It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 144
<< 141  142  143    145  146  147 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MajorDisaster

you mean this?

recent posts

I think they thought of that. Well something that will create the desired effect of what you are requesting.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Ugh. I personally never use that page; I find all the different colors and stuff really hard to look at. But you have a point in that it's pretty close to what I was talking about, as are the "firehoses".

I still think streamlining all new threads into one forum is the next logical step though.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorDisaster

With hundreds of new threads and thousands of new posts every day what exactly would be different?

It's about huge quantities of content, organizing that is a challenge. Further segregating it into a forum of "new threads" would do little other than just adding more to the existing pile.

Springer...

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Nevermind; now that I think more on it, the firehoses do pretty much the same thing, and without all sorts of moving around of threads. Sorry.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
All the kudos has gone. Bring back post and points on profiles.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by pharaohmoan

It's still available to you if you view your Extended Member Profile under the member tools tab at the top of the page or profile at the bottom of your post.

posted on Jun, 22 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
SO, i think you should get your money back for your new, sparkly servers, or perhaps it's just the ads are getting more intrusive it's lagging the site.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I'll add my post to this rather large thread. =0 This was taken from my thread which of course was deleted. I feel free speech on the site is like free speech in the US right now, we have "free speech zones" in this case free speech to talk about your dislikes about this site has one zone, here.

This was my thread before it was deleted, I guess we don't want to make ATS look bad even if they are real issues and wrong has really been done.

"I've been a member for a long while, since 10/03. I know there are many users here who have had longer membership but the point I'm trying to make is I've been around long enough to see a drastic change in how Moderators are handling threads.

When I first joined this board I felt it was a place where I could share information freely and I could be around like minded individuals. It seems as ATS grew so did the staff, naturally.

As of lately I've notice a much stricter staff or they seem to be just plain lazy. Many of my post which were either removed or changed to another forum were given no explanation. Often when I file a complaint/suggestion I either won't get a response back or I get two conflicting stories.

I've had friends banned, very large threads ( 100+ pages) suddenly locked, and given a very vague and brief explination. I mean when a thread goes on for over a year and it's locked suddenly I'd hope there was very good reason for it! The amount of time and effort spent by all the thread members really feels wasted. On top of that we never got straight forward answers, it left many of us disrespected. It seems we never get straight forward answers from the staff anymore.

If your going to censor information, ban people with out good reason at times, be lazy, or can't get your story straight then in my opinion your not "Part of the Best Staff on the Internet" your a cheap rip off. I don't really care If I'm breaking a T&C by posting this, it needs to said. Piss enough of your loyal members off and you'll be left with a hallow shell. We the members make your site and you better start showing us the respect we deserve. So often the staff comes off as arrogant and belittling. I for one am sick of putting up with this none sense and won't put up with your incompetence. It seems "Deny Ignorance" doesn't apply for the many of the staff here on ATS.

So good going, you just lost a 6 year member, I won't be returning. I guess popularity has gotten to you guys.

To me it seems your policies were written by a liability lawyer in effect ruining the whole purpose of this site. The truth and often times information can be upsetting and offensive to some. I guess ATS cares not about getting to the truth but they want to attract those who want the truth then subject them to over zealous strict mods.

The internet and world is a big place, you've just made your site worthless with your bs policies.

I'll add U2U that were sent to me.

'The issue here is NOT whether someone else did something or not; we are discussing you. "

So I'm being discussed, so it's not important if the Mods are doing something improper it's more important that I'm being discussed. Seems to be that he was threatening me.

The above poster linked my previous thread which was locked and his thread was removed. Just another example of what I'm talking about.

Here I'll link my thread, we'll see if that makes a difference.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

*Edit to remove a mods name.

[edit on 23-6-2009 by oconnection]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by oconnection

Dude you really need to chill out. I dont know what your experience with the mods has been, but I can say they have always been more than decent with me, even when I was in the wrong.

Anytime I have asked them why something has happened to a thread or why I had points taken away they have always given a reasonable and thorough explanation.

Now if I approach them when I am all hacked off and rude then things get a little more terse. But i have to say if someone is rude to me i usually get a little short back, so I understand when I say something out of line to one of them and they put me in my place.

Look the site is free so how much can you complain. They seem to be decent people that work here. People make mistakes and closing threads and saying something is off topic is subjective to say the least. There is no way around that, plus add to the fact that they have to interpret your intent. Think how hard that is even when you are texting amongst your friends, and you try to interpret their intent without speech cues and facial expressions. I usually just attribute misunderstandings with anybody on ATS as coming from the lack of social cues, take it all with a grain of salt, and give people the benefit that they didnt mean it in the negative way I took it.

And for whoever was complaing about the new servers, I thnk maybe you need a new computer because I have definitely seen an improvement in response time.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by oconnection
This was my thread before it was deleted, I guess we don't want to make ATS look bad even if they are real issues and wrong has really been done.

