It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 131
<< 128  129  130    132  133  134 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

Obviously because thats not what the system was intended for.

BUT, thats what people are doing. Flagging sprees to give more color. The content of the thread is minimal now in terms of getting more letters filled with color in your avatar. Because people associate a full bar with a knowledgeable poster. Argue it all you want but they do.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
Seriously.... the most childish thing I've read in this thread...

If my good-humored post was the most childish thing you've read in this thread, then your reading skills need some serious work.

I think people are taking this whole thing a bit too seriously.

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
This is getting ridiculous.

Why are the staff and mods catering to this kind of rhetoric I wonder? It is ok to express your opinion and not be happy with the way something is going, but at the end of the day, this was a RECOGNITION program.

If you will read my posts in this thread from today, I RECOGNIZE that this program is designed to RECOGNIZE those who contribute popular threads and I have no problem with that at all. I think it's a perfectly reasonable thing for the admin to want to do, although it's not the criteria I personally would choose.

What I said was that I don't particularly like having a thing in my profile that RECOGNIZES me as a non-contributing member. And I know that's not the purpose, and not the intended meaning, but that is the impression given. I think it would be nice if people had the OPTION of turning the bar off if they so desired. Alternatively, if the bar simply didn't appear until a member already had the 50 flags needed to get some color in it.

link   
Wow.

This whole storm of bickering, arguing, whining and complaining had to be expected as soon as SO began making changes to the mini-profiles, but I just want to say, kudos to SO and the rest of the staff for weathering all this and handling it professionally!

Also, kudos to SO for taking a stand and saying, this is the way it's going to be, deal with it.

But, just speaking realistically - the whining and complaining and bitching will NEVER stop until you have indicators for Applause, Flags, Stars, and Points. Those four, minimum.

If you leave it at only Flags, the whole "so, what, all my Applause and Stars don't count anymore, so I'm not a good contributor anymore?!?!" crowd will NEVER stop complaining.

IT. JUST. WONT. STOP.

So in the interest of trying to get things back to some semblance of normality - please, SO and staff, please consider having those Four bars or indicators instead of just the one. As well as a quick link somewhere that turns all the ranking indicators off, for those who don't like them.

I'd be willing to bet that those simple changes would please like 99% of people, and bring the gripefest to a final, merciful close.

(Also, "Mood" inexplicably got axed..... huh?
)

link   

Why abuse the system? Why not just come here, read, enjoy and add to discussions that interest you.

When presented with a thread that you enjoy, learned from etc, then acknowlegde that thread with a flag or the individual post with a star.

Why go around the board flagging for the heck of it, it doesn't make sense and in my opinion is silly.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by deadline527

That isn't at all what I said.

You guys do have a system for recognition it's called Applause and stars.

~Keeper

Dont be a fool. Nobody is going to look at every persons profile to see how many stars and applauses they have. The first thing they will see is that stupid bar. They will say, hey, that persons bar is empty, they must be new or that they never contribute to the site when in fact the people who contribute the MOST are us discussing the topics at hand.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

I can't speak in an official capacity... but if it was my board.. it would result in a banning.

People flag their friends anyway regardless of merit. It's happened to me;
It's happened to you.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Can we please stop fighting over this now.

I know ding was joking but please don't go on a "flagging spree." I would be nothing more than a "up yours" to the staff and owners who do their best, with apparently very little appreciation, to provide the best experience possible for the membership.

Edit to add: Ding, not a bad idea btw not to have the "meter" showing until it has something to actually show.

[edit on 1 Jun 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Why abuse the system? Why not just come here, read, enjoy and add to discussions that interest you.

When presented with a thread that you enjoy, learned from etc, then acknowlegde that thread with a flag or the individual post with a star.

Why go around the board flagging for the heck of it, it doesn't make sense and in my opinion is silly.

silly should get you banned? I'd be dead by now.
it's happening....

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

My comments were not directed at your post, to be honest I missed that in your post.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   

I asked why it would result in banning if you ran the board.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Because I run a tight ship.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by deadline527

That's your perception of the matter. Kind of pretentious to speak for everybody else don't you think?

And I am not a fool, I simply don't understand what arguing and excuse by french but "Bitc*snip* about it will accomplish. It's done and done.

I am no fool and neither are you. There is no solution that makes everybody happy. I am sorry but I understand what Flags are, and what the word contribution means.

So therefore when I look at Flag Contribution Level, I think.."Ohh that's a person who creates alot of flags that get alot of attention" I don't think "Ohh that member is sooo much better than another, and ohh that members knows what he's talknig about". They could be a complete fool.

Making assumptions based on a single piece of information is silly.

~Keeper

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Because I run a tight ship.
Then I am going to go flag all YOUR threads.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Can we get a similar system put in place for stars then ?

The critical analysis of posts are surely just as important as finding content to buffer the site with.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by gYvMessanger]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
On the other hand, there is currently a Dave Matthews Band concert on FUSE.

Nice way to take a break, watching a concert from the best seat in the house.

Oh, and it's LIVE, as in live!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   

I can't speak in an official capacity... but if it was my board.. it would result in a banning.

Ditto. Totally agree. That is ridiculous to go on some binge flagging spree to make a dissent statement. Not only that, but it will seriously undermine the whole flagging system.

Hey, I tried to get people to come to some consensus on what should be flagged, and no one wants to talk about that. If everyone wants to intentionally NOT have any consensus on that, and have flag justification left up to their own discretion, then I suppose the staff would have a hard time in determining who is "flag binging."

Seems like some want to hold all the cards and then bitch cause they can't have the joker too.

That said though, there was I think a valid point brought up about the non-thread starters appearing not to be contributors, when their input on threads is just as valuable as the OP's, and often, more!

Maybe a second similar bar should be added based on stars- cap the sukka at say 5,000 or something. Or that could be driven by a star to post ratio or something. Something that also appreciates sheer commentators.

I would strongly encourage reconsidering the suggestion to just list the hard stats in the mini profiles. You can't argue with the truth.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Glad it isn't your board. Not saying that there isn't a place for you here, but that whole "I run a tight ship" thing.

Geez, I had a boyfriend from the navy and everyday he came home and inspected the premises for problems and dust. It drove me and my kids crazy!!!

There will always be the rebels, as a matter of fact I bet most of the founders of this site, (members) can't speak for admin, are/were rebels!!!

This isn't a ship.

It is a community??? Yes???

And hopefully we can find a common ground as EQUALS once again.....Like in the good ole days, the days that made this site great!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
............and by coincidence they just started playing "Spaceman".

ATS synchronicity?

Sometimes I think we, and I mean me, can talk something to the point where I can become adrift of the GOAL. There has to be a goal in one's actions and purpose, even if the goal is mere entertainment.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Okay enough bitching...

Everyone stand and say it with me;

I pledge allegiance to the flags of the abovetopsecret forums and to the contributions for which they stand, one community under the T&C with with paranoia and conspiracies for all.

Now get out there and create some great thread starters!

Lighten up you all.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Using flag count as the method for member recognition doesn't make much sense to me; you have to make threads to get flags, and not all good-quality posters make threads often.
If anything this should be based on stars, as any and all posts can be starred.. that is a much better indication of quality posts.

new topics

top topics

<< 128  129  130    132  133  134 >>

join