It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Experiment in Alternative Methods of Earthquake Prediction

page: 38
<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I just went over to skunk works to look for something and a thread caught my attention it read:

Red Spots off the Coast of San Clement, California, USA.

I READ THE POST AND FOLLOWED THE LINK AND ALMOST HAD HEART FAILURE, THIS CAN'T POSSIBLY BE WHAT I THINK IT COULD BE COULD IT???? sorry about caps not meant to be.

I hope it is okay to post that link in this post if not oops!

www.kmzlinks.com...

what do you think of the pictre (< lol duh!) picture

[edit on 19-6-2008 by observe50]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Hi Observe,

when I first looked at that pic I though "algal bloom" and then upon checking the thread I saw most who posted there had the same thought. However it turns out it's likely to be kelp rather than algae. So while it looks rather creepy it's nothing to be concerned about.

By the way, as you acknowledged the source thread, which anyone can then just copy and paste into the "search" window to find the original post, there's no problem with posting that link.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Hmmm... back in this post on June 16, I predicted a quake for San Francisco "larger than the 3.1 on Monday June 9".

Well, there was a mag 4.0 quake in Central California on Thurs June 19, but as you can see from the image below it wasn't in Frisco but rather was around 100 miles SE from there, on a fault line that actually runs up through the bay. (The quake in question is the largest blue square on this map in case anyone is not 100% sure which one I mean):

I'll leave it up to others to decide if this qualifies as a hit. Okay it's close... The quake coordinates are 36.681, -121.308 and a Google Earth query of "San Francisco Bay" gives a marker at 37.41, -122.14 so it's less than one degree out for latitude and longitude, but I was really expecting a quake of around this strength much closer to Frisco than this...and though it's about three days after my post I was honestly expecting it would be "sooner rather than later". It depends on how rigorous you wish to be in terms of the parameters we use to determine "hit" versus "no hit".

Edited to add extra info about coordinates.

[edit on 20/6/08 by JustMike]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Here is a public service announcement...

Anyone who would like to learn a bit more about how to read seismograph data (ie seismograms), including what P-waves and S-waves are and how to identify them, how to compute epicenters from this data and also estimate quake magnitudes can visit this site. (No registration of any kind is required and the site is free.) I recommend going through the complete tutorial on the site (which takes about 10 to 15 minutes); this will give you a much better understanding of some of the reasons why waveform data is so valuable. It also makes it easier to understand how magnitudes are derived and what they actually mean in terms of total energy released.

Of course, this site only provides a very basic tutorial. It won't turn you into an expert...
But all the same it's very useful knowledge and well worth a look.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I just saw a picture on C2C, it is called 'attack of the frogs', the person who put the picture on C2C is in Conneticut, and there are frogs hanging on the doors, walls, ect, he decribes them as being everywhere, and mentions as well that he is not in an earthquake prone area. Just a tidbit for those of you paying attention.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I will admit I did not read the thread on the red stuff because it really threw me. I will head back to the skunk works and read the entire thread now that it is morning and I am more awake. One thing that does have concern for me is the fact that areas in our waters are losing oxygen so the creatures whos habitat this are..... also they are saying the waters are warming and I believe it is due to underwater volcanoes.

We don't hear talk of this on the news and I wonder why????? this will be a world disaster and people need to brain storm on what can be done about all this.

As far as I am concerned you called that quake it was close enough... we aren't looking to be perfect on predictions as yet, lol.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Okay, I notice that the Verdi-Mogul/Reno and surrounding areas in NV areas hasn't been updated since the 18th wonder why?

When I check the all quake map what I am noticing is this:

The quakes now in Verdi-Mogul/Reno are getting DEEPER but they are not only moving east ward they are moving south also toward Vegas. I noticed Indian Springs and that heading toward Vegas on the map.

Now if we look at this say from a standing point looking down I would say the tentacles are """spreading/stretching""" it seems a quake starts shallow and shakes, shakes and shakes until it opens and gets deeper then it moves to another area and starts out shallow/ground level shakes, shakes, shakes until it gets deeper, do you get what I am trying to say.

This thing is "GROWING"

Your thoughts on this, is it possible.

We don't know what happened in China and we probably will never know but either a quake could have triggered a Nuclear event or a Nuclear event could have caused a quake. What if this triggered something so massive that the Earth is vibrating deep within and splitting. If new fissures open and lava moves to new locations what could this mean. Could something already made it to Colorado to cause 800 degree ground heat??

That red stuff off San Clemente could that be caused by water warming from whatever this event is we are going through right now.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Well...here's a small one right where I've been thinking that ol San Andreas has been "stuck". There were a BUNCH of smaller quakes and a 4.0 up in Hollister area.
Lots of movement today.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Also Justmike...
That's a hit if you ask me.
I was feeling the same thing at about 8 or 9 pm last night....and there ya have it!

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Ok all finally i get a chance to reply, things have been pretty hectic around here.

Some very interesting things happened while i was away for those 7 days or so. ESP concerning japan and Iowa, and soon to be st. Louis area, Esp when concerning my dreams i had, which are on page 15 or 16 in this thread and i believe 18.

