It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 143
<< 140  141  142    144  145  146 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SGTChas

Is my question being ignored?

posted on Jun, 17 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SGTChas

When you see a post like that, please hit alert and give a brief explanation of the violation in the post. Then staff will review it.

We don't disallow dissenting views from threads- it goes with the territory. A thread started by believer in a certain subject will be met with skeptics. Sometimes skeptics will have their threads met by believers. One political side will have their threads visited by an opposing political side. It happens on just about every subject here.

But if they are disruptive, trolling, or leaving posts that are against the T&C's or the guidelines of etiquette, please use the alert feature and we'll check it out, discuss it, and take any necessary action.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Helloes

I just realized the BBQ threads stopped showing up in the BTS "recent posts" page.

Not sure if this is by intent or something that got inadvertently lost in the proverbial shuffle.

In case it is the latter I just wanted to note it, if it is the former then don't mind me.

Cheers!

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I keep seeing a white screen with the words "error" whenever I try to edit a comment in my profile. Can anyone explain what is going on here? Thanks a lot.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by omnilight

For me a paragraph here and there helps me to read and understand what the author is trying to say.

When there are no paragraphs my eyes seem to behave like a needle on an old record jumping from track to track.

My eyes get lost in the jumble of words and i loose where im at and have to re-read where i think im up too.

When i come across a long paragraph and loose my position in the paragraph i loose interest and then get irritated.

I hope that helps explain a little why some people complain.

This is not an attack im just explaining how i feel.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
To whomever is in charge,

I hope,think and believe this will undoubtely have been discussed here (by myself no less) but the ATS issues thread is getting to large to read through all the posts but this is getting out of hand!!!

Thanks to this ridiculous new system of point displaying under your avatar i have noticed that the amount of (pardon my french) BS threads that has been created the last few weeks is not only being done by the newly joined members here on ATS but also by moderators and even Super moderators.....

Now i know everybody wants to have a pretty blue "flag contribution level" but that doesn't mean that threads like this:

Dangers Of Leaving Kids In "Hot" Cars...

Have any place ,IMHO , on Above Top Secret, how is the topic that is being raised by the OP in any way "above top secret"????

Did i not understand the meaning of this site correctly??

Don't get me wrong here!! I like elevatedone a lot and always enjoy reading his/her threads and posts but if anybody he/she should know that this is not in any way top secret.

Maybe this should fit better in BTS but i suspect that posting on ATS will get that shinny blue bar filled quicker.

Can i , in any way, donate all my points and other status thingy's to the poor hard working moderators of this site because i don't need them but i would like to see "normal" ATS threads back on ATS......

Sorry for the rant (it's been a terrible day) and i sencerly hope my account will not be banned for stating this issue....

Peace

ps: again, i have a lot of respect for the hard working mods on ATS and i did not intend to attack you in any way i just wanted to raise the issue..

psps: elevatedone, i have starred and flagged your thread just because i believe you should have a completly full shinny blue bar..

(so that's 6 flags and a bunch of stars for warning us about the dangers of leaving your kids in the car....
)

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Anyone wondering why the same threads have been at the top for the last 2 days? I thought the top threads only stayed up there for 24 hours? LOL, maybe my sense of time is way off though, I have been busy lately.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Problems with URLs.

I've had a few problems with URLs not working correctly, usually when they contain slightly odd symbols.

For example:

As a plain text link

media.abovetopsecret.com...&action=list_photos&album_id=65

Using the url tags

With manual encoding

I think a related issue is using some other characters in a post. I wanted to post some of the code from the blackjack site source, but it wouldn't render, I think the characters that were especially problematic were things like

<

Which I had to change to

<

(&lt

It only seems to happen on certain instances, I haven't done web programming for years, but I seem to remember functions to sort this out were built in, so that users didn't need to use entities manually, and people couldn't put in exploits.

[edit on 20-6-2009 by jimminycricket]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   

It looks suitable for the 'People' forum on BTS, where it is currently.

