It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SUV Owners Must Pay $50 Per Day to Drive in London

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   

SUV Owners Must Pay $50 Per Day to Drive in London

www.environmentalgraffiti.com

London already charges a tax, known as a congestion charge, on almost all vehicles that enter central and parts of west London. Certain vehicles, such as those hybrids or eco-friendly fuel cars are exempt. Livingstone’s most recent announcement, however, vastly increases the charge for the highest polluting vehicles.

Vehicles in band G, those that emit more than 225 grams of CO2 per kilometre, will pay a whopping £25($50) every day to enter the congestion zone. This will mostly affect heavy 4×4 vehicles. Most other vehicles will continue to pay the daily charge of £8($1
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Wow, I'm wouldn't doubt things like this spreading over here.

Isuzu is already pulling out of the market, let's see if SUV's die altogether.

I think we're going to be seeing much more of these types of things in the battle against climate change. Can't say that's really TOO bad.

www.environmentalgraffiti.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2/1/2008 by bigbert81]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
About time. People need to realize they dont need to be driving such huge vehicles to get around.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
GOOD,
these are known as "Chelsea Tractors" and have no place in a large city.

They add to congestion, pollution and accident rates.

Why on earth would anyone need a large four wheel drive vehicle when the vehicle in question will never even see a field.

This is about vanity and status symbols - and if they want that, then they should pay extra.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Bully for the Brits! We as a world have to start taking actions like this. If people are using vehicles like this as status symbols, lets make them worthy of that moniker. Drive one, fine with me, but you can pay taxes large enough on them to offset the carbon costs.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent Styx
About time. People need to realize they dont need to be driving such huge vehicles to get around.

I agree.

And it's all those damned VED band G vehicles that are doing it! Like the:

Audi A6 and A8
Peugeot 407 Coupe
Mercedes Benz S-class
Kia Sorrento
Dodge Nitro
Citroen C6
Volvo XC90
Mercedes E-class

Damned pesky SUVs.

...oh wait, those are sedans.

Huh.

Your pal,
Meat.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Freedom seems to be very unappreciated in England and here at ATS it seems...Hard to believe so many people are in accordance with this.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
What on earth has freedom got to do with it?

Nobody said they can't have these vehicles - but if they want to pollute more, then they should pay more.

London is a horrible place, due to all the traffic - anytime I go there, I have a headache within 1 hour because of the pollution.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Not only should these pollutant-ignorant fools be taxed, they should be tagged and shamed!

Introducing the new sport for all the family...SUV tagging!

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mmmeat

Looks like anything diesel is in "Band G"

Band G Cars

The 2.8 liter Wrangler is on there! Those damn giant Wranglers.

[edit on 1-2-2008 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Freedom is driving what you want when you want to.

If they can afford the gas and their vehicles pass current smog emmision laws there is no reason why law abiding citizens should be fined for driving them.

If you want to save the Earth by driving some econobox by all means go ahead. I won't put a stupid bumper sticker on your car.

THAT IS WHAT FREEDOM IS

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
While I can understand the reasoning for the tax to get those pesky suburban SUV owners to be a bit more responsible, some people do have good reasoning for owning SUVs. Originally the sports utility vehicle was meant for actually going off road and through rough terrain, and many people actually do have a need for such a thing since not everyone lives in the realm of well paved roads. While there is a problem with people not needing such things buying them as status I don't think it's right to slap everyone with such a tax. A lot of people need the 4x4 capability but can't afford a second car for driving into London, and as a result can't afford this tax.

Although that video on SUV tagging was pretty funny.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectTater

I agree with you.

I think if they're going to go after gas guzzlers and such, they should be focusing more on the source, not the consumer.

From what I'm hearing though, they're looking at both. Obviously not in this situation though.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
SpectTater

2 points - nobody is being fined, they simply have to pay a higher congestion charge in central London.
Congestion Charge

With freedom comes responsibility - adding further to the already choked atmosphere in london is NOT responsible.
So if you want to do it, you should pay more for doing it.

PLUS - the drivers of these things are a bloody menace, thinking they are invulnerable whilst sitting in their gas guzzling tank and bullying other road users.

I have the right to expect clean air when I breathe - these monsters don't help.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
the drivers of these things are a bloody menace, thinking they are invulnerable whilst sitting in their gas guzzling tank and bullying other road users.

I second that Budski!

A bigger menace to us cyclists than anything else on the damn road...tax 'em till their wallets bleed!

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

Maybe if I lived in England I would have a different view of this. It just seems that individual rights are being slowly taken away worldwide. MHO

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
This is about the rights of the many rather than the few.
If this was an infringement of rights, I'd be one of the first to complain.

London NEEDS a congestion charge - try going there someday and you'll see what I mean.

Also, nobody's rights are being taken away - they just have to pay more, because they pollute more.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

I guess if you compare it to smokers it kind of makes sense.
It is like making it legal for smokers to smoke in public places if they pay a cover charge to enter the public place.

But from what I know even SUVees have to pass regulatory emmission inspections, so whay are they assumed to be bigger pollutors?
I would think the charge would be bigger for older cars rather than SUVees.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpectTater
I guess if you compare it to smokers it kind of makes sense.

This is something of a sore point with me, as I am both a cyclist and a smoker (bit of an oxymoron I agree) but if I know I am in the company of non-smokers, I will always ask if they mind, if they do, I take myself away from their vicinity even if outdoors.

In contrast, I have ever yet to hear of a driver asking if non-drivers mind if their car pumps out exhaust fumes...cars belch out as much pollutants into the atmosphere in the space of 10 minutes as my roll-ups do in the space of 3 months.

..when will the anti-internal-combustion-engine exhaust law be passed? never!

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

Funny I have a differnt view. Cyclist here in the states present huge traffic issues esp on mountain roads etc. Its a wonder not more are killed. Nor to the majority obey the traffic laws like they are supposed too. Also, while you are okay with taxing cars (Which makes sence BTW) why are cyclist exempt from paying road fees? IMHO they also should be responsable for it.

..when will the anti-internal-combustion-engine exhaust law be passed? never!

Right, as its totaly unrealistic at this point. You are talking about energy production, transpotation of food, etc etc etc. Untill a viable alternative exists we can do what we can to mitigate our impact while science looks for alternatives. Unless you want to revert back about 200 years or so, its never going to happen

[edit on 2/1/08 by FredT]

<<   2  3  4 >>

join