It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India 2nd largest seller of carbon credits globally,China No.1

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   

India 2nd largest seller of carbon credits globally,China No.1

www.hindu.com

New Delhi (PTI): India has emerged as the second largest seller of carbon credits in the global market with six per cent share in 2007, while China tops the list with a huge 73 per cent, a World Bank report said.

"India and Brazil, at 6 per cent market share each, transacted the highest volumes after China in 2007," said the report 'State and trends of the carbon market 2008'.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Ranking Consumers By Environmental Behavior: India, Brazil Top Index; United States Ranks Last

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
good to know , that India and China are contributing carbon credits by reducing their emissions and working to save the world from global warming

while USA HAS USUAL KEEPS POLLUTING AND POLLUTING WITH ITS inefficient primitive SUV technology and wasteful hedonisitic lifestyles , while India and China innovate to save the world from global warming , while USA pollutes the world and bombs poor nations to oblivion and tries to steal their resources .

Seems to me ,India and China are superior to USA
why?
USA=no.1 imperialist
USA=biggest polluter of world
USA=refuses to join kyoto
USA= behaves like a spoilt brat
USA=loves to loot and steal other countries resources

Seems India and China are indeed superior to USA
related:
Ranking Consumers By Environmental Behavior: India, Brazil Top Index; United States Ranks Last

www.sciencedaily.com...

www.hindu.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
more from the article :

Certified emission reduction (CER), that are traded on the global climate exchanges, are carbon credits issued by the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) Executive Board for emission reductions achieved by CDM projects and verified under the rules of the Kyoto Protocol.

Pointing out that high price expectation for CERs in India and Brazil is hindering growth, the report said the sellers in these two nations favour sale of already issued CERs in the range of 15-16.50 pound per CER instead of selling forward CER streams.

For the third consecutive year, China was the world leader in CER supply with a 73 per cent market share in terms of volumes last year against 54 per cent in 2006.

Citing reasons for China still being the destination of choice for buyers of credits, the report said "the large size, economies of scale in origination, and its favourable investment climate " have attracted investors.

"China consolidated its position as the pre-eminent carbon supplier, by quadrupling its number of projects in the pipeline from January 2007 to March 2008," it said.

China is well ahead of other nations in the CDM pipeline with 53 per cent of potential CER supply with 1,104 projects till 2012, compared to India's 15 per cent of the total CDM pipeline, it noted.

The carbon market is the most visible result of early regulatory efforts to mitigate climate change.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by manson_322

Easy Manson... no need to come across as xenophobic. Whatever gripes you have with America can be put across in a constructive manner. It doesn't reflect well on Indians (and I am one of them) when you act in such a manner.

While this is interesting news, it is clear that India and China are fairly big polluters in their own right.

The Chicago carbon trading board is a nice idea, but to what extent it will work is unknown. At the moment it is rather floundering, as there are no incentives to buy carbon credits.

I think once a post-Kyoto protocol treaty is signed by all nations, then there will be worth in this carbon trading scheme.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer

The Chicago carbon trading board is a nice idea, but to what extent it will work is unknown. At the moment it is rather floundering, as there are no incentives to buy carbon credits.

That is why there will be a carbon tax in the near future..

London has done wit with SUV's I think.. I am sure more will follow.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

easy ? bush has said directly india is resonsable for the food issues in teh world - so he has a right to be rather upset.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

Individual disincentives and pigovian taxes will not work, because individuals will not buy carbon credits!

Intrinsically carbon credits are worthless and meaningless. They will only have meaning if there is a way of measuring the output of a country in-toto and forcing them to buy carbon credits to offset it.

London hasn't instated an SUV tax (thank God and Boris), but our government has just slapped a huge forecourt tax on the purchase of any SUV.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin

easy ? bush has said directly india is resonsable for the food issues in teh world - so he has a right to be rather upset.

As I said on the thread about that issue, Bush was only saying that increased affluence will bring increased demands and thus increased prices for all. Its an economic fact.

Plus what can Bush do about it anyway? Is he gonna steal candy from an Indian child?! No of course not- there is absolutely nothing he can do, and neither can any other country. They just have to find a way of increasing production and supply to meet the demand, or pay higher prices for their food.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   

I think I read here on ATS that if you have an SUV that you need to pay an extra 50 bucks to go into the city..

That is a carbon tax of sorts.. Why isnt an extra 50 put on the compact cars or something?

Anyway I was just going on what I have been hearing about this crap.. They are going to install some stupid carbon tac in the bear future.. Thanx to this global warming crap..

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
also a fact is that the US is the #1 poluter in the world , is tearing down its own `offset` to build new roads and doesn`t give a hoot about your childrens children.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Here is that post I was talking about..

SUV Owners Must Pay $50 Per Day to Drive in London

Vehicles in band G, those that emit more than 225 grams of CO2 per kilometre, will pay a whopping £25($50) every day to enter the congestion zone. This will mostly affect heavy 4×4 vehicles. Most other vehicles will continue to pay the daily charge of £8.

Sounds like a carbon tax to me..

[edit on 5/19/2008 by ThichHeaded]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

SUV ownsers will also being paying the highest road tax to drive on the road as well at $1000 a year.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Either way its a carbon tax... They will put more crap on us like this, and will call it something else.. In the end its a carbon tax..

And no I don't drive an SUV nor do i plan on getting one.. I am just pointing out the obvious crap.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
crap or otherwise - if you drive a vehicle with high emissions and does 10mpg then you must epect to the taxed for it as its contributing to the overall polution problem.

and don`t get started on `high` pump prices in the US - they`re nothing like high.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Carbon credits are a bunch of male bovine fecal matter. They do nothing to solve any environmental problems. Instead they penalize the poor while allowing the rich to pay their way and continue polluting as much as they want.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
That SUV tax was scrapped by Boris Johnson... the new Conservative Mayor of London.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Ya what he said..

I also want to add, it don't matter whether they tax the hell out of everyone for carbon emissions or whatever.. Fact of the matter is we will not get rid of the carbon problem unless well we get rid of people..

@ Harlequin

I also want to state another thing.. Its not all Americans are doing this some are.. That's like saying all Americans are for this war, in fact a few are.

Get your facts straight before spouting off on how screwed up Americans are cause most aren't..

Read sig below.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   

sorry for double reply.. I wasnt aware of that..

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Before a lot of people here start getting on Mansons constant American bashing train he is always on take a look here:

www.forbes.com...

If you notice almost every place mentioned in this is in China, Russia, and India.I didn't see the U.S.A listed anywhere in there...hmmm.
Now I am sure I will be flamed for this by all the American haters here.

Plus I beleive it was the United States that started using emissions equipment on automobiles in the 70's to create less pollution in the air...ummm thats a 30+ year jump start.Not to mention all the environmental restrictions on industry in this country.As far as I am aware India does not even have emissions testing?

I am going to add article as well: www.cseindia.org...

[edit on 05/16/2008 by CaptGizmo]

[edit on 05/16/2008 by CaptGizmo]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   

did i say anywhere about `all`americans? no , so don`t you dare put words in my mouth.

you need to get your reading skills in order before you type anything else.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join