That topic would not be considered 'breaking alternative news' so the BAN forum doesn't seem like a proper place for a second home.

Good thread, though: "Legendary CBS journalist Walter Cronkite reportedly gravely ill "

LOL - Walter Cronkite on his death bed *suitable* for BTS People? How ABSURD is that?

This man is a war Hero and veteran.

This man took us to the moon.

He was there for the world and the USA when we lost the Kennedy’s.

He held our hands and hearts and lives through the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Was steadfast and firm over the Chernobyl's accident.

This man is and was for longer than any other journalist in American history the *Most trusted Man in America.*

A man who never let the USA or the world down...

The above is only a miniscule list of Mr. Cronkites life long achievements for journalists and the USA, the profession and people he love and dedicated his life to!

And where are we for him when he needs our support and prayer?

Some (edit out opinion) person sticks this post in *People*.

OJ Simpson and Anna Nichol Smith on front page ATS in repeat stories - but - Walter Cronkite on his death bed in BTS.

*Leaves the thread shaking my head in disgust*

EDIT: Sorry about the *bold* - I tried using beige and the color would not work.

[edit on 22-6-2009 by silo13]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
LOL - Walter Cronkite on his death bed *suitable* for BTS People? How ABSURD is that?

If there are questionable circumstances regarding his illness, then it may be appropriate for the conspiracy-centric topics of ATS. But without that, as it's general news about a person unrelated to conspiracy theories, BTS is appropriate. It's not disrespect for the person, it's the correct place for the topic.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

I posted that thread as a reminder.

Having been close to someone that this happened to a few years ago, it's an important issue to me.

I'd hate to see anyone lose a loved one over something as ridiculous as this.

If any of my threads are ridiculous or non ATS material, I know the staff will move them, I have no problem with that.

I personally don't care about the color of my flag bar. I post threads that are of interest to me and ones the I think other people would find interesting.

[edit on 22-6-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I really don't see why people on this site feel that threads moved to BTS is an insult. BTS is a great part of this site and a wonderful place to visit and post. I would suggest that more people visit the pages on BTS for some fun and some enlightening discussions that aren't centered around conspiracy.

Remember: BTS is NOT a Garbage Dump, Void, nor is it Oblivion!

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I agree BTS isn't a dump but when someone spends time on a thread that they think is worthy of attention and it get moved to a place where it will probably die shortly. How is one not to think "some MOD thinks my efforts are ****"

And then they see a thread that obviously just a sensationalist piece of junk left in the ATS place of honor and go on to get multiple flags, stars, applause, accolades etc. There is an obvious pecking order and preferential treatment of some members. Perhaps they deserve it.
How can there not be a social hierarchy in a system of social beings exchanging ideas?

Ever read the "Peter Principle"?

Look at my points....I love BTS.

[edit on 22-6-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Moderators Are People Too. (and they have opinions)

(except of course Mirthful Me who is a monkey.)

I agree, my threads are so well thought out and well informed they should be starred, flagged, and applauded until they dominate the highest parts of ATS. But until SO completes his work on those MOD BOTS hes been working on, we are left with lowly humans working for free as moderators of this site. The problem arises when these moderators grow fond of members and start doing ghastly things like appreciating members contributions.

Oh well, not everyone can be perfect like me I guess.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
How is one not to think "some MOD thinks my efforts are ****"

The effort must not have been that significant if there was no effort to place the thread in the correct forum. If a thread isn't an "ATS topic," it's either removed or moved to BTS... it's very simple, and should be easy for anyone to understand who desires an orderly structure of the millions of pieces of content on ATS.

And then they see a thread that obviously just a sensationalist piece of junk

As opposed to a lazy piece of plagiarism? Your prior demonstration of a disrespect for the content of others causes this apparent "respect" to ring shallow and appear to be nothing more than "sensationalist aspersioning."

left in the ATS place of honor and go on to get multiple flags, stars, applause, accolades etc.

We have no control over how our members choose to flag, star, or reply to threads.

