It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Experiment in Alternative Methods of Earthquake Prediction

page: 99
<< 96  97  98    100  101  102 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Hi all,

I just found out there was a quake close by and thought of this thread. Nothing to report. Some in Anchorage reported barely feeling it and I felt nothing at all. I was sitting here in front of my home computer when it happened.

Our two cats did nothing. One was sitting on the back of my desk chair and did not react. The other was lying on the floor looking into space like it always does and did not move or react.

We have highly varied ground conditions here so it is not odd that I did not feel it at home. Had I been at my office I probably would have.

No tsunami or tsunami warning. It was far enough from the nearest community that i doubt any damage will be reported. Homer would be the most populous and I doubt they had any damage. I think it was about 50 miles from them.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I know that you are interested in animal reactions. We had a large 7.9 up toward Fairbanks area 6 or 7 years ago and it was about a 5.5 here if I recall. My house rocked like a boat for about 40 seconds. No damage but enough to rattle the nerves. Our dog slept through it and had zero reaction. I was watching the aquarium slosh back and forth and thought to look at him to see what he was doing. He was enjoying his nap. I'd say Lab's are lousy earthquake reporters

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555
Thanks for your posts!

Yes, that would've been the Denali Fault quake on Nov 3, 2002... (I checked the details for the Yellowstone thread)
It amazed me at the time how little effect it had on most people but I guess in Alaska you've got to be pretty tough anyway, seeing as there are smaller quakes pretty well every day...

Maybe your dog just sensed there was nothing to be concerned about? I don't know... I'm wondering if animals' reactions are partly a function of how common any type of natural event is in their environment. As for cats, from what I've read they're either hyper-sensitive or they don't seem in the least bothered.

Regards,

Mike

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Just saw this on another site. A very cool animated .gif of the USGS world map. Interesting to see what quakes popped up at roughly the same times.

Link to animated map

Note: if your browser won't replay the image after one pass, even with a refresh, just download it to your HD and use an image editor to view.

[edit on 24-1-2009 by soma_pills]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Going out on a limb and predicting offshore Pacific Northwest in the next 3 days, 5+. Based on symptoms and my gut.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I have not posted anything over the last week, even though I have had ear tones and earaches etc.

But I wanted to post this, last night I went to bed feeling queasy, this morning I woke up also feeling queasy. My left ear is hurting also, but it is more of the sickness feeling.

I have found the last big quakes over 7.0 are days I felt sick, so I wanted to post this. I have not actually gotten sick yet, but my stomach hurts too, and I am starting to even feel sicker and coughing and gagging etc. as I am writting this.

Don't know if it will amount to anything, but wanted to note it.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Hey, I am in Knoxville, and it seems we have had activity in this area the last couple of days.

This morning a 3.1 above us. It says it hit at 6:20 am, but interesting enough, I had woken up with a huge headache right around 5 am. I stayed laying down, and then felt the bed bump a little. I immediately wondered if it was a quake. I looked at the time, it said 5:20 am. I thought - I would watch the EQ map and see if anything showed up today - that corresponded with the "bumping" and my headache.

The map is below: but I still don't get the time on it, especially since I felt something - exactly one hour earlier.

Date-Time Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 11:20:12 UTC
Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 06:20:12 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 36.777°N, 84.132°W
Depth 25.7 km (16.0 miles)
Region EASTERN KENTUCKY
Distances 5 km (3 miles) NNE (33°) from Williamsburg, KY
19 km (12 miles) S (190°) from Corbin, KY
21 km (13 miles) S (189°) from North Corbin, KY
45 km (28 miles) N (359°) from La Follette, TN
91 km (56 miles) N (349°) from Knoxville, TN
336 km (209 miles) N (4°) from Atlanta, GA

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.9 km (0.6 miles); depth +/- 0.8 km (0.5 miles)
Parameters NST= 17, Nph= 23, Dmin=41 km, Rmss=0.16 sec, Gp=130°,
M-type=duration magnitude (Md), Version=C
Source Southeast U.S. Seismic Network

Event ID sehnw0127a

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Fox News was reporting on the Volcano in Alaska that is in the process of blowing it's top.

Volcano name: Redoubt

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Caught a deleted NV quake. Don't have the map screen...it was in the upper right corner of the state. Gone almost as soon as I saw it posted.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Hey,

lots of ear popping pressure right now, and my right ear is hurting once more. But it is more of, my ears having pressure and continually popping - I have to keep yawning to keep them correct and popped. Headaches and all that stuff had been happening earlier, but not right now.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by pynner

so do you see more quakes coming off the coast of Tofino and if so when and how strong??
thanks
J
[email protected]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Very odd quake happened this morning.

MAG UTC DATE-TIME
y/m/d h:m:s LAT
deg LON
deg DEPTH
km LOCATION
MAP 3.4 2009/01/28 11:19:09 35.120 -97.872 5.0 4 km ( 3 mi) S of Amber, OK

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Sorry it's taken me this long to reply to your question. I've just been very busy lately.

