It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black National Anthem?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
The Song "Lift every Voice" was famous long before a few people decided to label it the black national anthem. believe it or not, most black people, including myself, don't buy into that nonsense and i for one am getting sick of being grouped along with the vocal (and misguided) majority. it is a beautiful, inspirational song and many people look at it as a powerful motivator during a time when violence and segregation ruled the land. However, that is where it ends. Stop attributing the the deeds of the few to "Black America". Give the dunce cap to the idiots involved in the deed but for pete's sake, leave the rest of us out of it and lose the labels. Sheesh.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
neformore, you may be a moderator but I find your posts painfully biased towards Obama.

Instead of the spin of this thread towards being racially motivated, what pisses me off about this is someone took it upon themselves to replace the national anthem with their own musical piece. It shows a lot of disrespect for our country.

No it doesn't ignoramus.

Making up your own anthem shows more respect for America as opposed to making a big deal about some woman practicing her freedoms... by singing what pleases her.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Reise Reise

How your post received stars without even your even reading the lyrics of the song, or the history of it is beyond me.

The song has nothing to do with race. It's about the downtrodden and abused finding a place with God and country where they can strive to move forward.

Before crying racism from a thread title, read the story, research and learn. Not only will you better yourself, you'll better the forum by not posting such ignorance.

[edit on 3-7-2008 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dalan.

No it doesn't ignoramus.

Making up your own anthem shows more respect for America

???Realy???

Like if everyone made their own version up, and all got together in a sporting event, and the anouncer comes on, and 100,000 people start singing a diffrent tune? Thats good? Thats good for America? That is showing your support for a one Unified Nation, 100,000 people singing diffrent songs at the same time, to each their own beat?

No.

The national anthem is one song, for one country.
Just like there is:
one national curency
one national capital
one national bird
one national anthem

its simple.

As somehting similar, like say, how Obama took it upon him to make his own presidential seal? Here ...

Im sure his changeing of the presidential seal was only an expresion of his partiotism, much like how this woman singing "The Black National Anthem" instead of "The national Anthem of the United States"...

[edit on 7/3/2008 by TKainZero]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
The "black national anthem" does nothing but show divisiveness here in America. Thats what America's enemies want. Too perpetuate the desire of our enemies makes the singer appear to be a traitor, an idiot, not good for Obama's image of "bringing America together". It is also disgraceful for her to do this knowing this would bring international reproach. She clearly showed the world how ignorant she was. Her 15 minutes of foolishness proved punishment enough. Now the whole world gets to see why America distrusts so many Black folk and their self serving interests. Regardless of Obama's sweet speeches, the black populace in America does not share his vision of a united America...rather, time and again they appear to want more freebies and govt. handouts as if they are incapable of supporting themselves. We don't need to put someone in line in front of another for college admission because of their race!! My cousin was passed over admittance to an Ivy League school by the black girl she tutored even though my cousin had a much higher GPA, was in much more school activities and leadership positions. She felt betrayed...wouldn't YOU!!
On a separate note....I'm getting tired of Black Americans complaining about how their being treated here in America. They need to take a trip to their home country in Africa and see how they like THAT!! They are very fortunate to be here and to receive all the govt. freebies and aid they receive when in "need" whether they're really in need or not. Sure slavery is a terrible thing but get over it already...every race in just about every country on Earth has experienced slavery at one point or another. Besides people had a totally different mindset back then...they didn't even speak the same language and had totally different perceptions about each other back then. It is true that blacks slaves in Africa were slaves because other black tribes conquered the slaves tribes and hence they became subjects. Enough of this foolishness about whites being the bad slave traders. Blacks and Arabs in Africa had enslaved each other for 100s of years before they even saw a white man. And when they did see the first white man on a ship with advanced technology, equipment, clothing attire etc...coud you imagine what they thought? Some these new people in their giant ships and armored attire were Gods. People need to put themselves in the shoes of how people perceived each other back in the day to really understand what happened and how. There is not one country in Africa that I can think of that has been able to manage themselves without absolute corruption. How many countries in Africa have stolen white lands of which were farmed and fed most of the country's populace? The result every single time is that there is a major FOOD shortage with mass starvation. THEN these same corrupt leaders beg the international community for food aid and THEN the country's leader STEALS the food and sells it for profit instead of portioning it out for free as aid? The starving peoples in Africa have their leaders to blame for their own suffrage. There needs to be an HONEST discussion here about race in America if people are going to move forward. Tongue in cheek, sweet lies, being extra nice, giving someone more praise than deserved and treating someone "different" just because of their race is BS but if somebody shows disrespect for the country and causes more diviseness then you get what you deserve. Respect is earned...its not a freebie and never will be.
Wake up people and give someone credit when credit is due and discredit when discredit is due. No one gets special treatment in the real world and retains self respect. If one doesn't have self respect....they certainly won't be able to GIVE another respect. Thats just a self evident law of nature. If what I said offended anyone then thats just too bad. I think the "offended" need to reevaluate their true intentions. Honesty is what counts.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Destiny's Child

Whitney!

