It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Experiment in Alternative Methods of Earthquake Prediction

page: 40
<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I cannot believe what I just found. Or rather why don't I see this activity every time I go on the USGS site. WTF, somebody tell me they have been seeing this too, or what is up??!!!! I was fishing around for volcanic info and came across a site that directed me to this:

I have been complaining of certian symptoms for about 9 months now, this dates back up to 6 months, with some recent activity that has not been showing up on the daily hits, or reported locally for that matter.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by space cadet]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Hi and congratulations on the hit in Colombia
Nice work

Thanks also for posting that info about the quake map...Looks like it's worth keeping an eye on it. I wonder if any of the disappearing quakes are on there? I suppose it would depend on their degree of cooperation with USGS.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   

But wow, two faults running under the city that are capable of +7.0-- that's news to me. News I didn't particularly want to hear. Last I heard on local media, our faults were capable of about 6.0. Isn't that what you heard, damntheptb?

YEAH, that is the first I've heard of 2 faults... and capable of 7.0+ ???

That is info I have never seen in any news sources before I read this post.

not good news....

[edit on 23-6-2008 by damntheptb]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Okay, what is the mag. of that large yellow area in Illinois. When did this happen, it looks quite large....what am I missing?

What is that swarm there that I haven't seen?

I have to get with the program I am missing this.

I was checking out Illinois and they are saying the New Madrid zone has been quite the problem is coming from the Wabash Valley Fault. The say there are 200,000 earthquake a year on Earth and they found that approximately every three days there is at least a 6 mag. somewhere on Earth that is recorded.

They are finding things like before an earthquake Radon or Helium gas may leak out of the ground as the ground cracks. They say water well pressure might change and electrical resistivity also have been noted.

They also noticed that in Cal. if one Fault produces a quake it can activate others.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by observe50]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Just for information purposes I'm posting a Gif animation showing the sequence of the recent quakes off Oregon and northern California.

Notice (legal):

These images, created from published United States Geological Survey (USGS) maps, are solely for informational and educational purposes and may not be reproduced in any form whatsoever for commercial purposes of any kind, and in the case of any reproduction USGS must be acknowledged as the source of the original material. I have worked on these images with all due care, but because these images contain composite data in the form of overlays, there may be slight errors in the locations of the stars that indicate earthquakes. Any errors in them are my responsibility and no errors in them may be inferred as any reflection of the standards of accuracy of the original images from USGS.

EDIT: I missed a quake that happened earlier today so I'll try to add it into the Gif and repost...

[edit on 23/6/08 by JustMike]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Good morning all, It's been a while since I've posted... I have not been feeling ANYTHING, cept a feeling a dread, and unexplained fear. My house has continued to creak and pop, and I have noticed a lot of ant activity, but I have not felt anything else, in a while now.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Earthquake mag 4.0 Greater Los Angeles Area.

Just for record-keeping purposes here is the USGS data page:

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I just pulled up IRIS because they post anything 4 and better. When I got the map up it shows it for a split second but when the screen is settled it isn't there.

I will have to watch the map closely.

This should be reported by Fox news and it is 11:17 EST. here so I wonder how long before it comes on Fox, I'll keep you posted.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
LA update.

AP 4.0 shakes E. of LA

7:15 a.m. 2 miles E. in Loma Linda a 4.0 in San Bernardino County.

OKLAHOMA:

SAT. NIGHT

9:16 P.M. 2.2 35 sec. later 3.0 same fault, same location, Chandler area, Lincoln County.

edit for update.

The 7:14 a.m earthquake came 9 minutes after a (pair of) 2.6 foreshocks shook the city.

4.0 centered 3 mi. W. of Redlands 5 mi. SE of San Bernardino

now listed on IRIS

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
morning/afternoon/evening folks.

I haven't posted for awhile because I haven't had any signs to pass on. I think my window of being a sensitive has shut down again. I'll have to figure out how to 'open' it back up.

Ill still keep watching the thread and posting when I feel things.