"I've been a member for a long while, since 10/03. I know there are many users here who have had longer membership but the point I'm trying to make is I've been around long enough to see a drastic change in how Moderators are handling threads.

How was it deleted? Its still here the exact post you quoted...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just closed and you were directed over here which is the thread for such issues?

I have had several threads moved that where considered in the wrong topic area...

So go out, get some fresh air, and come back to post just being a little mindful of where you post your stuff.

Freedom of speech comes with responsibility, and consequences... yelling fire in a crowded theater may be exercising your right to speak, but it will land you in jail., not to mention its just plain stupid

If you read the first amendment you will see that freedom of speech has many restrictions like obscenity and libel

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Was I shouting fire in public theater? Was my shouting unnecessary and unwarranted? Yes there are limits to free speech but was this the case here? Unfortunately I can not share the entire story without my posts being deleted and/ or my membership banned. Seems your quick to assume.

My thread in the Breaking Alternative News was in fact deleted.

I agree that we have some good Mods, I'll go out on a branch and give a hand to FredT, he's one of the few Mods I feel I get a human response and takes the time to respond and treats me like a peer. So thumbs up for this fellow.

[edit on 23-6-2009 by oconnection]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by grapesofraft

Anytime I have asked them why something has happened to a thread or why I had points taken away they have always given a reasonable and thorough explanation.

That is not always the case. We have some very good mods, we also have some that seem to have an occasional axe to grind. It happens, mods are only human and they are certainly not perfect.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Not a staff issue here, but a board issue...

For a while I wondered why ATS sells advertising space to advertisers that place blinking banners, pop ups and links to bad content ("You've won a price") etc...

In my humble opinion this is not contributing to the high standards ATS pursues. In fact it degrades the look of ATS in a certain way.

Now we can all agree advertising is a necessity to stay "alive". Server space, bandwidth and programming. All these things cost a lot of money, especially on a large website as ATS. However, there are a few ways to gain advertisers.

Being a web designer myself, I try to pick advertisers that will fit the public visiting my websites. This has multiple reasons. First and most important one is that it will not "scare off" the visitors to my website. They will see advertising that is in context to what they expect to see on my website. Second of all, since it is advertising that fits my content, people are more likely to click on these ads, generating visitors for the advertiser. So the advertising company will stay happy as well.

I am quite happy with the use of ad words for boards and smaller websites. The advertising is not intrusive (no blinking banners, or distracting pictures) and Google scans the text on the page to make the ads fit the content. In fact, I myself end up on interesting websites sometimes when reading a Google ad.

Large advertising space (like top banners) I like to sell to individual companies that have (once again) a relation to the content. For ATS this could be durable investment companies, survival gear sellers, companies that specialize in books on ATS related topics etc etc.

This approach would, in my humble opinion, lead to a more content visitor experience. Also it would satisfy the advertiser because the visitor is more likely to click on the ad.

What say you?

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by DrDragonfly

Worst Ads Ever! (SkepticOverlord's Ad Hitlist)

I hate(ed) ads too. But SkepticOverlord has put up a place where if you see an add that is offensive, stupid, annoying etc you can post about it.

What he needs is as much information about the ad as possible.

Right click on the ad (that way you don't open whatever it's trying to sell you) and go to properties. Copy the information displayed and paste it into a word or other doc.

A screen shot of the ad helps as well so that he can track down the offensive ad and rid it from you.

for a while there was a shouting smiley ad that drove everyone nuts, as well as a talking Ipod ad. With the right information S.O. was able to abolish these ads from our beloved site.

Still think whoever came up with the talking smiley ad deserved to be water boarded in Abu Ghraib.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction!

I ran into the same ad you are mentioning on another site...It scared me to death the first time.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Probably already been mentioned, but I'm pressed for time this morning:

Has the '300 club' ad-removal been revoked?

If not, then why am I seeing those dodgy MSNBC banners down the right hand side again?

Just wondering.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
This may have been asked and sorry if it has.

Ok so I've noticed when someone has a warning next to their name and you click it it leads to their post, and then I've clicked another persons warning and it leads to the same exact post this has happened a few times (yeah I am nosy haha) but why does this happen is it the same person with a different name and IP's are linked or something else?

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
How is this thread:

Report: Missing South Carolina Governor Traveled to Argentina, Not Appalachian Trail

Considered news?

I mean honestly?

The man had an affair, and they went on some massive witch hunt for it and ATS is following it like a puppy watches a dog on TV.

I see alot of threads that don't belong in the Breaking News section, perhaps a reminder of the rules would be good for everybody?

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Probably posted already, so apologies in advance.

Ever since the server upgrade and the inception of those awful ads that expand to cover the screen, my firefox browser lags like hell using ATS.

When i click [my posts] or [recent posts], it takes ages to load and sometimes hangs, so i have to restart browser.

I'll add ATS to my noscript, to alleviate the frustration.

new topics

top topics

<< 141  142  143    145  146  147 >>

join