It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 134
<< 131  132  133    135  136  137 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

Did you get my last test?

And did you try switching browsers?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Nah, didn't get it. I will switch from firefox and try yahoo..........

Thanks for the attention to the matter.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Have you tried rebooting your machine and then log back on ATS ?
If you have more than one browser you try another and see if the problem is there as well

and if it persists try going over to BTS and make a thread in the computer
forum.

and if you do go to BTS check out the mutterbox you can find it in the recent thread or in individual threads.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Well..............

IA hangs head in shame...........

I switched to internet explorer and lo and behold I now have my U2U access again.

Sorry for being a drama mama Queen.

Well maybe at least we can make this an issues thread again and stop beating that poor dead pulverized horse!

Thank you all, Really..........

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Ah, well done ...

Meltdown averted.

Now ... where am I?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Nice to see the issues thread used for...... board issues

Glad to help. Now you'll have all manner of silly U2Us to send to the cornfield.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Heavy sigh~~~

Yep, business as usual.

Now maybe I can move on to see what I have missed in the world for the last couple of daze~

And fix my darn computer~

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
reply to post by americandingbat

Well someone who sees the bar shouldn't assume because you have a low filled bar that you are not a "worthy poster", that is just immature.

That's how ATS has worked for years under the points system.
Mostly related to threads though I think. Not necessarily just individual posts.

ATS points were only indicative of ATS points.
They weren't necessarily indicative of maturity, intelligence, or overall knowledge.

But people with alot of points on ATS got alot of online cred on ATS. And, thus, a thread started by such a member is always going to get more posts and attention in general than some newb like me with a couple thousand points. This is not a grype, it's not a complaint, this is simply the way it works.
Very few threads started by newbies ever really get that same attention. Even though that person could have twice the level of expertise or knowledge on the subject. Points used to make people here assume alot about someone's character. I just never liked that. It doesn't make sense. And It's not fair to the newer, mature, intelligent members trying to contribute something. When they can't even get anyone to really care about their threads. Some of these threads the newer members are posting are just mind boggling.

The point system, the star system, they never worked the way I think they were really intended. For alot of reasons. For starters, People are more likely to star posts on the first 4 or 5 pages because those are the pages people are more likely to read in a thread dozens of pages long. The people who are always first to respond to threads in certain sections of these discussion forums are always the same exact people. That's fine. I have no beef with that. But it definately seems some people just sit around all day waiting for new threads they think have merit.

I, like many other people, don't care enough to do that. Nor do I have the time. And I, personally, don't care if I get stars or not and I'm perfectly happy to join a discussion on page 16, 30, 100, it doesn't matter to me.. And it is only because I have something I think I can contribute to the discussion that is not directly being discussed. Sometimes, just to bring the discussion back on topic.

This is how it sometimes works, from what I've seen.. (just an example)
A Certain high-point holding, respected member on ATS starts a thread. Certain other people like and respect these other people so they post there too. Then when certain people are seen posting in that thread, it seems certain other individuals chime in too. The thread ends up 60 pages long and is a very interesting discussion. Stars and flags abound.

Now, take this scenario..

A new member has just joined ATS and starts the very same thread with the very same content in the very same section of the forums.. The thread is just statistically doomed from the start to not really go anywhere. Where if people actually participated without biases or pre-conceived ideas about character or intelligence it could be just as interesting a discussion. But it won't ever really get off the ground. That's the problem.

What really DOES bother me is this..
It's the principal of the thing.
I still consider myself a fairly new member to ATS even though I joined in 2006. But Alot of threads here get no attention when they should.. Some threads will go on 30 pages when the thread shouldn't even exist in the first place. Alot of times, half the thread just ends up people re-posting the same material because they didn't read the thread.. Then you get 3 or 4 people posting to correct them.. I mean, that's a page of posts that shouldn't exist right there. Half of them getting stars for their posts..

Then you end up with people posting things like "GOOD POST! Starred and flagged" and they end up with 15 stars for doing that and all the points along with it? (I can cite a few great examples).

-ChriS

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I have been looking around and I am sure the answer is out there somewhere but I can't find it. Why is it that my flag contribution level bar was almost full yesterday but today I log on and it is now not even close to full and it is a different color.

Where is the decoder ring located again? I can't tell if I did something good or bad or if the entire system just changed. Usually we get a U2U for a change, so I am suspecting it isn't a global thing.

I.... fear....change.... I am getting confuzzeled.... somebody help!

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Ah but this is change you can believe in... even if you don't know what exactly has changed, how it was changed, or why.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
Now that's a brilliant idea! Gold stars and bright red X's in our mini-profile representing our grammar and spelling ability

fantastic idea ding – really great

may i get an abonement on the bright red X.s?
getting 5 X.s means entering americandingbat.s grammar lesson?

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Wow. I was one of the people who did not like the labels/titles displayed in my miniprofile, and I also whined (yes, whined) about it in a post in this thread a couple of days ago. And after a little break from ATS, I come back and see that they have been moved out of sight and to the profile page!

I want to say a big thank you to SO for this.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
My only problem with the current system is it visibly rewards only those whose threads get flagged a billion times. Being one of the many who respond to threads much more than I start them, this honestly looks like our contributions don't matter since we aren't the ones rewarded when a thread gets flagged. Were it not for the people who respond to threads, none of those threads would have the flags or post/page count that they do and that deserves some recognition that isn't buried on a profile that no one ever goes to just as much as someone whose thread gets flagged.

I would much rather be labeled an apprentice or novice, even though I've been here since 2006 and have well over 1000 posts, than have a big empty flag level bar on my mini profile just because I contribute to existing threads rather than start sensationalized threads just for flags. With the previous contributor levels I actually felt a bit of motivation to put even more thought into my posts and even created a few more threads about things I found important, which surprisingly resulted in a few more flags, and to generally contribute more to the boards. With this system, I actually feel less inclined to participate in existing threads and have no desire whatsoever to start any new threads.

I don't expect any changes just because of my post, I am fully aware that SO and the rest of the admin will do as they see fit regardless of what I say or think about it. I just felt the need to voice my opinion.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

at the bottom of this post Karl:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I think that helps with your query..

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Thank you for the clarification. So, the color system really did just change? It wasn't my imagination....

I am glad there is only one color to deal with.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I thought you were aware at 20 applause? I have no badge on my profile. I'm whining.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

Hint:

You have knocked on the door, it is open, you need to step through

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
reply to post by seagrass

Hint:

You have knocked on the door, it is open, you need to step through
oh so I need 21..... this really is a game....

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Does anyone know how you access your flagged threads?
Cheers.

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

reply to post by karl 12

Karl, if you click on Public Profile under "member tools" on the top of your screen, that'll take you to your profile. There, you can see a summary of all of your own threads, and at the bottom of each summary is the number of flags each thread received.

cheers

top topics

<< 131  132  133    135  136  137 >>

join