Tela

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by damntheptb

It was a surprise to me as well but then I'm not in the US so don't have access to much local news... But I found this article from the Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology entitled Seismic Hazards in the Reno-Carson City Urban Corridor which might be of interest -- especially to you and Kat. At least it gives some info that can be further researched.

There is also this pdf file from the same source which has detailed maps and assesses some of the risks.

Regards,

Mike

[edit on 23/6/08 by JustMike]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
They are saying to early to pin down fault but quake was close to San Jacinto Fault an active offshoot of the San Andreas.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by observe50
Okay, what is the mag. of that large yellow area in Illinois. When did this happen, it looks quite large....what am I missing?

What is that swarm there that I haven't seen?

I have to get with the program I am missing this.

That largish-looking one in Illinois was a 5.2, back on April 18... They use a different scale of squares on that map than USGS does on theirs. Here is a direct link to the clickable map. If you click on a few quakes, you'll see that although they look like a swarm, they are actually from data accumulated over the past 6 months and so they're not really a swarm at all. (Which is good to know.)

Here is the direct link to the page that Space Cadet posted in her image, and which includes this map and various other things as well. Many thanks to her for finding it.
Please note that some of the links on this page are now "dead" (Surprise, surprise, sur-prise!" says Gomer Pyle,
) so please bookmark the page before clicking, otherwise you may have to type the whole URL in again. (Like I did!
!!)

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by observe50
They are saying to early to pin down fault but quake was close to San Jacinto Fault an active offshoot of the San Andreas.

Yes, there's a whole passel of faults down that way but by following the clickable fault map for southern California (to around 34 N, 117.24 W), it looks like the San Jacinto is certainly one of the closest. It seems to be in what the call the "Crafton Hills fault zone", just a little way south of one of the main San Andreas system faults.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
So I see L.A. had a moderate EQ. That explains the extreme clumsiness the past few days. I know a couple of us mentioned SoCal last week, but I don't have time to find the prediction post right now.

I've been getting quite a few precursors the past couple days. Got Peru, Brazil and Columbia again last night, as well as Bolivia and Ecuador. Also expecting aftershocks in Argentina and Greece.

And I'm thinking offshore NorCal again. Possibly south bay too. Not certain on this one yet.

Still waiting on the Sierra Nevadas; did get awakened around 2:30 am by a 1.9 tremor during the night.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Cancel South SF bay area. This is probably part of offshore NorCal.

SoCal may shake some more though-- I just started getting some SoCal main precursors.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Nice GIF, Well that shows us where the pressure is going to build up and crack. I think that they will have more large quakes in mainland California now rather than all the small ones as shown with the quake in L.A. Funny how they had small ones right before the bigger one though. I wonder if we will see even a larger quake there?

We all know that area is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kattraxx

Looks like there have been more offshore Northern California overnight.

Offshore Northern California

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Telafree

Hi Tela,

good to hear from you

Well things have been rather active up your way and that in itself can be very distracting...It's almost like having six rock bands (forgive the pun) playing close by all around you and trying to listen to a string quartet playing in the distance. In other words, you can get swamped by information overload.

BTW I've sent you a U2U.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

Thanks for your comments...much appreciated!

About the quakes on the mainland...As you know, Cal has so many that it's very hard to infer which (if any) are direct precursors of something larger but I agree with you that there have been several small-medium ones in the past few days that seem to link with what has been happening off the coast of Nth Cal and Oregon. I say "seem to" because we can't be definitive, but that's the way it looks anyway.

The experts are in general agreement that a "big one" is due in California but as I've said before, it concerns me how little attention officialdom and MSM are giving to the possibly even bigger one that eventually will occur in the Cascadia/Juna de Fuca subduction zone region, and that in terms of energy release could be 100 times more powerful than the low-7-magnitude quake they expect for California -- namely a magnitude 9 or greater. (Based upon published scientific studies of past events.) That's the one which really worries me -- especially with the flurry of recent activity in the subduction zone region...

top topics

<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join