It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Weren't Designed To Eat Meat, Here Is Proof

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by insurgentx
Its seems there are a lot of stereotypical bone cruncher replies here._javascript:icon('
')
_javascript:icon('
') Why is it that people that eat meat always get so defensive? It doesn't take much research to discover that laying off meat is actually healthier, and as for the evolution argument.....(Yawn!)...even that is subject to doubt as in recent times more researchers are finding anomalies that unfortunately don't fit into the convenient "Evolution" box!

Why is it someone like you denies science? I have known vegans who at least admit we're made to eat meat. Again stop avoiding the science and start seeing what some of us have said.

The question was are we built to eat meat, the simple answer is yes. This does not mean we should eat meat! I am not saying we should or shouldn't eat meat out of personal choice. If you want to munch on veg only then all power to you. However accept the very simple, scientific basis that human beings are designed to eat meat anatomically. Whether it's healthier, whether it's cruel, neither of these arguements haev any part in this thread.

If you can't accept that it proves you're in denial yourself. Please stop pushing moral agendas onto a scientific question.

EDIT

Oh and people get annoyed becuase you are telling them to eat only veg, i don't say you should start eating meat now do i? I can provide arguements for it but in the end that's about personal choice and as i said, personal choice has no part in a scientific debate on this issue.

[edit on 16-6-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by insurgentx

Buffalo is healthy actually.

Just like plants, there are alternative meats which are healthier.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5ealchris

Its called evolution as that one person stated before. So now that we develped the teeth for eating meat doesnt that mean we can eat meat.

No it's called ADAPTATION.

Plus eating meat doesn't make my offspring's teeth sharper, that is decided by the genes that are passed down from both parents.

Keep eating only carrots and see what happens. Your children won't come out looking like rabbits

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
take a look at the vegetarian/vegan replies, and then take a look at the meat eater replies. big difference in levels of anger, insults, manners, and educated information. show me one study that proves that we need meat and dairy to live a healthy life and i'll go buy a steak right now.

Just look at this:

www.brendanbrazier.com...

enough said.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
My father has a saying that he taught me long ago...

"You can always tell a health food nut by how unhealthy they look".

So true...

If it tastes good eat it... in moderation.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by tasteslikethunder

Then please explain to me why you think they PUT IN vitamins into milk.

If plants are so superior, how can this be?

AND

Yes they both have muscles. But the question is to what extent?

Yes, nuff said indeed.

You need both plants and animals to live.

OH! Wait, forgot.

Right NOW, you're eating animals. Animals floating through the air. As you sleep, you eat insects every once in a while. As you eat plants, you eat the germs in them.

Never mind on forcing it on you, you'll get your animal cell resources none the less.

[edit on 16-6-2008 by Gorman91]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Cythraul

As part of the Yugas cycle the Kali Yuga is one of four reoccurring cycles through out time, that accordingly are repeated over and over in the cycle of man, so the awnser to your question is did we always eat meat...it looks like we must go off and on according to mans cycles, and seeing as their is a list of the cycles then they must of occurred before so since the beggining of these cycles we have ate meat. If you believe in the Yugas and logic.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
oooohhh. right i forgot! surviving and being healthy requires you to have huge bulging muscles...

am i awake?

it's called reducing your human footprint as much as possible. do i eat bugs? haha yep. guilty bug eater. not much i can do there - i do like too hang my head out the window of my car sometimes - the odd one gets in there. does that mean i therefore should pull my car over and grab an animals leg and stuff it in my mouth as well?

this is actually fun...

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Stupidest thing was when you said humans don't salivate about eating whole animals. This is clearly a narrow minded (almost ignorantly racist) viewpoint and you demonstrate that you know nothing about any culture other than your own. In a large part of the world, including many first world Asian and Pacific countries, animals are cooked and eaten whole. Hell even if you just look at meat eaters at home, we like to eat birds like chickens and turkeys whole, minus the head and feathers. We don't like those bits and they get stuck in our teeth and provide no nutrition, so why would we eat them? You can't say that because we remove the heads and feathers that means we aren't "designed" to eat them, it's no different than having to peel a banana or an orange, which by your logic means we aren't "designed" to eat those either.

Your whole argument rests on this "designed" principal which is really really ignorant. Animals such as humans are not designed but evolve to fit their environments and the resources available to them. We happen to have a lot of plant and animal resources available, and so we have evolved to take advantage of both food sources.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by tasteslikethunder

I totally agree that if you do not want to eat meat then dont, but dont get mad when I take your portion of steak.

The other thing is we should not really argue over life choices, some people find both ways of life repulsive, but if a vegetarian friend is on there way to my feast I will just hook them up with a fat portobello with some baby carrots and vegetable broth gravy or a Portobello soaked in balsamic, thyme and oregano a fresh whole wheat bun and some wasabi..it is all good we should all be kind to the choices others have that really dont affect us,,,, besides I love it when everyone else is chowing on some slamming food and the vegetarian brother and sisters are still impressed with your cooking abilities for me it is a win win.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Danger Girl's argument is just as bogus now as when I first heard it fifteen years ago, despite numerous crunchy assertions to the contrary (I've noticed a number of the same contrived explanations attempting to support this ridiculous hypothesis sprinkled throughout the thread), so I skipped through the bulk of this discussion and proceeded to the last page. Some of the fluff has been mindlessly regurgitated nearly word-for-word over the years (the whole "colons full of pounds of undigested, putrid meat" notion is still completely laughable). Put plainly, if humans had evolved to subsist on a completely vegetarian diet, we would have eyes on the sides of our heads rather than the front, a mouthful of molars, and a four-chambered stomach. Instead, our eyes are forward-facing (binocular vision - the better to chase you with), our front teeth (incisors and canines) are designed for cutting and tearing, and our digestive tract is designed to break down nearly every part of whatever plant or animal we can swallow. It is this very adaptability that has allowed us to advance as rapidly as we have. It's Darwin at work.

