It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 137
<< 134  135  136    138  139  140 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

HTML codes won't work in the forums. Only bb-code. And it's correct what schrodingers dog said, you'll need to host your pics on media@abovetopsecret.com to be able to embed directly within posts. Media@Abovetopsecret.com (log in with your ats username and password) also has a blog function, and HTML codes will work there

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Thank you very much, appreciate it =]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Whoa... I was all worried when I flagged a thread,it didn't show up in the flag count for the thread.

But it does

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I am not sure what the policy is, and I have read a few posts that say you have to have 'thick skin' to be on ATS, but I still wonder... How much is too much? I see so many posts where the poster calls someone an idiot, or stupid, or some other putdown, and it just seems like, it's ok for them to do that. Is that right? I don't want to do Alerts that won't get anywhere because it's not really something that is considered to be a big deal. But it is really starting to grate on me. I thought insults and personal attacks were frowned upon, so I am wondering where is the line? What constitutes an infraction?

Chrono

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Chronogoblin

In many cases using the alert button is the only way our moderators will see the infraction. We're a pretty high volume forum and it's impossible for staff to see every post, so if you see something that you feel needs to be corrected, please hit the alert button so the staff can be made aware of it.

As far as what should be reported... well, it's always good to keep in mind that some topics will always be heated. Some good examples of that are Israel/Palestine, 9/11 theories, and of course the much beloved political wrangling. Those are topics where there tends not to be a middle ground that people can settle on. In those topics you'll see people attacking each other's theories, opinions, and even beliefs. As long as it's done in a civil manner that's not a bad thing. People have passion for these topics and heated debate is inevitable. However, we do draw the line at personal attacks. Attacking someone's points and ideas is one thing, attacking the member is another. So basically if you see someone saying "your theory is flawed and incorrect" that's really not something to report, while "you're an ignorant clown and have no idea what you're talking about" would be.

In our community we take pride in the way our members are able to debate and disagree without resorting to personal attacks. It's the personal attacks that are what the staff aims to stop and should be reported.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
This makes it easier for the staff to answer the questions and comments posted and it makes it easier for intersted members to follow along.

I'm not sure why you see this as a negative thing.

not to sound rude or anything, but this isnt the first time a member has questioned the incongruity of this thread.

in over 135 odd pages there are a multitude of unanswered questions, there are also a number of questions that have been answered but are lost amidst a morass of inconsequential posts.

how is it easier for members to follow a 135 page thread than it would be to follow a 1 or 2 page thread dedicated to a particular topic?

how is it easier for a member to find an answer to a particular question that is somewhere within a 135 page long thread that has been answered by a few members and staff with different answers to the same question?

a better question might be "how is this thread a positive thing?"

i challenge a staff member to troll through these 135 pages and honestly answer how many legitimate questions by members have gone unanswered.

(i have, and am willing to accept an answer within a factor of 10).

a better alternative would be to have 2 or 3 staff members specifically allocated to dealing with this particular thread, answering questions as they arise and removing all the other "yeah what he said", "the staff are always right", "if you dont like it leave", "i hate ats", "where's my hat" type posts.
this thread might only be 15 pages long if that was the case.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by AncientMy Enemy

If there is any question you want answered, simply post it or use the Suggestion-Form @ member-tools or simply drop someone a U2U. Or use the search function to see whether a thread has been made. Its really as simple as that (no rummaging through 135 required).

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by AncientMy Enemy
i challenge a staff member to troll through these 135 pages and honestly answer how many legitimate questions by members have gone unanswered.

(i have, and am willing to accept an answer within a factor of 10).

You would be missing the fact that some of these issues are encountered via private message with Staff. We can appreciate your looking out for the integrity of this thread and its' purpose but I can assure you that not all of the issues are resolved within it.

Edit for grammar.

[edit on Fri, 05 Jun 2009 13:57:10 -0500 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

We just don't have the Mojo required to handle searching through, following dozens of threads each and every day.

It's a cost of trying to be responsive to your membership. Now if someone had some Mojo4sale we could likely buy some and maybe do better but I doubt it.

Springer...