There is an obvious pecking order and preferential treatment of some members. Perhaps they deserve it.

Indeed... we tend not to favor those who break simple rules. It's rather normal.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Silo

First off I liked the post. I think you put some time and effort into pulling the information. I understand your frustration. BTS is not necessarily the Ash dump...though. But it's hard to not feel as if it was not "Good" enough for "ATS".

I understand what Bill and the rest have stated. Cheer up. I think anybody who actually takes the time to view the post would agree that it's good stuff.

Smile

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
reply to post by operation mindcrime

I posted that thread as a reminder.

Having been close to someone that this happened to a few years ago, it's an important issue to me.

I'd hate to see anyone lose a loved one over something as ridiculous as this.

You are absolutly correct and i find it very noble of you to warn people of these dangers but......my point is, that this hardly comes across as something which would be "above top secret".

If i am incorrect i'd really appreciate it if you could explain this part of creating threads in ATS

If any of my threads are ridiculous or non ATS material, I know the staff will move them, I have no problem with that.

Are we not suppose to know which thread should be created in which forum?? I see a lot of explanations by long time users telling everybody what kind of thread belongs in what kind of forum.

I personally don't care about the color of my flag bar. I post threads that are of interest to me and ones the I think other people would find interesting.

I believe you but it just seemed that way because of the ridiculous amount of weird threads that were created ever since the introduction of this new system. I appreciate each and every thread created and read almost every one but some make me question wether i'm on ATS or housewifes-online.com........

Sidenote: It wasn't directed at you personally but i was having a bad week i guess. Heck, i even made a reply in you thread which contributed to what you had to say....

No hard feelings, right??

Peace

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Thank you, all for you responses, I truly appreciate them.

One thing I want to make clear.

I'm not upset at all my post got moved - as in MY post - I would feel the same way no matter who posted a thread about an ailing Mr. Cronkite.

I’m saddened a man who each and every person on ATS should hold in reverence - for his contribution to journalism - if nothing else - is not included in ATS.

As for this quote:

The effort must not have been that significant if there was no effort to place the thread in the correct forum.

I don’t know if that was pointed at me but I will say this.
I originally added the post to the Media section as I figured journalists and media was an appropriate place for such a distinguished gentleman, a man who single handedly has contributed more to journalism in the USA than any other in history.

About BTS - No, I don’t think BTS is a dump.
But I also don't agree Mr. Cronkite belongs there when post, after repeat post, of repeat stories, centered around scumbags like OJ Simpson are allowed to remain on ATS.

Just my opinion.

Obviously I’m not the decision maker for the boards, and, as I greed to the terms when I joined I’ll have to move on.
But that doesn’t mean I have to agree with it.

thanks again
peace

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
So if placing threads in BTS or ATS based on content is so important, why can't thread titles be considered just as important. The sensationalized wording of many threads would seem to be a worse offense.

The recent airliner plunges from sky is an example. It hit some turbulence. Sounds like it should have hit the ground or ocean. There are many more as we all know.

Make the place appear to be a tabloid but then may be that is the intent.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Here's a suggestion that might help streamline all these recent problems with threads, flags etc.

Instead of all these different "firehoses" and stuff, just have ALL new threads go into a special "New Threads" Forum. There, they can all vie for attention, replies, flags, stars etc for say 2-3 days. During that 2-3 day period, the staff and mods can examine the content and determine the appropriate sub-forum for each thread. At the end of the 2-3 day period, every new thread would then be automatically moved to the appropriate sub-forum.

That way, instead of having so many different ways of trying to find stuff and keep track of everything that's going on (which can get exhausting pretty fast) - people could just keep a close eye on the New Threads forum, where most of the action would be contained.

Also, and this is very important - every thread would then have the exact same chance of getting attention and flags. Because we all know that the way things are now, there are some forums that are viewed WAY more than others, so your threads stand a better chance of getting attention and flags if you post them in those busy forums instead of the really quiet forums. Right?

<< 140  141  142    144  145  146 >>

join