It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 141
<< 138  139  140    142  143  144 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

So pretty much what you are saying, or implying, is that the government is doing this, trying to heavily restrict and even ban the Second Amendment, for our own benefit, and there is no alternative explanation for what they are doing?

No where did I make any such statement or inference. Your statement is patently false.

You are saying, or implying, the official story is right

Sorry, again, you are wrong.

So you see, there are "alternative" explanations for the government trying to restrict and ultimately ban our Second Amendment right.

There are "Alternative" explanations that can be "made up" in any one individual, or group of individuals minds. What does this have to do with the "News Story"?

If what you seem to be implying

Again, Wrong.

It would appear that either you do not understand what a "News Story" is, or you are simple arguing for the sake of arguing.

The simple fact of the matter is clear and easily understandable.

1. YOU did not write the News Story, therefor YOU can not MAKE it an Alternative story. No matter how much you may want to.

2. The News Story is what it is.

3. BAN rules are what they are.

Simple and succinct

What you have done here to my post, is exactly what you are doing to the News Articles you posted; making incorrect inferences.

Perhaps if you stopped placing your own slant on things you read, it would be more clear?

Just a suggestion.

Semper

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Thank you for your reply, i posted your current report on the archives state of affairs, to the Document Archive thread for those who also had an interest.

As for the rest of you guys,
what's up with the silent treatment, my proposal for a new improved drug thread is a very realistic do-able alternative to what has unfortunately failed. It's not like i pulled this out of thin-air or my dairyaire... this is a solution that i have discussed many variation of, at length in RATS many months ago and has been brewing in my melon ever since.

Since Jack can see me, i know that i am not on some universal ignore option feature... there must be someone else out there who can hear my call. "... anyone... anyone... bueller..."

[edit on 11-6-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by The All Seeing I

We appreciate the sentiment but...

We don't discuss drugs here, nor do we want to discuss discussing drugs here.

That horse is dead, we tried it didn't work, we are done and way too busy to keep thinking about it.

Springer...

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Thank for your response, at least i know now that i'm not on some excommunication list and that the verdict on the drugs forum was found guilty for the 'conspiracy to traffic'... maybe in a couple years the subject will come up for parole... at which point maybe you guys will reconsider and remember the prospects of out-fitting the forum with RATS features and bronze-level access.

I suspected that you guys might have been burnt/burnt-out by the whole experience. Explains why the subject is mute, a real shame... the approach as i had outlined would work. I guess i'll just have to chalk it off as bad timing.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Well thank you very much, all you had to state from the beginning is that the story itself must have in it's content an alternative view, which i thought one of the stories did. BTW i made it clear in my post "YOU SEEMED" I wasn't saying "YOU WERE", perhaps if you understood the difference you wouldn't take such questions as personally as "YOU SEEMED" to have. Just a sugestion.

BTW, even though yes it is true that anyone can make up any form of conspiracy from anything in this case you should very well know "it is not made up", just because a news story doesn't state what other stories state does not mean "the conspiracy was made up".

Here is what it says when we are about to submit a story to BAN.

ALERT! To keep fast-breaking news of swine flu in one easy-to-find place, please use the Diseases and Pandemics Forum for your new thread on swine flu.

This form is for the submission of breaking conspiracy themed or other alternative topic news and current events that fit within the topical themes of AboveTopSecret.com.

IMPORTANT: Off-topic submissions that do not relate to the alternative topics of ATS, are more than 36 hours old at the time of submission, or cover news stories already submitted to the news forum, are subject to immediate removal without warning or explanation.

New news-related threads that are important for ATS discussion but do not fit the above criteria should be posted to our current events forum.

See? all it says is that the stories must be Breaking News, and it must relate to the alternative topics of ATS. It doesn't specify that the story itself must contain an alternative conspiracy, but that it must "relate" to alternative topics being discussed.

If we were to accept any decisions done, or statements said by those in power this website would not exist now would it?

One more thing I have to state, yes I do make inquiries about why certain actions are done in the forums, and don't accept just any decision just for the sake of accepting anything and everything. This is not out of malice, or just "arguing for the sake of arguing". I am, or was, trying to find out why such topics were being moved, and unless you can be specific, just like you finally were, I, nor any other members would understand why certain threads are moved, or certain decision are reached and would certainly ask why, and without understanding this we would certainly make the same mistakes.

I made the inquiry on the complaint form but there is never any feedback when complaint forms are done.

[edited to add comments]

[edit on 11-6-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis

1. YOU did not write the News Story, therefor YOU can not MAKE it an Alternative story. No matter how much you may want to.