Don't get me wrong, I love granola, too, but it just doesn't satisfy the way a thick, juicy tenderloin does. It's biology, baby. For the rest of you cumbaya-singing, "I-love-nature-but-I'm-scared-to-confront-the-animal-inside-me," self-satisfied, moralistic butt-snorkelers, try going without food for a week (water, of course, is allowed) and then come back and tell me you'd choose another week of hunger over a medium-rare sirloin. Or, better yet, go ahead and starve...that'll just free up a little more oxygen for those of us who can justify our use of it.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by tasteslikethunder
take a look at the vegetarian/vegan replies, and then take a look at the meat eater replies. big difference in levels of anger, insults, manners, and educated information. show me one study that proves that we need meat and dairy to live a healthy life and i'll go buy a steak right now.

Just look at this:

www.brendanbrazier.com...

enough said.

Did i say we need meat to live? No i didn't and that question shouldn't even be bought into this thread! This thread was about whether we as humans are built to eat meat, why can't you get that idea into your mind?

The reason lots of the meat eaters are angry is because like anyone i doubt they enjoy being told they should sotp eating meat, they have been called evil, ignorant etc. That to me isn't polite and will provoke a reaction.

I think you're very selective in what you are seeing. The fact you can't even see that this thread has nothing to do with the moral question kind of shows you havn't read it have you.

So i will ask again, in one last attempt at staying on the threads point.

Are humans designed to eat meat? The OP says no, i say yes and i have provided scientific evidence that states we are designed to have some meat within our diet. That doesn't mean we should eat meat, it simply states we are built to consume it as part of a diet by evolution.

Note i am not bringing morals into it, if you want to chow down on a plate of veg then honestly, good for you, i don't care, it doesn't bother me one way or the other. So stick to the threads question will you. If you can that is.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

This should be about being healthy and not meat or no meat. The fact is that there are many links to consuming red meat and higher cancer rates. These are very legit sources.

Eating Meat Cancer Link

Red Meat eaters and Colon Cancer

Eating Red Meat and Colon Cancer

Bowel Cancer Doubles with 10+ servings of meat per week

In my professional opinion, i would say that eating too much meat can be bad for you and if you are going to eat it you should stick to smaller quantities and avoid red meat and any non-organic meats.
Its also worth noting that the negative effects of consuming red meat or any meat for that matter have really only been seen when life expectencies exceed the age of 50. I will agree that humans most likely evolved as omnivores because survival is hard and they probably turned to anything to survive. But in todays modern society, eating less meat is better for individuals and all of humanity. Meat is very expensive and resource consuming when we have alternatives. But that is not the argument by the OP.

I also feel that this thread is in the wrong category. It would be very tough if not impossible for a vegan to survive without hunting and consuming animal products but with that said its going to be hard for most humans.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamcamouflage
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

This should be about being healthy and not meat or no meat.

Great if you think it should be about that go and create a thread on it and i'll happily join in. Just tired of the thread being derailed, avoiding the OP's original question and basically having vegans and vegetarians denying science out of fear that if they do it justifies meat eating.

I'm not here to justify eating meat, honestly i really don't care if someone eats meat or eats plants, doesn't bother me at all. I'm hear to answer the original question.

Are humans designed by evolution to eat meat?

It could be god as well of course but i'm on the side of evolution, doesn't really matter which position you take there.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Danger Girl

Of course we can eat meat and be healthy. Bears have molars - should we tell them to stop eating meat?! One of the big reasons human brains developed the way they did is because we started eating meat, way back in the day when we were primarlty vego's. All that extra protein and fat gave us heaps of extra calories that enabled us to develop to a higher level. Plus we have canines. And I don't know about other people, but I certainly salivate when I see or smell a big, juicy rare steak!

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Roper

Well,not everyone that likes to eat meat likes to go out and blast them either.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5ealchris
Why Is there 14 pages of nothing in the survival forum?

Doesnt this belong in the scince forum.

Anyways I know the perfect solution.

Its called moderation.

And their is no on allmighty diet.

Different diets work for different people.

And I think exercise is more important than diet.
I eat meat,vegtables, and I work out. And I'm perfectly happy. and hardly feel sick. So I doubt if I stop eating meat that I well feel better. Because I feel perfectly fine now.

So I think people need to stop bickering about this and let people live thier lives.
Anyways why does it matter to people I dont even know if I eat meat?
I dont care if you dont eat meat.
So stop pushing your "meat is bad" and "meat is good" argument. This is a trivial issue that have different options different people.

Excellent points. Moderation is key with anything and regular exercise can be much more beneficial than any dietary choice.

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Danger Girl

I do not believe that nature was concerned with adorning us with canine teeth. Can you please provide a logical argument?

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by paul76

True. That or many other species become extinct due to our species destroying even more plant life to maintain its so called 'herbivore diet".

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by tasteslikethunder
p.s - did that guy before me actually suggest a link between homosexuality and vegetarians? wow.

Yes i did.

It is a personal observation.

I belive that the % of the hetero population which is vegan/veggitarin, is MUCH smaller then the % of the homo population that is vegan/vegitarian.

Just an observation, from personal experience, im not citing studies, or claiming to have any evidence, just a personal observation.

Sometimes my gut instincts are right, sometimes not.

But again, just a observation.

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join