It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creationists Will Destroy ATS

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
oops

[edit on 5/31/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I believe that there are several people on this thread who prefer to pigeonhole 'creationists' as all believing in one thing. I am a creationist who believes in evolution, and science. It is the same divisive garbage that is going on in politics; the far-left and the far-right arguing until they're blue in the face, while the majority lie somewhere in the middle. Unfortunately, it's these hot-button topics that get our attention, so we get our dander up to go in for the fight, and as time passes society becomes more polarized than ever. I wish the OP could understand the sincere compassion that many creationists feel and see that it is not simply that we are duty-bound to spread the gospel. Some of us who actually have emotions, have genuinely been helped by religion and have an honest desire to help others. The funny thing is, the more the anti-creationists push their agenda, the more socially unacceptable religion will become, and will eventually lead to the very thing predicted in biblical end-time prophecy. So before posting threads like this, you may want to consider the fact that you're just adding fuel to the fire, so to speak...

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by The Nighthawk

Best post I've seen here in a very long time. I'd star you again if it would let me.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

I do not advocate banning or persecuting anybody.

Nice recovery attempt (removed childish name calling) but a leopard always shows his spots.

You worship logic and reason correct? Let's use a little shall we?

A :: "Creationists Will Destroy ATS" is your thread premise Asty
B :: "There are creationists at ATS" is a fact
C:: "I want to keep ATS" is the gneral members hope

A+B =!C If A and B are true we cannot have C.

A + c = !B If A is true as you contend mein Führer, to have C we must eliminate B with extreme prejudice.

Ohhhh the irony... the logical and reasonable atheist done in by his own God.

Mod edit: immature name calling is unnecessary

[edit on 31-5-2008 by Crakeur]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   

hello there

you may be surprised but Christians do have other interests besides creationism.

such as if someone started a topic on ghosts in the paranormal section and asked for opinions is it wrong for me to add my thoughts as a christian?

Is it not more of a problem for Christian threads to be jumped on by atheists? I dont know. I have been a member for a few months and i like the way that the Big brother that ATS seems to warn us all of, isn't present.

personally i have learned quite a lot from the debate more of the bible and of science so im grateful, surely this is what debate fosters?

a Christians opinion, in this respect , is just another opinion. In a world where opinions are bing outlawed, shouldn't all of us respect that, here of all places?

david

david

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
In a totally off topic post, though that does seem to be the trend for the last few pages worth of posts, and at the risk of sounding (reading?) like a wannabe Mod. Could we lay off the attacks on other members? Pretty please?

Now lest I get zinged for being off topic...

Evolution and Creationism...with a little work at it...are the same damned thing, just looking at it through different lenses. I fail to see the necessity of getting so worked up over it.

I believe in God, I see his/her work in many things both great and small...yet neither do I deny evolution, because that too is manifest in things both great and small.

ATS has room for both. Y'all need to step back and take a breathe, or two.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Asty,

You are so well-spoken and eloquent, it really is quite amazing! I couldn't help but notice as I read your OP, how much it reminded me of silvery-tongued Palpatine (of Star Wars fame), attempting to rid himself of those pesky jedi. Seriously, it just popped into my head as I was reading your post!

I could challenge your mind as a christian, I do believe. And hopefully, you wouldn't feel as if you had been talking to an uneducated, ignorant lout who is "going to destroy ATS" with mindless TV show-based content, although I freely admit I have a theory that resembles that remark.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
And this thread is not considered hate speech - why?

Im not a creationist or an atheist - i dont know. I just know trying to silence a dissenting opinion is a sign of thr weakness of the complainin parties case.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by The Nighthawk

Damn nighthawk those were two of the best posts I have read here, mad respect.

I would love to see a creationist reply to your first one, any takers?

Come on guys, I think you know deep down that the bible is nothing more than a cleverly crafted story. Another in the growing list of incredible cover-ups.

peace

[edit on 31/5/08 by vehemes terra eternus]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Hmmm... Who to listen to? Do I listen to science, facts, reality or to racist bigots?

Do I listen to "As you can see here with your own eyes..." or "DIE IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE EXACTLY AS I DO!!"

Do I follow something that has been done in labs, has fossil records of, and been proven, or "If you don't believe me I'll set your house on fire and if you run out I'll shoot you and throw you back in!"

But of course it isn't a debate is it? It's one side providing facts and expirements while the other side blows up hospitals and drags gay people to death because a book written by a goat herder who was married to his 9yo cousin said to.

And that of course means you can't really debate him. Even in the 9 pages of this topic you have the calm, collected, evidence users and then you have the Creationists. They KNOW they are right and you are wrong and even God coming down and telling them they are wrong won't convince them otherwise.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
There have been plenty of active and interesting Internet forums that have been destroyed by being hijacked by a committed group of zealots. There are few zealots that are more committed than those that are so threatened by science that they would prefer to immerse themselves in a myth (one that coincidentally tells them that they (and only they) will live forever, and that anyone who doesn't believe as they do will burn in Hell - how convenient).