2. The News Story is what it is.

Semper

Without reference to the original subject of this exchange, I have to say that I'm really glad to know this. All this time (since Jan) I thought Breaking Alternative News was news in which the poster interprets the conspiracy element. Brings it to light. Not that the story itself must contain the conspiracy. Sometimes it's hard to tell because an item might be me really wound up because of my own interpretation, but in fact not be a conspiracy story at all. Let me ask about some examples to try to get hold of this notion.

To me, science stories for the most part are not conspiracy stories. Right now in BAN there is an interesting one about how the star betelguese is shrinking (or maybe exploding). While it's surprising I don't see any conspiracy element. Is betelgeuse up to something? awhile back there was a story about kommodo dragons, how their venom killed with bacteria. I remember posting a question about what the conspiracy was. I think the answer was it used bacteria instead of poison (or something like that). So the conspiracy was that the discovery channel mislead us. It sounded more like they are just learning new things, not that anything was suppressed. definitely an interpretation of the poster--i would have thought. The thread was there for a pretty long time so mods must have agreed that it was a conspiracy, but i wouldn't have thought so.

I think it would help a lot of us to have a better explanation of this forum. not that the stuff has to have just happened or not be a duplicate of other threads, but what you mean by conspiracy in the story itself. A couple of days ago I posted a story about a private equity firm getting money from GM, bailout money, to buy a bankrupt (since 2005) auto parts company. This seemed like conspiracy to me, in that how can they use bailout money like that! However the thread was moved to Breaking Political News, which is fine. If I'd understood things better, I would have posted it there in the first place. But I really don't know how to tell. It would seem that very few stories belong in BAN but there they are. all sorts of stuff.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by earlywatcher

I think what you both should understand is that having a thread moved out of BAN is NOT, I repeat NOT a punishment in any way shape or form.

I can not speak for all of ATS, nor would I attempt to, but for many of us, the entire board is a wonderful treasure of information and thought provoking ideas. I am constantly confused by some peoples attitude about a thread being moved to the correct forum.

And ElectricUniverse, you may have intended to say you seemed, but that is not what you communicated. But have no fear; I have been here long enough and debated enough people that my skin is a tough as that character from Dune, what was his name? Oh yeah, Muaddib, at least I think that's it, have not seen the movie in awhile.

Anyway, back on point; if a member posts a thread that may or may not be suited for BAN, trust that the Staff reviews it prior to a move. That is the beauty of our system here at ATS, we work together.

In simpler terms, no one is moving threads just to be moving them or for any nefarious reason. Every action taken is open and transparent to the entire staff, just to ensure mistakes are kept to a minimum.

I'm glad this issue was resolved in true ATS fashion, with dialog and intellect.

Semper

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

my question was not about my thread being moved. it was about how to tell how if something has an element of conspiracy in it and therefore belongs in Breaking Alternative News. The threads I post rarely get much notice no matter where they are, including BAN so it's not that I think I'm missing out on the big time. I am genuinely asking for clarification on what belongs there. You could go through a few current topics and explain or make up some examples, but please provide a more guidance than just telling me not to fret about having a thread moved. Couldn't you tell from my post that that was not my "issue"?

If you can't answer, maybe some other Mod can explain ATS's vision for Breaking Alternative News.

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by earlywatcher

Take a big breath now, we are politely conversing here.

You have to realize that it is not possible to outline every Alternative Topic and whether or not it would fit into BAN.
The absolute best guideline is here:

Changes To News Submissions For The Breaking Alternative News Forum

This is by our CEO, Skeptic Overlord..

Our staff has been seeing an increasing number of news submissions that, for a wide variety of reasons, simply don't belong in our Breaking Alternative News Forum. The news forum is intended as a place to submit late-braking current events that fit within the mix of topics discussed within the forums on ATS.

Also, if you do submit a story that interests you, and it is not a duplicate, it simply gets moved. It is still there for you to participate in, comment on and reply to. Again, what difference is it if it gets moved?
Or perhaps more accurately, what impact is it on you personally?

Post what you believe to be Alternative topic material and if it is decided by the Staff that it does not fit, the Staff will move it.

If it does fit, everything is hunky dory..

Semper

posted on Jun, 11 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   

I think what you both should understand is that having a thread moved out of BAN is NOT, I repeat NOT a punishment in any way shape or form.

It is not that we think it is a form of punishment, and I can't say what the other members would think about it, but topics being moved to "AbovePolitics, to me means the topics being discussed are political, aka about politics.

And ElectricUniverse, you may have intended to say you seemed, but that is not what you communicated. But have no fear; I have been here long enough and debated enough people that my skin is a tough as that character from Dune, what was his name? Oh yeah, Muaddib, at least I think that's it, have not seen the movie in awhile.

This is what I wrote at the end of that post of mine.

"If what you seem to be implying is true then 9/11, as well as many other conspiracy theories, was never an alternative conspiracy theory since there is less proof for the government being involved behind 9/11, than proof that the government seems to be concentrating on disarming Americans to control us more."