I would tend to agree about it being most probable a volcano we are not being told about, or many. They symptoms just all point to that. Its not looking much better as we speak, why they are deleting certain ones, seems rather odd to me. Do we have a mapp laying around anywhere, that shows all the ones made public in one color and another with all the ones they are deleting. It would be interesting to see if we can depict a pattern we are not supposed to be seeing. Having them all Saved on SS was a good idea, now lets put it to use ^.^

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Check out this little ring around the rosie. Wonder how this happened?

[edit on 20-6-2008 by Sky watcher]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Hi guys. I haven't had a lot of time to post, but I do try to read at least once a day.

Here is the e-mail I received from Senator Reid's office today:

Thank you for contacting me about earthquakes in Nevada. I appreciate hearing from you.

As you may know, Nevada is ranked third for seismic activity in the United States. Active earthquake faults can be found throughout Nevada and thousands of earthquakes occur each year in Nevada-almost all of which are too small to be felt. In fact, two fault lines have been detected that run through Reno city limits that are capable of large (magnitude 7 or higher) quakes. The United States Geological Survey's (USGS) website contains a map of recent earthquake activity in the United States; the USGS strives to provide seismic activity as soon as it occurs. This information is often imprecise and is later corrected by adjusting the estimated magnitude of the earthquake once more accurate information is collected. The USGS is primarily a scientific service and does not provide disaster relief.

In light of the recent quakes that have been felt in Northern Nevada, it may be a good idea to go over some simple safety steps that you can take to protect yourself should another tremor be felt. The Nevada Seismological Laboratory's website has a list of steps you can take, as well as additional information on earthquakes in Nevada: www.seismo.unr.edu...

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

My best wishes to you.

Sincerely,

HARRY REID

United States Senator

Nevada

As you can see, pretty much a form letter. But wow, two faults running under the city that are capable of +7.0-- that's news to me. News I didn't particularly want to hear. Last I heard on local media, our faults were capable of about 6.0. Isn't that what you heard, damntheptb?

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Hi all,

thanks for your input about the California quake prediction.
Based on your opinions I've claim it as a hit and posted the details, data page and maps here on the Results thread.

Also at the end of that post, for the sake of maintaining good records I've declared a no hit for my prediction of a quake in the Iberian Peninsula region. (Details and link to original prediction are given in the post.) I had two other predictions that were also "no hits". One was for Sth Cal and the other for Southern Africa. As soon as I have a bit more free time I'll check and see if I've declared them. If not I'll post details on the "Results" thread.

Edit: Lots of new, good comments and info on the thread and I for one would love to respond to some but right now we're heading out for the day...

[edit on 21/6/08 by JustMike]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I am predicitng a magnitude 4.5 to 5.0 or up will hit the Columbian/Ecuador region at between 3-15 degrees Lattitude, west of Pitinga Brazil, I expect it to take place over the next 48 hours. Lets see what happens.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I read awhile back that inland of Vancouver Island and I believe also San Francisco that if a large enough quake hits the land will/could? liquidify.

I think I read a 5.5 or larger would do Inland Vancouver Island and I don't know the mag. for S.F.

I think this is very disturbing considering the number of people that live in these areas and they may not even know this.

I also watch for things that might not blow high in the sky but implode down.

I have learned that if you look up you should also look down.

We need an update on the shaking in Reno. I haven't seen damntheptb I wonder what he is feeling, does it seem to be settling down any?

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Hey everyone I finally got the pictures of my trip to the Kilauea volcano on line. I cant tell you how it feels to have lava running under you as it is on the lava flows that you are allowed to walk on. Enjoy the pics.

Ok I had them perfect in edit yet they still refuse to show right, Im going to smash this stupid thing.

[edit on 21-6-2008 by Sky watcher]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I GIVE UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

There was that 4.5 in the Tanzania region in Africa... was that before your prediction?

I'm glad the EQ hit south of the SF bay area and that it was not large.

I will predict an EQ in Peru, Brazil or Columbia, probably at least 5.0, maybe higher, as I've had this pain for 3 days now. And also the Domino Islands-- getting that precursor as well, but then they pretty much shake all the time. I haven't really had time this week to focus on earthquakes-- actually, that's been kinda nice.

Sky, send me your volcano images again and I'll get them on the thread. AOL purged my email for me and I lost everything.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by observe50
I read awhile back that inland of Vancouver Island and I believe also San Francisco that if a large enough quake hits the land will/could? liquidify.

I think I read a 5.5 or larger would do Inland Vancouver Island and I don't know the mag. for S.F.

I think this is very disturbing considering the number of people that live in these areas and they may not even know this.

I also watch for things that might not blow high in the sky but implode down.

I have learned that if you look up you should also look down.

We need an update on the shaking in Reno. I haven't seen damntheptb I wonder what he is feeling, does it seem to be settling down any?

Hey Observe50, not sure where you heard that about vancouver island, but it's not accurate at all.
I grew up on van isle (13 years) and my family still lives in a place called "lake cowichan".
you gotta remember... the island is mostly granite and granite doesn't liquefy. with that being said... lake cowichan is actually on a huge fault that runs up from seattle.... this fault has produced 5 - 7 mag EQs.... even created a tsunami in the lake.. brought down one side of a mountain.
there are even places in the lake that they have yet to find a bottom (I have seen it as deep as 1500-2000 feet in some places.

but no... as a person who grew up on the island, I highly highly doubt that anything would liquefy....

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I will say.. Richmond and Delta in Vancouver (proper) would/will liquefy in an instant.. both of the cities are built below sea level on silt and sand..

top topics

<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join