I first noticed it, back when I lived in the SF bay area. I could tell when a local EQ was coming, about 12 hours before it hit. I would get extremely restless, literally unable to sit still, and have intense anxiety... that "sense of impending doom" feeling that was impossible to ignore.

What I've noticed since I started this thread is that the more energy and attention you put towards picking up your precursor pains, the more you'll feel them and the easier they are to define. The past two weeks that I've been busy, I haven't paid too much attention to precursors, so I'm only noticing the intense ones--- some heart pain yesterday and very noticeable right ear pains. Pain wise, precursors aren't that bad for me. They're generally not long lasting aches, but more three or four pulses of pain, just enough to let you know they're present. I know they're far more intense for Charlotte King, of course. By the way, she says to eat corn if your precursors are very painful. I don't know why or how it helps, but it does. Any form of corn... chips, popped, canned, whatever. And sweet hot peppermint tea helps any stomach involved pains.

From your posts, I can see that you've been picking up the activity out East and some of the central California geothermal activity, to name a couple. If you want to contact Char, her info is in the OP. You are EQ sensitive, I'd say, and she can steer you in the right direction if you want to pursue it. However, if you don't want to get precursors, try not to put any energy into it... don't think about it at all. Some precursors will get through. Right now I'm getting both ear pains that I didn't have before, so it's probably because I'm focusing my attention on the subject.

I'm still watching California as the geothermal activity is still high, especially south of the SF bay area. And of course there is the relatively rare activity in Oklahoma the past two days.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Scientist say that eruption is imminent for Mt. Redoubt and they are at Orange status.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
A 4.6 just hit Seattle Washington Fox News reported. Something is in the makings big time I think.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
edit to add couldn't get what I wanted to work, sorry having a bad computer day.

[edit on 30-1-2009 by observe50]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Magnitude 4.5 - SEATTLE-TACOMA URBAN AREA, WASHINGTON
2009 January 30 13:25:03 UTC

Peter Cervelli, a research geophysicist with the observatory, told CNN that "every indication is that we're heading toward an eruption."
The predictions are sending experienced Alaskans shopping for protection against a dusty shower of volcanic ash that could descend on south-central Alaska. con't

news.aol.com...

[edit on 1/30/09 by kattraxx]

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Hey folks... I see that everyone was all over the PNW quake... figured I would add an article out of vancity...

www.theprovince.com...

UPDATED 9:08 a.m.

A shift of the Juan de Fuca plate, about 35 km below the earth’s surface in Puget Sound, caused a 4.6 magnitude earthquake around 5:25 a.m. this morning – rattling many Victorians.

“It isn’t a terribly significant earthquake in magnitude but it was shallow and felt in several urban centres,” said Alison Bird, a seismologist at the Institute of Ocean Sciences in North Saanich. There have been no tsunami warnings issued.

By 8:30 a.m., Bird received more than 130 reports of the quake being felt from Seattle to Richmond, through the centre’s tip site: earthquakescanada.ca

“There weren’t any reports of damage in Canada and I wouldn’t expect there to be,” she said. “People’s tips help us track trends like where earthquakes are felt stronger.”

Bird said this morning’s earthquake likely had its epicentre under the islands of Puget Sound, northwest of Seattle.

“The earthquake happened at the base of the North American plate. The pressure of the Juan de Fuca plate causes it to bend and need to release stress,” she said, adding she’ll spend the rest of the day conferring with seismologists at the University of Washington about the quake.

The last significant shake in this area was 2001 Nisqually earthquake that registered a magnitude 6.8 and caused damage throughout the Pacific Northwest.

“This is a good reminder that we live in a seismically active area and people need to be prepared,” Bird said.

Several Times Colonist readers wrote in to tell us how they experienced the quake.

“I felt the quake this morning as I was lying in bed and contemplating the day,” wrote Maggie Allison, who lives near Ganges on Saltspring Island.

“I was telling a co-worker yesterday how ‘deep of a sleeper and I am’ and that I have slept through earthquakes,” wrote Brent Vermette in Victoria. “I woke up at approximately 5:27 a.m. and felt the bed moving back and forth quite powerfully. I have felt earthquakes before (small ones) but the one this morning was one I will surely never forget. My window was making a lot of noise as well. It seemed to last a long time, I would say at least seven to 10 seconds. After it stopped I was sitting there in bed kind of freaked out a little.”

My question is.. why do they keep saying these are "releasing pressure" when in fact there is no proof of that... infact I agree with O50.. something bigger is working up.

I get the feeling that larger quakes will become common place very soon.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Magnitude 2.5 - SOUTH CAROLINA
2009 January 29 21:11:24 UTC

Hi pynner, great article.

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
yeah, im back from the dead and couldn't wait to get back into this..

who would have thought influenza and bronchitis would suck so bad?
lol

I wanted to add.. although my cat never even seemed to be phased by the EQ (or any other animal I have ever had), she is acting like a lil jerk today... so maybe it's not over yet.
or she's just a jerk..

top topics

<< 96  97  98    100  101  102 >>

join