spacecraft, which is orbiting Eros. "It's an indication that Eros is permeated with an extensive system of fractures and faults. Typically on Earth when we find this type of fractured area, the fractures form intersecting systems. Craters in such a terrain look square; we call them jointed craters. The best example is the Barringer Meteor Crater in Arizona."

Square craters add to accumulating evidence that Eros is riddled with cracks and ridges that extend the entire 33 km length of the peanut-shaped space rock. "We first saw long grooves in global pictures of the asteroid when NEAR was entering orbit around Eros in February 2000," continued Cheng. "Now, if we look carefully, most of the closeup pictures seem to show signs of grooves and ridges."

[edit on 23-7-2008 by mike3]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by spikedmilk
That gravity part sounds fun - so i wonder, if it takes 5 minutes to fall off a cliff on Miranda due to weak gravity would the impact still be as hard?... hmmmm.

Depends on your velocity. Doing a face plant into rock at 100mph in space has exactly the same impact as here. Mass and inertia are the same, only weight is different.

Given that there's no atmosphere, and the figures for the gravity (0.019 m/s^2), you'd probably hit the ground at around 53 mph. Ouch!

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
the words everything that has happened before will happen again come to mind.

you know we probably ended up in space a long time ago but being the humans that we are we probably blew ourselves up and had to restart from scratch again and we are now probably just finding the stuff we left out in space

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by razor1000
you know we probably ended up in space a long time ago

Sounds pretty baseless to me.

Facts, please.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

i didnt come here to debunk stuff or get into an argument nor did i claim i knew the meanig of life i just wanted to express what i thought about it so please save it for someone else

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join