Beyonce!

Fantasia!

Ashanti!

Marvin!

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sheeper

edit to delete quote...happy now u know who?

If someone changed the Portugal flag and National Anthem, you are saying no one would care? Or just you wouldn't care? So people that would be offended at a flag and anthem change have problems in their head????????
Ok, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest anyone that could feel the way you do has problems in their head.

[edit on 3-7-2008 by Sheeper]

Actually things like Anthems and flags change ALL THE DAMN TIME! If you really wanted to be "patriotic, then stop getting mad because some woman decided to sing a song which represents freedom in her eyes.

The Constitution is the ONLY thing in America that matters, perhaps we should be more angry about the Patriot Acts??

But No!!!! Some woman didn't sing the right song! She disrespected our Country...

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKainZero

Originally posted by dalan.

No it doesn't ignoramus.

???Realy???

Like if everyone made their own version up, and all got together in a sporting event, and the anouncer comes on, and 100,000 people start singing a diffrent tune? Thats good? Thats good for America? That is showing your support for a one Unified Nation, 100,000 people singing diffrent songs at the same time, to each their own beat?

No.

The national anthem is one song, for one country.
Just like there is:
one national curency
one national capital
one national bird
one national anthem

its simple.

As somehting similar, like say, how Obama took it upon him to make his own presidential seal? Here ...

Im sure his changeing of the presidential seal was only an expresion of his partiotism, much like how this woman singing "The Black National Anthem" instead of "The national Anthem of the United States"...

[edit on 7/3/2008 by TKainZero]

Protect the Constitution, not petty things like Anthems and flags.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

I vote for Whitney, no one will ever top her. Fantasia

There is but one national anthom for all races of this one country. None others shall be tolerated....period.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Now there’s something you hear everyday!!

I wish someone would have had the guts to shut the mic off at the panel. Or maybe tackle her??
Seriously, I think that in a world of supposed “free speech” and “all men are created equal” are you really surprised by this knowing it’s an election year?
The African American citizens have “their guy” as a top contender for the highest office in the land. I think that we as a nation are going to see a lot more things like this.
I personally don’t like that fact that she did this, but I accept it. For along time now I realize that white Americans are the real minority and “black” Americans like to still pretend that they are.

Sorry and apologies for have offending anyone.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Protect the Constitution, not petty things like Anthems and flags.

Don't forget the flag pins.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Yes because our flag and anthem are petty thing......

coo coo, lalalalala be bop dooo dala kaka foo foo......This is Kaaaraaazy!

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   

reply to post by undo

I vote for Whitney, no one will ever top her. Fantasia

There is but one national anthom for all races of this one country. None others shall be tolerated....period.

Guess what? I am writing my OWN anthem and making my own flag, and no one can stop me!

Woo-hooo!

The Constitution people, protect the Constitution!

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dalan.

Sure, have fun doing that but if you introduce it at a political funtion, you should expect a certain amount of disproval. Lets not be fools here, it is perfectly sane to be offended by this lady's actions. And I agree we need to protect the constitution above all else, but thats not what this topic is about so don't insinuate we don't care.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Sheeper

An anthem is a song of celebration. Why should no others be tolerated? This is just amazing, I still can't believe some can't grasp that.

Again, an anthem is a song of celebration. So we can't have a song of celebration for anyone else in this country? Just because it is labeled as a black national anthem, is that why you are bashing it?

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   

reply to post by undo

I vote for Whitney, no one will ever top her.

She makes it look so easy, doesn't she? It comes out of her so effortlessly, you get the impression she's actually holding back. Awesome voice.

I liked the harmonies of Destiny's Child. And Mariah Carey does a cool version too but this post was about other black folks who had sung the national anthem in the past. this current problem is just political, divide and conquer, that kinda thing

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   

reply to post by dalan.

Lets not be fools here, it is perfectly sane to be offended by this lady's actions.

coo coo, lalalalala be bop dooo dala kaka foo foo......This is Kaaaraaazy!

But believing it's no big deal is *the above*?

BTW, I love the talk of being 'perfectly sane' right after posting *the above*

[edit on 3-7-2008 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I remember hearing this song a long time ago...it's a great song. Very touching.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
well that cut's it. i will be waiting for her apology. she should be deported on the next boat floating.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by phineasJwhoopie

She has apologized. And where would we deport her?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join