It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 478
<< 475  476  477    479  480  481 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Alright, just to back up my companions, the rules in question.

Excluding both the opening and closing statements, only two images and no more than 5 references can be included for each post. Each individual post may contain up to 10 sentences of external source material, totaled from all external sources.

And what was the problem again. You youngsters need to slow down and read.

Great tourney so far folks.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

I think the main question is, what counts as a reference? I always assumed that the images counted, but apparently they don't.

And pdf's of two different chapters of one book are apparently two resources even if they're found on one web page. But I assume that if I actually owned the book and referenced that instead, the two chapters would count as one resource.

How about one online article that covers 5 pages? Five separate references if you use one sentence from each page?

Et cetera

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Links that you use as external sources, in my understanding, counts as references.

That's the way I see it.

Anyways, how many quotes can we use in a post?

I don't understand the rules on quoting external sources.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

10 sentences of external material per post.

Not per reference or link, but per post.

At least, that's how I am reading it, but what I once thought I was clear on is becoming a bit fuzzy now.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

The "ten sentences" part is the only thing that's clear to me. That's "ten sentences" total of quoted external material per post.

Quotes from your opponents' post don't count against that limit. And references that you don't actually quote from don't count against that limit. And pictures don't count against that limit. Ten sentences the way that your fifth-grade teacher would count sentences, is how I usually think of it.

It's what constitutes a separate source that's getting me.

edit to add that quotes from an opponent's source that he/she had not used would count against the 10 sentences I think. But wouldn't count against the 5 references, maybe

[edit on 2/19/09 by americandingbat]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

And, now, we are all confused.

I would think that the 10 sentences were the total amount of external material (not your own words) that you could use per post from an external source.

You can quote your opponent to your heart's content.

And, any link included in your post counts as a reference, whether that be image, web-page (separate links for various pages within the same site if the URL is different), or video. And, only 5 of those can be used per post.

[edit on 2/19/2009 by skeptic1]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat

It's what constitutes a separate source that's getting me.

Each different url you source from counts a single source even if you choose not to quote from it.

If you take a look at the last post from our current debate you will see me labeling sources with both numbers and words. When I quote more than once from each url I label it 1a/1b etc.

That helps me keep track of how many sources I am using and how many times I am quoting from each source in each post.

At the end of the post I just count the total no. of sentences to make sure I am under.

[edit on 19 Feb 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Aargh you guys need to slow down or speed up; read more intensely or not be so meticulous. One or the other!

Coffee or liquor, your choice, bar's open 24/7.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Is anyone familiar with the following statement?

"It is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission?"

On a side note...I think much of this could be cleared up if we went for five links total per post regardless of whether or not it is from the same link.

Head it off at the pass so to speak...

Edit for spelling.

[edit on 19-2-2009 by MemoryShock]

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Oh...and quoting from your opponent is unlimited...

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
On a side note...I think much of this could be cleared up if we went for five links total per post regardless of whether or not it is from the same link.

Please don't do that.

I have already got enough trouble backing up adequately some of disinfo I dispense.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

I'm just going to BS my way through the debates, work with rhetoric, and not bother with links.....well, maybe one or two.

It worked well in college with essay exams......

[edit on 2/19/2009 by skeptic1]

link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
reply to post by GAOTU789

I think the main question is, what counts as a reference? I always assumed that the images counted, but apparently they don't.

And pdf's of two different chapters of one book are apparently two resources even if they're found on one web page. But I assume that if I actually owned the book and referenced that instead, the two chapters would count as one resource.

If the two links are separate pdf's but linked from the same site they should only be one reference. That is spelled out in the rules as well. Did I miss this discussion? I have been trying to keep up in the pub but I may have missed this.

Links to multiple pages within a single domain count as 1 reference but there is a maximum of 3 individual links per reference, then further links from that domain count as a new reference.

If they come from the same pdf but linked twice for different chapters, than it is one reference.

How about one online article that covers 5 pages? Five separate references if you use one sentence from each page?

If you linked to each page separately, than it would be three references. One for the first three links then two for the other ones. Why would you want to do that though? Link it once than state that on page three/five of the article, it also says (use the external quotes for the sentence if you need to)..... A Free tip for all.

And to answer Frankies question.

You could have ten individual external text boxes, as long as they are one sentence each.

link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
And, any link included in your post counts as a reference, whether that be image, web-page (separate links for various pages within the same site if the URL is different), or video. And, only 5 of those can be used per post.

Not quite. Video is a no for this tournament. And three images are allowed in addition to five sources. GAOTU's quote at the top of the page clearly uses an "and"...

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Okay, which one of you has been telling skeptic1 "The Secrets"?

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Gotcha.....no longer fuzzy now.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Geeze, answer the phone and you guys fill a page of replies.(or maybe I'm slow?
)

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1
I'm just going to BS my way through the debates, work with rhetoric, and not bother with links.....well, maybe one or two.

It worked well in college with essay exams......

That's the spirit!!

And that is what the rules are intended to encourage...a Fighter relying on his or her words rather than shopped material...

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Here's another trick for you:

Just screen cap the whole web page and post it as an image.

j/k, please don't do that.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I have a question.

Does the amount of stars that someone gets for their post affect how the judges think about a poster during a debate?

I would hope that they're impartial. But I get worried sometimes...

[edit on 19-2-2009 by Frankidealist35]

top topics

<< 475  476  477    479  480  481 >>

join