I was pointing out what to me seemed what you were implying, but you already stated that that was not what you meant, so I understand now that's not what you were saying/implying. Remember that I can state things differently than you because English is not my first language.

As for your statement about Muaddib having acquired a thick hide, yes, you are right about that.
and hey if you have as thick a hide as that character Muaddib, that is great man.

In simpler terms, no one is moving threads just to be moving them or for any nefarious reason. Every action taken is open and transparent to the entire staff, just to ensure mistakes are kept to a minimum.

I'm glad this issue was resolved in true ATS fashion, with dialog and intellect.

Semper

But you see what we were/are trying to understand is the reason behind moving those threads, so we could understand what now is a BAN thread. Otherwise we would continue to post them in the wrong place, and seriously, the name "AbovePolitics implies, to me at least, that the subjects being discussed are only about politics.

BTW, no harm done, misunderstandings can happen, and if anything i said you think it was an insult that was not my intention.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Well as long as we are on good ground now...

But seriously, I would suggest that if you post it in BAN, it needs to have an "Alternative" ""Conspiracy"" angle that would be immediately apparent.

My rule of thumb is that if it is about the Government and it is NOT one of the main forums on ATS, UFOs, 911, Crypto etc, it is most likely political and will be moved there after the Staff reviews it.

Also remember the new 36 hour rule..

Semper

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
... I know everyone is very busy but,

is there any word on when and if the mutters is coming back?

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

It will be down for a couple of days while our contract IT team performs a serious of checks on our servers. The high-refresh rate of muttering was giving them some false indications.

It has nothing to do with the downtime, except that the reason they're performing checks is in preparation for yet another new bad-arsed database server. Today's downtime was related to the current server not handling a peak in activity very well.
S.O.

I know he said a couple, but apparently it's a few days. It'll be back.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Thanks elevatedone,

I forgot that in the summer we keep a more "mediterranean" approach to scheduling.

It's not really for me you know, I'm worried about what shenanigans Hellmutt will get himself into with all this spare time.

posted on Jun, 12 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I am having issues with my media profile; I have tried to change by profile (background,etc) and it will not save any changes, how do I save the changes?

Also I am trying to put a playlist in, like the ones some members have that automatically starts playing when you go to their profile, how do I do that?

Thanks, any help would be great.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Suggestion................suggestion.....................suggestion

Is there a seasoned ATS person on board, or a Mod, who is kind and patient who would be willing to start a thread and oversee it for

New people like me to practice?

"Practice area for Newbies" or something?

I tried to quote another member the other day, and made quite of mess of it.....it quoted their entire comment, and not just the sentence I intended.

Which we have been asked not to do.

So, now, I am unsure of myself, and want to use outside sources, but am afraid I will mess it up. And be subjected to viciousness.

If I only had somewhere to practice a couple of times, with someone there to correct my mistakes.

Isn't there someone who would open such a thread? Hmmmmm?
I would give you a flag. And a star. And think you were super cool.

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

You can always edit your posts if you make a mistake friend. The handy edit button is available at the top of every post you make for a little while before it's removed.

I'll be happy to give you some pointers on quoting and imbedding things. Just U2U me if you need anything.

As far as a thread goes, you can always try opening one in the ATS freshman's forum, I don't think the staff would mind.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

QUOTES
If you want to quote a post, just click quote button. You then delete all the stuff (inside the (quote)blah blah blah...(/quote) tags) from the post to leave the sentence you want to quote.

If you want to quote external text, click the [EX] button in the toolbar or the yellow speech bubble, and again delete all the unwanted text after you've pressed [OK].

YOUTUBE
If you want to insert a video, look at the url and copy just the last bit, for example:

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o9p54PzPT4

Just click [YouTube VIDEO] button in toolbar and paste the '_o9p54PzPT4' into the pop-up box.

PICTURES
If you want to embed a picture, save the picture to your computer (i use desktop and delete it once it's uploaded to ATS). Then click [Members Tools] in menu bar at top (blue one) and click [My pictures]. Then click upload. Once it's in your folder, click the picture and you'll see an ATS embed text box; copy ALL of the text and just insert it into your post.

HTH

[edit on 13-6-2009 by PrisonerOfSociety]

posted on Jun, 13 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by PrisonerOfSociety

Okay! Thanks. See, I never saw a word about deleting all the unwanted text around the sentence you want to quote.

So, this is helpful. As is the other info also. I will keep this to refer to.

Thank you POS.

[edit on 13-6-2009 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Jun, 14 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Formatting issue:

I posted a photo at the top of an OP. Now anyone visiting my profile has the picture thrust upon them.

(You'll see how it's messed up the formatting.)

new topics

top topics

<< 138  139  140    142  143  144 >>

join