It's quite reasonable, and quite possible, that ATS could be virtually "destroyed" by those that would deny science in favor of a comforting fantasy.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   

"Over the past year, with the evangelically charged U.S. election, the creationism movement has gained new momentum along with an increase in posts here on ATS. From a purely objective standpoint, the issue of an organized group seeking to diminish or replace a widely accepted scientific topic with one of pure philosophy and faith fits the description of a "conspiracy"." From Overlords original post.

This discussion develops. It turns out that there is actually a conspiracy by philosophical materialist to suppress any genuine scientific
ideas, that are contrary too theirs. (creationism being born as science) A conspiracy by them to promote a non-scientific philosophy, (Darwinism) as scientific fact. Teach it using public funds, and suppress any debate or questioning of it.
So the OP screams hold on a minute, something has gone array. Stop the presses. The wrong people are being exposed here. Please shut them up.

[edit on 31-5-2008 by Howie47]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

You certainly have no qualms with putting forth some proselytizing and you do it non stop with so much reactionary rhetoric I can just about recite it all in my sleep. It does really get old Ashley, and I mean really old! We all know where the front doors to any given number of churches are. Most of us have either read the bible, or know how to get one. This site is cool because it allows one to explore alternatives to the status quo. The status quo in this case is and has been for thousands of years RELIGION!!!!! Ding, ding, ding!!!!

One can't continue to try and refute the refuters who are refuting the very thing one uses to refute them and expect to get anywhere other than ticking off a bunch of people. It's circular. Think outside the box and deny ignorance! Christianity (at least I didn't think it was) isn't supposed to piss people off, but pushing it on these pages isn't converting anyone, nor making anyone happy. Most are here because they are disenfranchised and / or disillusioned with it in the first place!

Flagged and Starred for the O.P. By the way...it's about time someone posted this; it's been a long time comin'. I don't mean to come off grumpy, but I used to enjoy the threads in the creation and religion section, but I got sick and tired of all the preaching and exactly what the OP was talking about. Now I, like others I'm sure, avoid those threads like the plaque. I avoid them just like I do the corrupt, fraudulant and deceptive churches...all of them!

[edit on 31-5-2008 by skyshow]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

Proselytizing and posing alternative evidence to evolution are TWO different things.
Was Lucy the missing link? Or her baby? No.
Why do people still believe it?
It's BAD science and people should be allowed to bring it up. Openly. HONESTLY.
If it's on topic........

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
Is the End nigh?

Now, I'm not suggesting that creationists are conspiring to take over the board or anything; despite my years on ATS, I'm not that paranoid. But they could well be, I think, the final straw for ATS.

Here and now, in 2008, ATS has largely been abandoned by real fringe theorists -- the people who gave the board its reason for existing in the first place.

The quality of discussion has plummeted.

I've been following this thread and re-read the OP more closely, and found the attitude expressed even more disgusting and bigoted the second time around.

Try changing the labels from Creationists vs. "ordinary members" (a bigoted insult in and of itself) to let's say something like "Colored people" vs. ordinary white people in the above snippet from the OP. And then change ATS to "our neighborhood." You get something like...

"Now, I'm not suggesting that colored people are conspiring to take over the neighborhood or anything; despite my years living here, I'm not that paranoid. But they could well be, I think, the final straw for our fine neighborhood.

Here and now, in 2008, our neighborhood has largely been abandoned by real Americans -- the people who created this country its reason for existing in the first place. "

You get the idea, which at it's root, is so bigoted that I'm surprised the mods even permitted the post to stay up. I will guarantee you that if somebody posted the same type of thread and singled out gays, Muslims, or even pedophiles the Mods would have taken the post down.

How in the world can a blatantly bigoted post like this be starred by so many members is beyond me. It's discouraging to think that there are so many members here aligned with the OPs attitude of intolerance.

What would destroy ATS faster than anything is if the OP's attitude spread and became the prevalent thinking here. Nobody wants to hang out in a forum populated by a gang of like minded bigots who single out and attempt to silence the minority opinion.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

So is being taught at Sunday school vs. an advanced degree at University and years and years of work in the Sciences. Go into your bathroom right now and open up your medicine cabinet and flush everything in there down the toilet...it's all based on "bad science" as you put it, so you won't be needing any of it, and might as well cancel your health insurance while your at it.

By the way, what advanced degree is it that you hold to make such a claim?

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by riley

Originally posted by jamie83
What would destroy ATS faster than anything is if the OP's attitude spread and became the prevalent thinking here. Nobody wants to hang out in a forum populated by a gang of like minded bigots who single out and attempt to silence the minority opinion.

Like minded biggots? Yes I flagged and starred it.. not agreeing with you does not make me a biggot though.

You forgot to call us 'nazis' btw.

I didn't call you ANYTHING.

I was referring to an attitude of intolerance, evidenced by any majority demonizing a minority, dissenting opinion, and then using the demonization of the minority as an excuse to silence the minority. That's the definition of bigotry.

If you think the shoe fits, then you really need to examine your own values and beliefs in terms of how you respect other people who don't share your values and beliefs.

And in terms of creationism vs. atheism, it is arrogant for either side to claim they have absolute knowledge that their belief system is correct, and that the other's is incorrect. Therefore, I would suggest that both sides would be well server by being far more tolerant than what the OP is suggesting.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join