It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 136
<< 133  134  135    137  138  139 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
This isn't a no man's land, this is the thread for the discussion of issues people have with ATS and that is exactly what your thread was.

Rather than expecting people to follow hundreds of different threads dealing with this topic the staff made the decision direct all such questions into one thread.

This makes it easier for the staff to answer the questions and comments posted and it makes it easier for intersted members to follow along.

I'm not sure why you see this as a negative thing.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkAkaSilent

Can a moderator please explain this to me.

I'm sure they can...

But, I will be happy to break it down for you...

You got diverted to the ATS Issue thread because you have
Issues

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I looked long and hard for a place to make my comment on the new level system. I couldn't find a place to female dog and moan so I started a thread about it. That thread lasted 3 replies. Had I not looked at my previous posts I still would not know about this thread unless I happened to be here when it got bumped for new content.

MY original post:

Comment on the colour coding status stuff The thread on the subject won't let me post a comment so here is what I wrote up and would like to post because it expresses my feelings on the subject: This new system is not very encouraging to me. I can't believe I am an apprentice. Is there a course I can take so I can get this changed somehow? I am not a fan of this at all. This makes me feel like a loser. Over at ebay if you get one policy violation as a seller you get a red bar that states your seller policy compliance is "Very Low". This then sits on your homepage for 45 days to six months depending on arbitrary rulings from above. It is similarly not encouraging. Internet is serious business.

I wanted to post a complaint about the level system so now I have.

Suggestion: When a thread is closed perhaps the person that closes the thread could send a U2U so that the mistake does repeat its self to the posters embarrassment and the moderators frustration.

The level status is silly which is why the old bars worked better in that they only meant something to those who cared to care about them. It seems to me the actually wording is kind of in your face. What does it matter? Why are the words there? You could have someone that hangs out all day making comments on every thread at a "higher" level than someone that stops by from time to time with outstanding information.

I liked the old system where you had the Owner, Moderators and everyone else. Maybe I am too obsessive compulsive about reaching goals. If anyone pays less attention to me solely for my "Apprentice level" status then that is their loss as you will come to see in due time. I am working on a couple hot potatoes.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I go away for a short while, and another change in the way things work around here. Again, as I stated when the "Minimum Post" stuff was added, “if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it”. What was wrong with the original skittles? I find it difficult to believe that anyone was complaining about them, considering that most people didn't know how they worked anyway. I didn’t mind the titles either, but I can see where some folks might have. I think that the real reason for this change should be obvious to anyone who knows how web hits works. I knew we were heading down this road when Lear was brought in here, and given a platform to spew out science fiction. Away from denying ignorance, and more toward sensationalism.

Anyhow...Nice to know that those of us who have contributed quality posts to the site over the years, but were not big thread starters, are appreciated. I now look like I have the profile of a 5 year old ATS Noob!

BTW did the code for the "Preview Post", after an "Edit", ever get fixed? That has been broken for years, yet we are modifying the skittles again?

Ah well, for those who don’t like it, I guess you can give it about a month and it will change again.

[edit on 6/3/2009 by defcon5]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

I've just now noticed you can't "star" a posts which says exactly what i feel. Is that just for the Issues thread or all the threads??

Personally i couldn't care less what they do to my status or point or whatever but i can understand why you "Defcon5" have a problem with this...

I've seen many of your replies and must say i always have much respect for your point of view. The fact that you have been with ATS almost from the start just doesn't seem to correspond to what in seeing below your avatar.

Oh well, maybe it would be best to affoid this site for a month and see what they come up with next.......

Peace

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Hey,
Thanks for that.
IMHO, it’s kind of a harsh move on those of us who only really try and respond to other peoples questions, but don’t really have anything we feel is worthy of opening a thread for ourselves. I guess we don’t “Contribute” in ways that matter to the site through directly generating site hits via new content, even though we generate hits through making that content more interesting or controversial (besides the hits we generate through our own participation. ie... hitting the refresh button).

BTW, you cannot star posts in the Board Questions and Answers Forum, not just this thread.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Can any mod tell me what has happened to my signature? The last line no longer shows. Tried modifying the font size, but that causes unpredictable results.

Thanks in advance ...

[edit on 6/3/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Why is the thread about the book Jim Marrs wote been on the front page (in the div with the most important recent threads) for DAYS now?

It shouldn't have been in that spot to begin with, let alone for days on end.

I thought the banners were used for advertising....

[edit on 3-6-2009 by sn00daard]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sn00daard

Did you not notice the name of the book? After noticing that it mught become clear that the book is ours, we co-published it.

Springer...

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

I did notice the title and also figured you guys were making some kind of monetary gain on it.

I just found it strange it was posted in that particular place for such a lenghty period of time (compared to the time threads usually spend in that place)

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

59 applause, 43 flags, 1927 stars, Bronze and....... "this is a critical mind."

That doesn't shout out "noob" to me at all. I see when you registered with ATS, and combined with all of the above, that says to me, "seasoned and important contributor."

cheers

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Right, but that is in the profile, and the first impression (which is all most will ever see) says no flag contribution. Ten years from now it will most likely still be a gray bar unless I start posting threads like: “I saw a light in the sky last night”, which I refuse to do unless there is something to it. The majority of people with experience in fields of expertise, such as aviation mentioned above, will never post a “sensationalist” thread like that, so they are punished for having experience in a given field. Most of your real professional style threads are rather dry , to the point, and hard to debate, so they do not generate much in the way of replies or flags.

BTW...
I would like to know how the “subject matter experts” here are chosen? Is it based on any actual expertise, if so why are people like OZtheWeatherMan & Essan, who have both posted their professional credentials here not “subject matter experts”?

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkAkaSilent

Just to say I saw that post. The guy basically trashed ATS, casting serious aspersions on a certain key figure in particular. As a result it did come across as a personal attack even though it touched on aspects of the current debate.

There was another aspect that was pretty insidious, but there's no point in giving a deleted post the time of day IMHO.

Just thought you might value the opinion of a fellow member, though an official response may also transpire.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I have just spent a half hour trying to find out what the heck the flag contribution thing is on our sidebar - and finally find a post that refers me to this thread - this thread as a whole not the individual posts about that issue - I'm sorry I may be lazy but I am not going to read 136 pages to try to find this one issue - can someone please please point me to the right post referring to it. Or just give me a quick rundown on how it works

This is why I dislike the ATS issue thread - things get lost in it - and I don't read it because I can honestly say that most of the issues people bring up aren't something that bothers me - I only have limited time to spend on here and I want to read the things that are important to me - when the issues were individual threads on the board business I could read the ones that I was wondering about also - now it seems to get lost in the sauce.

I know you all had a great reason to do it this way and I am sure you all had lots of discussions about how it would work and why it is good but it is just confusing this little old white haired person .

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by justme1640

Here ya go justme:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
This new system, the flag contribution level, is stupid in my opinion.
We already had people that were star and flag whores before this was implemented, now its going to be even worse.
I dont understand what was wrong with the basic and simple post count and ATS point system.

Its really so easy to get a thread flagged. Create a thread, making outrageous claims, especially about UFO's or Aliens and youre guaranteed 50 flags.

I guess the admins are trying to encourage more contribution of new material, instead of just reading and replying to existing threads.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Very quick question. When posting an image in your post, Does HTML not work? Do I need to use direct link or what do I do?

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

Hi jess,

If you mean the [ /img] tags no they don't post the picture any more just the link to it.

If you have an image you want to post you must (if it is common use or your own) load it up first into M@ATS and link it from there.

Hope that helps.

new topics

top topics

<< 133  134  135    137  138  139 >>

join