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
reply to post by Chronogoblin

In many cases using the alert button is the only way our moderators will see the infraction. We're a pretty high volume forum and it's impossible for staff to see every post, so if you see something that you feel needs to be corrected, please hit the alert button so the staff can be made aware of it.
And when that doesn't work....???

Take a look at this thread and chime in your 2¢, if you wouldn't mind. Thread's almost a week old, made it to the top of the SS forum page, and not a single mod has commented there.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

The policy is that we would, in a perfect forum, be able to discuss those issues with civility and decorum.

There is an inherent problem though...one that cannot be addressed by moderation with contentious topics.

There will always be people who view organizations and their secrecy with skepticism. And some of them are going to blame that secrecy. It's a sociological issue and not an issue with the progression of a discussion forum...after all, a discussion forum is designed to vette the concerns of people who have not the capacity to realize resolution in their real life.

To generalize further, there will always be generalizations based upon the given information...relatively speaking...

Please be patient; better, be proactive. We as a Staff cannot get to every post and every concern. We do our best. But matters that are centered upon rhetoric are most often going to become the responsibility of the poster.

We, as Staff, are not here to direct conversation.

We are here to insure that conversation is conducted in a civil manner. That said, any uncivil post needs to be alerted if indeed the violation is of an egregious nature.

We as a community need to take responsibility for the discussion and its' viability. How else can people learn?

Is it not a better endeavour to be patient and teach people rather than defend a position on semantics?

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Perhaps I'm thin skinned, but if someone posted here "The only good jew is a dead jew" they'd at the very least get an extreme T&C badge slapped over their post. It may be semantics, but I don't see how substituting other groups of people, be it race, religion, sexual orientation, or yes, association, changes the vitriol of the one who posts it.

Again, quoting Springer, "If you are found to be spreading hate rather than discussing the policies, actions and world events your account will post banned immediately and your membership will be reviewed by staff."

Is it because membership in a secret society is a choice? Or why does "The only good Mason is a dead Mason" not fit the same criteria of other such speech?

Really not trying to be argumentative here, just trying to understand.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoshNorton
Or why does "The only good Mason is a dead Mason" not fit the same criteria of other such speech?

Really not trying to be argumentative here, just trying to understand.

I haven't visited the Ss forum of late...is that a real example and was it alerted...because I would agree that to be an unwarranted and actionable topic/thought.

Which brings us back to the point of alerting contentious topics. I/We can't get to everything immediately. We as Staff have schedules as do the rest of the membership and we also have our own interests. We can't get to everything all of the time and that isn't a reflection on our 'work ethic'...it is a reflection on capacity to interact with the as much as we can interact...

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Sorry to pile in on this, but the answer is quite simple.

If you see something that is obviously a "hate" statement, regardless of the race, colour or creed issue (and let's remember that Masons could be considered in the creed category) then hit the alert button.

It will be attended to if the alert has merit.

I speak from experience.

Mods can't monitor every post in every thread - but if we can all muck in and help weed out the obvious hate issues, we will make all our lives easier.

A small point as well - don't react to it. Ignore it and hit that button.

Job done.

But don't cry wolf either

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

Do you have a link to post that proclaims that about Masons? If so, did you alert it? If not, why not?

Please u2u me the link and watch what happens.

Springer...

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you......you are a good friend !

I humbly beg to clarify, just to see if I possibly understand correctly after much searching with my feeble light.....

Flag contribution level means : flags given to me by others....NOT flags that I have given to others ?

( or as SO said, "...a measure of flags-earend.") LOL

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer

We just don't have the Mojo required to handle searching through, following dozens of threads each and every day.

It's a cost of trying to be responsive to your membership. Now if someone had some Mojo4sale we could likely buy some and maybe do better but I doubt it.

Springer...

i posted under that moniker because as you know mojo4sale is post banned, and i wasn't stirring just pointing out what i consider an "issue" with the issues thread, i also posted what i thought could be an alternative solution.
do with it what you will, even "ancient enemies" can still be civil and on occasion offer assistance to one another.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
The Flag contriubtion Level thing SUCKS. It doesnt take count stars or posts....only flags? That sucks mang.

I kinda liked the "old" system better.

posted on Jun, 5 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I cannot find anywhere that I can write a "signature", or include my location. How do you do this?

new topics

<< 134  135  136    138  139  140 >>

join